HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pogge future with Canes

Old
09-25-2010, 01:04 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
Pogge future with Canes

Hey,
I followed Pogge very closely when he was a prospect with the leafs and now that he's moved on, I'm curious to see how he's done so far in training camp and pre-season with the Canes. Do you guys think he has a future with the Canes, and I missed the game yesterday so I'd like a quick recap on how he played. Thanks!

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
Hey,
I followed Pogge very closely when he was a prospect with the leafs and now that he's moved on, I'm curious to see how he's done so far in training camp and pre-season with the Canes. Do you guys think he has a future with the Canes, and I missed the game yesterday so I'd like a quick recap on how he played. Thanks!
From reading a few write-ups on the game he looked pretty good. Some mistakes were made but were largely in part to his and his defence not being familiar with eachother. Honestly, though, he was only picked up as part of the Ward trade because several goalies within the system were injured. He may still have a future in the nhl as a backup but it won't be in Carolina. Peters is currently better and Murphy looks to have higher upside and should hopefully win the starting role in Charlotte. They could end up splitting the season as Pogge is a solid goalie at the ahl level.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 05:45 PM
karparules

Pogge has played okay in the preseason. However, in the home game against Nashville, I was noticing that his positioning is rather poor and he tries to make up for it with reflex-based saves. This resulted in some glove saves that, while looking impressive, really should have been routinely chested down or easily caught. I haven't watched a lot of Pogge in his pro career (for obvious reasons), but I wonder if this is the main obstacle to his possible NHL career. I just don't think he can rely on making reflex saves at the NHL level when he makes it hard on himself by not cutting angles, etc. I mean, there are NHL goalies that have been able to get by on this kind of goaltending, but for the most part those guys have been freaks of nature like Hasek. I'm guessing that Pogge will play most of his career in the AHL or Europe if he wants to be a No. 1 guy. I can see him being the type of player that could get on a hot streak and post some NHL wins, so it never hurts to have his experience on the team.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote