HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Wade Redden - NYR

Old
09-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

vCash: 500
3.25 mill on reentry waivers would work.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Chad29Johnson

Waived Redden...get it

Chad29Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:32 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I know as far as discussions on this forum go, cap hit is all that counts. But even for filthy rich organizations, having to pay money for a player that doesn't play for you stings.
This is nothing. James Dolan offered Larry Brown 40 million dollars to NOT coach the New York Knicks, 25 million for Stephon Marbury to NOT play for the Knicks, and paid Eddy Curry 20 million dollars total the past two years to play 10 miserable games. Wade Redden is an afterthought for Dolan.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Manbearpig17

I remember during the Ducks v.s. Ottawa series Wade Redden was being pimped as the next coming of Pronger....with more skill even. Shorly after he signed (what seemed like fair market value, He began playing awful. I was alway curious what the hell happened exactly?

This is the kind of money I would like to sign Doughty to but "WHAT IF" he declined to below the NHL defensmen skill curve after two years.

Is there any hope of Redden ever being effective in the NHL again?

Is it any body but Redden or Anybody but Redden's contract?

The Kings real nervously offer Stoll, Tuebert and a second for Redden, Anisimov, and Grachev.

Maybe take Tuebert out of it if the Kings are over paying.

Manbearpig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig17 View Post
I remember during the Ducks v.s. Ottawa series Wade Redden was being pimped as the next coming of Pronger....with more skill even. Shorly after he signed (what seemed like fair market value, He began playing awful. I was alway curious what the hell happened exactly?

This is the kind of money I would like to sign Doughty to but "WHAT IF" he declined to below the NHL defensmen skill curve after two years.

Is there any hope of Redden ever being effective in the NHL again?

Is it any body but Redden or Anybody but Redden's contract?

The Kings real nervously offer Stoll, Tuebert and a second for Redden, Anisimov, and Grachev.

Maybe take Tuebert out of it if the Kings are over paying.
Rangers don't have to give up assets to lose his cap hit, because its already gone.

Hire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:15 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I want to know what you consider the level of play is because I can assure you there will be a widening stance on that definition.

If a player is paid X to play, then they can't say he isn't playing if he can strap some skates on and play even as a bottom pairing defenseman.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:31 AM
MTK

Ranger fans are awesome

He will most likely go play overseas now. Since Wade could as well be the best player for the CT Whales but will never be called up. Rangers will not buy him out because they can't pay the buyout cost because Sather still blows money like a crack head.

Funny thing is, the player NYR got when they signed him is the player he was so don't hate on Wade for signing one of your stupid contracts.

Can't wait to see who the player your "fans" jump on this year.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:54 AM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

No surprise there. Where does that put the Rangers in terms of cap space?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:33 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
Ranger fans are awesome

He will most likely go play overseas now. Since Wade could as well be the best player for the CT Whales but will never be called up. Rangers will not buy him out because they can't pay the buyout cost because Sather still blows money like a crack head.

Funny thing is, the player NYR got when they signed him is the player he was so don't hate on Wade for signing one of your stupid contracts.

Can't wait to see who the player your "fans" jump on this year.
And Wade Redden fully knew what he was doing and what was going to be expected of him when he signed an expensive, long term contract to play for an Original Six team in the middle of New York ****ing City.

I don't really see what your problem is. NYI fans have *****ed about Kvasha and Yashin for the same reasons Rangers fans have jumped on players; mediocrity, lack of desire, not living up to contract, etc. Are you saying Islanders fans are horrible?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:49 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

I don't really see what your problem is. NYI fans have *****ed about Kvasha and Yashin for the same reasons Rangers fans have jumped on players; mediocrity, lack of desire, not living up to contract, etc. Are you saying Islanders fans are horrible?
Yashin is being paid millions of dollars. Kvasha was traded.

At least they dealt with it in some way.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It's not just a bad move by a GM. It's a product of the salary cap. He's not the only one that's been "victimized." Nylander was another. The Devils may have a player or 2 fall victim if they can't find a trading partner. It's a shame really, but I can't help but feel like it's not just the GM or Player. It's the cap system.
That's like blaming cars for accidents.

We all know how cars work. Sometimes we drive them fast and recklessly. Don't blame the system, blame the people.

The reality here is that Redden is making tons of money to do a job. Right now that job involves the AHL. If I was a UFA I'd think twice about signing with the Rangers.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:27 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
And Wade Redden fully knew what he was doing and what was going to be expected of him when he signed an expensive, long term contract to play for an Original Six team in the middle of New York ****ing City.

The guy is some bitter Islander fan troll that never contributes anything worthwhile to any Ranger thread he posts in.

Just tell him to have fun rooting for a team that will be playing in Kansas City in a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
The reality here is that Redden is making tons of money to do a job. Right now that job involves the AHL. If I was a UFA I'd think twice about signing with the Rangers.
You would?

Then maybe you have some character issues and possibly some mental ones that you need to address.

Because Redden definitely does.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
landfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
3.25 mill on reentry waivers would work.
I don't think it would. 3.25 mil at this point is still an overpayment.

landfill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
The way that Chicago, NJ and NYR get away with this crap really is cap circumvention. It completely screws the small market teams still because it allows them to still spend way more and just bury their mistakes. Hopefully the new CBA fixes this somehow.
This !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Theyreally have to do something about that crap.

And the solution is so easy.
Just make every year of salary even. And make every contract count who is given to a Player who played at least 20 games for a team.
So no sending downs no sending to Europe no cheating crap.
Of course you can send your players down and to Europe but the contract has to count.
That would put an end on that frontloading, and hiding players somewhere

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:

Don't waste your time using logic and facts to prove your point to this guy. He's a troll who takes any excuse to bash the Rangers to the rest of the board.

The Rangers dumped Redden in the minors because of his terrible play and the amount of cap space he was eating up. They needed room to sign a very valuable player (Staal) and waiving Redden was the easiest option. Many people dislike the Rangers and this just gives them more of an excuse to bash the team, even though it is clearly following the rules.

Let everybody bash Sather and the Rangers all they want, it's not going to change the fact that what was done was actually smart and helped out the Rangers cap situation greatly.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I know as far as discussions on this forum go, cap hit is all that counts. But even for filthy rich organizations, having to pay money for a player that doesn't play for you stings.
But you have to pay them no matter what. the money is a sunk cost. The real question is "does it make our team better (and therefor giving them better odds of making the playoffs and getting a bunch of money from that) if this guy is off the roster and not causing problems in terms of cap hit".

If Dolan can say "it's better for the team and its playoff chances if Redden is sent down" then that's all there is to it. It doesn't make sense to keep a guy in the lineup if having him there hurts the team in some way more than it helps

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:08 PM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
surprising how Sather still has a job. Can't say I'm not happy as the Rangers will continue to suck with him being the GM.

Yet another STUPID mistake by him with this signing. They should have to be responsible for half his cap hit.
True, but at least he fixes the mistakes he makes and -- surprisingly -- he seems to have finally learned to stop making them, unlike Sutter and Burke.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
This !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Theyreally have to do something about that crap.

And the solution is so easy.
Just make every year of salary even. And make every contract count who is given to a Player who played at least 20 games for a team.
So no sending downs no sending to Europe no cheating crap.
Of course you can send your players down and to Europe but the contract has to count.
That would put an end on that frontloading, and hiding players somewhere
I am sure that the league (Bettman) and BOD can find even more ways to punish owners who will try hard to have winning teams and spend to the cap. They favor the tightwads that barely spend over the floor while charging NHL prices for the fans to attend the games and laughing all the way to the bank. the CBA always allowed the clubs to send players down to get them off the cap. This was anticipated and included in the CBA. The 15 year contracts are cap circumvention. No doubt. Sending players to the minors is not.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
dashripdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfill View Post
Is anyone else not a little pissed that a bad move by a GM is going to end a NHL career of a capable player?
He would have been waived if his cap hit was only 1.5 mil. Look at how poorly he's played over the last 2+ seasons (hell, he should have been waived after his first season with the Rangers -- even he knew he was bad; his contract was front-loaded). He was signed to QB a power play and couldn't do it. Failing that, he was asked to play defense. He couldn't do it. He doesn't hit, and doesn't play the body or the puck. Are the Rangers supposed to keep him on the roster because they gave him a huge contract? If he can no longer play an NHL-caliber game he should retire (he won't because he wants the money and he's owed that under the contract) or take the money and play in the minors. Sather should have believed what everyone else already knew: his game was in decline. But it's not the team's fault that he sucks.

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:32 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I love how fans of other teams are complaining about this when you know that if it was their player on their team, they'd be saying the same things us Ranger fans are saying.

Hypocrisy runs wild on these boards, it's a joke.

Old
09-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Black Tank

The 6.5mm/year contract is the best thing that has ever happened to Redden. It gave him approx. 27mm to retire on b/c he was done as an NHL player his last 2 years in Ott.

Sather likes his reclamation projects and took a shot on Redden but he simply can't play as anything other than a non-physical bottom pairing guy who's a defensive liability. With the way that UFA market has bottomed out, if he did not get the retirement gift from Sather, at best I could see him getting a one year deal for about 1mm to be the 6 or 7 dman, ala Paul Mara.

He should name his daughter Glenda as a token of respect.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Congrats to the Rangers for having the most highest paid player to play in the minors. I'm sure Dolan and company are quite pleased with Sather for having someone in Hartford eating up $6.5M per year.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
You would?

Then maybe you have some character issues and possibly some mental ones that you need to address.

Because Redden definitely does.
If I sign with the Rangers I expect to play with the Rangers. It's not like he's not an NHL defenseman. He just isn't worth what the team thought he was worth. I could understand if they picked him up for another team with a terrible contract to burry or if it was a new GM, but this was the guy that signed him putting him the minors. It's not like his play has really dropped off, he is the same player as when he signed (and it was a terrible contract then).

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 04:20 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
If I sign with the Rangers I expect to play with the Rangers.
When you play for a professional sports team and sign a contract with them, it is under the impression that you have the ability to play at a professional skill level, which Redden does not aynmore.

Quote:
It's not like he's not an NHL defenseman.
You're dead wrong. You obviously have not been watching the last 2 seasons.

Quote:
He just isn't worth what the team thought he was worth. I could understand if they picked him up for another team with a terrible contract to burry or if it was a new GM, but this was the guy that signed him putting him the minors.
That, and he can't play at the NHL level anymore. He's a liability whenever he's out on the ice. He used to be known for being a solid power play QB, he's not anymore. He used to be known for making great first passes out of the zone, he doesn't anymore. He used to be known for being solid defensively, but he's not anymore. He's not worth the contract, and he's not an NHL level defenseman anymore because the things he used to be able to do, he can't anymore, and he doesn't excel in any other facet of the game.

If I had to choose between Redden and Exelby at 6.5 million a year, I'd take Exelby in a heartbeat, as they both suck defensively, at least Exelby will play physically.

Quote:
It's not like his play has really dropped off, he is the same player as when he signed (and it was a terrible contract then).
His play got worse each and each year.

You clearly have not watched Redden, so I'm done arguing with someone who has zero perspective or insight on the matter.

Old
09-26-2010, 04:29 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Congrats to the Rangers for having the most highest paid player to play in the minors. I'm sure Dolan and company are quite pleased with Sather for having someone in Hartford eating up $6.5M per year.
At the end of the day, all Sather has to say is that it's what's best for the team.

You think Dolan is concerned about money?

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote