HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens beat writer wants Columbus in the Atlantic/East

Old
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
simple marketing really. How well known is Columbus to the nation at large? People do know Ohio & you can tap into the other markets I mentioned.
By that logic, I think they should change from the Pittsburgh Penguins to the Appalachia Penguins. It'll help them tap into the booming markets in the area.

09-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
By that logic, I think they should change from the Pittsburgh Penguins to the Appalachia Penguins. It'll help them tap into the booming markets in the area.

Being from Columbus and now living "at large", I can honestly say that when people ask me where I'm from, it doesn't make a difference if I say "Columbus," or "Ohio" - they always look at me with a bewildered look and ask what in the world is in Columbus/Ohio.

It doesn't matter. People don't associate Ohio with anything - heck, I even had to explain to one guy recently that Cincinnatti is in Ohio ... he didn't have a clue.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

Being from Columbus and now living "at large", I can honestly say that when people ask me where I'm from, it doesn't make a difference if I say "Columbus," or "Ohio" - they always look at me with a bewildered look and ask what in the world is in Columbus/Ohio.

It doesn't matter. People don't associate Ohio with anything - heck, I even had to explain to one guy recently that Cincinnatti is in Ohio ... he didn't have a clue.
That brings up another interesting point.

Why would we want to be associated with Ohio? I mean, this state sucks so bad that Cincinnati is trying to form a city-state

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Columbus should be in the east. So should Detroit, Chicago, and Nashville.

The problem is that the NHL because of the sport being a winter sport has most of it's teams in the east. Because they want to be proper and have some sort of organization, they have the Eastern and Western conferences. Is it right? Not really. They should've just kept things they way they were with the Campbell and Wales conferences.

What if Phoenix moved to Hamilton or Quebec? Would Hamilton or Quebec then go to the Western conference?
Well to be fair, the Campbell and Wales conferences basically were East and West for about fifteen years. And if Phoenix moves to one of those places, it would be interesting to see what would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Winnipeg could fill your spot in the NW and Kansas City could be added to another Western Conference division making both conferences equal with 16 teams. One division in each conference would have six teams (or two 8 team divisions). I'd also consider increasing the seeding to 18 teams at that point.

If any flopping occurs it won't happen until expansion comes first, imo.
That would work and get rid of all the 9 and 10pm division gametimes

Quote:
That brings up another interesting point.

Why would we want to be associated with Ohio? I mean, at least we're not trying to secede like Cincy is.

That's bull. Why would anyone not want to be associated with Cleveland?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

How about Pittsburgh in the West and Nashville/Detroit in the East?

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
How about Pittsburgh in the West and Nashville/Detroit in the East?
I'd say no, Pitt is to far east. Perhaps back during the French and Indian war but not now...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

East/West is a stupid alignment and should just stick to basketball. Both football and baseball do it better, IMO. Five divisions of six teams, play your division foes six times (total 30 games) and play the other 24 teams twice in a home/away (48 games, grand total of 78). Break up the alignment by when the teams entered the league, so there's be an orginal six division, or an all Canada division or whatever, just not Eas/West. The East/West format needs to be retired.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Skraut

Just throwing these out here.

If Phillips Arena (Atlanta) was as far north as Columbus, it'd be west of Dayton.

If Naionwide Arena were as far north as the Joe in Detroit, it'd be in Canada...

Columbus is the Easternmost team in the Western Conference, and much further East than an Eastern conference team.

(Yeah yeah alignments would suck for Atlanta if they were in the west as they wouldn't be with any of the FLA teams, but I'm just tossing that out there)

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:40 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
I agree. But even if you weren't in the east... I would love to play Columbus 4 or 5 times a year instead of once MAYBE twice (not counting preseason).

It is a really easy drive between the two cities and could really start a fun rivalry.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:40 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

Do you work with toddlers? Prison inmates who dropped out before 5th grade geography?

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Killiecrankie*

Honest Pittsburgh fan here, besides location there is no real feeling towards the Jackets. Completely neutral.

I hate Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Flyers with a passion. Those are the clubs I want to beat for the division title and ground out in the playoffs.

Sorry, unless they go back to 8 team divisions (which would rock) I don't see how Pittsburgh could play Columbus. The four teams in the Atlantic have so much history with the Pens.

You got the short end of the division stick, sorry, but I'd be royally pissed if any of those four teams were removed from the atlantic or we had to switch out west.

good luck this season

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
East/West is a stupid alignment and should just stick to basketball. Both football and baseball do it better, IMO. Five divisions of six teams, play your division foes six times (total 30 games) and play the other 24 teams twice in a home/away (48 games, grand total of 78). Break up the alignment by when the teams entered the league, so there's be an orginal six division, or an all Canada division or whatever, just not Eas/West. The East/West format needs to be retired.
Makes sense to me - kinda like what I was getting at in my first post, who needs East/West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Just throwing these out here.

If Phillips Arena (Atlanta) was as far north as Columbus, it'd be west of Dayton.

If Naionwide Arena were as far north as the Joe in Detroit, it'd be in Canada...

Columbus is the Easternmost team in the Western Conference, and much further East than an Eastern conference team.

(Yeah yeah alignments would suck for Atlanta if they were in the west as they wouldn't be with any of the FLA teams, but I'm just tossing that out there)
Both very good points, but I still like the above post more. Detroit and Atlanta have no more business in the West than we do - it's a matter of debate, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrigno View Post
Do you work with toddlers? Prison inmates who dropped out before 5th grade geography?
Most of the people around here are from Idaho (Google Ruby Ridge) and have no idea any other part of the world is any different; Montana (Google Steers, not the other thing), or are So-Cal people coming up for their ski cabin in either Montana or Idaho.

So, I guess prison inmates/5th grade dropout is more suiting?

Spokane is an interesting place, if you're a hillbilly.

Old
09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Stuff like the superstar scrap we saw late in the game last night could get fans riled up if the CBJ & Pittsburgh would ever end up in the same division.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 09-26-2010 at 02:14 PM.
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:13 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Just for giggles, we should start a petition

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
traunt5

just off the top of my head

CENTRAL: Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas, Toronto, Ottawa
NORTHWEST: Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, Chicago, Team in Winnipeg if expansion
PACIFIC: San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Colorado

Atlantic: Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington, New Jersey, Philadelphia
Northeast: New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Boston, Montreal, Buffalo
Southeast: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Florida

traunt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Doug19

No thanks, we'd never make the playoffs in a division like that.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
+1. I thought the whole point was putting us in a division with teams we could compete and create healthy rivalries with?

Old
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Columbus media pulling on rivalries because thats all they know with OSU in town.

Outside of Red-Sox and the Yanks, you're not going to find many rivalries in pro sports, especially in a sport that relegated to page 4 or 5 in even the big markets.

Building a rivalry in Hockey for the Bluejackets shouldn't be a top priority... Building a winning team should be, then everyone will give us their best shot.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:33 PM
blahblah

Can't say that I feel that I would have a better rivalry situation with the Pens then with Nashville or St. Louis. I know they are close, but it's not like Detroit is far.

Of course I would like to get to the East, just to cut down on team travel. But would I feel any different from a rivalry perspective playing the Pens, Flyers, or Devils? Not really.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post

The travel schedule in the East would more then offset the slightly tougher division.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Doug19

Pittsburgh, Washington, New Jersey, and Philadelphia is only slightly better than our opponents in the west? Yeah, okay...right. The worst team in that division, NJ, is as good as the second best team in the Central, Det.

Doug19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:32 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Columbus media pulling on rivalries because thats all they know with OSU in town.

Outside of Red-Sox and the Yanks, you're not going to find many rivalries in pro sports...
What? Steeler/Browns, Cards/Cubs, Lakers/Celtics, Bears/Packers, Leafs/Canadiens, Giants/Dodgers, etc., and that's just in North America. Pro sports are built on rivalries! You've been doing too much tail-gating, KBW, and have lost touch with reality!

Last edited by pete goegan: 09-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

The games that have the "feel" of rivalries are the ones for which the "enemy" fans travel well and invade Nationwide. There is an enemy threshold level, above which our crowd gets off its collective rear end and starts making noise.

I would include:
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
and the growing Chicago crowd (since flights are cheap and the games aren't sold out here)
with Detroit declining.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
The Pens are about as much a rival as Detroit or Chicago, meaning they'd just beat up on us if we were in the East. No thanks.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:

The travel schedule in the East would more then offset the slightly tougher division.
Do you actually believe that? Or did you increase the prescription on your homer glasses? We would finish last in that division easily, even with a decent record.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote