HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Top 25 Oilers Prospects

Old
09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Good work on the list. I may not agree with the position of every player at each rank (is that even possible? ) but overall you've explained your rationale behind each ranking and it's solid.

I can see that these projections are longer term which is why you have players like Pitlick above Eberle and Lander above Omark now. Fair enough if you are looking far enough ahead.

I personally have trouble accurately ranking guys like Marincin, Martindale, Bunz and even Pitlick without seeing them play more at the CHL/AHL level. After this next season we should have a better idea where these types of players stand.

My gut feel is that Roy probably will be deserving of a top 5 spot on the Oilers prospect list and Vande Velde will also be just outside the top 5.

This is my list of the very top tier Oiler prospects... the ones that have the highest chances of being stars... or at least very solid contributors that will stick on an NHL roster (whether with the Oilers or another club)

Hall
Eberle
MP
Omark
Roy
Petry
Vande Velde

A tier down are several others like Pitlick, Lander & Hartikainen that I'm not quite as certain of but they'll also likely stick on NHL rosters eventually... again I'm just not quite as definite on them as the top tier.

The rest of the prospect pool has some good potential but I think it will take 1-2 years to get a good idea of whether they join these top tiers or not.

Anyway you cut it it's a pretty deep and impressive group of prospects... even if only a few pan out and reach their full potential.
Thanks, that said I simply don't see Vande Velde as having a higher upside than a number of guys, IMO he's a pretty safe bet to eventually be an NHL bottom 6 guy and a damn good one at that, but a guy like Pitlick projects to be better and Martindale has the tools but just needs a lot of time. VV is a full 5 years older than Martindale. Martindale may just stagnate but I do my polls based on potential, what a player would be if it all comes together for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Swap VandeVelde(13th) with Marincin (6)

VV > Hartikainen and Plante > Marincin
VV could end up better than Hartikainen and Plante conceivably, but I really think that Marincin will surprise a lot of people when he starts filling out his frame and gets to play a year or two of WHL hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
Linus Omark
Some AHL seasoning could be in the cards, however unlike in the past it would be my hope that if Omark tears it up in OKC that he gets the call to come back up for a stint.

If this is an implied reference to Sugartits not getting the chance to play on the big club, there was no "tearing up" of the AHL and very little progression in the weak aspects of his game. I'm probably going to get some demerits for the "Rob Schremp Hockey" reference but he always seemed to think the team should adapt to him, not the other way around.
Partially, Schremp was an AHL allstar and didn't get a sniff. As far as I can see this team rarely rewarded guys that had great seasons in the AHL under MacT. Potulny would be another guy that didn't get rewarded a couple of years ago. Deslauriers wasn't rewarded in his last full year in the AHL. IMO you need to reward the guys that are working hard and producing down at the AHL level that are still seen as NHL prospects to keep them hungry, that's always been my opinion and that won't change this year if Vande Velde, Petry, Hartikainen, etc. play well. Play well for us and be our best player you can come up and stay with the big club and collect some big club coin for a bit while gaining confidence knowing that you're almost there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not sure how you can have Peckham and Chorney on this list and not include Jacques, Dubnyk and Deslauriers. Their body of work in the NHL is all very similar, most of it due to massive injuries suffered by others. IMO, all these players are in the same boat.
Well for one thing JDD was drafted in '02, Jacques in '03, and Dubnyk in '04. Chorney in '05 (next year he'll be where they're at if he hasn't earned a spot), and Peckham was in '06 IIRC. Peckham has a couple more years to go before he reaches that mark. O'Marra also has this year before he's off the list. Vande Velde is a first year rookie pro so he gets a pass at this point.

09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
CupofOil

Pretty good list Bryan but i differ on a few things.....
I think that Roy should be a lot higher on the list, he's very accomplished in the Q and is a good bet to be the starter for Canada at the next WJC at such a young age, i think that he will be shooting up everybody's list by this time next year.

I actually agree with your Pitlick over Eberle idea, i personally value physical players with an all around game as opposed to the more skilled guys (obviously me being a Brule fan) and i think that he will be more of what this team needs in the future, i think that we need a Kesler type a whole lot more than we need a Cammalleri type but i do love Eberle, i just see a lot of upside in Pitlick, hopefully we can get a better idea of how much he has progressed in the dub this year.

I would take also take Omark over Marincin for now because Marincin is extremely raw developmentwise (moreso than a prospect like Pitlick) while Omark is more advanced in his development by having played against men for a while now but otherwise, good list.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
So you're expecting him to be 210 - 220? I don't see how that's neccesary.

EDIT - Jeez, I thought he was 180.. more sites have him listed 200 already. You're crazy if you think he needs 30-40 pounds more.
The oilers site has Eberle listed at 6'0, enough said

I'm not crazy for thinking he needs to add 30 pounds - just my assessment having watched him live once and on tv a couple times. He looks skinny and can't impose his physical will on anyone

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:26 PM
OilNAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Jeff Petry has had an excellent camp, but I think this board has overrated him. He needs to put on 30-40 pounds (no joke). That's not easy to do
Jeff Petry weighed in at 196 during physical testing at camp. If he were to add 30-40 pounds, he would be a refrigerator and lose his mobility. He is not going to be an overly physical player, he is a fast skater and a puck mover. I would say he needs 10-15 at most.

OilNAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilNAmerica View Post
Jeff Petry weighed in at 196 during physical testing at camp. If he were to add 30-40 pounds, he would be a refrigerator and lose his mobility. He is not going to be an overly physical player, he is a fast skater and a puck mover. I would say he needs 10-15 at most.
215-220lbs. without sacrificing his speed/mobility would be great for Jeff. That said if he hasn't gotten to 200lbs. at this point a more realistic number might be 210lbs.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
The oilers site has Eberle listed at 6'0, enough said

I'm not crazy for thinking he needs to add 30 pounds - just my assessment having watched him live once and on tv a couple times. He looks skinny and can't impose his physical will on anyone
Wasn't even looking at the Oilers website TBH. hockeydb and Wiki have him listed at 200.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote