HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

HF Sens Fall 2010 Prospects Rankings

Old
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
The writing in the article is quite good though, it seems the author either doesn't know enough about Petersson and Hoffman and Gryba, or he legitimately feels they should be where they are.

Odd though, until Petersson booms or bust, he's a nice candidate to be in the top 10.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Chris Roberts
Hockey's Future Staff

Just to clarify guys, I'm actually the Blue Jackets writer, and they needed someone to step up and take the Sens article. So yeah, my knowledge of the Sens prospects isn't what it would be for someone who would be covering the team. Apologies for any inaccurate info.

Chris Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Ishdul

As always these things are way too conservative. It's cognitive dissonance to suggest Karlsson or Cowen don't have the potential to be #1 defensemen.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:43 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roberts View Post
Just to clarify guys, I'm actually the Blue Jackets writer, and they needed someone to step up and take the Sens article. So yeah, my knowledge of the Sens prospects isn't what it would be for someone who would be covering the team. Apologies for any inaccurate info.
So my question is this. Why even write an article about the Senators' prospects if hf doesn't care enough to have someone that knows about team's prospects writing about them.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
petelevi

Quote:
I appreciate you coming in here, but if HF considers itself professional that's not much of an excuse. Do the research, or if you can't or won't, don't write the article.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
That's not good enough.....

Spez was right though, well-written. Thanks for filling in.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Quote:
They should have asked someone from our boards to apply. No offense but most of us likely have a far better handle on our prospects than you do.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Appreciate the explanation.

It's too bad Nathan White disappeared, he really seemed to want to make an effort up the quality of coverage and engage with the board.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Petersson out of the top 10 is madness. He destroyed the tourney in the SEL while on the 3rd line. What else do you want the kid to do?

It's amusing how Broken Tier believes he should be placed at 18th when he probably hasn't even watched him play before, besides the WJC where he was, uhhh, stellar?

All in all, Horrible list. As i said in the other thread, Lehner should be number 3 or even 2.

I could look at Lehner and say that he has number 1 potential or more. I can't really say that about Wiercioch or Rundblad yet.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:57 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
They should have asked someone from our boards to apply. No offense but most of us likely have a far better handle on our prospects than you do.
Unless your going to school for journalism HF does not care or want you.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Petersson out of the top 10 is madness. He destroyed the tourney in the SEL while on the 3rd line. What else do you want the kid to do?

It's amusing how Broken Tier believes he should be placed at 18th when he probably hasn't even watched him play before, besides the WJC where he was, uhhh, stellar?

All in all, Horrible list. As i said in the other thread, Lehner should be number 3 or even 2.

I could look at Lehner and say that he has number 1 potential or more. I can't really say that about Wiercioch or Rundblad yet.
Lehner is five with the same grade as Wiercioch and Rundblad

Seems like your complaining for the sake of complaining...

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Personally I would want him to dominate the SEL in the regular season the same way he dominated the tournament, unfortunately this hasn't been the case so far this year, far from it as a matter of fact.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I'm finishing up my degree and I'm thinking of taking journalism at Carleton in the near future, so maybe I'll apply if I decide to go that route... there always seems to be an opening.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Well I'm sure there are a few journalist students on the board who are very knowledgable

not an awful list in some ways, just a few prospects are absolutely incorrectly ranked.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Bobby Blowhard

With Roman Wick placed as high as he was I guarantee the author based a lot on what he has read here. Roman Wick hype makes me grind my teeth. The guy lacks so much of what it takes to be an NHLer it's nauseating. At camp he'll be cut before Jim Obrien and not necessarily because he's worse but because Clouston and Murray are going to want to see with what kind of attitude he responds before even wasting a spot in Bingo on him on a player who plays with as littler hunger as he does.

The list isnt bad though all and all. To name a few, I would adjust as follows...

Butler ^
Gryba ^
Smyth ^
Hoffman ^
Grant ^

Wick v
Wideman v
Daugavins v

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Hale The Villain

Petersson behind Sorensen is madness. One has proven to be an effective scorer in the SEL playing limited minutes and dominated the WJC while the other is a mystery and has proven nothing. Petersson should be in the top 10 at least, Sorensen shouldn't be in the top 20, yet.

Hoffman, Gryba and Smith should be higher. Wideman, Caporusso and O'Brien should be lower. Otherwise decent list, I'm not going to crucify the Blue Jackets writer for doing a favour to go out of his way to write our list

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Personally I would want him to dominate the SEL in the regular season the same way he dominated the tournament, unfortunately this hasn't been the case so far this year, far from it as a matter of fact.
Isn't he injured?

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:06 AM
IT

Don't think so. In 4 games he has 0 points and just 3 shots on goal. To his defence it's only the first line for his team that has been producing. Hopefully he will pick up the pace soon.

IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
That's pretty damn impressive then. Seriously, that's damn impressive for you to write that kind of in-depth thing about an organization's depth in prospects and have it be that close - when you write for another team completely!

Perhaps HF should get someone who's really familiar with the team, but if not, then with a little more research on some of the guys, you could totally do it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Why has Karlsson not graduated yet? He has played 60 NHL games already & quite likely will be in Ottawa all this year. I thought prospects had to play around 40 games to graduate. IMO Lehner should be the #1 prospect, he has been the best prospect at the development camp for the past two yrs & he keeps showing us that he is definately going to be the Sens goalie of the future. Yes, even ahead of Cowen, Wiercioch & Rundblad.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Xspyrit

Caporusso is maybe a bit too high. I've been high on Caporusso since the start but I'm not sure his style of play and size could succeed in the NHL. Unless his speed is enough to make him become a poor man's Cammalleri

What the heck with petersson at 18? lol this doesn’t make sense. He is our best forward prospect IMO. Of course, he has to adapt his game to the NHL and improve on certain things but he is a pure offensive weapon. He won't be there to be a 2-way forward... I wouldn't mind a young Slava Kozlov/Alexei Kovalev.

Wideman seems too high, should be near the 15th position. Decent prospect but there is better prospects (IMO) behind him on that list.

O’Brien might be too high as well, should be near the 20th position

Hoffman should be higher, near the 10th position

Maybe Culek is a bit too high for now (still raw, just got drafted)

Sorensen should not be there yet (too raw to judge for now) and O’Brien (or Cowick) out as well. Derek Grant and Ben Blood should be there. Greening and Borowiecki not too far behind, but I dunno who to pull out in their favour.

Other than that, it makes sense. Nothing shocking outside of Petersson at 18

Good job considering the situation Chris Roberts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Well you see, even though he lead the WJC in scoring along with Canadian hero Jordan Eberle, he's an Ottawa Senators forward prospect. Thus, he sucks.

Sad but true

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:59 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Why has Karlsson not graduated yet? He has played 60 NHL games already & quite likely will be in Ottawa all this year. I thought prospects had to play around 40 games to graduate. IMO Lehner should be the #1 prospect, he has been the best prospect at the development camp for the past two yrs & he keeps showing us that he is definately going to be the Sens goalie of the future. Yes, even ahead of Cowen, Wiercioch & Rundblad.
The cutoff is 65 games, not 40. Even if Karlsson has played 66 games he still qualifies as apparently they don't count playoff games.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
MoreGore

Given that the writer is new to the Sens, it should be expected that he would have some issues with placements.

Hoffman is a perfect example, slotting in at 19 for a 5th rounder only 1 year ago seems like a normal conclusion. Not really knowing how they have performed is the issue.

In reality, these articles are more for non-senator junkies (HF board junkies) to get a sense of the prospects.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote