HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Zach Boychuk doesn't make the team...

Old
09-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If Zach Boychuk doesn't make the team...

Where do you see this going? Will JR move him after an unimpressive training camp? Hang on to him and give him time in Charlotte to develop? JR can be funny sometimes when it comes to prospects, especially 1st round picks who don't develop at a quick rate or meet the organizations needs when they want and/or expect that player to do so.

I'm just a bit curious what everyone thinks here. When Boychuk arrived at his first training camp 2 years ago, JR was quite happy with him and let it be known how impressive Boychuks talents were - hands, speed, vision, etc.

I read this article posted here by Doyle, and it just got me thinking about Boychuk's future with the Hurricanes after what has been a pretty disappointing camp. I really expected Zach to come in and show he deserves a spot and potentially fill in where Whitney left off, to a degree.

For me personally, if Boychuk doesn't make the team here off the hop, i'd most certainly like to see how he fairs in Charlotte. Being a sophomore I would expect big things out of him, drastic improvements and the heart and desire showing he wants to be in the NHL. There was quite a bit of talk over the summer about different views and opinions on Boychuk, it just seems interesting how this camp as come together for him, or not for that matter. I'm really curious to see where we go from here, where Boychuk goes, and how the organization and JR view this once highly touted 1st round pick.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-27-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:36 AM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Personally, I am not down on Boychuk.

he is very young and everyone develops at different pace.

He should play in Charlotte this year, be one of the first guys on call during the injuries.

I bet he'll be a different player next training camp and there will be a spot for him in this roster.

Canes should definitely keep him.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I think trading him while is stock is the lowest is the worst thing they can do. To me, he seems to lack confidence right now and in order for him to be effective, he needs to get that back.

If that is the case, I'd personally like to see him go back to Charlotte to regain that confidence. He's still too young to give up on IMO.

If Mo/JR are bound and determined to keep him up with the team and he still isn't showing the offensive skills that we all thought he had, then I'd stick him on the 4th line and have him learn to be a contributor to other parts of the game and lower his expectations in hopes that the focus on that will build his confidence and allow him to succeed down the road in other parts of his game (a la LaRose).

This would only be if he didn't go back to Charlotte. I know most would say "it's a waste to have Boychuk on the 4th line", but if he isn't showing what it takes to play top 9, why leave him there to struggle.

Again, I'd personally want to see him back in Charlotte before anything like that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

is Bowman having a better camp? It's between those two right?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

If we're in contention for a playoff spot with him in Charlotte all season, then its Adios, imo

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
is Bowman having a better camp? It's between those two right?
Bowman is having a better camp, but it will depend on Injuries to Samsonov and Tlusty to know for sure if it just comes down to those 2.

Tlusty, Bowman, Boychuk, and Skinner are all in the mix for the final couple of spots (I assume Dalpe will get sent down and O'Sullivan will get a spot also).

Old
09-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
If we're in contention for a playoff spot with him in Charlotte all season, then its Adios, imo
I understand what you are saying..but I wouldn't go that far yet.

Let's say he and Dalpe go down and the team keeps Skinner, Tlusty and/or Bowman up and the team is in contention for the playoffs. Next year, there are a few contracts that would need to be renewed.

Cole, LaRose, Samsonov, O'Sullivan (I think he signed a 1 year).

The Canes are bound to lose a couple of those players and would leave spots for guys like Dalpe, Nash, and Boychuk to fight for. It would all depend how he performs if he goes to Charlotte.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I think trading him while is stock is the lowest is the worst thing they can do.
...which might be an argument for trading him now, before anyone else figures out that his stock has fallen.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

That's kind of what I was thinking geehaad. I'm not necessarily advocating trading Boychuk here, because I don't want to overreact and I am still a fan of his, but that idea has been running through my head lately. I say that because over the offseason any time the hockey press talks about the Canes, they always seem to gush over him; it seems like the general opinion around the league is that we have a future star here. Hopefully they are right and we do!

Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
...which might be an argument for trading him now, before anyone else figures out that his stock has fallen.
Well, that would only work if other GMs don't already know or couldn't watch his film from last year and/or pre-season. I'm pretty sure that if someone is trading for him, they'll know full well where he stands.

Old
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I understand what you are saying..but I wouldn't go that far yet.

Let's say he and Dalpe go down and the team keeps Skinner, Tlusty and/or Bowman up and the team is in contention for the playoffs. Next year, there are a few contracts that would need to be renewed.

Cole, LaRose, Samsonov, O'Sullivan (I think he signed a 1 year).

The Canes are bound to lose a couple of those players and would leave spots for guys like Dalpe, Nash, and Boychuk to fight for. It would all depend how he performs if he goes to Charlotte.

depending on how O'Sullivan does, all 4 of them can kick rocks...

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
One other comment to this. JR regularly gets killed on this board for "rushing prospects and ruining their development". Now we have a prospect player who isn't lighting up after 1 season of professional hockey (52 AHL games and 31 NHL games) and some want to dump him at the age of 20. (of course..JR tends to pull the trigger on things like that also so wouldn't surprise me).

I still think it would be a mistake to trade the guy. Anything we are likely to get in return is going to have the same sort of question marks. Give him some more AHL time to gain his confidence.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Good point. I will also say I thought Boychuk showed a few flashes of something special during his stint with the Canes last season. Not often, but there were at least a few moments during the 31 games. Hopefully with some more seasoning he can put it together.

I think one difference between now and the past is that we *gasp* actually appear to have some depth in our system, so we don't have to pin so much of our hopes on one guy.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I thought he was going to be a lock for the team this year. Is he really having a shaky camp? That's too bad.

I saw the hockey news projected him to have 55 points this year. Sounds like that is a bit optimistic at this point?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Good point. I will also say I thought Boychuk showed a few flashes of something special during his stint with the Canes last season. Not often, but there were at least a few moments during the 31 games. Hopefully with some more seasoning he can put it together.

I think one difference between now and the past is that we *gasp* actually appear to have some depth in our system, so we don't have to pin so much of our hopes on one guy.
True...I think the other reason people are down on him (and this is fair) is that his development seems to have stagnated / gone backwards from last year (at least in the limited amount we've seen him) vs. others.

Old
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
depending on how O'Sullivan does, all 4 of them can kick rocks...
Don't know about kickin' rocks, but the list of UFA forwards for next season includes:

Samsonov
Cole
Jokinen
LaRose
Dwyer
O'Sullivan

Sutter and Tlusty are both RFAs.

Let's assume that Jokinen gets re-signed...maybe POS if he continues his preseason. That leaves 4 openings (assuming RFAs are re-signed as well). I actually think that Cole will get one more deal (2 years) if he just stays healthy and puts up 40 to 45 points. My gut tells me that Dwyer, LaRose, and Sammy are gone (yeah I know its blasphemy on the board to say Rosey is going, but I just think his time in Carolina is coming to a close given the talent pushing him - for the record, I hope his year this year proves me wrong). Their size plays against them. We have scrappy 4th line types who are both bigger and faster.

That would open up spots for 3 of the following:

Boychuk
Bowman (who may make the team out of camp this year)
Dalpe (who should make the team out of camp but probably won't)
Nash
Skinner (I hope he gets his 9 games this year and heads back to Jrs. but won't)

I think that Osala, Kennedy, and Staal "the younger" will vie for the team if Cole doesn't get resigned. We'll need big and fast to replace Erik.

So talk of Boychuk, losing confidence, and trades are pretty premature. Even though the NHL is becoming a "younger" league, being 22 or 23 and truly starting your NHL career is neither a scarlet letter nor a bad thing. Without a doubt we will have numerous "call ups" and "send downs". And, of course, JR is in charge so we will have a crafty trade or two that will have us all collectively scratching our heads, but will probably work out well for the team.

All this being said, I think Boychuk does not make the team out of camp. Works his butt off w/the Checkers and gets called up often (and sent down when injured players return, because he will have options), ultimately playing 40 or so games with the big club. After the trade deadline, he will be here for good for our post-season run.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bowman, Boychuk, Dalpe, and possibly Nash all see 30+ games in the NHL this year.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

O'Sullivan is an RFA

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
O'Sullivan is an RFA
My mistake...still, I have this gut feeling that Patty O is going to have a huge year here, appreciate the organization, and become a long-term Cane. My money's on his re-signing next year if he proves his mettle.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
geehaad

Quote:
O'Sullivan is an RFA
Wait...a team can sign a UFA and he then becomes a RFA of that team's? I'm having trouble believing this...

Old
09-27-2010, 12:11 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Quote:
Wait...a team can sign a UFA and he then becomes a RFA of that team's? I'm having trouble believing this...
Yes. The rules of when a player becomes RFA/UFA don't just disappear forever when they go unqualified or are bought out. Patrick Eaves was an RFA for Detroit this past offseason.

O'Sullivan will be 26 with six years of pro experience on July 1st.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:18 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Yes. The rules of when a player becomes RFA/UFA don't just disappear forever when they go unqualified or are bought out.
Not true...remember Brett Carson and Alexandre Picard's situation? Both were signed as UFAs.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533106

Your definition is certainly not ringing true to me...I think you're wrong about this.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:26 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

Quote:
Not true...remember Brett Carson and Alexandre Picard's situation? Both were signed as UFAs.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533106
The rules don't disappear *forever* is what I'm saying. The players who go unqualified will be UFAs as long as they don't have a team, but once they sign the usual RFA/UFA rules will apply whenever their contract is up. Those players simply become UFAs temporarily as a result of not being qualified or being bought out.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ying_offe.html

Eaves was bought out by Boston and signed a one-year deal with Detroit as a UFA. He was a restricted free agent the next summer.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
The rules don't disappear *forever* is what I'm saying. The players who go unqualified will be UFAs as long as they don't have a team, but once they sign the usual RFA/UFA rules will apply whenever their contract is up. Those players simply become UFAs temporarily as a result of not being qualified or being bought out.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ying_offe.html

Eaves was bought out by Boston and signed a one-year deal with Detroit as a UFA. He was a restricted free agent the next summer.
Factually correct. And Carson is an RFA at the end of this season once again despite the short trip to UFAtown this summer

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
geehaad

That is some weird, wacky stuff...I would've thought that once a team lets a player go, he is a UFA from that point forward.

Ok, I stand corrected...hadn't heard that one.

Old
09-27-2010, 12:51 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Skinner really makes Boychuk a bit redundant. As a second hand canes fan, I think he would be well served to have a year in Charlotte, and then see how Skinner does in Raleigh. If Skinner can make it through the 9 game trial and prove he is already worthy of a top 6 role, Boychuk becomes a movable commodity. But for now, let him build up confidence in Charlotte and see if he can atleast raise his stock a bit.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote