HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Toe Curves

Old
10-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Toe Curves

I am looking to chop the blade off of my Synergy Elite (has a skate gash in it) and replace it with the same Sakic curve. However, funds will be low for a bit and I have another stick with the same curve coming in the next week.

For the time being, I'd prefer to just chop the blade off because I think it's gone soft and put a spare blade I have. It's a Hossa/ Datsuk clone by Harrow (4). Shows as a toe curve, more like mid toe). I only used the blade 3 times when getting back into hockey. When used, it treated me alright.

Does a toe/mid-toe advantages only really include more spin on the wristers and easier dangling? Are there more?

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Islander102

I could tell you all the benefits/drawbacks to each curve but in the end it all comes down to using it on the ice and seeing what works for you. Kovalchuk and Ovechkin use gigantic mid curves. Sidney Crosby uses a barely noticeable heel curve, while 80% of the NHL uses a slightly bigger heel curve. Miro Satan and Michael Nylander used pronounced toe curves. There is no rhyme or reason, whatever makes you comfortable.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wherever the curve is, that's usually where you want to release the puck. A toe curve might put a little extra spin or dip on the puck, or allow you to shoot off the toe. I don't think curves make as much of a difference on your shot as a different flex or your own shooting mechanics.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 02:42 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
The harrow #4 doesn't really play like a toe curve. I find that it plays more like a heel curve, I have a phenomenally accurate backhand with it.

I use toe curves and I really like them mainly because I can shoot from anywhere on the blade and get basically the same result. I also LOVE them for puckhandling, it makes for great toe drags and multiple variations of the toe drag. Also a lot of toe pattern NHLers use a similar blade shape with a larger rocker, which I love.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote