HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

This season's best and worst trade.

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Jungle Boy

vCash: 500
This season's best and worst trade.

03-04 season best trade (not a steal, one that worked for both sides)
My choice is Sydor to TB for Svitov to Columbus.
the worst would be Carter to LA for Aulin to WAS
what are your thoughts?

Old
06-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
what are your thoughts?

Karpotsev to the Isles for a 4th rounder has to be one of the worst. Yeah, it was minor in the scheme of things, but to give up a fourth rounder for a guy Chicago probably would have given us a third to take off their hands is disgraceful enough. Then, add on top of it Potsy played but two games for us before leaving for "personal reasons," argh!!! Typical Milbury, though - overpaying for a guy that everyone but he seems to know sucks.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
what are your thoughts?
Well, to be fair to Columbus, you can't judge Svitov just yet. That could end up being a trade that ably helps to meet the needs of both teams, one for immediate need and the other for a long-term solution at the center position.

As a Caps fan, I liked the Aulin for Carter trade! Although that said, you can't really judge that one either, especially as Carter may end up re-upping with the Kings and becoming part of the core. Aulin is just potential right now, though I suspect he'll develop into a solid scoring line player, myself.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:37 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Well, to be fair to Columbus, you can't judge Svitov just yet. That could end up being a trade that ably helps to meet the needs of both teams, one for immediate need and the other for a long-term solution at the center position.
He wasn't saying that Tampa Bay robbed Columbus, though.

He said that the Alexander Svitov for Darryl Sydor trade was one that helped both teams. You're trying to defend a case that he's in agreement with you on.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:38 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Oh, as an Avalanche fan... acquiring Steve Konowalchuk and a 3rd round pick for Bates Battaglia and Jonas Johansson had me jumping out of my seat. Konowalchuk was our hardest working forward, played on every line, played on the powerplay and penalty kill, and provided legitimate, gritty offense that this team has lacked.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:40 AM
pappa jan

Miikka Kiprusoff to Calgary from San Jose for a 2nd rounder in 05 worked out pretty well for Calgary. This is not a bad trade by San Jose as Kipper was the third string goalie by then. I guess this was a win-win trade.

Old
06-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Great call on the Sydor trade.

I'd have to say the acquisitions of Simon & Niemenen for next to nothing rank right up there though for best trade of the year!

I also would have to give props to Sather for getting good value for moving the vets at the deadline. He was able to get a lot more back than I thought he would for guys like Kovelev & Rucinsky.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:17 AM
AEKaki

Jackman for Berehowsky :lol :lol :lol

Old
06-04-2004, 11:22 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
That's the best trade Toronto's made in year.

When it came to camp time, Jackman would come out flying... playing the best hockey of his life... then when he had a roster spot and the season started, he was absolutely horrendous.

Now, the younger defensemen don't have to be sent to the minors because Ric Jackman shows up for 3 weeks to play... they'll actually get a shot at making the team.

Great trade for Toronto.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
That's the best trade Toronto's made in year.

When it came to camp time, Jackman would come out flying... playing the best hockey of his life... then when he had a roster spot and the season started, he was absolutely horrendous.

Now, the younger defensemen don't have to be sent to the minors because Ric Jackman shows up for 3 weeks to play... they'll actually get a shot at making the team.

Great trade for Toronto.
that was a good one :lol :lol :lol

Old
06-04-2004, 11:31 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
that was a good one :lol :lol :lol
Ask anyone who saw Jackman play on a regular basis.

He was no better then a #8 defenseman on the Leafs.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Jasper17

The Kipper trade had to be the best, i can't really see how anyone could argue that.

The Kono deal was also a very good trade for the Avs.

As for the worst trade of the year. I think that goes to Ottawa. The Bondra deal was horrible for them. especially when they could have had Witt or Kolzig instead for the same price. Why they went for Bondra instead is crazy.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Ask anyone who saw Jackman play on a regular basis.

He was no better then a #8 defenseman on the Leafs.
I was just playin with you sorry.On a serious note though I think the Kippo trade was the best while the worst has to go to LAs deal to Pttsburgh for Straka.The reason for this deal was to get a guy to replace the injury prone Alyson, so they went and got Starka (Straka is far to injury prone himself).Besides they gave up two decent players.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:43 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Bondra to the Sens didn't work out in any which way, shape or form for the Sens. The Caps will probably end up getting Bondra back and landed a pretty half decent prospect in Laich to boot.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
He wasn't saying that Tampa Bay robbed Columbus, though.

He said that the Alexander Svitov for Darryl Sydor trade was one that helped both teams. You're trying to defend a case that he's in agreement with you on.
Och! You're completely right. That will teach me to try and post before I'm fully awake.

As for the Konowalchuk trade, I totally agree. Great to see Kono play like that again. Great trade for Colorado, and time will tell how Washington fares out of the deal.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:54 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Nylander for a second round pick a couple of years from now was a good steal by the Bruins. Hopefully, they'll sign him in the offseason.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs

In this day and age some trades are harder to judge as monetary concerns are a definate factor, look to Jagr for Beech and company, that one was solely a salary dump. So this thread may be a bit misleading as to some trades.

But back to this one, obviously Jackman did not play for them as he did that last quarter of the season for us. Otherwise he would not be wearing black and gold now. The question is, which player do we actually have in Jackman. I saw nothing to indicate that last quarter of a season was a fluke, and if it plays out that way it was highway robbery. Remember players can take off in a new environment . . . can you remember a little trade with Vancouver? To look at how a player was with his original team matters little, it is who he is now.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
I was just playin with you sorry.On a serious note though I think the Kippo trade was the best while the worst has to go to LAs deal to Pttsburgh for Straka.The reason for this deal was to get a guy to replace the injury prone Alyson, so they went and got Starka (Straka is far to injury prone himself).Besides they gave up two decent players.
I don't think that was a bad trade ar all. at that moment the kings were still winning games and they needed some help up front, and Anshankov was expendable we had a lot of wingers better than him in our farm system.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:09 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa jan
Miikka Kiprusoff to Calgary from San Jose for a 2nd rounder in 05 worked out pretty well for Calgary. This is not a bad trade by San Jose as Kipper was the third string goalie by then. I guess this was a win-win trade.

Calgary has to be the hands-down winner of the best trade of the year for this one, IMO.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:38 PM
pittengineer

Quote:
I don't think that was a bad trade ar all. at that moment the kings were still winning games and they needed some help up front, and Anshankov was expendable we had a lot of wingers better than him in our farm system.
then anshakov was one of the better players for russia(and overall) during the wjc. i dont think it was a bad trade for either side. kings wanted a good player to help get them through their injuries and the pens wanted to get quality youth. i think anshakov's stock has risen since the trade(wjc mostly) and straka's injury makes this trade look a lil worse than it was. i think both sides were fairly happy on both ends.

trade of the year was the jackman for berehowsky. getting rid of berehowsky was addition by subtraction. jackman blowing up on the scene was just icing on the cake and looks to be a top 4 in pittsburgh for a while if he continues to do what he did last year.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:39 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

It doesn't quite compare to some of the other trades mentioned here, but CBJ got a 3rd round pick to rent Sanderson out for 2 months. Good deal for CBJ.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:28 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
If the previous offseason is inlcuded then the Drury Trade. Warrener becomes the Flames defensive MVP. Drury is our captain. Ballard got Colorado Vaananen and Gratton.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:49 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Trading off Darby Hendrickson and a 8th for a 4th or 5th rounder next year from Colorado...

Old
06-04-2004, 01:55 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Trading off Darby Hendrickson and a 8th for a 4th or 5th rounder next year from Colorado...
How is this considered amongst the best trades of the season?

Explain, please.

Old
06-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There seems to be a little uncertainty as to what constitutes a great trade... some are posting trades where they believe one team fleeced another as an example of a great trade; others are posting trades in which each team got what was needed or believes what it will need for the future, citing balanced return for each side as an example of a great trade. The question is being interpreted in two separate ways.

Closed Thread