HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew Cogliano

Old
09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Andrew Cogliano

It is my belief that Cogliano will end up being surplus due to increasingly fine play of Hall,Eberle,MPS and Omark. Leaving little room in the top 9 of the Oilers for Cogs.

What you are getting.

A young and very fast Winger/Center. He has 2 seasons were he scored 18 goals already in his young career. He also comes really cheap at 1 million on a 1 year contract.

His cons. Cogs is coming off a poor offensive season. He is a very poor center and has tough time winning draws. The question still remains is he a top 6 forward who can score or a bottom 6 player with blazing speed and stone hands?

What the Oilers want

Young Defensmen. Preferably someone that may be able to play a top 4 spot someday. Perhaps someone that has fallen from grace lately. Someone 22 or younger as well.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Next Best Thing*

How about Yannick Weber? Fits your description exactly.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'm pretty sure MPS-Cogilano-Brule will be Edmonton's third line and it'll also be the fastest line in the league... could be wrong, th ough...

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Leave this thread until after the season.. when Cogs brings his value back up.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Karlssonlee

Why does he play center, I feel he is better suited as a winger

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
How about Yannick Weber? Fits your description exactly.
Yeah I would imagine they would want more back then that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

I know the Leafs are high on him, but with a a log-jam on D and a need for talent up the middle, they could afford to give up a guy like Gunnarsson plus a lesser prospect for a young center like Cogliano.

Gunnarsson, Reimer

for

Cogliano, 5th

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Miller Time

I could see a deal between the Oilers and Devils involving Cogliano...

To NJ
Souray (5.4m, ufa 2012)
Cogliano (1m, rfa 2011)

To Edm
Rolston (5m, ufa 2012)
Salvador (2.9m, ufa 2012)
d prospect (one of Urborn/Corrente/Gelinas/Merill)

Edm unloads Souray, and gets a veteran top 9 forward and a veteran mid/bottom-pairing dman, as well as a solid d prospect.

Rolston could be a nice addition, despite being overpaid, given their young and inexperienced top 9 forward group. Given their top 4 d (Smid/Gilbert/Whitney/Foster), a defensive veteran dman like Salvador would be a nice complement to their back end.

they don't give up much seeing as they don't want Souray, and Cogliano is somewhat redundant given their group of forwards (young, fast, smallish). They do add 1.5m$ in salary, but with both Devil contracts up in 2012, and the oilers not having any important players due a new contract until then (except Smid), they can easily absorb that cap hit.

For NJ, they clear up 1.5m$ in cap space this season without creating any holes in their roster, and arguably upgrading their lineup in the process. If healthy, Souray instantly upgrades their D, and Cogliano should fit in well on their 3rd line.

I see it as a win-win for both teams...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:11 AM
BattleGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I could see a deal between the Oilers and Devils involving Cogliano...

To NJ
Souray (5.4m, ufa 2012)
Cogliano (1m, rfa 2011)

To Edm
Rolston (5m, ufa 2012)
Salvador (2.9m, ufa 2012)
d prospect (one of Urborn/Corrente/Gelinas/Merill)

Edm unloads Souray, and gets a veteran top 9 forward and a veteran mid/bottom-pairing dman, as well as a solid d prospect.

Rolston could be a nice addition, despite being overpaid, given their young and inexperienced top 9 forward group. Given their top 4 d (Smid/Gilbert/Whitney/Foster), a defensive veteran dman like Salvador would be a nice complement to their back end.

they don't give up much seeing as they don't want Souray, and Cogliano is somewhat redundant given their group of forwards (young, fast, smallish). They do add 1.5m$ in salary, but with both Devil contracts up in 2012, and the oilers not having any important players due a new contract until then (except Smid), they can easily absorb that cap hit.

For NJ, they clear up 1.5m$ in cap space this season without creating any holes in their roster, and arguably upgrading their lineup in the process. If healthy, Souray instantly upgrades their D, and Cogliano should fit in well on their 3rd line.

I see it as a win-win for both teams...
No thanks. I'd rather pay half Souray's salary to play for another club then take on all that garbage.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I know the Leafs are high on him, but with a a log-jam on D and a need for talent up the middle, they could afford to give up a guy like Gunnarsson plus a lesser prospect for a young center like Cogliano.

Gunnarsson, Reimer

for

Cogliano, 5th
I'd do that, but I'd rather see a pick over a random prospect.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus PI View Post
No thanks. I'd rather pay half Souray's salary to play for another club then take on all that garbage.
Rolston and Salvador may each be overpaid, but I don't think I'd call either of them garbage.

and those 4 d prospects are as good or better than any of the oilers d prospects...

if you think that 1.5M$ extra cap hit, while improving your roster, is garbage compared to paying 3.7M$ for Cogliano, and souray sitting on a sofa somewhere, so be it... I couldn't disagree more.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

It's too soon to write Cogliano off.

He was terrible most of last season (probably due in part because he was almost traded for Heatley, and partly because he was forced into a grinding role with guys like Moreau).

However, he ended the season on a point streak and has looked good so far in preseason.

I think if he really has his confidence back, he could potentially score 20+ goals for the Oilers with top six minutes.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ementy

Quote:
Rolston and Salvador may each be overpaid, but I don't think I'd call either of them garbage.

and those 4 d prospects are as good or better than any of the oilers d prospects...

if you think that 1.5M$ extra cap hit, while improving your roster, is garbage compared to paying 3.7M$ for Cogliano, and souray sitting on a sofa somewhere, so be it... I couldn't disagree more.
As an oilers fan I have to agree it's a good proposal

Ementy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeus3007*

Quote:

Gunnarsson, Reimer

for

Cogliano, 5th
If we can change Reimer to another d-man prospect, then yes. The Oilers have a lot of goalies now, and honestly, I've watched Reimer since his days on the Rebels, he will be lucky to be an NHL backup someday.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
BattleGuy

Quote:

Why would we take on any salary? We have lots of cap space and no intention of spending it this season. We're not paying Rolston 5 million to play on the 3rd line. I wouldn't mind Salvador though. I would also take Jeff Petry over any Devils D prospect without a second thought.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
BattleGuy

Quote:

Gunnarsson, Reimer

for

Cogliano, 5th
I do this but I don't think TO would.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Fire Julien

Ryder, Hunwick for Cogliano+2nd

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:

The only one of those prospects I would consider fair value for taking on that much salary would be Ubom (?sp?). I do not, however, think that Rolston would waive his NTC, unless its to go to a cup contender.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If we can change Reimer to another d-man prospect, then yes. The Oilers have a lot of goalies now, and honestly, I've watched Reimer since his days on the Rebels, he will be lucky to be an NHL backup someday.
Ummm, dunno which Reimer you watch. But ever since his days with the Rebels all he has done is be a strong goaltender at each level. His problem has been that he hasn't had a full healthy season since his 2nd last with the Rebels which has slowed his development. Pre-season he has looked great. Last year in the AHL he also looked great.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
It is my belief that Cogliano will end up being surplus due to increasingly fine play of Hall,Eberle,MPS and Omark. Leaving little room in the top 9 of the Oilers for Cogs.

What you are getting.

A young and very fast Winger/Center. He has 2 seasons were he scored 18 goals already in his young career. He also comes really cheap at 1 million on a 1 year contract.

His cons. Cogs is coming off a poor offensive season. He is a very poor center and has tough time winning draws. The question still remains is he a top 6 forward who can score or a bottom 6 player with blazing speed and stone hands?

What the Oilers want

Young Defensmen. Preferably someone that may be able to play a top 4 spot someday. Perhaps someone that has fallen from grace lately. Someone 22 or younger as well.
Matt Lashoff

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Ryder, Hunwick for Cogliano+2nd
Ummm....no. How about Cogliano for Ryder, Stuart and a 2nd. Then I'm thinking about it (Ryder=negative value to Edmonton, and cap space for Boston). If not, then I would be happy with Cogs for Stuart and a later pick, and you can keep Ryder.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:50 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
Ummm, dunno which Reimer you watch. But ever since his days with the Rebels all he has done is be a strong goaltender at each level. His problem has been that he hasn't had a full healthy season since his 2nd last with the Rebels which has slowed his development. Pre-season he has looked great. Last year in the AHL he also looked great.
Strong goaltender, yes, but NHL starting potential? Heck no.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
birddog*

Quote:

Gunnarsson, Reimer

for

Cogliano, 5th
Not happening Gunnarson led the Leafs in +/- last year and played 21 minutes a night - he's not expendable - he's top 4 for 10 more years.

If Gunnarson is moved, which he won't be, his value is much higher.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
and the year before he wond the ECHL championship... he'll play in the NHL...soon. At the very least he'll be a good back-up with potential.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:57 AM
misfit

Being bad on faceoffs is a lot different than being a "very poor center".

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote