HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Sjostrom make the top 12?

Old
09-23-2010, 09:45 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
Earlier this summer, my answer was no, and it still is.

My question to you, have players like Brown/Rosehill, and Caputi won you over yet? ...

All summer i've said that Sjostrom should be our 13th guy... Brown given the 4th line wing, and Caputi/Mueller battling it out for the other LW spot... Caputi appears to be winning so far.

My Roster proposal is:
Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel
Caputi-Grabovski-Versteeg
MacArthur-Hanson-Armstrong
Brown-Mitchell-Orr
Sjostrom

with 8 defenders.

Will Sjostrom make the starting 12? If so, who should he replace? thoughts?

Edit: I know its still early... but it might be a neat topic

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
WhatASaveDave

kulemin - bozak - kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Versteeg
Caputi - Hanson - Armstrong
Sjostrom - Brown - Orr
Mitchell

Phaneuf - Beauchemin
Kaberle - Komisarek
Schenn - Gunnarsson

Giguere
Gustavsson

WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Median

It doesn't look like he will to me atm, Caputi/macarthur/armstrong/brown pretty much filled his spots.

As for the 13th spot, it's looking like Kadri is gonna knock Mitchell to 13.

Median is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Shaun_W_W

If it is true about Brown being able to play centre and Kadri ends up starting off in the Marlies this is the lineup I would go with.

Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel
Caputi - Grabovski - Versteeg
MacArthur - Hanson - Armstrong
Sjostrom - Brown - Orr
Mitchell(Perfect 13th forward because he can fit in any spot in a pinch)

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:02 PM
ComeAtMeBro*

Sjostrom is only a 76 in NHL11, I dont think it would be a good idea to have him up in the top 12.

ComeAtMeBro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:06 PM
RPeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro View Post
Sjostrom is only a 76 in NHL11, I dont think it would be a good idea to have him up in the top 12.
You know what else? Toskala was a pretty good goalie for me in NHL 10. Actually won the cup with him a few times.

RPeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:12 PM
My Sweet Shadow

This offseason, I had Sjostrom as a lock for that 3rd line LW spot, but with the addition of MacArthur and the play of Caputi so far, I'm beginning to question that.

Also, a 4th line of Sjostrom-Brown-Orr doesn't seem like a good idea to me. A line of Brown-Hanson/Mitchell-Orr just seems like it would have better chemistry and be more effective at it's role. There's going to be some interesting decisions for Wilson anyhow.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Buddio
CFC

Quote:

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:24 PM
ComeAtMeBro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
My point is that a 76 Overall is not of adequate talent to play any role other than maybe a 4th line role. If you expect to win the cup you SHOULD have all 80s in your top 12, 76 - 80 is quite a significance difference in skill. Versteeg, an 81 overall once scored 95 points for my team when I had to stick him on the first line LW role.

It is also debateable that a 76 Overall should not be placed in an NHL lineup AT ALL. I personally try to keep high 70s in the 4th line. A 76 should be in the AHL, and if doesnt have atleast "B" potential he should just be released.

ComeAtMeBro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
kulemin - bozak - kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Versteeg
Caputi - Hanson - Armstrong
Sjostrom - Brown - Orr
Mitchell

Phaneuf - Beauchemin
Kaberle - Komisarek
Schenn - Gunnarsson

Giguere
Gustavsson
You have the exact same roster I was gonna put out. I would however, prefer if Caputi or Armstrong played on the 2nd line instead of Macarthur. That guy has done zilch so far.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:34 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
Loving Hanson, and Caputi. These guys are doing some great checking.
I am glad I don't have to make up the lines becasue it will be a real puzzle that it so close.

Kulemin Bozak Kessel
MacArthur Grabovski Versteeg
Caputi Hanson Armstrong
Brown Stojstrom Orr

Just put Grabovski out there for faceoffs with the 4th line.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
leafsfuture

Kulemin -- Bozak -- Kessel
Macarthur -- Grabs -- Versteeg
Armstrong -- Hanson -- Caputi
Brown -- Mitch -- Orr
Sjoe

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:38 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
My point is that a 76 Overall is not of adequate talent to play any role other than maybe a 4th line role. If you expect to win the cup you SHOULD have all 80s in your top 12, 76 - 80 is quite a significance difference in skill. Versteeg, an 81 overall once scored 95 points for my team when I had to stick him on the first line LW role.

It is also debateable that a 76 Overall should not be placed in an NHL lineup AT ALL. I personally try to keep high 70s in the 4th line. A 76 should be in the AHL, and if doesnt have atleast "B" potential he should just be released.
Step away from the Xbox.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:

I cant tell if you're serious or not....judging players by what score they have in nhl 11?? Looking forward to face u in our hockey pool even more now.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Quote:
Exelby won the Norris Trophy in NHL 11....Whats your point?

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Jordan

Sjostrom will get 3rd line minutes with his PK duties, but he just doesn't have the offensive ability to play a regular 5-on-5 shift.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:46 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Don't underestimate Sjo. He was our best player on the pk last year and occasionally did it all by himself. He's either on the 3rd or 4th depends if he can keep up with our 3 line scoring theme. Mitchell will be our extra forward. Seeing as we won't be scoring many goals this year we need all the pkers we have. Done.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Quote:

I love how your comparing a video game to real life. Bozak was a 73 overall in NHL 10 and he was our 1st line center for the 2nd half of the season...?

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
If it is true about Brown being able to play centre and Kadri ends up starting off in the Marlies this is the lineup I would go with.

Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel
Caputi - Grabovski - Versteeg
MacArthur - Hanson - Armstrong
Sjostrom - Brown - Orr
Mitchell(Perfect 13th forward because he can fit in any spot in a pinch)
I agree with this.

A lot depends on Kadri. He looked awful with Versteeg and Armstrong but once he was shifted to a line with Mueller he was brilliant.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Collegedude84*

Ideally Burke likes his top 6 to be big, physical and defensively responsible in their own end. Sjostrom is neither big or physical, but he's solid in his own end. Right now theres a lot of competiton for the bottom 6: (Armstrong, Hanson, Mitchell, Brown, Orr,Mueller, Sjostrom) Thats 7 guys competing for 6 spots, one of these guys will be on the outside looking in. Armstrong has all the traits Burke is looking for in the bottom 6. Hanson has the size and defensive prowness to be a bottom 6 guy. Brown has the speed, tenancity, physical play, and defensive awarness to be a bottom 6 guy. Orr is big, he's arguably the most physical player on our team, isnt a liability in his own end. Mueller has the size and physical play to be a bottom 6'er but can he keep up with the play and can he be good in his own end? Jury's still out on that one. I look at this way it's going to come down to Mueller and Sjostrom for the final bottom 6 spot. Sjostrom is out til start of reg season, which gives Mueller the edge right now.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Ideally Burke likes his top 6 to be big, physical and defensively responsible in their own end. Sjostrom is neither big or physical, but he's solid in his own end. Right now theres a lot of competiton for the bottom 6: (Armstrong, Hanson, Mitchell, Brown, Orr,Mueller, Sjostrom) Thats 7 guys competing for 6 spots, one of these guys will be on the outside looking in. Armstrong has all the traits Burke is looking for in the bottom 6. Hanson has the size and defensive prowness to be a bottom 6 guy. Brown has the speed, tenancity, physical play, and defensive awarness to be a bottom 6 guy. Orr is big, he's arguably the most physical player on our team, isnt a liability in his own end. Mueller has the size and physical play to be a bottom 6'er but can he keep up with the play and can he be good in his own end? Jury's still out on that one. I look at this way it's going to come down to Mueller and Sjostrom for the final bottom 6 spot. Sjostrom is out til start of reg season, which gives Mueller the edge right now.
Who said that, Burke? I don't ever remember him saying that; try again.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Who said that, Burke? I don't ever remember him saying that; try again.
Take a look back at the team he built in anahiem, take a good long look at the bottom 6 and you'll see they were big/physical/defenisve oriented. Yes, Burke has said this is how he prefers his bottom 6.

Old
09-23-2010, 11:29 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Take a look back at the team he built in anahiem, take a good long look at the bottom 6 and you'll see they were big/physical/defenisve oriented. Yes, Burke has said this is how he prefers his bottom 6.

Burke has said time and time again, he prefers his top 6 to be talented players, and the bottom 6 pic and shovel type guys. Look it up, he has said that many many times. Not what you said at all. Now you are making reference to the bottom 6, which is not what I quoted you on. You made a comment about the top 6, to which Burke never said anything close to what you are claiming.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
[/B]

Burke has said time and time again, he prefers his top 6 to be talented players, and the bottom 6 pic and shovel type guys. Look it up, he has said that many many times. Not what you said at all. Now you are making reference to the bottom 6, which is not what I quoted you on. You made a comment about the top 6, to which Burke never said anything close to what you are claiming.
Sorry, I made a typo there, I should have put in bottom 6 (not top 6).

Old
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I suspect with injuries things will work themselves out. I really liked Shoey last year and think he brings a lot to the team.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote