HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Redden assigned to HFD

Old
09-28-2010, 12:29 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
They won't risk him getting claimed on re-entry waivers and being on the hook for half his cap hit. Redden will never wear a Ranger sweater again.
Seeing public opinion of Redden I don't see any GM having the balls to claim him on reentry. The GM would be murdered by his fanbase lol.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
drewcon40

I am not privy to any free agent negotiation or arbitration hearings or what is said. I hear they can be pretty brutal. I wonder if a player or agent ever said or would say, "Glen, how can you come up with <insert number> when you a paying Wade Redden 6.5 million dollars per year for a subpar performance?"

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The point from where I sit is clear.

Paying aging NHLers hefty sums is a risk better not taken. Period.

It's much better to gamble on a player like Dubinsky early in his career and see if he actually meets his potential. At least the guy has the passion.
Agreed.

I think we're all just relieved that this happened and we don't have to go through another hoping or wondering if a miracle was possible ie: The old Redden making a comeback.

Anyway: I wish the guy well. At the end of the day, players are people and he pushed for the best contract he could get as any of us would do. I'm sure he wanted his play to improve at least as much as any of us.

So now he gets to be the "Crash Davis" of the AHL Durham Whalers

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Redden will never wear a Ranger sweater again.
Not necessarily true. If he plays the whole season in Connecticut, he'll be back on the roster as of 7/1/11 and will at least make it to camp before he can be demoted again. Does a scrimmage sweater count as a sweater?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Not necessarily true. If he plays the whole season in Connecticut, he'll be back on the roster as of 7/1/11 and will at least make it to camp before he can be demoted again. Does a scrimmage sweater count as a sweater?
I'm sure Redden never makes it to NYR training camp in next 4 yrs; no reason to bring him back; no sweater for him;

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Seeing public opinion of Redden I don't see any GM having the balls to claim him on reentry. The GM would be murdered by his fanbase lol.
You've got to go back and read Dallas board when Avery was a Star. Sather could've found a team for Wade the way Stars did with their bad signing - Sean

Redden is NHL material. At half price there could be suitors.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
You've got to think there will be a parting of ways at some point. 25 million or not, I doubt he rides the bus for 4 seasons.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
You've got to go back and read Dallas board when Avery was a Star. Sather could've found a team for Wade the way Stars did with their bad signing - Sean

Redden is NHL material. At half price there could be suitors.
Couple of things...

1. Redden is NHL material...but not at $6.5M, nor at $3.25M. And even if some team thought $3.25 was reasonable, they'd be scared off by the remaining 4 years at age 33.

2. What interest does Sather have in eating half the contract? He knows he can be rid of Redden without much distraction and without taking any kind of cap hit, so what's the incentive? Unlike Avery, Redden most likely will not cause a problem while he toils away in the minors.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
They won't risk him getting claimed on re-entry waivers and being on the hook for half his cap hit. Redden will never wear a Ranger sweater again.
I'd be curious myself about that. You get a couple injuries, who knows. What happens if Staal is out and Girardi is hurt a few days later?

All of a sudden the D consists of Rosy, Gilroy, Del Zotto and whatever rookie makes the team this year. Surely, a D with Gilroy and Del Zotto and 3 other rookie D men would be shredded alive.

As much as Redden is disliked, he was always better than whatever rookie D man they experimented with the last 2 seasons.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Shadowtron

I have a hard time buying that Redden as resigned himself to an AHL career.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:44 PM
eco's bones

On Redden at half price--At this point in time $3.25 mil is a top 4 d-man. That's about what Girardi is getting. Staal and Rozsival are getting more. The Rangers defense group is not particularly spectacular (or hasn't been lately) as it is and Redden wound up with the least ice time last year so even at half price he isn't a good deal. He may be NHL capable but he's Steve Eminger maybe 15 min. per night $1.125 mil capable. So even if the Rangers were to bring him back up on re-entry waivers which I doubt very much it would be even more doubtful that someone would take him. He's too costly as a bottom pairing defenseman.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Fletch

I don't think it's a stretch for a team to take Redden at half price. I won't guarantee it happens, but there may be a team out there looking for some veteran help from a d-man you can still move a bit. Personally not a fan, but at half price you may get a taker, and perhaps he can increase his value in HFD.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Agreed.

I think we're all just relieved that this happened and we don't have to go through another hoping or wondering if a miracle was possible ie: The old Redden making a comeback.

Anyway: I wish the guy well. At the end of the day, players are people and he pushed for the best contract he could get as any of us would do. I'm sure he wanted his play to improve at least as much as any of us.

HA. HA.

Nice.

It will be interesting to see how he does down there.

I remain convinced that being a professional athlete in NYC is just not a good fit for some.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't think it's a stretch for a team to take Redden at half price. I won't guarantee it happens, but there may be a team out there looking for some veteran help from a d-man you can still move a bit. Personally not a fan, but at half price you may get a taker, and perhaps he can increase his value in HFD.
Hard for me to believe though Fletch. It wouldn't be just the Rangers on the hook for the cap hit--you'd also be putting your own team in the same position for possibly the next 4 years for a guy who is probably going to be on your bottom pair. Economically it doesn't make sense (at least to me) to pay that amount of money to a No. 6 or 7 defenseman. You'd have to believe he was capable of a resurrection to justify it. 4 straight years in a row he's sucked. In any case I don't see the Rangers bringing him up. I would think whichever two defensemen get cut before the season starts are going to be the first call ups-if needed.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Fletch

I don't disagree, but there are GMs out there who may. Sather may be an idiot, but he's still an NHL GM who took him for 6 years. There likely were others who may've taken a flyer for less term and less money, like around $5.5MM. That's obviously still high, but it doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there willing to go 4 years, $3.25MM, perhaps thinking it was NY not as much as him. I dunno is what it really comes down to.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Crash was only in 'the show' for 21 days. Not really comparable to a longtime NHL vet that once was an all star and top draft pick

Good luck Wade !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't disagree, but there are GMs out there who may. Sather may be an idiot, but he's still an NHL GM who took him for 6 years. There likely were others who may've taken a flyer for less term and less money, like around $5.5MM. That's obviously still high, but it doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there willing to go 4 years, $3.25MM, perhaps thinking it was NY not as much as him. I dunno is what it really comes down to.
You'd almost have to think then that he could play in your top 4. It's not the kind of money you give to a bottom pairing guy. After his two seasons with us it's a huge stretch for me to believe he could do that for any other NHL team. But you might be right--you just never know. Safer to keep him in Hartford.

Old
09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I guess he's the man to see for the bill when the team goes out to eat

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
So, who will be the next whipping boy for the fans who think that this will somehow make the Rangers a better team?

Someone here compared it to winning a Cup. Wow!

Rosie and Drury are the next obvious choices.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
You don't think he deserved his status as 'whipping boy'? Or you think the Rangers would be better off with him on the team instead of any number of cheaper options who are not only going to be much cheaper but probably going to be better as well?--considering that Redden is not even close to the first pairing d-man the Rangers paid him to be--hardly provides any offense, does not play physical and is slow as hell and not any great shakes defensively. Were we supposed to go another four years with him and hope one day he'd turn back into the all star defenseman he used to be?

Or maybe you just want to be contrary for its own sake?
I don't think anyone deserves the status of whipping boy, because all it accomplishes is to take the focus away from how overall terrible the team is. It's merely throwing some raw meat at an angry mob, in order to make them happy for a few fleeting moments.

Do I think Redden deserves to stay in NY? No. Do I think he was terrible last season? No? He was exceptionally mediocre. Do I think that whoever replaces him will be better? No clue. We'll wait and see to find out the answer to that one.

My point wasn't that he deserved to stay or that he was in any way good. My point was that I know that fans need someone to be crazed annoyed at and I asked the question who will replace him as whipping boy.

Make no mistake about this; Unless they are incredibly improved this year, someone will become the new Redden to fans that need that sort of stuff.

That is what I meant.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I don't think anyone deserves the status of whipping boy, because all it accomplishes is to take the focus away from how overall terrible the team is. It's merely throwing some raw meat at an angry mob, in order to make them happy for a few fleeting moments.

Do I think Redden deserves to stay in NY? No. Do I think he was terrible last season? No? He was exceptionally mediocre. Do I think that whoever replaces him will be better? No clue. We'll wait and see to find out the answer to that one.

My point wasn't that he deserved to stay or that he was in any way good. My point was that I know that fans need someone to be crazed annoyed at and I asked the question who will replace him as whipping boy.

Make no mistake about this; Unless they are incredibly improved this year, someone will become the new Redden to fans that need that sort of stuff.

That is what I meant.
The team wasn't terrible--it was mediocre which sometimes is even worse than being mediocre because there is still something teasing about it. I don't think it was just the team. Slats signed the guy--it was a collosal mistake and had to be rectified. I don't know--I think I understand at least somewhat what you're getting at but what are people supposed to do when night after night they're being disappointed? Just sit on their hands--when they're fans who are passionate about their team? Not show up? Quit watching games on TV? Wade Redden happened to underachieve expectations to the greatest degree--hence he became a target. It's true though that sometimes someone plays well and they are still jumping all over him. Inevitably someone else is going to be targeted deserving or not. All I can say is play harder. Rangers have a history in the Sather years of guys coming here to grab their last big paycheck and give lacklustre performances.

By the way I think Tortorella had a mediocre year too.

Old
09-28-2010, 09:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
My point was that I know that fans need someone to be crazed annoyed at and I asked the question who will replace him as whipping boy. Make no mistake about this; Unless they are incredibly improved this year, someone will become the new Redden to fans that need that sort of stuff.
Who cares though? As long as the new whipping boy doesn't have 4 years remaining on his contract ala Redden, what does it matter? The whole point of this process is that the Rangers simply could not stand around and continue to endure a $6.5 mil cap hit for a declining mediocre player for another 4 more years...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

I must confess that my daughter has heard some robust cuss words fall from my lips in regard to Redden and I'm oh so glad that he Hartford bound.....mmmm tasty.
I cant believe all the folks actually would disparage Sean Avery in reference to Redden. Avery suffered a lacerated spleen for his team,love him or hate him he plays with a bullseye on his back that most players could never handle (albeit not entirely brought upon by himself) i dont think Redden ever broke a nail. His disinterested attitude (his couple of short fights not withstanding) his playing like a player 7 inches shorter, Christmas, he was one of the few players a good deal of my fellow blueshirt fans wished would get injured....hell, he couldn't even do that right.
A lot of posters say that he was a nice guy and he might be but im a hockey fan and the Rangers are my team and he was a main reason my team was A) Bad and B) unable to improve because of his noxiously high salary.
My guess would be he plays for a while with the whalepack and probably gets a buyout.
That being said its been 2 years and i'd being lying if i didnt say it makes me smile to know that Wade has gone the way of Willie Huber and Michel Petit

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23isforDeBlois View Post
I must confess that my daughter has heard some robust cuss words fall from my lips in regard to Redden and I'm oh so glad that he Hartford bound.....mmmm tasty.
I cant believe all the folks actually would disparage Sean Avery in reference to Redden. Avery suffered a lacerated spleen for his team,love him or hate him he plays with a bullseye on his back that most players could never handle (albeit not entirely brought upon by himself) i dont think Redden ever broke a nail. His disinterested attitude (his couple of short fights not withstanding) his playing like a player 7 inches shorter, Christmas, he was one of the few players a good deal of my fellow blueshirt fans wished would get injured....hell, he couldn't even do that right.
A lot of posters say that he was a nice guy and he might be but im a hockey fan and the Rangers are my team and he was a main reason my team was A) Bad and B) unable to improve because of his noxiously high salary.
My guess would be he plays for a while with the whalepack and probably gets a buyout.
That being said its been 2 years and i'd being lying if i didnt say it makes me smile to know that Wade has gone the way of Willie Huber and Michel Petit
Welcome aboard, and in your very first post you have written something I have always maintained is a constant for fans who get ticked off;

the players that tick them off are almost always defensemen. You don't see goalies get roasted by the fans more than once every 30 years or so, if that much. Forwards slightly more often than that.

It is defensemen that always incur the wrath of the angry mobs, and the one thing you can be sure of is that they will be defensemen that are thought of as not "tough". Redden is just the latest.

Because of this, Rozy becomes the most likely to incur the boobirds this season. And the true incompetence of Glen will be able to continue to chew his cigars while the players he brings in and signs get booed out of the building.

Old
09-29-2010, 06:42 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The team wasn't terrible--it was mediocre which sometimes is even worse than being mediocre because there is still something teasing about it. I don't think it was just the team. Slats signed the guy--it was a collosal mistake and had to be rectified. I don't know--I think I understand at least somewhat what you're getting at but what are people supposed to do when night after night they're being disappointed? Just sit on their hands--when they're fans who are passionate about their team? Not show up? Quit watching games on TV? Wade Redden happened to underachieve expectations to the greatest degree--hence he became a target. It's true though that sometimes someone plays well and they are still jumping all over him. Inevitably someone else is going to be targeted deserving or not. All I can say is play harder. Rangers have a history in the Sather years of guys coming here to grab their last big paycheck and give lacklustre performances.

By the way I think Tortorella had a mediocre year too.
I think the team played to its talent level. Fans aren't supposed to do anything. They can do whatever they want. Usually that means screaming at defensemen who are not perceived as tough, because if we ain't winning we better see some violence, at the very least.

Redden was doomed the moment he took the cash from the imbecile's pockets.