HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #5: Flyers @ Devils - Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
I couldn't possibly imagine being so "meh" about a new season coming off of a SCF appearance.

It all started with Leighton being our number 1, now it's really into meh overdrive with Boosh playing regularly.

What a ****ing joke.

At least we have awesome jerseys again.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
So does Bob get the go tomorrow?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
So does Bob get the go tomorrow?
Most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Backlund dressed. Could be the reasoning Boucher went the distance tonight.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Guerin doesn't really have much of a legacy to tarnish.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Backlund dressed. Could be the reasoning Boucher went the distance tonight.
Sweet signature, MSE.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Sweet signature, MSE.
It'll come down before the eventual doom. It's a, extremely rare feat the last few years.

Old
09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
He's hasn't been one of those all-timers or stay-with-one-team guy where he goes somewhere else to try and screw it up.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:57 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
It'll come down before the eventual doom. It's a, extremely rare feat the last few years.
What would Pete Rose do?

Old
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
What would Pete Rose do?
Call GKJ for a pick in the sixth.

Old
09-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
He's hasn't been one of those all-timers or stay-with-one-team guy where he goes somewhere else to try and screw it up.
Hes been one of the better power forwards over the last 15 years, and he always has seemed to be well respected by people in hockey. I think you're selling him short.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal
...A cut on his elbow? That's an odd thing to take a player out for. Must of been a big ****ing cut.

The kicker is that Holmgren will sign him anyway. Bulging disc, arm missing, dead ... doesn't matter to Fearless Leader.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:56 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Call GKJ for a pick in the sixth.
Lol, true statement.

Old
09-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Hes been one of the better power forwards over the last 15 years, and he always has seemed to be well respected by people in hockey. I think you're selling him short.
Philly will be his 9th team and, outside of a few year stretch, he's never really been all that dominant. He was very good but never great and he certainly not the generational talent that can remain at a high level at his age. I'm aware that potting 20 goals in the NHL is nothing to sneeze at but he's a shadow of his former self and has been propped up by some of the best players in the world. He's just no longer someone that you'd want on a quality team moving forward.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...ights_game_in/

Quote:
The Devils insisted that defensman Bryce Salvador was “fine” though did not play the final two and half periods of tonight’s 3-2 preseason win over the Flyers.

Salvador was hit hard by James van Riemsdyk early in the game and briefly left the bench. He returned later and played one shift and then left again and did not return.

“He played that one shift and then we took him out,” Devils coach John MacLean said. “As far as I know right now, he’s fine.”

MacLean was asked if Salvador had his bell rung.

“I’m not sure,” he said. “I didn’t get into the medical part of it. They told me he’s fine.”

MacLean said he saw the van Riemsdyk’s hit on Salvador.

“It happens just to the left of me,” he said. “I think he just got hit from the side there.”

Salvador’s injury left the Devils with only five defensemen, which meant heavy minutes for all of them, particularly Anton Volchenkov (22:57) and rookies Alex Urbom (21:59) and Matt Taormina (20:40).

Old
09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

I come in peace!

Good game tonight by both teams. Really went down to the wire. Im excited to see wins this race between you guys, the Devs and the Pens. Good luck to you guys!

OOOOIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:11 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Zherdev motivated by money???? I thought it was his love of the game?

If he has a good season we can kiss him goodbye.
Z knows his value. If a team pays him what he believes he's worth he'll sign. I'm a Ranger fan (Z is my favorite NHL player on account of his skillz - and I love skilled players), but they tried to make him the second coming of Callahan. They wanted him going to park himself in front of the net and they wanted him to be a shot blocker (aka a gritty N.A: player). He's none of those things. What he is is a skilled and creative player that plays better with a good surrounding cast. He co-led the Rangers in scoring and was 2nd in +/- and they still put the hate on him.

I for one will be watching a ton of Flyer games as most of my Fantasy teams have at least 3 Flyers (Z is on every team). I fell so dirty Just kidding.

Good luck to you guys. don't be surprised by a 60-70 point season.

And yes, he will be innefective at times, but there are only a handful of players that do not fall into this category.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:49 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Z knows his value. If a team pays him what he believes he's worth he'll sign. I'm a Ranger fan (Z is my favorite NHL player on account of his skillz - and I love skilled players), but they tried to make him the second coming of Callahan. They wanted him going to park himself in front of the net and they wanted him to be a shot blocker (aka a gritty N.A: player). He's none of those things. What he is is a skilled and creative player that plays better with a good surrounding cast. He co-led the Rangers in scoring and was 2nd in +/- and they still put the hate on him.

I for one will be watching a ton of Flyer games as most of my Fantasy teams have at least 3 Flyers (Z is on every team). I fell so dirty Just kidding.

Good luck to you guys. don't be surprised by a 60-70 point season.

And yes, he will be innefective at times, but there are only a handful of players that do not fall into this category.
I expect nothing less than 60 points.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Thing is, I believe Z will bring us something that we have not had in a seriously long time. Not since the time of forsberg.

Someone exciting to watch on the ice. His end to end rush goals are the best goals I have seem in the NHL. He has the ability to dangle past 5 players on the ice, and more importantly, keep the puck away from the opposition. I believe he is going to be worth his weight in gold with a minute or two left on the clock with a lead. Much like giroux in the playoffs

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:31 AM
SkerZ
LGR

Dist get a chance to catch your guys game..how did zherdev look

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
Dist get a chance to catch your guys game..how did zherdev look
Dangerous.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
1263 NHL Games.
400+ goals
400+ assists

2 World Cup appearances
3 Olympic appearances

4x All Star

Can't seem to find easy access to the list of American born goal-scorers, but he'd have to be way up there.

To suggest he doesn't have a legacy is ridiculous.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Philly will be his 9th team and, outside of a few year stretch, he's never really been all that dominant. He was very good but never great and he certainly not the generational talent that can remain at a high level at his age. I'm aware that potting 20 goals in the NHL is nothing to sneeze at but he's a shadow of his former self and has been propped up by some of the best players in the world. He's just no longer someone that you'd want on a quality team moving forward.
Well, but he was responding to GKJs claim that Guerin doesn't have a strong legacy in the NHL... which is, to put it bluntly, BS.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
CptCannon

Missed the game. Video recap available anywhere?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Well, he isn't.

I'm well aware that, for whatever bat**** insane reason the Flyers have been pimping Guerin and pumping him up (yet are forcing him to tryout for some odd reason), but the fact remains that he doesn't have a contract yet and he's looked like **** all pre-season long. We have a full roster and, although I have no faith in our GM to make the right decision, no one has come out with any real praise of him.

I'm very aware of the situation and scared that they might sign him, but I'm also aware that he isn't signed yet.
Seems like the coach is aware of what Guerin brings....http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...92810/45/30437

There is a very different tone in assessing Bill Guerin's chances of making the Flyers, depending on whether head coach Peter Laviolette or general manager Paul Holmgren is speaking.

Laviolette said, ""Everybody knows what Billy Guerin does and what he can bring. It's just a matter of managing the (roster) spot."

It doesn't take too much reading between the lines to see that Laviolette couldn't care less what the veteran does in the preseason -- he wants the player on his team if there's a roster spot available.

It also doesn't take too much reading between the lines that Paul Holmgren favors giving a young player -- Ben Holmstrom, Mike Testwuide or Andreas Nodl -- every chance the roster spot that has been opened by Laperriere's injury. Holmgren has characterized Guerin's play so far as just "OK", said it's "admirable" that Guerin came to camp on a tryout and said the evaluation "process" is continuing while at the same time talking up the performance of some of the young players.

I don't think the head coach and GM are at odds over this enough to squawk if the other were to vehemently tell the other in private that he or does not want to commit to Guerin. This isn't a test of wills. However, I definitely think there's a difference of opinion that is only being hidden by the thinnest of smokescreens.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Thing is, I believe Z will bring us something that we have not had in a seriously long time. Not since the time of forsberg.

Someone exciting to watch on the ice. His end to end rush goals are the best goals I have seem in the NHL. He has the ability to dangle past 5 players on the ice, and more importantly, keep the puck away from the opposition. I believe he is going to be worth his weight in gold with a minute or two left on the clock with a lead. Much like giroux in the playoffs
So long as he does not focus on the flash and dash and concentrates on not overextending his shifts or not getting back on defense I am good because he is a shooter. I would not really compare him to Forsberg, probably more of Gagne in his prime in his ability to be a sniper/scorer. Forsberg was unique in that he was more like Giroux but found a way to score nice goals too, Giroux has yet to do that routinely, although his on ice vision is much like Forsberg.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote