HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Zach Boychuk doesn't make the team...

Old
09-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Chuck do you really think we want Cole to do poorly... That's pretty odd don't you think... Cole scoring 70 goals would help us win, why wouldn't we want him to score 70... Put down the box of wine and think about that

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:51 AM
bleedgreen

Any talk of trading boychuk at this point is not only premature, its flat out nauseating. Just because for the first time in 15 years we have prospects doesn't mean we can start trading them off.3 years ago we had no prospects. We just gave up last years pick for tlusty, who is gone on waivers if he doesn't make it. Even if he "only" becomes a third liner he is still a home grown player who'd cost a lot more to bring as a trade or Ufa. Top teams are typically built around depth through good drafting. Detroit, Jersey, and they don't rush prospects either. Boychuk is still a bit rushed.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:22 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Any talk of trading boychuk at this point is not only premature, its flat out nauseating. Just because for the first time in 15 years we have prospects doesn't mean we can start trading them off.3 years ago we had no prospects. We just gave up last years pick for tlusty, who is gone on waivers if he doesn't make it. Even if he "only" becomes a third liner he is still a home grown player who'd cost a lot more to bring as a trade or Ufa. Top teams are typically built around depth through good drafting. Detroit, Jersey, and they don't rush prospects either. Boychuk is still a bit rushed.
Thank you... we have a lot of trigger happy fans here.... JR schooled us well.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
You think that? Really?
You don't? I understand you believe everyone's out to get your favorite player, but criticism doesn't mean we don't hope for the best. It just means that what he's producing isn't up to standards he himself set for us.

It's no secret that I like Babchuk and it's no secret that he's got his fair share of critics here and I realize that some of the rational criticism thrown his way is justified. However, I'd be willing to bet even the critics would like to see him do well, if not because of how it'll help the team, but also how it'll help his trade value at the deadline.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:35 AM
bleedgreen

Yeah I flame babs, but I'd root for him to improve for the reasons you listed. We either are better for it or get a better return at the deadline. I don't care how many goals he scores, he is brutal in his own end.

Old
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I hope Cole can be completely healthy all year and score 30 goals.
But if he does, and gets a new contract, Fruity Pebbles beware...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Scorvo

I agree with Chuck to a point. There does seem to be some stubborn argument on this board and I think people really like to be proven right. People will yell if Cole falters this year, but probably won't be so willing to eat their words if Cole has a good year. We'll hear things like "Well you should score at least 20 on Staals wing" or "He picked up his points against weak opponents" or the absolutely random stat that makes no difference whatsoever saying he still stinks.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:50 AM
geehaad

Many a stubborn and oft-repeated argument on this board...

Old
09-28-2010, 10:04 AM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
I agree with Chuck to a point. There does seem to be some stubborn argument on this board and I think people really like to be proven right. People will yell if Cole falters this year, but probably won't be so willing to eat their words if Cole has a good year. We'll hear things like "Well you should score at least 20 on Staals wing" or "He picked up his points against weak opponents" or the absolutely random stat that makes no difference whatsoever saying he still stinks.
Depends on your definition of "good year". If Cole gets 40 points getting 2nd/3rd line ES time and some time on the second PP unit, then that's a good year. If Cole gets 40 points playing the entire season with Staal and on the first PP unit, then I don't consider it a good year.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:08 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Many a stubborn and oft-repeated argument on this board...
and that's okay.

what you don't want to do is for people to think twice whether they should or shouldn't post simply because they don't feel comfortable posting, be repetitive, sound stubborn, etc...

at the end of the day we are all a bunch of friendly folks.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
what you don't want to do is for people to think twice whether they should or shouldn't post simply because they don't feel comfortable posting, be repetitive, sound stubborn, etc..
Speak for yourself. That's *exactly* what I wish would happen...

Thinking twice about what you're about to say is a mostly necessary component to reasonable discussion. Maybe many of us would prefer an unreasoned discussion, but I'm not one of them...

Old
09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Can I ask what's changed? I thought for sure that Boychuk was a lock for your roster this year. Has his play stagnated or have others just improved so much that he's been bumped down the depth chart?

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
LuLuBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Can I ask what's changed? I thought for sure that Boychuk was a lock for your roster this year. Has his play stagnated or have others just improved so much that he's been bumped down the depth chart?
Patrick O'Sullivan happened.

LuLuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:41 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Both... one is starting to lead to the other.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:

Thinking twice about what you're about to say is a mostly necessary component to reasonable discussion. Maybe many of us would prefer an unreasoned discussion, but I'm not one of them...
I agree. Except during the game and in the hour after the game where I reserve the right to be angry, beligerent, and non-sensical. It makes me feel better, and my wife doesn't have to listen to me rant about how bad the Hurricanes are due to the lovely outlet that is HFboards.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuBelle View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan happened.
Damn POS for messing with my hockey pool

Actually I forgot that you guys had invited him to camp. I could see him fitting in quite well in your top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Both... one is starting to lead to the other.
Thanks, I was afraid someone was going to say this. Hopefully if he does get sent down, it will be the kick in the ass he needs step up his game like he's shown in the past.

Old
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:

So if you don't like Cole, you aren't thinking before you type?

and 40 points playing on a top line with Staal all year is nothing to get much praise for... I hope my wingers get more then that on a top line... I would think top line 40 point winger would rank near the bottom of the league for a top line wing.... 40 points on the third or fourth line would be a very nice year, very nice... Not $3 mil nice, but I'd be happy as hell with those numbers

Old
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I agree. Except during the game and in the hour after the game where I reserve the right to be angry, beligerent, and non-sensical. It makes me feel better, and my wife doesn't have to listen to me rant about how bad the Hurricanes are due to the lovely outlet that is HFboards.
I like this guy

Old
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, I was afraid someone was going to say this. Hopefully if he does get sent down, it will be the kick in the ass he needs step up his game like he's shown in the past.
It's quite possible, he's still so young that a season or two in the AHL could make a real difference in his career track.

But full disclosure, if I had him in a keeper league I'd be shopping him for a different top prospect right now. Once we have final cuts and the season starts it's going to be more obvious that he's lost some ground.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's quite possible, he's still so young that a season or two in the AHL could make a real difference in his career track.

But full disclosure, if I had him in a keeper league I'd be shopping him for a different top prospect right now. Once we have final cuts and the season starts it's going to be more obvious that he's lost some ground.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think any of the poolers in my league read HF, so I might be able to dish him off before his value drops.

It will be sad to move him though, as I've enjoyed following his progress over the last couple of seasons.

I'll still have McBain though, please don't tell me that his play has dropped off as well.

Old
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think any of the poolers in my league read HF, so I might be able to dish him off before his value drops.

It will be sad to move him though, as I've enjoyed following his progress over the last couple of seasons.

I'll still have McBain though, please don't tell me that his play has dropped off as well.
He should be fine, points-wise. He'll be getting of PP time. His +/- may drop, because the indications thus far is he'll be playing on the 3rd pairing with Jay Harrison and Lidstrom couldn't draw a positive rating playing with the Harrison factor.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 0
He got snipped

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:37 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
If Cole gets 40 points playing the entire season with Staal and on the first PP unit, then I don't consider it a good year.
Really? Points aren't everything. I do expect Cole to put up points, but I also expect him to draw penalties, provide a physical presence, and occupy defenders perhaps allowing his linemates more open ice with which to work.

If he did score only 40, yet Staal and O'Sullivan lit it up, you'd consider it a failed season for Cole? Seems pretty myopic to me.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Chuck, Cole is not a physical presence any more... This isn't 5 years ago...

Old
09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
bleedgreen

Chuck it doesn't matter how good he does this season. It won't be good enough for some, or it'll be with some excuse why it happened. I'm with you. I think he has another kick left in the can.