HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

**** you spacek. habs lose 6-2

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Gill's a curious player. He was really good in the playoffs for you guys... but before that, I always thought him to be an "old NHL" type player. Big guy, not a lot of mobility. Has he improved his lateral speed in recent years?
Gill was everything you could have wished for and more since coming back from his broken foot (or ankle?) last season. He started the season slow due to playing through the pain of the broken foot, but really, he turned some corner in pittsburgh and continued his excellent play with habs.

He's kind of a late bloomer.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
How is allowing 6 goals considered a good rebound game?

In Price's last 30 or 40 games including the playoffs, how many time has he allowed 4 or more goals.

After the 1st game people were saying relax, that it's only preseason after this game people are again saying no worries, it's only preseason.

Isn't anyone seriously concerned about Price being our no 1 goalie this year.
Last year we had Halak as an insurance policy and this year we have Alex Auld instead.

I think our forwards will be competitive this year as well as our defense corpwith a healthy Markvov and Subban.

Our goaltending but Price specifically is looking like our weak link at this point.

Anyone who denies this is surely blind.

I used to be a huge fan of Price in the beginning but the lustre wore off a couple of years ago.
Dude can you not read? I said he had a good rebound game for half a game so before you go on that long rant trying to crap on my post, learn to read.

Btw, I didn't read the rest of your post. Didn't pay much attention to it. But that's the same amount of attention to detail that you paid to my post.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Gill was everything you could have wished for and more since coming back from his broken foot (or ankle?) last season. He started the season slow due to playing through the pain of the broken foot, but really, he turned some corner in pittsburgh and continued his excellent play with habs.

He's kind of a late bloomer.
Strange. You'd think a broken ankle would have slowed him down, not sped him up.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:30 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Dude can you not read? I said he had a good rebound game for half a game so before you go on that long rant trying to crap on my post, learn to read.

Btw, I didn't read the rest of your post. Didn't pay much attention to it. But that's the same amount of attention to detail that you paid to my post.
Is this what it's come to? I can see it now..."he had a good rebound game for the first 10 mins". Again, I don't fault Carey for today's game, but the constant coddleling by some of the posters here is disgusting.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Strange. You'd think a broken ankle would have slowed him down, not sped him up.
It was only after he came back from rehab when he really elevated his game. He was hampered by the injury early in the year and finally got taken out when he couldn't play through it anymore. He was quite poor early in the season.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:33 PM
TankEller*

I expected this game to be tougher than usual, missing Markov, Subban, Hamrlik, Gionta, Gomez, Kostitsyn and Eller. Gotta say though, I hope Gill is all right, and I hope Spacek will be fine when season starts.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:38 PM
overlords
Hfboards

title wasn't meant to be serious, lighten up brahs

Old
09-25-2010, 09:39 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

You guys should see the feed on the Canadiens official FB page...

It's official. The Leafs have the most delusional fanbase in the NHL, and we have the Dumbest.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:41 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
How is allowing 6 goals considered a good rebound game?

In Price's last 30 or 40 games including the playoffs, how many time has he allowed 4 or more goals.

After the 1st game people were saying relax, that it's only preseason after this game people are again saying no worries, it's only preseason.

Isn't anyone seriously concerned about Price being our no 1 goalie this year.
Last year we had Halak as an insurance policy and this year we have Alex Auld instead.

I think our forwards will be competitive this year as well as our defense corpwith a healthy Markvov and Subban.

Our goaltending but Price specifically is looking like our weak link at this point.

Anyone who denies this is surely blind.

I used to be a huge fan of Price in the beginning but the lustre wore off a couple of years ago.
I have the same concern as you do. Price did not have a lot of confidence to start this season and Habs management gave him the crappy team A with really weak defense to start the pre-season. Put him back against the Wild to rebuild his confidence.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
TankEller*

By the way, it's not right to put the loss on Price's shoulders, but it's ok to put the blame of a 6-2 loss on the shoulders of Jaroslav Spacek? Double standards, once again...

There are many other negative points than "Spacek" tonight. Weber's development looks like it hit a wall, and that's far from being comforting.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
habtastic

As I said after the 1st game, FAR more worried about Spacek (and Hammerlik) than Price. Price will improve, get to his level soon. The other two I just don't see having the ability to play well. Hammer, MAYBE, if it's a repeat of last year's first half. Spacek just does the same thing every time. He just gets the puck and throws it away. it'll hit an opponents skate causing a rush or he won't get to it on time, mishandle it, etc. The last good game I remember from him was during the Washington series, before he got ill. We can hope that it's just conditioning and that he'll get better, but it's not going to be by very much. It would be nice if his shot was actually worth something. At least MAB was useful in that dept. (not that I want him back). Spacek will be manning the point on the PP2 unit (or perhaps even PP1 with Subban). Expect some SHGA. I know, it's just preseason, but I've had issues with Spacek before and his talent isn't really on the rise.

Also, Leblanc is freakin awesome. I wish we had space for him this year cuz he's so much fun to watch.

Good sign from Carey - he didn't golf swing his stick at Spacek by the end of the game. He's matured, cuz I don't think I would have restrained myself.

As for a double std., I don't think Price played extremely well or anything. I saw him making the same mistakes in decision-making as he made on wednesday. I'm confident, however that he will be able to correct those things. Pre-season for a goalie is a time to work out the kinks, see what works, what doesn't. Same for D-men, but Spacek was making mistakes that were far and above those that Price was and I'm worried he just might not get to the point where he will be able to correct them (due to his fitness or awareness or simple decline in his game). Now, I like all my Habs so I'm still behind Jaro (...ahem Spacek), but I'm more concerned about whether this is fixable. Thing is that Spacek does have some skills that others simply don't have to the same degree yet (as in that perhaps OB could fill in for, although I would like to see OB in the lineup). He can be a good puck handler, he can shoot the puck, although not nearly well enough as expected and he can play well positionally. He just needs to cut out the "Brisebois"s (who IMO was never actually as bad as people thought).

Last edited by habtastic: 09-25-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I missed the game , did Price let 6 goals in? Not that i care much it's preseason but I just don't want to hear ridiculous whinning everywhere I go

Old
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
TankEller*

One more thing. The way this team has played tonight in its own zone, what the hell is Martin's excuse not to play Avtsin? At least he could had scored a goal or two, unlike Fortier who was a complete nonfactor (did he even play?...).

As for Halpern, even in this loss, the guy's growing on me. Gritty, serviceable, bottom-line veteran we got here.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:47 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I missed the game , did Price let 6 goals in? Not that i care much it's preseason but I just don't want to hear ridiculous whinning everywhere I go
Yes. Including one from the corner of his own zone.

Definitely wasn't good tonight, but so wasn't the defense.

Old
JayBee*

Quote:

Dude I said he was bad on a couple of goals tonight but it doesn't change the fact for he was good half a game and not so good for the other half. Is that not the truth? Can I not point that out?

Is this what it's come to? You can't say anything positive about Price?

Wow.
Because as a goalie you need to play well the entire game. Who cares if he played well in the 1st period? Why is that even worth mentioning?

It's like saying Spacek had a good first shift. Well, he sucked the rest of the game. Consistency is everything.

I'm not pinning this on Carey, but people make too many excuses for him. At the same time, people tend to blame him for everything. There seems to be no happy medium...either you're a hater or a stan.

Old
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
By the way, it's not right to put the loss on Price's shoulders, but it's ok to put the blame of a 6-2 loss on the shoulders of Jaroslav Spacek? Double standards, once again...

There are many other negative points than "Spacek" tonight. Weber's development looks like it hit a wall, and that's far from being comforting.
As far as I'm concered, Spacek was bad but frankly, Price was not great either. Good first half, mediocre second half.

The fact is, Price isn't the problem, but he hasn't been the solution so far either. Hope that changes.

And weber is so inconsistent. Looks good on one shift and then bad another. I don't know what to make of him since I still believe in his potential. He is basically the only young guy that regressed under Boucher last year. Extremely frustrating since his talent is visible.

I really want to see what they do with Palushaj. He has impressed and I'm torn between giving him more development time in the AHL and some time with the big club. I think we will get clearer grasp of the situation in a couple of days when the rosters are cut down more.

BTW, didn't notice Klubertanz. how did he do?

Old
09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
As I said after the 1st game, FAR more worried about Spacek (and Hammerlik) than Price. Price will improve, get to his level soon. The other two I just don't see having the ability to play well. Hammer, MAYBE, if it's a repeat of last year's first half. Spacek just does the same thing every time. He just gets the puck and throws it away. it'll hit an opponents skate causing a rush or he won't get to it on time, mishandle it, etc. The last good game I remember from him was during the Washington series, before he got ill. We can hope that it's just conditioning and that he'll get better, but it's not going to be by very much. It would be nice if his shot was actually worth something. At least MAB was useful in that dept. (not that I want him back). Spacek will be manning the point on the PP2 unit (or perhaps even PP1 with Subban). Expect some SHGA. I know, it's just preseason, but I've had issues with Spacek before and his talent isn't really on the rise.

Also, Leblanc is freakin awesome. I wish we had space for him this year cuz he's so much fun to watch.

Good sign from Carey - he didn't golf swing his stick at Spacek by the end of the game. He's matured, cuz I don't think I would have restrained myself.
So Spacek and Hammer....2 proven performers...you're certain will not play well this season. But Price, who hasn't proven anything will?

Old
Kikizaz

Quote:
I'd sign Z. Michalek at $4m in a heartbeat. He's an outstanding defenseman and tremendously underrated.

Similar playing style to Anton Volchenkov / Komisarek. Very useful player to have on your club.
The point was not that we would not "want" Zybnek Michalek. The point was that we could not afford Z. Michalek. We would have loved to sign Michalek/Volchenkov/Tallinder/Martin etc... but our bigest UFA signing was 1.375 million dollars, and that was Pouliot. (He signed as a UFA, not RFA btw.)

At the moment our D looks pretty porous when Spacek is on the ice, he has looked slow and unsure of what to do with the puck, but we have to assume that he is not going all out and is "saving himself." If this is the Spacek we have the whole year, it is inexcusable to keep playing him over OByrne. When our D is healthy and playing together we do have one of the top 10 D in the league. Signing someone like Seabrook* as an RFA next summer will do provide us with Hamrlik's replacement (hopefully at a cheaper price)

*someone LIKE seabrook.

Old
TankEller*

Quote:
As far as I'm concered, Spacek was bad but frankly, Price was not great either. Good first half, mediocre second half.

The fact is, Price isn't the problem, but he hasn't been the solution so far either. Hope that changes.

And weber is so inconsistent. Looks good on one shift and then bad another. I don't know what to make of him since I still believe in his potential. He is basically the only young guy that regressed under Boucher last year. Extremely frustrating since his talent is visible.

I really want to see what they do with Palushaj. He has impressed and I'm torn between giving him more development time in the AHL and some time with the big club. I think we will get clearer grasp of the situation in a couple of days when the rosters are cut down more.

BTW, didn't notice Klubertanz. how did he do?
Klubertanz made a couple of nice outlet passes, but his decision making in the offensive zone was poor as hell. Also was underwhelming in his own end.

Best D tonight: Gorges.

I already said it, but Halpern's also growing on me. He's what we lacked IMHO.

As for Palushaj, he's slowly but surely winning the first recall spot in Hamilton. Really impressive along the boards tonight.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Is this what it's come to? I can see it now..."he had a good rebound game for the first 10 mins". Again, I don't fault Carey for today's game, but the constant coddleling by some of the posters here is disgusting.
It is the most annoying thing for me. I can't stand it. Sometimes I just want to let it go and not talk about Price's bad goals. But then some delusional Price lovers make the most outlandish excuses and my blood boils. The best one in the last GDT was something like "I swear Price is the unluckiest goalie". Really ? Unlucky ? What the hell.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Yes. Including one from the corner of his own zone.

Definitely wasn't good tonight, but so wasn't the defense.
bah I was hoping for a good game for him but I guess it's gonna be the end of the world everywhere in the city tomorrow

Last edited by Quarantesix: 09-25-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old
09-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Because as a goalie you need to play well the entire game. Who cares if he played well in the 1st period? Why is that even worth mentioning?

It's like saying Spacek had a good first shift. Well, he sucked the rest of the game. Consistency is everything.

I'm not pinning this on Carey, but people make too many excuses for him. At the same time, people tend to blame him for everything. There seems to be no happy medium...either you're a hater or a stan.
I definitely it was a mixed bag for him tonight. But I mention the good with the bad. He had good sequences and bad ones. If I can criticize him for the bad stuff, I can certainly give him credit when he did well.

He did well for half a game and was mediocre for the rest. If you only mention half of it, it gives a skewed perception.

Like I said, he wasn't the problem but he wasn't the solution. I make no excuses for him. He should have had some of the goals tonight.

And as far as I'm concerned, Spacek had some good shifts and some bad ones. I can admit the good with the bad. Why is it useless to mention that?

I find it ridiculous that I get crapped on for saying Price had a good half game and a bad half game. And then have my status as a fan questioned because I haven't been watching hockey for as long as others. What sort of logic is that. It's insulting.

Last edited by Nidema: 09-25-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old
09-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Klubertanz made a couple of nice outlet passes, but his decision making in the offensive zone was poor as hell. Also was underwhelming in his own end.

Best D tonight: Gorges.

I already said it, but Halpern's also growing on me. He's what we lacked IMHO.

As for Palushaj, he's slowly but surely winning the first recall spot in Hamilton. Really impressive along the boards tonight.
I liked the signing since day one.

Yea, the Palushaj trade is a crazy steal. Unless D'ago scores 20 this season.

Old
09-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It is the most annoying thing for me. I can't stand it. Sometimes I just want to let it go and not talk about Price's bad goals. But then some delusional Price lovers make the most outlandish excuses and my blood boils. The best one in the last GDT was something like "I swear Price is the unluckiest goalie". Really ? Unlucky ? What the hell.

If it is of any comfort to you, you aren't the only one that suffers from this.

But my attention has been somewhat deflected by the people who are asking for spacek's head right now

Old
09-25-2010, 10:03 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
If it is of any comfort to you, you aren't the only one that suffers from this.

But my attention has been somewhat deflected by the people who are asking for spacek's head right now
Spacek's play has been absolutely dreadful but really, it's most likely a case of a veteran dman not giving a crap for pre season games. I'll worry if he keeps sucking in the regular season.

Closed Thread