HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Article on MTL goalies

Old
09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
rotoc

vCash: 500
Article on MTL goalies

Don't know if this has been posted yet.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...r-for-montreal

rotoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoc View Post
Don't know if this has been posted yet.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...r-for-montreal
Good article. Fans think there's 2 things on our team. The Goalie and the coach.

I believe that the "perfect" goalie for the Montreal fans are a low-profile VET with a nice personnality. Fans aren't patient with rookies. Fans don't like the type of attitude Price is perceived to have.

Reason why, if it comes to that, a guy like Craig Anderson is the perfect candidate. And it would just be a continuity....sending our goalies to Colorado.....'Cause clearly, Price CANNOT be sent to an Eastern team.

But again, the PERFECT goalie in Montreal will have a chance to be perfect the DAY the management understand how crazy it is and NOT rush a kid to play the toughest position in hockey, in the toughest city in the league. Price was perceived as a king the way he was brought up, the fans believed it, the fans expect big and will accept nothing less. If Price would have been brought up the way Rask was, I believe it would not have been the same situation.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Lucius

Great little article.

Shows the absurdity of the Molson Ex section.

Price is still a kid, and while I would have preferred we sign a 1B type goalie to keep mentoring and pushing him, rather than a pure #2, I hope he reads this article.

It illustrates that what he's dealing with is inevitable in this market, so hopefully he can learn to tune it out.

In the end, even with the cup rings plugging his ears, Roy gave into the fans (it was the fans booing him, and the mock celebrating that led to his confrontation)... I am not sure why I hope Price can do better, but before he came to MTL, he was considered a cool customer. Roy was always a hot head. So hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good article. Fans think there's 2 things on our team. The Goalie and the coach.

I believe that the "perfect" goalie for the Montreal fans are a low-profile VET with a nice personnality. Fans aren't patient with rookies. Fans don't like the type of attitude Price is perceived to have.
Yeah, I think the best two goalies we've had as far as stability in the last decade (aside from the Theodore crazy phenom years) were Hackett and Huet. Both perfectly fit your description.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Reason why, if it comes to that, a guy like Craig Anderson is the perfect candidate. And it would just be a continuity....sending our goalies to Colorado.....'Cause clearly, Price CANNOT be sent to an Eastern team.

But again, the PERFECT goalie in Montreal will have a chance to be perfect the DAY the management understand how crazy it is and NOT rush a kid to play the toughest position in hockey, in the toughest city in the league. Price was perceived as a king the way he was brought up, the fans believed it, the fans expect big and will accept nothing less. If Price would have been brought up the way Rask was, I believe it would not have been the same situation.
I know you're not that naive. Maybe his development would have been different and he'd be more solid today, but it doesn't mean he'll escape the boos.
Like the article states, we booed Ken Dryden...I mean, Ken freaking Dryden.
In a not so distant past, we booed out Roy.

I'm convinced Price will end his career under another uniform. I have doubts as to him even being capable of finishing the season here if things don't pick up.
I mean, if he gets booed in the first period of the first pre-season game..what will happen if he struggles right out of the gate?..What if he has a poor month of October??..This kid is walking on thin ice, I don't know how long it can last before it breaks but I don't think it'll be very long.
He needs to have a stellar performance tonight, or at least pull out a W.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I know you're not that naive. Maybe his development would have been different and he'd be more solid today, but it doesn't mean he'll escape the boos.

I'm convinced Price will end his career under another uniform. I have doubts as to him even being capable of finishing the season here if things don't pick up.
I mean, if he gets booed in the first period of the first pre-season game..what will happen if he struggles right out of the gate?..What if he has a poor month of October??..This kid is walking on thin ice, I don't know how long it can last before it breaks but I don't think it'll be very long.
It's not about being booed. It's about the possibility, at least what I think, to be so much on a guy's back, that the fans might actually have what they want and see Price being traded. This is not about being booed. This is about using a 23 yo kid as a scapegoat DURING THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME. This is at the totally different level.

By himself, he doesn't seem to have the "attitude" that we love to see in a player. While he would have been booed, it would have take MUCH MUCH more to a guy like Huet to be booed the way Price was. Again, Price was booed last year while having a 3rd star. It didn't happen to a lot of guys.

Halak might have lost his mojo and just being a good goalie instead of the extraordinairy one we witness.....but again, I believe it would have taken so much more than a bad preseason game so we'd be on his back.

So not rushing him, letting him learn the ropes and gradually make some progression in his career would have lowered the expectations. It might have come to being booed eventually....but at least the kid would have had some breaks and being in the NHL older, would have permit him to mature and be more able to take those boos in a different way.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-27-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Max Levine

Quote:

A very pessimistic prediction would have the Habs going on a long losing streak and Price losing all confidence. The way I see it, there is no reason this team falls right from the start. I'm not in his shoes but I do believe Price can survive a bad start of the season, let alone pre-season. After a few wins and a few stellar performances, the "booers" will quiet down, leave the building or become Habs fans again.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

A perfect goalie in Montréal is a goalie who doesn't lose. That way, there would be nothing to complain about.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Carey Chant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
A perfect goalie in Montréal is a goalie who doesn't lose. That way, there would be nothing to complain about.
Perfect goalie for Montreal is a goalie that gives his team the opportunity to win and not allow team deflating goals. The goalie can let in 3-4 goals a game but if he makes the big stop when necessary and they get the W in the end that's all that matters.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
tinyzombies

We all know Price has the talent and is a winner.

We need to step back and let him get in a groove imo.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

I agree, if this continues I think he will quietly demand a trade. I hope not, but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. The good new is, if he starts playing well, all will be forgotten and he will quickly take over as Montreals hero. There is still a chance for this to workout on positive front for both Price and the Habs, but the window seems to be closing more and more every day.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
shutehinside

I only hope that last Wednesday's booing of our #1 goalie has a positive effect in the long run. It seems to have opened the debate to how ridiculous and fickle some Habs "fans" can be and allows some perspective and enables us to be more tolorant of ALL younger players so they can develop. How quickly it can turn for PK if he has a bad serious of turnovers and his offence dries up, of Cammy not scoring in the Playoffs.

Bottom line is NO player is perfect, we rag on players like Crosby and Ovy ALL the time even though they're the best hockey has to offer. If there's a fault in a player we can find it and exagerate it 1000 fold especially one of our own that we see every day. Carey said it best when he said that the fans need to chill out and relax a bit. I think they need to do that a lot more.

Great article.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote