HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden - NYR

Old
09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Not suprising

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
So Redden has a sub-par final 2 yrs in Ottawa and still Glen $ather gives him that contract. Anyone wanna tell me why they shouldn't be stuck with Wade ?
You Devils fans are just so ridiculous sometimes. There's a large number who realizes that your team used the same thing to get rid of contracts for players who were not NHL caliber anymore. Either you "forget" or you just hate the Rangers so much that you can't even think logically. Come on, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Devil fans have short memories. McGillis,Matvichuk.Marshall.Malakhov.Mogilny. In the case of the latter two,first year of their SPC's didn't count when they were assigned to the AHL. Stay away from the players with the letter M. Lou sent those players to the AHL for cap relief and when another team does the same thing,they complain.

If the Devils can't trade Zubrus or Salavador,guess where they are going? Albany.

They won't be complaining then.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.
Riiiiight. Because it stopped the Devils and other teams from signing players.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:09 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
The issue with Malakhov was his 35 plus contract. Two different situations.
And that they essentially traded a retired player.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Ail
k.

Some of the Devils fans in here are ridiculous.

Just how black is our kettle, pot?

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
now, had Redden actually played well, this statement may have some shred credibility, however since Redden had sucked balls for the last 4 years, your comment is without merit or understanding of a players mindset when they enter into contracts for multiple years.
And yet he signed his contract 2 years ago. Your GM thought Redden was worth this much and so he signed a bloated contract, which every player would jump at the chance too.

Quote:
Actually this will serve as notice that you still need to earn your way regardless of the bloated and undeserving contract.
Undeserving? Again, Sathers DIDN'T have to sign Redden to that contract. He could have paid market value for Redden and maybe lost out to another team but he didn't want to take that chance and knowing full well Redden was in decline, still offered him a ridiculous contract.

If a team came up to you and asked you to sign a contract that is usually reserved for a top 4 defenseman but you know and fans know you are old, declining and really more of a top 6 pairing, would you decline the contract, saying, hey! I'm not worth that much?

Quote:
There's an obligation both ways here and the Rangers are still holding up to their end of the obligation which is actually paying the contract, Redden has not lived up to his end of the obligation to play well enough to not only earn the money, but at the very very least earn a roster spot.
And Redden is too. Can he still play? Yes. He's not injured. He can still skate and even if he isn't a top 4 pairing, he can still play at minimal a top 7 role. It doesn't matter with the contract at all. Can he still skate? Then he's fulfilling his contract.

And is there a clause in Redden's contract saying he has to play well. And define well enough? Because to me well enough is actually putting on skates and playing. He has a +8 last year and in the last two years has only missed 8 games, which is pretty good.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:16 PM
boredmale

Quote:
And the Rangers just lost a little bit of respect throughout the whole league. Players are going to think twice before accepting a contract from the Rangers, who will put you on waivers in 2 or 3 years without batting an eye.
As long as the Rangers overpay for somebody's services(which it seems like was the case with Redden) people will sign there. I am guessing many player will gladly sign a overinflated contract they couldn't get elsewhere with the idea they might be sent down to the minors. In the case of Redden, that contract is his retirement fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
It's not a real loophole and it's not unlimited. This is the Rangers one "free" pass they get, if they need to dump another horrible contract in the next four years they can't repeat this.
Drury has 1 more season left on his contract after this one(5M in real money, 7M caphit). I am guessing at 5M it won't be hard to trade him(other then his NMC)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
6.5 million is his cap hit, what are the actual numbers for his yearly salary?
I believe he has 4 seasons left and in terms of actual money paid to him

6.5-6.5-5-5

Is there any reports of the Rangers keeping him down in Hartford? Or calling him back up in hopes he gets picked up on call up waivers(I don't see the rangers doing this)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:23 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad29Johnson View Post
Negative, guy goes by the name of Alexi Yashin!
Yashin

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Fair enough. My 2cents, I've never heard of anyone referring to themselves as a North American. I'm pretty sure everyone identifies with their country over their continent.
I'm a North American.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Fair enough. My 2cents, I've never heard of anyone referring to themselves as a North American. I'm pretty sure everyone identifies with their country over their continent.
I agree. Unless its the world cup in Canada.
At least in the states they have a team that they can cheer for in unity.
Our soccer team is so terrible that everyone becomes either italian, portuguese, or english.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I agree. Unless its the world cup in Canada.
At least in the states they have a team that they can cheer for in unity.
Our soccer team is so terrible that everyone becomes either italian, portuguese, or english.
I guess you've never been to New York. Hai Romania!

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
True. I never said people do, that's something Pyke brought up. However, North American vs. European is a valid distinction when debating whether or not a person is willing to leave North America for Europe.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:52 PM
fulk hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
He's done in the NHL unless he refuses to report to Hartford and doesnt want to go to Europe. Then i guess his contract would be terminated and he could sign for the league minimum with some other team to stay in the NHL. Rangerboy could correct me if im wrong on that.
What happened to Redden; why is he so terrible now? I don't get it.

fulk hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:52 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

really

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I am hoping this will be a good lesson for players about the dangers of trying to get overpaid. But it's more likely that players will just start demanding NMCs instead.
As they should. Doesn't mean every player will get one, of course.

I wish you the best of luck in your future career, if you take such a passive mentality into negotiations for your own salary. There is no "lesson" here about negotiating for a lucrative long-term deal. The only lesson re-enforced is that if you do not perform in the NHL, you are gone. Period.

NYR made a huge mistake with this contract. They corrected that error, best they can, starting today.

Last edited by Trottier: 09-25-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

This guy just lost his job.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooty mcboobs View Post
No idea. On the Sens he was declining, but still put up close to 40 points. In NY, he just fell apart.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I am hoping this will be a good lesson for players about the dangers of trying to get overpaid. But it's more likely that players will just start demanding NMCs instead.
You make it sound like Redden held a gun to Sather's head to get that contract. Get real. Dumb management decisions are a result of these terribly overpaid contracts.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

It isn't Redden's fault that he got such a ridiculous contract. He just fell into a free agent market that didn't really have many "star" defenseman. Wouldn't you take $6.5M over $3M?

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooty mcboobs View Post
I recall many Sens fans claiming some rumors of Redden having an interest in nose candy... but seeing how morose the guy is, I don't buy it.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:02 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
$6,500,000.00 CAP HIT!

He will ONLY be picked up on re-entry waivers in my opinion ($3,250,000.00)

I would love to see Gauthier take him on re-entry waivers ONLY if Hamrlik and Spacek are off the books.

Markov - Redden
Gorges - Subban
Gill - O'Byrne
dude, youre crazy. Redden is terrible. he always was. Ottawa taking hime over Chara must have been based on some extreme xenophobiv / pro-canada ideology in their front office. hes a defensive sieve and always is in big games.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
So Redden has a sub-par final 2 yrs in Ottawa and still Glen $ather gives him that contract. Anyone wanna tell me why they shouldn't be stuck with Wade ?
Quote:
Because it's legal in the CBA that they can send him down? It's sort of like how the Kovalchuk contract is legal. As a Devils fans you should be the last people complaining when others use the CBA to their cap advantage.
Quote:
The Devil fans have short memories. McGillis,Matvichuk.Marshall.Malakhov.Mogilny. In the case of the latter two,first year of their SPC's didn't count when they were assigned to the AHL. Stay away from the players with the letter M. Lou sent those players to the AHL for cap relief and when another team does the same thing,they complain.

If the Devils can't trade Zubrus or Salavador,guess where they are going? Albany.

They won't be complaining then.

Quote:
Redden is not going on re-entry.
Only a fool would think he would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Had to be done, but I'll be honest, I do feel bad for Redden in a way. This is basically the end of his career.
Same. I feel for him. There really wasn't much to dislike about the guy, other than his contract... If he had a 2M cap hit people would haven't much to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluske View Post
Hope he enjoys his pay day because it just ****ed up the best thing he had going. (playing hockey)
Balls in Wade's court. He has choices. Play in Hartford? Refuse assignment there, get his contract terminated, and test free-agency? There's always Europe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
6.5 million is his cap hit, what are the actual numbers for his yearly salary?
23M remaining, 6.5M x2, 5M x2....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
If he goes to play in Europe, are the Rangers on the hook for any of his salary?
I think its a lot liklier that he would want to play in Europe rather than ride the busses in the AHL.
There are numerous beautiful places Wade can play in, if he wants. Great areas for him and his family, and the added incentive would be extra income. He'll collect his 23M, on top of whatever the contract he signs in Europe.

Quote:
The only people who lost respect for the Rangers are the people who had no respect for them to begin with. Big ****ing loss

Wade, and every player in the league should be thrilled with the way the current CBA is constructed. This isn't the MLB. It's a violent, physical sport with guaranteed contracts. Wade should be thrilled this isn't the NFL. He still collects his money. He had 2 years to prove his value, and ultimately failed. He didn't even shoot par. He should have been waived last summer with this emotionless, docile play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Undeserving? Again, Sathers DIDN'T have to sign Redden to that contract.

And is there a clause in Redden's contract saying he has to play well. And define well enough? Because to me well enough is actually putting on skates and playing. He has a +8 last year and in the last two years has only missed 8 games, which is pretty good.
The Rangers weren't the only team to have offered Redden a long-term, lucrative contract. And Redden himself didn't have to sign the contract.

This is the real world buddy. If you fail to meet expectations, don't be surprised when **** like this happens. And if Redden was still a valuable player, he would have had enough value to garner a trade elsewhere.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 09-25-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: qdp
Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:06 PM
beastly115

Reading comprehension fail across the board.

Redden is not going on re-entry waivers.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Vitto79

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

yea this is a move to get rid of the cap hit, sadly they will have to do this every yr for the next 3 unless they make an agreement with a Euro team but i doubt he does that after he just had a baby like 2 days ago, crazy few days for the Reddens but honestly he has 6.5 million reasons to keep smiling.

Captain of the Whale?,hah

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:14 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

And just like that Redden's NHL career is over.

I just don't think he's worth league-minimum.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote