Notices

Anaheim @ Vancouver, 09/25/10 7:00 pm Pacific

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

vCash: 500
Matt Beleskey is an absolute steal in the 4th round...just saying. I love that kids game.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
While I'm as big a supporter as there is for sending Fowler down, there aren't really any negatives to a 9-game tryout. He might get motivated or better informed of what he needs. It might ease the transition later. A year isn't lost on the contract or of his RFA status. In fact, if anything it might save money later if he loses Calder eligibility.

The only real negative is that he will miss out on junior preseason.

Must be some kind of mutants. Or a clone army.
The only real negative would be if we lost someone like Mikkelson on waivers in order to accommodate Fowler for those 9 games. Someone will need to be sent down in order to keep Fowler here, unless Carlyle goes with 13 forwards.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:15 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
The only real negative would be if we lost someone like Mikkelson on waivers in order to accommodate Fowler for those 9 games. Someone will need to be sent down in order to keep Fowler here, unless Carlyle goes with 13 forwards.
Meh. I don't think anyone would claim Mikkelson. And I'd be happy if someone took him, since it would free up a contract. I don't expect Mikkelson to become anything.

But point taken.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:17 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
I liike mikkelson more than festerling.. just my opinion

Old
09-25-2010, 11:18 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
You do realize that having no real top line out there and then having Fowler playing against the Sedin line just MIGHT be playing into why he's not looking so good? Rookie defenseman vs the hart winner and he looks bad, the guy must be a bust not deserving of any time in the regular season
Please tell me where I say that he's a bust or remotely where I even hinted at a bust.

We have no top line, but he's going to be defending like this every night. Every NHL team has a 'top' line that he has to defend against. He can't control the physical play as well as Sbisa does, especially since he bulked up in the offseason. Not to mention, he's playing like he has no time to think with the puck, he wants to get rid of it as fast as possible.

Fowler is the real deal, but he's not going to be in his 1st year. 9 games placing him in a bottom-pair role with limited minutes may not be the best for him given the way he looks right now.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
Please tell me where I say that he's a bust or remotely where I even hinted at a bust.

We have no top line, but he's going to be defending like this every night. Every NHL team has a 'top' line that he has to defend against. He can't control the physical play as well as Sbisa does, especially since he bulked up in the offseason. Not to mention, he's playing like he has no time to think with the puck, he wants to get rid of it as fast as possible.

Fowler is the real deal, but he's not going to be in his 1st year. 9 games placing him in a bottom-pair role with limited minutes may not be the best for him given the way he looks right now.
i see your point but i dont see how it could hurt to give him a taste of the NHL. but i guess you already said why it could hurt so i guess this post is pointless haha

Old
09-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Meh. I don't think anyone would claim Mikkelson. And I'd be happy if someone took him, since it would free up a contract. I don't expect Mikkelson to become anything.

But point taken.
Yeah I'm not sure Mikkelson has the intelligence to ever be a regular at the NHL regular, I was just using him as an example.

I think Green and Smith have looked good tonight, I wouldn't be opposed to either making the team in a depth role.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:

He certainly isn't going to be on the top pairing with Vis. So I'd expect his playing time against other top lines to be rather more limited than tonight. 9 games in a bottom pairing will allow him some time to ease into NHL speed, and if he's fragile enough mentally that his confidence would be ruined within 9 games then......he'd be a bust regardless.

And most teams have absolutely nothing like Vancouver's top line. As much as I hate them they are elite and play a pretty unique style.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:26 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Are we not even going to celebrate our 1 goal?

Old
09-25-2010, 11:29 PM
bumperkisser

is it just me or does ryan seem faster?

Old
09-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer View Post
Wow.

This was the WRONG game to place a bet on.
Why would you ever bet on a unpredictable thing like a preseason game? Probably the worst games to bet on with any sport

Old
09-25-2010, 11:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
haha Jeff Tambellini is getting the old "If you can't score with these two than you just can't score" opportunity.
So does this mean we can say Tambellini can't score?

We just gave Vancouver their first preseason victory. Reminds me of last year where we gave Toronto their first victory.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Yes. Balance seems better too.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Dirk316

With this Defense Murray is really making the right decision to force 3 "scoring lines" of mostly subpar players. We will really make the playoffs and if we dont Carlyle should be fired because this team is built to win!

Old
09-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Paul4587

Ryan and Selanne both looked better late in the game when they were separated. I wonder if Carlyle tries them together again or if he'll go back to what works.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
Yeah for one of those breakaways I thought it was Teemu at first. Ryan wasn't capable of that a couple years ago. It just goes to show that, occasionally, a guy can change his work ethic.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:35 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Are we not even going to celebrate our 1 goal?
Go fourth line! Show how it's done

Old
09-25-2010, 11:36 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

I'd rather see Fowler dominate in the OHL and a setup like this:

Vis - Lydman/Sbisa
Sutton - Sbisa/Lydman
Mara - Brookbank
Festerling/Mikkelson

Brookbank isn't a slouch, he definitely earned his spot as a #6. Windsor will heavily rely upon him to be moving the puck and creating the offense. Fowler should be cracking the lineup in 11-12.

But hey...I'm not a GM so I don't know lol. Just in our best interest. We have enough defensive depth in the A me thinks.

Old
09-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Why would you ever bet on a unpredictable thing like a preseason game? Probably the worst games to bet on with any sport
Because I'm an idiot.

And now it's become painfully obvious...

Old
09-25-2010, 11:50 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Go fourth line! Show how it's done
Thank you kducks.... that's why you're my favorite

Old
09-26-2010, 12:04 AM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
He certainly isn't going to be on the top pairing with Vis. So I'd expect his playing time against other top lines to be rather more limited than tonight. 9 games in a bottom pairing will allow him some time to ease into NHL speed, and if he's fragile enough mentally that his confidence would be ruined within 9 games then......he'd be a bust regardless.

And most teams have absolutely nothing like Vancouver's top line. As much as I hate them they are elite and play a pretty unique style.
I think everyone is putting a little too much weight in losing confidence. Sure I understand that it matters, but not to the extent that it's being argued here.

Fowler is going to make the NHL, probably next year at the latest. I seriously doubt playing him 9 games and sending him down is going change that.

Old
09-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer View Post
Because I'm an idiot.

And now it's become painfully obvious...
Lol I love the honesty.

So far this game is just reiterating two things myself and many others have said:

-Ryan should not be playing center. (we don't have the wings right now to make 3 scoring lines anyway)

-Fowler isn't ready for the NHL

Old
09-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
I think everyone is putting a little too much weight in losing confidence. Sure I understand that it matters, but not to the extent that it's being argued here.

Fowler is going to make the NHL, probably next year at the latest. I seriously doubt playing him 9 games and sending him down is going change that.
That was my point. I can't see a real downside to giving him a taste of the NHL at te beginning of the season to motivate him.

Old
09-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Bringing him up and sending him back down just destroys his confidence. There's no sense in giving him false hope that he makes the team this year. Not physically mature enough to handle the NHL where players are 20-30 lbs bigger.
I have been on the confidence thing more than anyone lately, and I don't think 9 games would hurt his confidence. I don't think it helps much either though. If it were up to me he wouldn't get any games this year. However, if he gets 9 games it's not a big deal.

I think confidence is a huge part of hockey for young players (all young athletes actually, not just hockey), but being sent down after 9 games isn't going to affect it IMO.

Old
09-26-2010, 01:08 AM
wolfmother

I was at the game tonight, here are a few things that stood out to me:

1) Sutton was horrid. The 2nd Canucks goal was entirely his fault. He had a chance to clear the puck, he turned it over, he got it back and turned it over again and was standing like a dummy while they passed it around him and into the net. It was embarrassing.

2) Fowler and Sbisa both seemed to be dominated by Canucks forwards on the forecheck. Both turned the puck over a few times in those situations. Neither seemed especially strong and appeared to collapse quite easily from a canuck forward playing the body.

3) Sbisa got burned badly once to the outside by Tambellini and he spun and grabbed on to his back, I was amazed there was no holding call.

4) Veilleux seems very reckless... I saw him get away with 2 blatant slashes, one was on Hansen and he was angry.

5) Ryan needs to shoot. There were a few times where he skated across the blue line and in situations where we have seen him use the toe drag shot using the opposing defenders legs/body as a screen, he instead made weak backhand passes at Selanne that were picked off.

6) Selanne and Koivu were our best forwards. Koivu seemed all over the ice, especially in the 1st and 3rd, and I loved the tussle between him and Joel Perreault.

7) Bodie is massive... and he tries to play like a power forward by taking guys to the outside... and he likes to take one arm off the stick to block the canuck defender... however when he braces himself for physical contact, he stands up straight and the other player gets low and he keeps getting knocked off the puck. It was bugging me.

Closed Thread