HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Brodeur, Andre Benoit

Old
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Laoghaire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mianjo View Post
Here is a complete list of players placed on waivers on Monday:

Mike Angelidis (TB), Chris Durno (TB), Mitchell Fritz (TB), Blair Jones (TB), Vladimir Mihalik (TB), Juraj Simek (TB), Paul Szczechura (TB), Trevor Smith (AN), Dane Byers (NYR), Kris Newbury (NYR), Jeremy Williams (NYR), Darryl Boyce (TOR), Joey Crabb (TOR), Ryan Hamilton (TOR), Alex Foster (TOR), Ryan Hollweg (PHX), Alexandre Picard (PHX), Garrett Stafford (PHX), Nolan Yonkman (PHX), Matt Climie (PHX), Al Montoya (PHX), Patrick Davis (NJ), Stephen Gionta (NJ), Olivier Magnan-Grenier (NJ) Bradley Mills (NJ), Tim Sestito (NJ), Chad Wiseman (NJ), Mike McKenna (NJ), Brian Willsie (WSH), Kyle Greentree (WSH), Andreas Thuresson (NSH), Teemu Laakso (NSH), TJ Hensick (STL), Brad Moran (EDM), Gregory Stewart (EDM), Hugh Jessiman (CHI), Tyler Weiman (VAN), Triston Grant (FLA), Gord Baldwin (CGY), William Thomas (FLA), Andre Benoit (OTT), Mike Brodeur (OTT), Cliche, Marc-Andre Cliche (LA), Thomas Jordan Trevelyan (SJ), Jay Leach (SJ), Sean Sullivan (SJ), Jon Disalvatore (MIN), Robbie Earl (MIN), Petr Kalus (MIN), Warren Peters (MIN)

The deadline for teams putting in a claim on a waived player is Monday, Noon ET. Should a player clear waivers, his team has the option of assigning him to its American Hockey League affiliate and freeing up salary.
Vladimir Mihalik wouldn't be a bad pick-up.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:43 PM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

So I saw that Andre Benoit was listed to play tomorrow's game, now that he's on waivers who takes his spot? Or does he still play if he clears? I hoping Cowen takes his spot..

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Larionov

vCash: 50
On the subject of goalies on waivers, did Al Montoya ever go from prospect to suspect in a hurry. He was considered to be a "goalie of the future" not too many years ago.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
So I saw that Andre Benoit was listed to play tomorrow's game, now that he's on waivers who takes his spot? Or does he still play if he clears? I hoping Cowen takes his spot..
Just because they are on waivers does not make them "not eligible" to play in the NHL. They can clear waivers and still play in the NHL. All it means is that if they clear they can be sent down without clearing waivers again. Lots of players are put on waivers at the trade deadline and never go anywhere. The team could be testing the trade market for that player or they could be preparing to clear space just in case they acquire a player. At this time of year though, it's usually to send a player down.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
The following players have to clear waivers to be assigned to Bingo:

Mike Brodeur
Andre Benoit
Corey Locke
David Hale
Ryan Keller
Derek Smith
Francis Lessard
Cody Bass

I beleive that covers everybody.
errr, do you have a source or anything?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
On the subject of goalies on waivers, did Al Montoya ever go from prospect to suspect in a hurry. He was considered to be a "goalie of the future" not too many years ago.
Yeah, he was stuck in Hartford for the longest time before the Rangers traded him to Phoenix. It would of been tough for him to crack a spot on the Rangers with Lundqvist at helm.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Look at post #25. Look up Locke's, Keller's and Bass' respective ages and number of NHL games played by each. Then look at post #25 again. That should answer your question.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Mihalek on waivers? I'd take him

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:54 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Mike Brodeur, Andre Benoit

Sens Chirp

http://www.senschirp.ca/

Not sure why we're waving either one of them. Brodeur showed good game last season, Benoit's been decent in the preseason

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Leaf fan coming in peace, just wondering why they waived Brodeur!? I really liked the guy and what he showed last year, I really want to see more of what he's capable of. Hopefully he gets a shot somewhere else.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
danishh

both need to clear waivers in order to reach bingo.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Sens Chirp

Not sure why we're waving either one of them. Brodeur showed good game last season, Benoit's been decent in the preseason
Benoit is a little surprising, specially since he was listed as playing tomorrow night against Buffalo. http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.ht...d=DL|OTT|home/

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
i'll be the source on that, i calculated everyone's waiver eligibility a while back. Pretty sure locke needs to as well.

iirc, Locke and Brodeur are the only guys that will earn enough money in the AHL to be exempt from recall waivers though.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Sens Chirp

It's like you didn't even read the rest of this thread.

It sounds like a bunch of fans need to bone up on what "waivers" means. As a hint, in the preseason, it is almost certainly a precursor to a team having to send a player to the minors. The vast majority of "veterans" (or anyone not currently on their ELC anymore) need to clear waivers before being assigned to their AHL team.

Additionally, 99% of the guys being put on waivers this time of the year go unclaimed because most teams have their rosters set and aren't interested in bringing some other team's minor league player on the squad and guaranteeing them an NHL job.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
It's like you didn't even read the rest of this thread.

It sounds like a bunch of fans need to bone up on what "waivers" means. As a hint, in the preseason, it is almost certainly a precursor to a team having to send a player to the minors. The vast majority of "veterans" (or anyone not currently on their ELC anymore) need to clear waivers before being assigned to their AHL team.

Additionally, 99% of the guys being put on waivers this time of the year go unclaimed because most teams have their rosters set and aren't interested in bringing some other team's minor league player on the squad and guaranteeing them an NHL job.
You're right but I think ppl that aren't familiar w/ the whole waiver issue is perhaps the timing of Redden getting waived that's caused some confusion..

The system works exactly the same in both cases but in Redden's case he was let go to an extent of not coming back, where as these other moves are players sent down to minors as planned but contract's play in the way, so goes the scenario of confusion imo..

Very rarely does a player get picked up before the season begins via waivers, but it has happened..wasn't it Steve Martins, as well as another d-man few yrs back??

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:14 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
The following players have to clear waivers to be assigned to Bingo:

Mike Brodeur
Andre Benoit
Corey Locke
David Hale
Ryan Keller
Derek Smith
Francis Lessard
Cody Bass

I beleive that covers everybody.
What about Tim Spencer or is he signed to an AHL contract?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
You're right but I think ppl that aren't familiar w/ the whole waiver issue is perhaps the timing of Redden getting waived that's caused some confusion..

The system works exactly the same in both cases but in Redden's case he was let go to an extent of not coming back, where as these other moves are players sent down to minors as planned but contract's play in the way, so goes the scenario of confusion imo..

Very rarely does a player get picked up before the season begins via waivers, but it has happened..wasn't it Steve Martins, as well as another d-man few yrs back??
Well, in regards to Redden, he was put on waivers for the exact same purpose as Brodeur and Benoit: to go to the AHL. Waivers do not release a player. If another team doesn't claim the player, the player is still under contract to his team. They just might be able to move him to their AHL team. The contract remains though.

Old
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
trentmccleary

Damnit, now Mike Leighton is hurt. Who's going to Lehner's back-up when the Flyer's claim Brodeur to be their starting goalie?

OK, maybe an Ottawa fan shouldn't be making fun of anyone elses goaltending situation. I'll probably be sreaming for Brodeur come mid-Nov.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
What about Tim Spencer or is he signed to an AHL contract?
He's on an AHL contract so I would assume he would not have to clear waivers but I'm not 100% certain.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Well, in regards to Redden, he was put on waivers for the exact same purpose as Brodeur and Benoit: to go to the AHL. Waivers do not release a player. If another team doesn't claim the player, the player is still under contract to his team. They just might be able to move him to their AHL team. The contract remains though.
You know what I mean, no sense in being cynical..

Old
09-27-2010, 10:48 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Damnit, now Mike Leighton is hurt. Who's going to Lehner's back-up when the Flyer's claim Brodeur to be their starting goalie?

OK, maybe an Ottawa fan shouldn't be making fun of anyone elses goaltending situation. I'll probably be sreaming for Brodeur come mid-Nov.
To answer your faceteous question seriously, Barry Brust is actually going to be a good option should Brodeur or Lehner falter in Bingo. He's an established AHL goalie who's played more games than Brodeur has at the NHL level.

Old
09-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Also, a fun fact to know..if Redden agrees to report to Hartford, he will make $81,250 /game, in the AHL!!

Old
09-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Also, a fun fact to know..if Redden agrees to report to Hartford, he will make $81,250 /game, in the AHL!!
Dipeitro made $750,000 per game over the last 2 years lol

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote