HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton has a bulging disc, out one month (updated Tuesday, Sept. 28; post#202)

Old
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Homer said we arent looking outside for another goaltender.....

Homer also said Leighton was coming back Thursday....

He also said we were gonna find a goalie this past summer.

I guess everyday is opposite day for Homer. So there could be a chance we find an outside goalie...
I remember Holmgren vehemently denying any contract talks with Ray Emery, 2 days later he is in a Flyers uniform.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:06 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Ray Emery may come into play in a few months. Training in Toronto now, but needs time to fully rehab injury.
-Dreger

Now I see Homer's plan...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Stockholm Syndrome

Quote:
-Dreger

Wait... what?

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
-Dreger

I thought of something similar earlier:

Bob's salary is bigger than Leighton's, and conveniently Lappy is suddenly having serious PCS...

My tinfoil hat is two sizes too big...

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:52 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

it keeps happening

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:53 PM
MsWoof

From Panotch:

Quote:
I asked Paul Holmgren about Ray Emery early in the game. Will have an update on Emery on CSNPhilly.com later
God help us.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
From Panotch:

God help us.
What the **** is wrong with people?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Ray Emery was in Philadelphia last week to clear out his apartment, get his car and tie up loose ends. He is also seeing his physician at Duke University, according to GM Paul Holmgren. It’s not known whether Emery will ever play competitively again. He has AVN disease in his hip. Emery still wants to make a comeback, but needs two months of rehab before being cleared to go on the ice.
Loose pucks

Nikolai Zherdev continued to look impressive with one of the quickest wrists on the club. He took a snap-rebound for a goal, his fourth this preseason. … Zherdev played again with Jeff Carter and James van Riemsdyk. … Brian Boucher played the entire game in goal. …
The Flyers took too many penalties. ... The Devils tied it with a power-play goal from Travis Zajac late. ... Ilya Kovalchuk got the third goal.
http://www.csnphilly.com/09/28/10/Gu...415&feedID=704

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
No idea how you can rehab from a necrotic hip, but that isn't a basket we should put any eggs in.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2563
Carter Hutton, we hardly knew ye.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Mgkibbles

I miss Razor. He was one of the better goalies in the league last year during the stretches when he wasn't battling injuries. Hopefully he can make a full, or at least somewhat full recovery, but I have my doubts.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
BernieParent

I propose that Leighton decide to have surgery ... and become a hip donor.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
No idea how you can rehab from a necrotic hip, but that isn't a basket we should put any eggs in.
Homer's reaction to that sentence:

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:58 PM
BernieParent

Great photo, Valhoun. I have to agree; it's like Holmgren wouldn't be content with just winning, but he has to go the made-for-TV-movie angle.

OT: Coyotes just got screwed. Flames goal went through the mesh just outside the post.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:19 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Sharks have 3 NHL goalies. They are going to have to move one of them and Niemi isn't in the cards. Your GM should be interested in Thomas Greiss who backed up Nabby last year. Looks a little like Turco handling the puck and has the opportunity to develop into a starter. Good background in international experience and comes at $550k for 2 years. Give him a shot and when Leighton comes back, either Boucher or Greiss get sent down. Think you can still sign Guerin if Leighton goes in LTIR?

Personally, I would rather keep Greiss as a backup on our team and move Nitty to a team that can part with a top 4 defenseman. But ... I guess you guys aren't in the market for Nitty.

09-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Sharks have 3 NHL goalies. They are going to have to move one of them and Niemi isn't in the cards. Your GM should be interested in Thomas Greiss who backed up Nabby last year. Looks a little like Turco handling the puck and has the opportunity to develop into a starter. Good background in international experience and comes at $550k for 2 years. Give him a shot and when Leighton comes back, either Boucher or Greiss get sent down. Think you can still sign Guerin if Leighton goes in LTIR?

Personally, I would rather keep Greiss as a backup on our team and move Nitty to a team that can part with a top 4 defenseman. But ... I guess you guys aren't in the market for Nitty.
Greiss haven't proven nothing in NHL right now, i'd rather see Backlund or Boucher as #1 than Greiss.

Komarov47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:22 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Bob, welcome to the club.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

You know what? Screw it. If Backlund isn't 100% for the opener, give Bob the backup spot with Boosh. It'll be the first year the Vezina is awarded to two goalies.

sigh

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Komarov47

What piss me off is that we may rush a young great goalie just because Homer is an ass and didn't go after a #1 goalie this offseason.

Komarov47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:39 AM
kicksave27

goaltending is just about the worst possible thing to do for your body. It definitely puts a strain on your lower back. Just the act of going into the butterfly 100 times a game compresses the disks in your spine. Then there's the hip, knee, groin and concussion thing. I'm only 31 and I'm a mess. Though i did alot of core work when I was playing in college, and that fixes back issues.

Though if he screwed it up working out, he was definitely doing something wrong. Anyone remember Dan Blackburn from the rangers, he basically lost the use of his catching arm in a lifting incident.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Kaktus*

"We got a curveball thrown at us,"

Did anyone else see it? lol

All summer long 95% of Flyers fans complained about goaltending and he is talking curveballs like it's a surprise..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
"We got a curveball thrown at us,"

Did anyone else see it? lol

All summer long 95% of Flyers fans complained about goaltending and he is talking curveballs like it's a surprise..
How do you explain the top 4 teams from the playoffs last season all doing a similar shuffle with their goaltending?

Can we all just get over the fact that this isn't 2002 or 1999 anymore? The league is changing and forward and defensive depth are what GM's are building teams around. Not a superstar shut down #1 goalie.

Leighton lead the playoffs in shutouts with 3! Largely due to some of the opponents inept offense and Flyers stellar team defense.

I still don't see this whole situation as a COMPLETE fiasco like some of you are treating it to be. We got thrown a curveball last season as well with Emery going down and were 'stuck' with Boucher and somehow picked up Leighton who ended up taking us all the way to game 6 of the finals.

Yeah, they got thrown a curve ball, didn't expect their 1a goalie to go down in the pre season like that. Big deal. Get off the guys back.

Last edited by Crescent Street: 09-29-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
BernieParent

Here's what you aren't getting, Crescent: we weren't clamouring for a superstar, or even a star. There was a wealth of FA goaltenders – more, in fact, than available positions – who would arguably be an upgrade over a career journeyman who put his game and its holes on display on the biggest stage in the NHL. The kicker is that most wouldn't have cost much more than what the aforementioned journeyman was offered before the FA period even started, and some could have cost less.

And I explain the goaltending moves of the other 3 SC semi-finalists with one word: cap. Nabokov wanted more money that the Sharks could afford, the Hawks had to salary dump all over the roster, and 2 young talented goaltenders who were both RFA was one too many for Montreal. That leaves Philadelphia as the only team of the four whose goaltending decision could not be based on the cap. Funny, that.

Old
09-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
How do you explain the top 4 teams from the playoffs last season all doing a similar shuffle with their goaltending?

Can we all just get over the fact that this isn't 2002 or 1999 anymore? The league is changing and forward and defensive depth are what GM's are building teams around. Not a superstar shut down #1 goalie.

Leighton lead the playoffs in shutouts with 3! Largely due to some of the opponents inept offense and Flyers stellar team defense.

I still don't see this whole situation as a COMPLETE fiasco like some of you are treating it to be. We got thrown a curveball last season as well with Emery going down and were 'stuck' with Boucher and somehow picked up Leighton who ended up taking us all the way to game 6 of the finals.

Yeah, they got thrown a curve ball, didn't expect their 1a goalie to go down in the pre season like that. Big deal. Get off the guys back.
1) Chicago had sand in the vaseline as the salary cap took it too 'em.

2) Montreal had two goalies and had to make a choice between 'em... they chose Price (who I think has an extremely high upside, though Montreal may not be where it ends up working out for him).

3) San Jose had reached the time to try something different... whether they made the right choice remains to be seen.

4) Then there's us.

Additional note, just because teams have started to do this does not mean it's the correct path to take. At the very least, goaltending still has a HEAVY influence on the final seeding for the playoffs (which matters, and plays big role in your chance at winning the Cup).

Last year in the East we witnessed a goalie, on his own, take out the two favorites in back-to-back 7 game series. **** matters.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Here's what you aren't getting, Crescent: we weren't clamouring for a superstar, or even a star. There was a wealth of FA goaltenders more, in fact, than available positions who would arguably be an upgrade over a career journeyman who put his game and its holes on display on the biggest stage in the NHL. The kicker is that most wouldn't have cost much more than what the aforementioned journeyman was offered before the FA period even started, and some could have cost less.
If this is actually the case and we have all the facts, all of the contracts and salary questions squared away then why is Flyers management and ownership ok with these decisions?

Who was available REALLY? Nitty, Turco, Nabokov, Biron, Niemi, Price, Halak. Aside from Nabokov, who is probably a little too expensive, I could care less about the rest of those available goalies.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote