HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wade Redden salary cap game

Old
09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Wade Redden salary cap game

A small pet peeve regarding Wade Redden. When people say the Rangers won't place Redden on waivers and then send him or the AHL or loan him to another league OR they'll trade him to Edmonton for Sheldon Souray's $5.4 million cap hit(a deal which comes from Eklund-no smilie necessary),how are the Rangers shedding the $4 plus million to get under the cap for a 23 player roster which is what John Tortorella and Glen Sather have mentioned and have enough money to operate the team for the entire season?

Really would like to hear about the alternatives. Don't use the bonus cushion. The Rangers have never used the bonus cushion. They always spend within the upper limit of the cap.

Here is the information

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator/index.php

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Frolov ($3.000m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.821m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) /
/ Tim Kennedy ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Steve Eminger ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,221,667; BONUSES: $1,312,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $178,333

Line-up with Redden. No White,Gilroy,McDonagh,Boyle and MZA. 20 player roster. Drury will miss the first handful of games so the Rangers will need another player. Can't use LTI for a short term injury which counts against the cap. $1.1 million reachable games played bonus for Prospal and the rest of the bonus belongs to MDZ. Waive Eminger and sign Semenov for close to the league minimum saves a few bucks but really makes no difference. Eminger is making $1.5 million in salary.

Drury has a NMC. NO waivers or Hartford without his permission. Rozsival is locked into a top 4 spot opposite MDZ or Staal. If it's not Redden,then who?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 08:21 PM
pwoz

It's Redden. Dumping him to the AHL lets you keep a D like McD and two forwards like Kennedy and Boogey as spares (for example) and we have 23.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
The day this happens, these boards, they will explode.

Explode.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post

Explode.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:21 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post

Explode.
If we win the Cup there will probably be less excitement than what would result from Redden getting demoted

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Still hope its a more permanent solution that just burying him in Hartford to play for the Whale! (sorry, had too). I hope somethin can be worked out to have him play overseas or something, just dont want to see Wade in camp every year for the next 3 yrs trying to win a spot, its really just embarressing.

My biggest hope is some radical change to the CBA that requires them to give every team a striaght cash buyout of 1 contract..wishful thinking right?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's not my job as a fan to figure out how to fit players under the cap. That's why the Jackass who signed Redden to the deal is paid so much. Let him figure it out.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
TrojanRanger

Wait so if Redden goes an plays somewhere in Europe does he still count against the summer cap?

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:20 PM
TrojanRanger

double

Last edited by TrojanRanger: 09-21-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Double
TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 10:36 PM
CM PUNK

ok here is my attempt to get under the cap (with no bonus) with redden still on the team (disclaimer--not saying this is the team i'd pick just trying to make the numbers work).

first i'm making an assumption that we can sign semenov as the 7th dman for $600k/year...all other salaries are from capgeek.

13 forwards--frolov, stepan, gaborik, dubinsky, anisimov, callahan, avery, drury, christensen, boogaard, boyle, kennedy, prust

7 dmen--mcdonagh, redden, rozsival, staal, girardi, del zotto, semenov

2 goalies--lundqvist, biron

22 man roster...total payroll $59.3675

players that i'd be waiving/dealing--prospal, white, mza, eminger...and we'd have zero cap space to make any moves during the year so its a terrible option but for the sake of the 'game' it fits under the cap

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Wait so if Redden goes an plays somewhere in Europe does he still count against the summer cap?
I think so--because he would loaned to that team and paid by the Rangers.

In any case, I doubt this is an option because published reports (probably where I saw it is Andrew Gross' blog) have said that Redden and his wife are expecting their first child very soon.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:48 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
ok here is my attempt to get under the cap (with no bonus) with redden still on the team (disclaimer--not saying this is the team i'd pick just trying to make the numbers work).

first i'm making an assumption that we can sign semenov as the 7th dman for $600k/year...all other salaries are from capgeek.

13 forwards--frolov, stepan, gaborik, dubinsky, anisimov, callahan, avery, drury, christensen, boogaard, boyle, kennedy, prust

7 dmen--mcdonagh, redden, rozsival, staal, girardi, del zotto, semenov

2 goalies--lundqvist, biron

22 man roster...total payroll $59.3675

players that i'd be waiving/dealing--prospal, white, mza, eminger...and we'd have zero cap space to make any moves during the year so its a terrible option but for the sake of the 'game' it fits under the cap
Prospal? No way he is waived so Redden can make the squad.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 05:18 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Cm punk why the hell would you waive or deal mza

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:11 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
A small pet peeve regarding Wade Redden. When people say the Rangers won't place Redden on waivers and then send him or the AHL or loan him to another league OR they'll trade him to Edmonton for Sheldon Souray's $5.4 million cap hit(a deal which comes from Eklund-no smilie necessary),how are the Rangers shedding the $4 plus million to get under the cap for a 23 player roster which is what John Tortorella and Glen Sather have mentioned and have enough money to operate the team for the entire season?

Really would like to hear about the alternatives. Don't use the bonus cushion. The Rangers have never used the bonus cushion. They always spend within the upper limit of the cap.

Here is the information

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator/index.php

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Frolov ($3.000m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.821m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) /
/ Tim Kennedy ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Steve Eminger ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,221,667; BONUSES: $1,312,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $178,333

Line-up with Redden. No White,Gilroy,McDonagh,Boyle and MZA. 20 player roster. Drury will miss the first handful of games so the Rangers will need another player. Can't use LTI for a short term injury which counts against the cap. $1.1 million reachable games played bonus for Prospal and the rest of the bonus belongs to MDZ. Waive Eminger and sign Semenov for close to the league minimum saves a few bucks but really makes no difference. Eminger is making $1.5 million in salary.

Drury has a NMC. NO waivers or Hartford without his permission. Rozsival is locked into a top 4 spot opposite MDZ or Staal. If it's not Redden,then who?
I have a vague memory that we used the bonus cushion in 2006-2007 when Shanny made $4 M loaded with bonuses - but I may be wrong here...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Levitate

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Rangers have used the bonus cushion before, but no matter.

Maybe they'll use the Hartford name change to confuse Redden.

"Wade, the Whale is back! Due to salary constraints, we're sending you there"

"Really? I didn't know the Hartford Whalers made a return, that's awesome! I'm sorry to leave New York but I'm excited to be part of the comeback of such a loved NHL franchise!"

"Umm, yeah, that's it...good luck Wade!"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 07:32 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
If we win the Cup there will probably be less excitement than what would result from Redden getting demoted
lol..sad but true.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:05 AM
TrueBlueJoe89

Redden will be gone. Chances are he will be suiting up for a team in Europe rather than playing for the Pack. Wade Redden does not want to play for the Wolf Pack and neither do the Rangers want that influence around their kids. It is not good to have a disgruntled vet around your youth.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:10 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I have a vague memory that we used the bonus cushion in 2006-2007 when Shanny made $4 M loaded with bonuses - but I may be wrong here...
Yes, we did. But it's in our best interest to not use the bonus cushion. Every bonus dollar we go over the cap this year is one less cap dollar we'll have next year.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 08:28 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I can't envision a situation where this team breaks camp with Redden on the opening night roster.

At this stage of the game, his cap space is infinitely more valuable than he is as a player on the ice.

For all the reasons stated.

Roster flexibility for the first month as Torts starts to get comfortable with those "bubble" players at both Forward and on Defence.

He says he wants to carry 23 players, but to do that with competent players room as to be made. The ONLY one that can be moved to make room financially is Redden.

Ideally, the preference is to trade him for a lesser salary and then bury that salary, but the end game is going to be waive Redden and carry your 23 guys until Torts is comfy enough to stick with 20 guys long enough to save accumulated cap space for a trade later in this year.

My 23 man roster?

Lundqvist 6.875 and Biron .875 = 2 for $7.75

Gaborik 7.5, Callahan 2.3, Dubinsky 1.85, Frolov 3.0, Drury 7.05, Prospal 2.1, Anisimov .821, Prust .8, Avery 1.937, Boogaard 1.65, Kennedy .55, Christensen .925, White 2.375 and MZA 1.75 = 14 for $34.608

Staal 3.975, Girardi 3.325, Dizzy 1.087, Rozy 5., McD 1.3, Eminger1.125 and Gilroy 1.75 - 7 for $17.562

23 players Cap Hit of $59.92

That is approx. 600K north of the 59.4 Cap which means that we will have to use SOME on the Bonus Cushion and push off any overage to next year.

And depending on when we decide which forward to remove, that cushion useage is going to be very negligable in amount

I would think that by November 1st Torts is going to his his 13 forwards and 7 defenceman set which means that Cap Compliance is easily attainable.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
Prospal? No way he is waived so Redden can make the squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Cm punk why the hell would you waive or deal mza
as I said in my post as a disclaimer that is in no way shape or form the team i'd field and i would not keep redden on the roster under any circumstances. even if we somehow moved rosy and drury and were $15 mil below the cap, i'd still waive redden cause he sucks...

but the point of the thread was to 'for sh!ts and giggles' try to come up with a complete roster with redden without going over the cap. and the only way you can do that is to sacrifice other guys like prospal and mza.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I think the team has multiple options with all the vets and youngsters in camp. Redden could end up in Hartford but so could MZA, White, or Eminger... Camp will decide and if Drury's injury adds cap flexibility some may get a longer look.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Because he is a one-way contract, he would. I'm pretty sure, if someone else could verify this, it would be nice.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Because he is a one-way contract, he would. I'm pretty sure, if someone else could verify this, it would be nice.
Unless Redden does anything to breach his contract, his full cap hit will count against the summer cap until the end of his contract.

Until the Salary Cap hits 65 million, the Rangers will not be able to fully use the entire salary cap during the summer. For example, with the 10% overage allowed in the offseason, the Rangers are allowed 59.4 million plus 5.94 million. With Wade Redden's 6.5 million effectively on the books, the Rangers have a true summer cap limit of 58.84 million.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 11:45 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
.jdsjdjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
If he plays in Europe, his cap hit will disappear.

Similar to what is happening with the Black Hawks and Huet. They are about to divest themselves of the Huet contract by allowing him to play over-seas.

They are still responsible for paying the salary, but it will not count against their cap.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
If he plays in Europe, his cap hit will disappear.

Similar to what is happening with the Black Hawks and Huet. They are about to divest themselves of the Huet contract by allowing him to play over-seas.

They are still responsible for paying the salary, but it will not count against their cap.
People thought there was no way Sather can move Gomez. Done. We even got back a pretty good prospect in McD.

People thought there was no way Sather can move Brashear. Done. We got back a pretty good hockey player when he's healthy. More importantly, a hockey player that plays a position we're pretty thin at, who's under 35, and has zero character issues.

People thought there was no way Sather can move Kotalik. Done. Not only was he moved to a team that was on his NTC, we acquired a pretty good player in return (prust).

GM's have more flexibility with players than we give them credit for. We're outsiders who have no clue what happens behind closed doors.

I'm pretty sure Sather can find a way to make Redden dissapear. I think Europe is a realistic scenario.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote