HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Round of Cuts (Zuccarello, Grachev to HFD; Semenov, Exelby released)

Old
09-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
I'm not saying that no one was high on Kreider going into the draft, after the draft, etc, and I'm not saying he didn't have a very nice overall year last year. I just think some people are starting to go overboard on their expectations for him and I feel like it's going to result in the same disappointment if he doesn't meet expectations right away.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm not saying that no one was high on Kreider going into the draft, after the draft, etc, and I'm not saying he didn't have a very nice overall year last year. I just think some people are starting to go overboard on their expectations for him and I feel like it's going to result in the same disappointment if he doesn't meet expectations right away.
Not for most. Then the normal people who realize that it usually takes time for kids to develop will just laugh at the posters who start crying and calling him a bust if he doesn't step right into the NHL with ease and put up 20G/30A his first year.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I have to totally disagree with Leslie's assessment after the Detroit game that Stepan is "DEFINITELY" not ready for the 1st line center job a
didnt we hear last year that MDZ was definitely not ready? i'd take the assessment with a pinch of salt.

it's too early to make assessments - throw him in and see what happens. you can give him 6-10 games and send him down if it doesnt work out immediately.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Not for most. Then the normal people who realize that it usually takes time for kids to develop will just laugh at the posters who start crying and calling him a bust if he doesn't step right into the NHL with ease and put up 20G/30A his first year.
Well perhaps the problem is that the disappointed are the most vocal

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Ke11y96

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik, Kennedy-Anisimov-Cally, Fedotenko-Stepan-Avery, Dubinsky-Prospal-Boyle, Boogaard-White-Prust

Lines from practice this morning via Gross's twitter

sucks to see christensen center the fro and gabbo

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Prospal at Center, Kennedy at LW, Avery at RW. Interesting, to say the least.

Don't like Avery to RW. Gives us 2 3rd line RWers.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ehh.

Stepan IMO is already a better player overall compared to Christensen.

I like Christensen, but Stepan plays an overall two way game, and is a much better passer/playmaker.

Its a tough call. But I personally think its a mistake not to see what Stepan can do with Gaborik in real games in October.

Christensen still keeps a roster spot, eitherway, with Drury still out.

This team would benefit from a player like Stepan.

And it would have to be understood that like with any young pkayer, he will have his off days, too.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
dccuse

wwmgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ehh.

Stepan IMO is already a better player overall compared to Christensen.

I like Christensen, but Stepan plays an overall two way game, and is a much better passer/playmaker.

Its a tough call. But I personally think its a mistake not to see what Stepan can do with Gaborik in real games in October.

Christensen still keeps a roster spot, eitherway, with Drury still out.

This team would benefit from a player like Stepan.

And it would have to be understood that like with any young pkayer, he will have his off days, too.
i still disagree and think that it should be christensens' spot to lose. However, one thing that a lot of us are ignoring is the input gaborik probably has.

He's the teams most gifted offensive player. Clearly the offense basically revolves around his success although this year it looks slightly more well rounded. In the end, torts and sather are going to have to consider gaborik's opinion and if im him, id prefer to start the season off with a guy i know i have chemistry with rather than a rookie for whom everything is a learning experience.

Gabby wants to succeed if not dominate - he should and hopefully will push the management to make the move that best positions him to make that possible. Some might say thats not really his job but whats best for him is best for the team and i hope he makes that clear. thats why i think despite stepans upsde, christ starts with the spot. However, if gabby thinks stepan has a spark and he can immediately make stepan a better palyer and vice versa, then again i defer to him.

Last edited by dccuse: 09-28-2010 at 11:10 AM.
dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
How does Stepan fit on this team when fully healthy?

Gaborik-Christensen-Frolov
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Prospal-Drury-Avery
Boogaard-Boyle-Prust
Fedotenko/Kennedy
I think in the end they are going to come to the concluision that he should spend some time in the AHL with Zuccarello and Grachev. That line would be fantastic and I fully expect all 3 to make the team next yr and get called up this year.

Next yr you can take out Prospal for sure and they can likely moves someone for a pick. Add Brad Richards as a UFA to that group and all of a sudden its a pretty solid squad. Then Drury , Avery full off the books the next yr.

Glass half full.........Glass half full

I also notice you dont have White which I also agree in the end he will go down.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
McRanger

Rangers:
Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-Prospal
Avery-Kennedy(Drury)-Callahan
Prust/Boyle/Fedetenko/Boogaard

Hartford:
Grachev-Stepan-MZA

Give that line a chance to succeed in the A, and as soon as Christensen or the team hits a big slump (which should not be long) call Stepan up to permanently take the 1C spot. Having Stepan start in the AHL might not just help him, it might be a big boost to his wingers.

McRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Stepanformayor*

McRanger, is it Stepans job to go to the AHL to "Boost" his wingers. If you think that Christ is going to fail then why send Stepan down. If this group of young kids are going to have success in the future we need 2-3 guys each year to make the jump. Stepan is as ready of a player as we have had in 5 years. He will make this team!! Christ failed at that spot last year. We do not have a guy who moves the puck from the middle spot like Stepan. He has proven this at every level he has played.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:06 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Does anyone know if Byers, Newberry & Williams cleared waivers to The Wolfpack... ahem sorry - to THE WHALE - today?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
McRanger, is it Stepans job to go to the AHL to "Boost" his wingers.
No, nor did I say it was. It is simply a potential benefit from the situation.

Quote:
If you think that Christ is going to fail then why send Stepan down. If this group of young kids are going to have success in the future we need 2-3 guys each year to make the jump. Stepan is as ready of a player as we have had in 5 years. He will make this team!! Christ failed at that spot last year. We do not have a guy who moves the puck from the middle spot like Stepan. He has proven this at every level he has played.
I do not see the gigantic difference between Stepan starting with the team and him being called up after a month or two. I am convinced that he has the ability to play starting now, I am not convinced that it is necessarily the best thing for him.

McRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
i still disagree and think that it should be christensens' spot to lose. However, one thing that a lot of us are ignoring is the input gaborik probably has.

He's the teams most gifted offensive player. Clearly the offense basically revolves around his success although this year it looks slightly more well rounded. In the end, torts and sather are going to have to consider gaborik's opinion and if im him, id prefer to start the season off with a guy i know i have chemistry with rather than a rookie for whom everything is a learning experience.

Gabby wants to succeed if not dominate - he should and hopefully will push the management to make the move that best positions him to make that possible. Some might say thats not really his job but whats best for him is best for the team and i hope he makes that clear. thats why i think despite stepans upsde, christ starts with the spot. However, if gabby thinks stepan has a spark and he can immediately make stepan a better palyer and vice versa, then again i defer to him.
You can't run a team like that. You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

Gaborik is a player, not a coach, and he isn't the captain, either. What he wants personally doesn't mean what's best for the team/organization.

Gaborik doesn't have a say. His job is to shut his mouth regarding roster decisions, and to put the puck in the net when he's on the ice.

Messier didn't want Zubov around, was that a smart idea? To trade your team leadr in points in your President's Trophy/Stanley Cup Championship season? Because of a personal gripe?

Sorry, but that's not how teams are managed.

As a coach and/or GM you put who YOU want on the ice. If a player has an issue with it, too bad. This is a professional business.

Anyway, Gaborik doesn't pick and chose his linemates/teammates.

The coaching staff and management will decide who best fits by watching the games.

And as far as team chemisrty goes, its really not that difficult to build team chemisrty and unity. Make the guys go to team building events, set up required on ice and off ice events that keep them around eachother long enough until they get to know one another on a personal basis, not just a professional basis. Its reflects on the ice.

Want Stepan and Gaborik to mesh? Make them roomates on road trips. Keep them attached by the hip at practice.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:24 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
McRanger, is it Stepans job to go to the AHL to "Boost" his wingers. If you think that Christ is going to fail then why send Stepan down. If this group of young kids are going to have success in the future we need 2-3 guys each year to make the jump. Stepan is as ready of a player as we have had in 5 years. He will make this team!! Christ failed at that spot last year. We do not have a guy who moves the puck from the middle spot like Stepan. He has proven this at every level he has played.
Except the NHL...........or AHL for that matter haha.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:27 PM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You can't run a team like that. You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

Gaborik is a player, not a coach, and he isn't the captain, either. What he wants personally doesn't mean what's best for the team/organization.

Gaborik doesn't have a say. His job is to shut his mouth regarding roster decisions, and to put the puck in the net when he's on the ice.

Messier didn't want Zubov around, was that a smart idea? To trade your team leadr in points in your President's Trophy/Stanley Cup Championship season? Because of a personal gripe?

Sorry, but that's not how teams are managed.

As a coach and/or GM you put who YOU want on the ice. If a player has an issue with it, too bad. This is a professional business.

Anyway, Gaborik doesn't pick and chose his linemates/teammates.

The coaching staff and management will decide who best fits by watching the games.

And as far as team chemisrty goes, its really not that difficult to build team chemisrty and unity. Make the guys go to team building events, set up required on ice and off ice events that keep them around eachother long enough until they get to know one another on a personal basis, not just a professional basis. Its reflects on the ice.

Want Stepan and Gaborik to mesh? Make them roomates on road trips. Keep them attached by the hip at practice.
apology accepted.

didnt say it was his job. but he probably has valuable insight as to who he can play best with and this is important information that should be considered in the coaching staff making the decision. i dont think gaborik is goign to cry that he only wants to play with "x", nor was i implying that. simply saying that if theres something gabby sees that suggests to him hed be better served with christensen, then the guys not on the ice should consider it, especially since our success is largely dependant on gabby's.

how you can compare what i said to messier having zubov traded is beyond me but again, apology accepted.

as for the roommates on the road idea? really? you think thats going to affect what happens on the ice - you think if stepan and gabby get around to scrabble after they check in we'll see some additional chemistry on the ice?

its not a question of whether they get along. if gabby says to tortorella, "john, listen. i like this stepan kid but i see something in erik's skating and his vision so far that makes me think me and him could kill it", i think he'll listen. gaborik is a smart hockey player, afterall

Old
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

stevezipay
Pavel Valentenko has lost his voice, so Ruslan Fedotenko was acting as interpreter and asking Tortorella questions for him

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Does anyone know if Byers, Newberry & Williams cleared waivers to The Wolfpack... ahem sorry - to THE WHALE - today?
Everyone cleared

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Everyone cleared
Thanks RB. You are always the most up to date guy around

So we the need to release (at least) 4 more players:

2 (ev 3) out of White*, Christ*, Kennedy*, Stepan, Boyle*, Fedotenko** on F are most probably next to be cut

" For sure" on the forward squad (which will be max 14 -probably only 13 at first though + add Drury later) is then Frolov, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Prospal, Anisimov, Callahan, Boyle, Bogaard, Avery and Prust.
Add in 4 of the above borderliners. Drury as stated starts on the IR.
When he returns - one more guy has to go. Or they do this now - perhaps with a minor trade coming up?

* - denotes needs to pass through waivers
** - denotes on a tryout - can be released

On D we have 9 players and probably 7 spots

Rozie, Staal, Girardi, MDZ are imo all sure shots

McD, V Tank, Sauer, Eminger* and Gilroy (*?) battle it out for the last 3 spots.

I am thinking - White gets waived and sent to Hartford for "future depth" (will he clear re-entry waivers? - probably later in the year it will not matter...), Stepan is sent down for grooming (I am not for this - but think perhaps that they want to raise the value of Christ before ev trying to get something for him in a trade after putting up some points with Gabby?), Boyle, Kennedy, Christ and Fedotenko (signs a 750.000 1 year two way deal) make the team. Who gets cut thereafter when Drury returnswill be very hard to guess...

Sauer is cut and then probably traded (to Phoenix, Edmonton or Boston for a low pick?), V Tank is sent down with a promise of being 1st callup, McD makes it (as only rookie), as does Gilroy and Eminger .
Time will tell...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
dccuse

looks like there's a spot on the island for fedetenko and eminger.

Old
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Except the NHL...........or AHL for that matter haha.
I guess the "that he has played" part is hard to comprehend.

You can't fault him for not having proven himself at a level.... that he hasn't played at yet...

I don't see why you wouldn't want to let a guy play and if he doesn't fit, you can send him down. It's not like he's susceptible to a waiver claim if we send him down after 10 or 20 games.... The kid has looked good in camp and has the right attitude. You can't tell one way or another for sure from a few training camp games anyway. (ie: Gilroy) Let him play until he shows he needs to take a step back and spend time in the A.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
looks like there's a spot on the island for fedetenko and eminger.
LOL.. Seriously.. There is a spot on the Isles for Feds and Eminger now.. Wow.. losing their #1 defenseman in Streit and their arguably #1 forward in Okposo for the almost the whole season is a killer for them... Both to shoulder injuries... Weird..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Thanks RB. You are always the most up to date guy around

So we the need to release (at least) 4 more players:

2 (ev 3) out of White*, Christ*, Kennedy*, Stepan, Boyle*, Fedotenko** on F are most probably next to be cut

" For sure" on the forward squad (which will be max 14 -probably only 13 at first though + add Drury later) is then Frolov, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Prospal, Anisimov, Callahan, Boyle, Bogaard, Avery and Prust.
Add in 4 of the above borderliners. Drury as stated starts on the IR.
When he returns - one more guy has to go. Or they do this now - perhaps with a minor trade coming up?

* - denotes needs to pass through waivers
** - denotes on a tryout - can be released

On D we have 9 players and probably 7 spots

Rozie, Staal, Girardi, MDZ are imo all sure shots

McD, V Tank, Sauer, Eminger* and Gilroy (*?) battle it out for the last 3 spots.

I am thinking - White gets waived and sent to Hartford for "future depth" (will he clear re-entry waivers? - probably later in the year it will not matter...), Stepan is sent down for grooming (I am not for this - but think perhaps that they want to raise the value of Christ before ev trying to get something for him in a trade after putting up some points with Gabby?), Boyle, Kennedy, Christ and Fedotenko (signs a 750.000 1 year two way deal) make the team. Who gets cut thereafter when Drury returnswill be very hard to guess...

Sauer is cut and then probably traded (to Phoenix, Edmonton or Boston for a low pick?), V Tank is sent down with a promise of being 1st callup, McD makes it (as only rookie), as does Gilroy and Eminger .
Time will tell...
I agree with most of what you say, but not about Step and Christensen. I don't think you can make these roster decisions based on wanting to play a guy as your first line center just to increase his trade value. Winning these early games is the first and only priority. These games mean just as much as the last games of the season. We need every point we can get in a division and conference that's even tighter than last season. The parity is going to reach an all-time high this season, imo. I think Stepan has made the 1st line look much more dynamic than Christensen has, even though Step has looked a little less involved than he did in his first game.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
stevezipay
Pavel Valentenko has lost his voice, so Ruslan Fedotenko was acting as interpreter and asking Tortorella questions for him
Well that's weird.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

I'm pretty sure the last few preseason games will have something to do with determining the last few spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
stevezipay
mmmkay...

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote