HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Opening Night Lineups?

Old
10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
I would never refer to a line with Turris or Doan on it as checking lines. I do know that Tippett put Doan on Fiddler's line several different times last year....so laugh all you want. Also, there was this guy Gretzky who played on a line early in his career with Dave Semenko. That team was probably crap though.
Gretsky played hockey? I thought he was just a piss poor coach married to an old starlet, is all

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:38 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
Most likely. I mean we brought in Whitney, and he did well on the PP in preseason and back in Carolina, so he fits on either one of our wingers or one of the points (he played the point with the Hurricanes sometimes) Wolski or Doan can cover one wing, unless of course Whitney is on the point, then they each could play a wing. After that, one of Turris, Belanger, Hanzal, or Fiddler would play center, with the likely options being Turris or Belanger.
Quote:
Thats pretty deep for a PP and obviously if Whitney doesn't play the point you can put Morris with Yandle and then Slot in Lepisto with Jovo on the "3rd" unit
Okay thanks guys for the help.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 07:46 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd love to see Whitney-Wolski-Vrbata out on a power play.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
zitter63*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
I would never refer to a line with Turris or Doan on it as checking lines. I do know that Tippett put Doan on Fiddler's line several different times last year....so laugh all you want. Also, there was this guy Gretzky who played on a line early in his career with Dave Semenko. That team was probably crap though.

Um, gretzky put up 200 points, and was better than any of our lines combined, he didn't need matching linemates. They put in Cementhead to protect him, and his other linemate was ummm..... oh yeah jurri kurri, pretty sure they were ok without a quality 3rd.

zitter63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
zitter63*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Gretsky played hockey? I thought he was just a piss poor coach married to an old starlet, is all

And Gretter wasn't a piss poor coach so watch ur mouth, he was given a team of 18 year olds and no budget. Funny when Tips joined the team 4 or 5 guys that played the entire season with us never saw the ice last year. Tippet is great and deserve alot of credit for what he did, but the fact we solidified our team with experience and depth went along way in making the playoffs. For the record, the Yotes were in 4th or 5th at the allstar break that year and decided to lose the last 40 games, too many guys just couldn't keep up the pace, not Gretters fault.

zitter63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zitter63 View Post
And Gretter wasn't a piss poor coach so watch ur mouth, he was given a team of 18 year olds and no budget. Funny when Tips joined the team 4 or 5 guys that played the entire season with us never saw the ice last year. Tippet is great and deserve alot of credit for what he did, but the fact we solidified our team with experience and depth went along way in making the playoffs. For the record, the Yotes were in 4th or 5th at the allstar break that year and decided to lose the last 40 games, too many guys just couldn't keep up the pace, not Gretters fault.
The roster Tippett inherited was largely the same one that finished with 79 points the year before. On paper they looked similar, though some additions after the deadline last season improved the team that much more, but no doubt a big factor was the structure and commitment to winning he brought with him.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Right Zitter, and that's why I put Biznasty on a line with Turris...to protect him. And I never said I suggested that the entire season, let alone 10 games....but if BizNasty gets in one of the games with the Bruins, I say try him with Turris for a few shifts.

as for your other post, shockingly I totally agree with you about what little Gretzky had to coach with..but to keep this on topic I'll refrain from further discussion.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
The roster Tippett inherited was largely the same one that finished with 79 points the year before. On paper they looked similar, though some additions after the deadline last season improved the team that much more, but no doubt a big factor was the structure and commitment to winning he brought with him.
I totally disagree, but to keep things on topic I'll refrain from further discussion.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Gretzky couldn't arrange lines properly. He couldn't manage game situations properly. His Coyotes had more bench penalties, for too many men on the ice, than my local college team. Gertzky also insisted that his agent, Mike Barnett, call the shots as general manager and so the piss poor line up was also Gretzky's fault. Gretzky insisted that his old friends join the team for a last go around and a season of golf. Nedved, Amonte, Hull, etc.

And, yea, his last year was his fault because he put the Coyotes in a position to lose through piss poor coaching.

And don't let me get started on his aborted Left Wing Lock defense that he tried to use. Jeez. Tippett clearly coaches as a profession. Gretzky as a hobby.

Last edited by Scottrocks58*: 10-05-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old
10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Mike92

Quote:
Janet?

Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Mike92

Anyone else see that tips is trying korpi at center? Who do we bump to wing if this happens? Maybe just getting him ready to replace turris if he needs a break?

Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike92 View Post
Anyone else see that tips is trying korpi at center? Who do we bump to wing if this happens? Maybe just getting him ready to replace turris if he needs a break?
Skating with Prucha and Upshall. Interesting.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Does anyone know if Korpikowski played center w the Rangers or in Juniors, even?

Old
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Yeah, he did. Pretty sure he did it back home in Finland as well. In this clip you got Prucha, Korpikoski and Callahan on the ice. I'm assuming Korp is the center. Also played center last year a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpFuKFATf74

I forgot how to embed these things.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Yeah, he did. Pretty sure he did it back home in Finland as well. In this clip you got Prucha, Korpikoski and Callahan on the ice. I'm assuming Korp is the center. Also played center last year a bit.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:

v=CpFuKFATf74

You take that part and paste it in after you click the youtube icon.

It's really nice to have a couple of versatile players in Prucha and Korpikoski. If one of our wingers goes down, they can easily step in and fill a role within the system.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Gretzky couldn't arrange lines properly. He couldn't manage game situations properly. His Coyotes had more bench penalties, for too many men on the ice, than my local college team. Gertzky also insisted that his agent, Mike Barnett, call the shots as general manager and so the piss poor line up was also Gretzky's fault. Gretzky insisted that his old friends join the team for a last go around and a season of golf. Nedved, Amonte, Hull, etc.

And, yea, his last year was his fault because he put the Coyotes in a position to lose through piss poor coaching.

And don't let me get started on his aborted Left Wing Lock defense that he tried to use. Jeez. Tippett clearly coaches as a profession. Gretzky as a hobby.
I found it ironic that he always benched players that weren't working both ends of the ice... has he not watched his own game tapes... how's that cherry-picking Gretz? Let's not forget Da Fuhr!.... the goalie coach who never was. Maybe Tocchet should have been the finance guy? Surprised McSorley wasn't hired to be a bodyguard from the media.... wait he was the Falcons' Head coach for 2 seasons? Was he teaching batting practice? How many coaches with a record of 328 G-143 W-161 L-28 OTL and no playoffs keep a job for 4 seasons? That's only a 43.59% win percentage. Hey, they should have sold Gretzky Coyote jerseys even though he NEVER wore one....oh, they did...how did that work out?

LONG LIVE GMDM!!!!!!!

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Does anyone know if Korpikowski played center w the Rangers or in Juniors, even?
Do you listen to a lot of games on the radio, Scott? The reason I ask is because you always seem to spell player names as Tyson Nash pronounces them. "Korpikowski" rather than Korpikoski and "Upshaw" rather than Upshall.

I'm not trying to be the spelling police. God knows I'm as guilty as anyone else, I'm just curious if there is a tie to Nash in this.

Old
10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 869
So OEL made the Coyotes so far?!?!

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ryan Parent is on waivers. I'd prefer him to Schlemko in the reserve role.

Old
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffiTorres View Post
Yes he did.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Ryan Parent is on waivers. I'd prefer him to Schlemko in the reserve role.
Didn't that guy like, get broken in half two times in his career already?

I think he's an intriguing player though and always thought he'd be a steady Dman.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffiTorres View Post
Pretty sure he is sticking around for good, too.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2010, 09:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Didn't that guy like, get broken in half two times in his career already?

I think he's an intriguing player though and always thought he'd be a steady Dman.
If he breaks again, Schlemko will still be around.

Old
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I'm fine with Schlemko. If he sucks, DM will do something.