HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Rebuilding

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 03:33 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

vCash: 500
NYR Rebuilding

So, how does it feel like knowing for sure that you're rebuilding?
What I really mean is, is any of you really angry at this? and do you think that your managment could have done it different?

The TML might go that route in the next year or so, I just wanted to to get first hand "feelings" about this rebuilding process from a team thats experiencing it.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:42 AM
Barnaby

[QUOTE=LeeIs]So, how does it feel like knowing for sure that you're rebuilding?
What I really mean is, is any of you really angry at this? [QUOTE]

Speaking for myself and probably a number of others...

I'm very happy it's here, but I'm angry that it took so long for the Rangers to FINALLY get it under way. It should have been undertaken 6-7 years ago.

It's fun to watch the young players you'll be seeing for years to come, but it'll probably be difficult to watch them get shelled against quality teams... as long as we continue to beat the Isles though, I can handle it

The Leafs should probably start stockpiling some youth - there starting to get up there in age. You guys had just better hope management doesn't hang on 1-2 or in our case 7 years too long before starting the inevitable.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Prucha73

I think it is great that we are finally rebuilding with youth (part of me still can't believe it and thinks that Sather will sign another squad of big name vet ) I don't care if we lose or not as long as we develop young players who will play like they want to be here. Not sure about other Ranger fans being as patient as I am with the youth development.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:51 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I think it is great that we are finally rebuilding with youth (part of me still can't believe it and thinks that Sather will sign another squad of big name vet ) I don't care if we lose or not as long as we develop young players who will play like they want to be here. Not sure about other Ranger fans being as patient as I am with the youth development.
I'm patient now... it'll probably be tougher when it's January and we get beaten by the Isles 4-1 and the Devils 6-2 on consecutive nights... but hey - in a few years they'll both be well on the downslide, and we'll have a very good young team (in theory).

Old
06-04-2004, 04:17 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

very glad! but annoyed it didn't happen earlier. we're closing in on the 10 year mattias norstrom anniversary and still

Old
06-04-2004, 09:10 AM
pld459666

well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs
So, how does it feel like knowing for sure that you're rebuilding?
What I really mean is, is any of you really angry at this? and do you think that your managment could have done it different?

The TML might go that route in the next year or so, I just wanted to to get first hand "feelings" about this rebuilding process from a team thats experiencing it.
It's about time. I'm really enthused about the future, but that enthusiasim(sp?) is tempered by that fact that Sather is the one guiding the ship.

There's not reason on God's green earth that he should have been allowed to finish out the season, and even less of a reason to allow him the opportunity to rebuild this franchise, a franchise he contributed to more in it's demise than Neil Smith did.

The very reason that Neil SMith got the ax, Sather has been guilty of for the last 3 years and not only does he get a pass, but he's now granted the luxury of being able to attempt the turn around.

Maybe he makes me eat my words, but the drafts that he has been in charge of over the last 10-14 years lease ALOT to be desired and I have ABSOLUTELY NO FAITH HIS HIS ABILITY TO JUDGE TALENT

so in a nutshell, I'm a very happy the rebuild is finally here, or is it??

Old
06-04-2004, 09:10 AM
NYR469

IMO the only thing to be upset about is the fact that it didn't happen sooner...we've been hearing for 7 years that fans won't tolerate a 3 year rebuild, and here we are 7 years later in the same spot. we could have rebuilt 2 or 3 times by now...not to mention the fact that last years draft was so much deeper so having 7 picks in the top 2 rounds last year would have been awesome...

it is something that needs to be done and has needed to be done for a long time...no one wants to have a losing team but there is a difference between losing for a purpose of getting better down the road and simply losing for no reason or benefit...

of course the biggest reason to be upset is the fear that they won't follow thru with it and it is just typical bs...there will be lots of free agents available so right now i'm still fearful that they will abandon the plan before it starts...

Old
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM
NYR Khabby Fan

100% for rebuilding, im all for it..

Old
06-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
ABSOLUTELY NO FAITH HIS HIS ABILITY TO JUDGE TALENT
Tell us how you really feel.... don't hold back

Old
06-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Like everyone here, I'm upset that it didn't happen earlier, but I'm also a little disappointed in the way that it has to happen.

Ideally, you'll have a team that will work in youth while they still have winning veteran players, and carry on over the course of several seasons, building up a core of team players who become young, hard-working vets.

Because the Rangers waited so long (and because they didn't win games ), they've had to totally clean house and are going to have to go with an almost all-youth roster.

Still, this is hugely preferable to a team of veteran mercenary UFA-signings.

Old
06-05-2004, 09:12 AM
dedalus

It certainly looks like it's here, but after 7 years of "re-tooling" I'll have to see a rebuilding to believe it. UFA season hasn't even begun. We'll know by the beginning of September just how serious Sather/Dolan are about a genuine rebuilding.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:35 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
It certainly looks like it's here, but after 7 years of "re-tooling" I'll have to see a rebuilding to believe it. UFA season hasn't even begun. We'll know by the beginning of September just how serious Sather/Dolan are about a genuine rebuilding.
Same here.

I don't trust Sather/Dolan one bit.

The new CBA may be a two-edged sword. On the one hand we may not have enough cap room (if there is a cap) to sign high-priced, past-their-prime vets. On the other hand, some of those high-priced, past-their-prime vets may not be as high-priced as they used to be.

We could still end up with the same type of team we've had in the past. They'll be just as bad but cheaper.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:35 AM
HockeyBurd*

[QUOTE=LeeIs]So, how does it feel like knowing for sure that you're rebuilding? QUOTE]

I'm very excited right now. But, when it comes to the Rangers I can't help but be very cautious in my optimism. I really have to see how Sather handles the "rebuild" in the long run.

Old
06-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Fletch

Considering that so many involved...

in the rebuild are not NHL-ready (heck, some of which haven't even been drafted yet), we won't likely see a roster that resembles Hartford. It'll be interesting to see the direction Sather takes. Will he make a trade for a cornerstone (one under 28). Will he keep all picks. Will Lundmark be packaged and sent away. What UFAs will be signed (and there will be UFAs signed). Will he use some of his chips to get a goalie like Khabibulin (you almost hope Tampa loses so they feel they're that close and won't trade a guy lke Kflabby). I can't trust or distrust Sather on this, as I have no idea what direction he will take.

Old
06-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
in the rebuild are not NHL-ready (heck, some of which haven't even been drafted yet), we won't likely see a roster that resembles Hartford. It'll be interesting to see the direction Sather takes. Will he make a trade for a cornerstone (one under 28). Will he keep all picks. Will Lundmark be packaged and sent away. What UFAs will be signed (and there will be UFAs signed). Will he use some of his chips to get a goalie like Khabibulin (you almost hope Tampa loses so they feel they're that close and won't trade a guy lke Kflabby). I can't trust or distrust Sather on this, as I have no idea what direction he will take.
My own feeling is that win or lose, Khabibulin will not be back with the Lightning, at least not at his current contract. They were very pleased with Grahame and Depending on new CBA, Tampa locking NK up at $6 million when they have another capable goalie doesn't make a lot of sense with St. Louis, Richards and VL contracts. They won't trade him, there is a team option on him, and I would argue that they are not likely to pick it up. I assume most people will rush to tell me how wrong I am, and maybe so, but lets see when all is said and done.

Old
06-05-2004, 08:03 PM
DarthSather99

I am happy like many others that the Rangers are Finally rebuilding, just NOT HAPPY that it took this long and Sather is doing the rebuilding.

I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan/NY Yankees fan my whole life and my greatest enjoyment was watching them build championship teams through the draft/minors in the early 90's.

Watching a team who's an underdog become a champion is a special feeling.

Old
06-05-2004, 08:18 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Yup, I too am happy there appears to be some degree of rebuilding going on in new york.
Reagrding khabi, if tampa can exercise his option then trade him for something its a best case scenario for them. I wonder though, if tampa wins the cup... would they really trade away or not tender the cup winning goalie ?

Old
06-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
Yup, I too am happy there appears to be some degree of rebuilding going on in new york.
Reagrding khabi, if tampa can exercise his option then trade him for something its a best case scenario for them. I wonder though, if tampa wins the cup... would they really trade away or not tender the cup winning goalie ?
I think they might be forced to.... Fans would understand if they had to do that to secure VL, BR, and MSTL.....

Old
06-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
My own feeling is that win or lose, Khabibulin will not be back with the Lightning, at least not at his current contract. They were very pleased with Grahame and Depending on new CBA, Tampa locking NK up at $6 million when they have another capable goalie doesn't make a lot of sense with St. Louis, Richards and VL contracts. They won't trade him, there is a team option on him, and I would argue that they are not likely to pick it up. I assume most people will rush to tell me how wrong I am, and maybe so, but lets see when all is said and done.
Your argument makes all the sense in the world, but, does it have anything to do with the Rangers goaltending situation? Especially if, as you suggest, Tampa Bay doesn't pick up the option?

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 06-06-2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old
06-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Your argument makes all the sense in the world, but, does it have anything to do with the Rangers goaltending situation? Especially if, as you suggest, Tampa Bay doesn't pick up the option?
No, If what you are suggesting is the Rangers making a run at NK, I Disagree with that.

Old
06-06-2004, 03:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If Tampa Bay does not pick up Nikolai Khabibulin's option for next season,they would owe him a $2 million termination fee.

If they pick up the option and there is no hockey next season or another 48 game season,Tampa would actually save money.Instead of paying $6.5 million for Khabibulin next season,they would owe him nothing or at least pay much less than $6.5 million.

If they fail to pick up the option,they would pay him $2 million when the NHL is not even playing.

Khabibulin will only make $1 million more for next season if there is a season

He made a base of $4.5 million plus a $1 million bonus for Tampa making the playoffs this season

Old
06-06-2004, 04:25 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
The most painful thing about the rebuilding process is knowing that we won't be in the playoffs for another 3 years at least, which would make it 10 years of hell for this franchise. It is nice to finally see what us fans have been calling for, since forever, but it should have been done 7 years ago, 4 years at the very least. But alas I am happy that it is finally happening. Another hard part to go through is knowing that the owner and General Manager who had a great part in the failure of the franchise in the past will be overseeing the rebuilding process. As you could imagine most of us have no faith in them whatsoever...

Old
06-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Edge

I'll live through 3 more if it means a decade of prosperity aka Colorado and New Jersey.

Old
06-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
If Tampa Bay does not pick up Nikolai Khabibulin's option for next season,they would owe him a $2 million termination fee.

If they pick up the option and there is no hockey next season or another 48 game season,Tampa would actually save money.Instead of paying $6.5 million for Khabibulin next season,they would owe him nothing or at least pay much less than $6.5 million.

If they fail to pick up the option,they would pay him $2 million when the NHL is not even playing.

Khabibulin will only make $1 million more for next season if there is a season

He made a base of $4.5 million plus a $1 million bonus for Tampa making the playoffs this season
They certainly are not going to make a move until a new CBA has been reached....

The point isn't that they can't afford him, the point is that his salary will count against a hard cap, something that they really don't need to do with a strong goalie in Grahme who comes cheaper.

Old
06-06-2004, 09:40 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan
The most painful thing about the rebuilding process is knowing that we won't be in the playoffs for another 3 years at least, which would make it 10 years of hell for this franchise. It is nice to finally see what us fans have been calling for, since forever, but it should have been done 7 years ago, 4 years at the very least. But alas I am happy that it is finally happening. Another hard part to go through is knowing that the owner and General Manager who had a great part in the failure of the franchise in the past will be overseeing the rebuilding process. As you could imagine most of us have no faith in them whatsoever...

At least we know from this point on we probably will make the playoffs within 3 years rather than not for another 10 years.

Closed Thread