HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Redden assigned to HFD

Old
09-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
would it be possible, theoretically, if redden terminated a contract and then signed for the rangers at a much lower cap hit? i know he wouldn't do it, but is it possible?
I'm pretty sure that if a player is bought out/terminated they can't sign with that team for either 1 or 2 years

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
would it be possible, theoretically, if redden terminated a contract and then signed for the rangers at a much lower cap hit? i know he wouldn't do it, but is it possible?
Bettman would most likely have a problem with that. He would LOVE to fine Dolan.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, it is not possible. Redden's situation is an unfortunate side effect of the CBA. Players aren't allowed to willingly renegotiate their contracts once in place. As a result he can choose to be the highest paid player in the AHL or walk away from 23M. Seems to me he would probably rather shave a few million of his contract for each of the remaining years and stay in the NHL. But that's not an option.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:23 PM
rangerssharks414

I think it would be really dumb for Redden to not accept the assignment to the AHL. He'll be giving up so much money. Yes, I understand that he wants to play in the NHL again, but last year, he was not playing like an NHL-quality player.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
3 years, 9M..... Give or take.. I don't see teams offering any more than this. (And I think I was being a little generous)

Versus 4 years, 23M..... ???

If Wade walks away, I'll streak nude on opening night.
well, sometimes players walk away from money...Naslund walked away from what...3 mil or something from us to go play for Modo for free...*shrugs*

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Richter35

can anybody who knows confirm/enlighten me, but I'm pretty sure that I read a couple of years ago that the AHL has a salary cap of around 9MM per team. this may have increased since I read it (I think it was around the time of the lockout), but suppose it is 9MM and Redden reports along with either white/eminger, we would easily be over this cap as the average salary for a guy on a 2 way is ~70k.

If the cap has risen to 10+ we're probably fine, but what I'm trying to say is that in our excitement to be rid of Redden, we are also not taking into account that the AHL is not an unlimited garbage can for bloated contracts.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

There is no salary cap in the AHL. There is a limit on how many veteran players can dress for any given game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I understand why the Rangers waived Redden, however, can't figure out why they signed him to that contract in the first place. He's basically been going down hill for the past several years.

Now if I'm Redden, I eat my pride and go down to the AHL and take the money, until maybe the Rangers decide to buy him out down the line. If I'm him, I think of my family first, because honestly, he isn't a very good defensemen anymore. He leaves that amount of money on the table, I doubt he finds any takers that are willing to pay him more then a million, maybe a million and a half per.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I understand why the Rangers waived Redden, however, can't figure out why they signed him to that contract in the first place. He's basically been going down hill for the past several years.

Now if I'm Redden, I eat my pride and go down to the AHL and take the money, until maybe the Rangers decide to buy him out down the line. If I'm him, I think of my family first, because honestly, he isn't a very good defensemen anymore. He leaves that amount of money on the table, I doubt he finds any takers that are willing to pay him more then a million, maybe a million and a half per.
the only way he ever plays in the NHL again is if he refuses to report to hartford. he'd be throwing a lot of money away but hes made a ton of money in his career, so its either more money or NHL hockey...his choice.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Edge

It's been a real shame to watch the decline of Wade Redden. I liked him (before he became a Ranger) and his decline has been fast, by any standards.

But the reality is that even if we ignore his contract, he'd still be struggling to stay in the NHL.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 08:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post

You, me and just about everybody else outside the organization. It is mind boggling how they thought giving him a 6 year 39M contract was even remotely logical. I'll never understand it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 09:43 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Some players just fall off faster than others. A very steep decline.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:02 AM
free0717

A terrible signing in the first place. Two bad years in a row in Ottawa and then signed to a 6 year 39 million dollar contract.

I see Wade playing two years for the Whale. When the new CBA comes out, there will be free buyouts and the Rangers will then buy him out.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:40 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well, sometimes players walk away from money...Naslund walked away from what...3 mil or something from us to go play for Modo for free...*shrugs*
Yeah, some players do just walk away, but there's a huge difference between walking away from $3 million and walking away from $23 million. lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Joe Michelleti spoke to Redden on Saturday night. Redden said he wants to play in the NHL. Only why that happens is if refuses to accept the assignment thus breaching his contract and Redden becomes a free agent. Meehan has permission to speak with other NHL teams about Redden. San Jose liked Redden in the past. Doug Wilson had a deal done with Ottawa but Redden vetoed the deal with his NTC. Matt Carle and #1 pick to Ottawa for Redden in 2008.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Yeah, some players do just walk away, but there's a huge difference between walking away from $3 million and walking away from $23 million. lol
Fine but none of this

Quote:
When Wade Redden clears waivers early Monday afternoon, he’ll be faced with a wrenching, career-altering decision and his employers will essentially be let off scot-free.

Redden will be forced to make a choice between basically burying himself in the minors or Europe for the rest of his career or turning his back on $23 million in guaranteed money for a chance to play in the NHL again for much, much less.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ing-point.html

Ken Campbell of THN who probably makes as much in a year as a single Redden game check worrying about Redden. At least,the NHL players have guaranteed contracts. The NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Some guaranteed money or a signing bonus. If the player gets hurt,injury settlement and don't let the door hit you on the way out. The NBA doesn't have guaranteed contracts. Not every contract and not all of the money is guaranteed.

Redden goes to Hartford/CT Whalers and honors the terms of his contract. It's in his SPC. No *****ing and moaning from the media. As long as the Rangers pay him,nobody has the right to complain.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
Somebody slap me.

From Gross' blog entry on the subject:

So does this mean he'll at least get paid no matter what happens? Can they do that?
I take it to mean the ball is in Redden's court now. He can go to Hartford (and Europe?) and still collect his Rangers salary. Or he can refuse the demotion, breach his contract, and become a UFA.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:51 AM
missionaborted

I'm thinking that this is the way today plays out for Wade Redden:

Redden clears waivers, and is thus faced with the decision of whether or not to report to the AHL. My guess is that he refuses to report, making his contract null and void.

Redden then signs with someone like the Islanders (who are now in need of a D man, sue to Streit being gone) for somewhere in the area of $3 million per for a season or two. This will allow Redden to stay in the NHL, and try his best to improve his play and restore his name as an elite Defensive player.

This scenario works out well for the Isles, and for Redden. Any thoughts?

Edit* Maybe $3 mil is still a little steep, but I suspect at least half of what he is currently making with the Rangers.

Last edited by missionaborted: 09-27-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more to add
missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post

Redden clears waivers, and is thus faced with the decision of whether or not to report to the AHL. My guess is that he refuses to report, making his contract null and void.

Redden then signs with someone like the Islanders (who are now in need of a D man, sue to Streit being gone) for somewhere in the area of $3 million per for a season or two. This will allow Redden to stay in the NHL, and try his best to improve his play and restore his name as an elite Defensive player.

Edit* Maybe $3 mil is still a little steep, but I suspect at least half of what he is currently making with the Rangers.
He had 14 points last year and is not an excellent defensive defenseman. Who would pay this guy 3M?

09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I take it to mean the ball is in Redden's court now. He can go to Hartford (and Europe?) and still collect his Rangers salary. Or he can refuse the demotion, breach his contract, and become a UFA.
That's the way I understand it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaborted View Post

Why would you give up >$20m for a chance to make $3m? Pride? No way anyone offers Redden $3m, just for the simple fact that he's in a very desperate position if he forfeits his current contract. I think Redden would have a really hard time getting more than $1.5m - and it has nothing to do with his ability at this point.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:05 AM
missionaborted

yeah... at the end of my post, I added that I think $3 million is still too steep...

but I think Redden would rather play for less in the NHL and TRY to keep his career alive, rather than bouncing around the AHL for the next few years making $6.4. I could be totally wrong but just a feeling i guess.

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:30 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That's the way I understand it.
Is that something that is because of his age and experience? Because I'd think other individuals would have exercised this option more if the can become a straight UFA off of refusing a demotion.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Is that something that is because of his age and experience? Because I'd think other individuals would have exercised this option more if the can become a straight UFA off of refusing a demotion.
Not exactly sure. If you refuse demotion, you're gambling with guaranteed money.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
The team can unilaterally end the contract if a player refuses to report, the team doesn't have to do it though, so a rfa couldn't simply refuse demotion in order to become a ufa sooner.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote