HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will Game 7 be the last time we see 'Coaches Corner' on CBC/HNIC?

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Will Game 7 be the last time we see 'Coaches Corner' on CBC/HNIC?

Monday may very well be the last time Grapes will be on CBC. I hope not, as much as I don't agree with him most of the time, Grapes is definitely entertaining. CBC needs someone like Grapes to counter the asinine comments from Al Strachan on 'Hotstove'.

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/...6-F569A413A61B

Old
06-06-2004, 12:37 AM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
CBC would be stupid to drop him. He's an institution all to himself, and it doesn't matter if he's wrong or right, as long as he's there every saturday night to tell it like he sees it. I've grown up with him and Ron Mclean, and to me Don Cherry IS hockey night in Canada.

Old
06-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Traitor8

I don't like Cherry but from a business POV, it would be bad to drop him but I still don't see them keeping him. He is to contreversial for Cbc ...a public television company.

I see him on Sportsnet or maybe Tsn...they signed a Nhl deal to show more games so he might go there with Bob Mckenzie. I don't see him going to an american station.
Tsn and Sportsnet are always fighting each other for ratings and getting Cherry might put one of them over the top.

Old
06-06-2004, 01:45 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I don't like Cherry but from a business POV, it would be bad to drop him but I still don't see them keeping him. He is to contreversial for Cbc ...a public television company.

I see him on Sportsnet or maybe Tsn...they signed a Nhl deal to show more games so he might go there with Bob Mckenzie. I don't see him going to an american station.
Tsn and Sportsnet are always fighting each other for ratings and getting Cherry might put one of them over the top.
Who's gonna reign him in on those respective networks though? Cherry would crush anyone they put him with except possibly Darren Millard, who handles himself quite nicely when he argues with John Garrett.
Duthie vs Cherry would be highly amusing for the first 10 seconds...then Grapes would squash Duthie.

Old
06-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Traitor8

Lol..Duthie doesn't argue..he's just a host..he can be a guy after the 1st intermission who can replace that stupid 30 seconds arguing crap they have going on during a game... he comes in says a couple of things and with Bob Mckenzie and Don Cherry .. this could be huge ratings for Tsn...they would have great core of hockey knowledge.

Tsn also carries out WJC and Cherry could be involved in that since he likes good old canadian hockey a lot and shows little things that kids do during the game.

Old
06-06-2004, 09:31 PM
ajsonor

I've been watching HNIC across thoe border since I was a kid. Don Cherry and Ron Maclean are HNIC in Canada to us. I loved in the past when they would go on the road with the Ron Maclean show and do some entertainment between periods in the HSBA arena. If grapes goes, it just won't be the same.

Old
06-06-2004, 09:42 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I, personally have and still do enjoy whatever Cherry has to say. He is one of the few that doesn't pull any punches, and that's refreshing.

But let's face it. In this age, when you can't look at somebody the wrong way without them getting "morally offended" to the point of public uproar, Cherry would probably be smart to just call it a day, and enjoy a long and fun retirement.

That said, I want him to come back.

Old
06-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I hope he doesn't leave.

Old
06-06-2004, 11:13 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

If he leaves, I hope CBC pays for it in their ratings. The crappy thing is, it's only the intermission, and not the entire game, so I don't know if it would actually affect that or not.

Cherry has been on HNIC as far back as I can remember, and while I skip pretty much everything in the intermissions, I always watch Coach's Corner. I won't watch them anymore without him.

At least its practically a guarantee that someone else will pick him up.

Old
06-06-2004, 11:19 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut
If he leaves, I hope CBC pays for it in their ratings. The crappy thing is, it's only the intermission, and not the entire game, so I don't know if it would actually affect that or not.

Cherry has been on HNIC as far back as I can remember, and while I skip pretty much everything in the intermissions, I always watch Coach's Corner. I won't watch them anymore without him.

At least its practically a guarantee that someone else will pick him up.
It will have an effect because companies are willing to pay a lot to have commercials before and after the segment. It's a good chunk of revenue right there.

Old
06-06-2004, 11:41 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
It will have an effect because companies are willing to pay a lot to have commercials before and after the segment. It's a good chunk of revenue right there.
yeah, especially that god damn panasonic (or whatever) commercial they always sneak in right in the middle of the coaches corner intro. that timeslot must cost a ton

Old
06-07-2004, 01:06 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
If this is the last game of the NHL, I hope they make it one to remember. I really dont want the NHL to end on a 5-0 blow-out victory. I dont even care if they "fix" it so it goes to OT. As long as its a good game. I hope we see the longest game in NHL History, a 6 OTer with Iginla scoring on a breakaway. And once again I dont care if they have to stage it.

Old
06-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Russian_fanatic

If Cherry goes HNIC is going down watch !

Old
06-07-2004, 02:33 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Who's gonna reign him in on those respective networks though? Cherry would crush anyone they put him with except possibly Darren Millard, who handles himself quite nicely when he argues with John Garrett.
Duthie vs Cherry would be highly amusing for the first 10 seconds...then Grapes would squash Duthie.
Watching Millard mock Garrett actually makes me feel quite ill. Garretts a mouth full of homer most of the time, and his opinion can be pretty embarrassing, but that said, Millards treatment of him at times inspires me to do violence against him!

Old
06-07-2004, 03:25 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
If Cherry goes HNIC is going down watch !
I agree.

"Babbling BS Corner with Al Strachan" just doesn't have that 'ring' to it.

Old
06-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite
"Babbling BS Corner with Al Strachan" just doesn't have that 'ring' to it.
Eeek, don't scare me like that.

Just when I was begining to understand this HNIC phenomenon...

Old
06-07-2004, 06:53 AM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
I must admit...i cant really stand his racist comments towards russians but cherry IS HNIC...If theres no cherry...there probably wont be HNIC...But you gotta admit...IF Cherry does not resign...look for him on TSN,sportsnet or maybe even the score

Old
06-07-2004, 10:11 AM
BLONG7

Brian Burke and Ron McLean would make a great duo!

Old
06-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Brian Burke and Ron McLean would make a great duo!
But "5 minutes for fighting" with Brian Burke and Al Strachan has a nicer ring to it.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Bill McNeal

HNIC was around before Cherry and will be around long after.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Luigi Lemieux

you guys are acting like this would be the death of hockey in canada.

does the "center of the hockey world" really need a senile old man to keep ratings up?

Old
06-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis

does the "center of the hockey world" really need a senile old man to keep ratings up?
If it does, the sport is in worse shape than I thought.

Old
06-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:

So you're a Strachan fan 'eh?

Old
06-07-2004, 02:55 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:

This is probably the best comment on this thread (that and the one above it about HNiC being around before AND after Cherry). He's gotten WORSE every year. 10 years ago, you could at least stomach him a bit. Now he's so puffed up with himself that it's impossible to watch for more than 10 seconds or so at time. Good thing "Coaches Corner" is only 5 minutes long, with a break in the middle!

I agree, though, that Al Strachen is MUCH worse.

IF CBC does not renew Cherry's contract, I think in 1 year they will ask him back...at a smaller salary, and with the 7-second delay intact. If he turns THAT down, well, no one has the right to complain. Personally, I'd rather see something like the old "Showdown '76" competition in between periods than listen to Cherry's anti-everyone-not-Canadian rants.

Old
06-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Big Phil

I hope to God that this isnt Cherry's last night on HNIC. I know there have been a bunch of "tree-huggers" on CBC that have wanted him of of there for eternity, but my question is why? If you look beyond the fact that he may yell at the camera once in a while he makes some very good points about the game. Love him or hate him most of the things he says are correct. Think about what he says in his Rock Em Sock Em movies. He has some great values on the game. They never have deviated. Stuff like hitting form behind, runing up the score, not being a hot dog. Let's face it Don talks about the way the game should be played. He's cut from an old cloth and is a dying breed of what I think this country needs more of. He sticks up for Canadians and Canadian kids first. But of course that's a bad thing to do in this country. We need to focus on that kid from Slovakia that's here to take a job away from one of our kids in Junior Hockey.

But he has a great set of morals that are lost in all of this. Stuff like his appreciation for war heroes, his patriotism, not taking the Lord's name in vain, stuff like that is what he believes in. And what he says is true most of the time which angers the bleeding heart Liberals (because no one can be offended nowadays). So really I think we need a voice like his in Hockey. Someone has to come out and say it.

Closed Thread