HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Orpheum Theatre

Old
10-02-2010, 11:33 PM
RingWraith

vCash: 500
Orpheum Theatre

Hey all. So I will be visiting Vancouver soon to attend a pair of special shows put on by the VSO. The Lord of the Rings Symphony, and Play! A Video Game Symphony. I've never been to the Orpheum, so I'm looking for some advice as to where to get seats. I'm willing to pay the maximum amount, so should I be getting seats as close to the front as possible? Are the sight lines and acoustics just as good, or better from the upper balcony at a similar price?

Thanks for the input.

RingWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:34 AM
thefeebster

The first time i went to the Orpheum, i figured the dress circle row 3 [aka the first few rows of the upper balcony] would be decent, since it extends to about the 10th-12th row of the orchestra seats. But it wasn't and unlike the next few i went to, everyone decided to stand so it was harder to see.

The next time i went, i got front row Dress circle because the closest i could get in orchestra was like the 20th row. But still i sort of felt detached - I could see everyone/thing on stage including all the roadees but still a little far for my liking. However, these were all concerts mind you, not really a symphony so its a bit different.

The last time i went, i said screw it, and got 3rd row seats in the Orchestra. A much better decision. If another concert were there, i'd definitely only buy Orchestra, even if i pay a bit more on Craigslist or something.

I don't know about your show, but concert tickets didn't vary from orchestra to upper balcony, so really the closer the better if you are paying the same price. Sound wise, i thought it was consistent in the various areas that i sat. The only area i never sat at is upper balcony - and since i thought the dress circle was lacking, i don't think i would recommend the upper balcony.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:54 AM
donutz0r

My dad used to be the assistant principal cellist for the VSO before we moved to Texas, so I had the pleasure of going to the Orpheum pretty often. Always tried to go for the seats that were along the middle in order to get a balance of sound from both sides of the orchestra. Because of the theater's great acoustics, the balcony is also a great option as well, and sometimes the sound is even better from above (especially if a piano is being featured). I usually didn't like sitting in the very first row because it felt like some of the sound traveled "over" or "around" you, which is why I've always preferred sitting a few rows behind the very front.

tl;dr version:

1) Stay towards the center.
2) A few rows from the front is a good choice, especially since you're close to the action (unfortunately, you'll also be able to see the plethora of musicians that are actually "ghosting", and not playing )
3) The front of the balcony is fantastic.

donutz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Chobomin

Sounds like some great events. Can I get the links/info?

Chobomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Ken Jones

I went to a rock concert and sat in the 2nd row, and it wasn't great. Ideally, I would want to be sitting in the 10th row in the center section,

Ken Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappy View Post
Sounds like some great events. Can I get the links/info?
Here is the link and many thanks to the original poster and the advice from other posters. I am going to have four very happy children!

http://www.vancouversymphony.ca/co_c...tcode=10SPEC07

Tleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Chobomin

Thanks for the link. Monday night might be a bit tricky but I'll try to make it

Chobomin is offline   Reply With Quote