HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo groin strain

Old
09-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
So now the excuses are starting ahead of time... somehow the same defense wasn't an excuse for Luongo last year. Schneider needs to be better. Period.
Easy. There were some awfully soft goals, but there shouldn't be an excuse for giving a 2 on 1 either. I am no apologist for either goalie, but there was a problem with our defense as much as Schneider himself.

And if I recall, defense was an excuse over the course of the season, largely due to injuries, Bieksa, slowness, age, etc, etc, etc.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:59 AM
hackytorque

vCash: 500
I got bored reading the previous post's so sorry if this has been stated. When loungo originally tore his groin I was at my girlfriends uncle's house. He is a doctor and was actually the doctor for the canucks in Either the late 70's or 80's. After he found out it was a torn groin he said "Well i'l tell you one thing, he will never be quite the same again." I still think that loungo is one of the best goalies in the league, but after hearing a long explanation about groin injuries, im not surprised about another groin injury. He said that the flexibility and strength is just never the same. He said the canucks doctors obviously new this before the giant contract. It will be interesting to see how it pan's out.

hackytorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackytorque View Post
I got bored reading the previous post's so sorry if this has been stated. When loungo originally tore his groin I was at my girlfriends uncle's house. He is a doctor and was actually the doctor for the canucks in Either the late 70's or 80's. After he found out it was a torn groin he said "Well i'l tell you one thing, he will never be quite the same again." I still think that loungo is one of the best goalies in the league, but after hearing a long explanation about groin injuries, im not surprised about another groin injury. He said that the flexibility and strength is just never the same. He said the canucks doctors obviously new this before the giant contract. It will be interesting to see how it pan's out.
The problem is that it wasn't a tear, it was an adductor strain... I didn't want to start using personal experiences, but as somebody who had hip problems earlier (and had countless strains) — this is a) not related to that, b) obviously not nearly as serious as an actual tear.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:29 AM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackytorque View Post
Read.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Daoust
chip?

Alberts was flopping all over Schneider's crease tonight too. Lack might just get his chance to play in the NHL.

Daoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:45 AM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust View Post
Alberts was flopping all over Schneider's crease tonight too. Lack might just get his chance to play in the NHL.
I honestly believe that is plan B.

Since I think about stuff, I know stuff can happen.

If a theoretical player played for an imaginary team with fictional owners and suffered a career threatening injury that leaves him unable to play well, the fictional owners could sign the theoretical player to a massive contract knowing thier insurance company would be on the hook for the settlement. The player then returns to "make a run for the cup". There's your Mcguffin.

Forced to retire, the theoretical player can now invest in risky business ventures with the fictional owners. There's your premise. Add a player in a similar situation who didn't get to participate, that might be carrying a grudge and there's your tension.

All that's needed is a young slacker/sportswriter (who is married to a beautiful, supportive wife, who is a movie star) doing investigating and there is your movie.

Last edited by JuniorNelson: 09-29-2010 at 04:52 AM.
JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Jason Botchford
Roberto Luongo back on the ice today in San Jose
Hopefully it has never felt better!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Karl Hungus

I really don't think people should be too hard on Schneider for the 8 goal blowout in Edmonton. That was a shoddy lineup the Canucks dressed in front of Schneider. Like the one that was dressed last night in San Jose but with a much, much worse blue line.

The coaches seem to dressing Schneider and Lack one night with a really depleted roster and then giving them another shot with a much stronger lineup in front of them. It's like their being setup for a bad night just so the coaching staff can see how they bounce back.

Last night when Ferraro said that "the wheels have started to come off for Lack, " I thought that it was a pretty unfair comment. The Sharks had their starting lineup dressed, minus Marleau, while all our best forwards and Edler sat in the press box. I have a feeling that Lack will see some time in the next game against the Ducks with a much stronger roster dressed.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:05 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Great news. We're all pulling for him.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
I believe Tommy Boy Larscheid telephoned in with that report.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Proto

Luongo will sit out the final pre-season game. So he's played less this pre-season than any before. I'm expecting quite the October

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Luongo will sit out the final pre-season game. So he's played less this pre-season than any before. I'm expecting quite the October
The articles I've read say that he will decide after this morning's practice... unless they already had practice, I'm assuming it's still up in the air.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...472/story.html

(TL;DR: Groin feels fine now, had practice, has to consider the risks vs the benefits and make a decision based on that.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 10-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old
10-01-2010, 09:36 AM
NuxFan09

I really hope Luongo does suit up for tonight's game. Not that it would be too, too detrimental if he didn't but I imagine he himself would like to get one more game in before the week off.

That said, if the groin is still bothering him then it would be much better if he sat out and let it heal. This team really needs a top-form Luongo this year.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Dana Murzyn

Maybe it's a blessing that Luongo won't play any more games until the regular season. It's not like his normal pre-season routine leads to great starts anyway, so might as well shake it up.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Maybe it's a blessing that Luongo won't play any more games until the regular season. It's not like his normal pre-season routine leads to great starts anyway, so might as well shake it up.
Well, I'd rather him sit out tonight as well. As the article above stated, it's not like he's going to gain momentum heading into the season given that they don't play for another eight days.

Winning the Cup in October is an unlikely occurrence.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Dado

vCash:
So I guess the groin strain was/is "for real"?

Anyway, hope he gets better soon.

And hope Schneider finds a little consistency.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Anyone else getting tired of issues revolving around Luongo?

Made a captain - controversy

2009 playoffs - choke - controversy

2009/10 season - injuries - inconsistency - getting pulled more than an Asian guy at a massage parlour

2010 playoffs - inconsistent - controversy

Summer 2010 - contract controversy

Summer 2010 - captaincy - more controversy - gives up captaincy

September 2010 - season hasn't even started yet and he's already injured.

I'd love to have way fewer things to talk about regarding this guy.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The articles I've read say that he will decide after this morning's practice... unless they already had practice, I'm assuming it's still up in the air.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...472/story.html

(TL;DR: Groin feels fine now, had practice, has to consider the risks vs the benefits and make a decision based on that.)
That's possible. I saw the announcement on Sportscentre and they didn't add any qualification to it.

I hope he starts the year well. The Canucks won't miss the playoffs in October, but they could seriously damage their chances at home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs. I'd like to see a hot start from Luongo for once. No more of the excuses about what a slow starter he is every time he has three days in a row off. I hope that's one of the things Melanson is working on.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:29 PM
hackey

Luongo has been nursing that groin ever since he hurt it nearly 3 years ago in Pittsburgh
and arguably he hasn't played that great since

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:31 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

TL;DR

Luongo is my fantasy starter.

Am I ****ed?

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Clutchy View Post
TL;DR

Luongo is my fantasy starter.

Am I ****ed?
No. (10 characters...)

Old
10-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Moe Szyslak
Sears catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Luongo has been nursing that groin ever since he hurt it nearly 3 years ago in Pittsburgh
I hope he proves you wrong. But I'm afraid you might be right.....

Moe Szyslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Daryl

Thank god Bobby Ryan agitated it,otherwise Alberts would have been solely blamed.Hopefully Luongo is fine now.

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Kagee*

We never had these problems/injuries when Twist was our conditioning trainer, MG has to get him back, make him a offer he can't refuse.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Anyone else getting tired of issues revolving around Luongo?...
[long list of examples]
Not to mention the stretch drive meltdown controversy in 2007/08; the poor starts to every season including his play following long layoffs; and the Olympics ('OMG, he's shaky") that we had to deal with. There certainly has been a lot of issues regarding Luongo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I'd love to have way fewer things to talk about regarding this guy.
Ditto. But I have feeling that isn't going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Luongo has been nursing that groin ever since he hurt it nearly 3 2 years ago in Pittsburgh
He's still been pretty good though, just not nearly as good as before.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote