HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

Old
06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

The Score was reporting Olli Jokinen has not been contacted by Jets brass for a new contract as of yet.

Do we offer him a 2 year deal @ $3 to 3.5 million for a comeback tour? If you can believe this, he's only missed playing 19 NHL games since coming to Florida in 2000-01. Career high 39 goals/91 point season for us in 06-07.

He can still produce, 18g/43pts this season with the Peg. Brings some leadership, can fill 3C if Shore faulters, would bring some skill to a 4C role if needed. Hayes - Jokinen - Upshall would be interesting to watch. Size, skill and some grit.

Thoughts?

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:28 AM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
3-3.5 million for a fourth line center.

We have:
Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, Pirri, Trocheck, who all can play center in the NHL. Now, I'll assume that one or two of the last three players listed, one will play on the wing.

I'm not opposed to having veteran forwards on this team, however, I don't see the need of spending 3-3.5 million for a bottom six center, when it's not a huge need. We need to dump that money on scoring wingers and defense.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:35 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
3-3.5 million for a fourth line center.

We have:
Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, Pirri, Trocheck, who all can play center in the NHL. Now, I'll assume that one or two of the last three players listed, one will play on the wing.

I'm not opposed to having veteran forwards on this team, however, I don't see the need of spending 3-3.5 million for a bottom six center, when it's not a huge need. We need to dump that money on scoring wingers and defense.
I see your point. Ya my thinking was Trocheck starts year in SA, Pirri converts to wing, Shore and Jokinen battle for 3C. Not a stretch to say if Bjugs stumbles a bit, Jokinen can still possibly play 2C if absolutely needed. You have to remember, Jovo and Upshall free up $7.5 million end of next year.

Old
06-13-2014, 08:43 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

OJ (or more like his ego) isn't going to settle for 3C.

I'm guessing he'll take a discount with Chicago and replace Handzus as their 2C.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:44 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
I see your point. Ya my thinking was Trocheck starts year in SA, Pirri converts to wing, Shore and Jokinen battle for 3C. Not a stretch to say if Bjugs stumbles a bit, Jokinen can still possibly play 2C if absolutely needed. You have to remember, Jovo and Upshall free up $7.5 million end of next year.
I see yours as well.

It's not a bad idea to have at least veteran center when the current center core is full of guys still on their ELCs.

If it was a 1-2 year deal, sure.

I think the main issue some will see with this is not because it's a veteran center, it's because it's OJ.

Old
06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Absolutely, 1-2 year deal, he'll easily take 1C position.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Montsy14

Speaking of Finns and UFAs...Leo Komarov anyone? Would love this guy in the bottom 6. I also assume he'll be good to have around for Barkov.

Imagine Bergenheim - Shore/Trocheck - Komarov? This line would create fits for opponents.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 09:00 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Speaking of Finns and UFAs...Leo Komarov anyone? Would love this guy in the bottom 6. I also assume he'll be good to have around for Barkov.

Imagine Bergenheim - Shore/Trocheck - Komarov? This line would create fits for opponents.
If they can somehow dump Kopecky and or Upshall, sure.

Old
06-13-2014, 09:01 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post

We have enough bottom6 forwards as it is already.

Also, Komarov needs a good supporting cast in the form of 2 enforcers. We can't be be sure if the team even has one next year, let alone two.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 09:10 AM
RainingRats

He doesn't really fit in our lineup and direction we're going. We need to spend money on winger and d-men.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 09:24 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Absolutely, 1-2 year deal, he'll easily take 1C position.

JOL
You're that confident he would skate his way right back into 1C? I don't see it but it would push Barkov to compete at a higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

I'm guessing he'll take a discount with Chicago and replace Handzus as their 2C.
Ya I could see that happen but I also don't just because it'll depend on how much #88 and #19 collect on July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
He doesn't really fit in our lineup and direction we're going. We need to spend money on winger and d-men.
Figured competition between Bjugstad, Jokinen and Shore would be good. Tallon also stated he wanted 5 veterans so I assume a player per position.

1 - veteran C
2 - top line sniper RW/LW
3 - top 6 winger LW/RW
4 - top line D
5 - top 6 D

As much as I don't want Ellis as our backup, I see Tallon drafting our future #1 goalie at next year's draft in Florida.

Old
06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Crossbar

Big guy with a big shot at the point, finished this season with decent numbers and can actually stay healthy. He didn't do well with us playing wing, but there aren't a whole lot of attractive free agent forwards if Gaborik and Vanek re-sign with their clubs.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:26 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

I too believe he's Chicago bound. What no one is mentioning here is that he's nearing the end of his career (36 soon) and has played almost 1200 games with a grand total of 6 playoff games. He probably wants to go to a winner at this point in his career.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Dr Beinfest

We have so many centers that it is sad to have to see so many guys not make the team or play out of their natural position.

Great problem to have, but I'd rather take $3 million that you want to spend on Olli and make it some overpaid contract for some NHL-able defenders. Or maybe a winger or two.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:56 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

No way I even consider bringing back that bozo. Especially since he has become a shell of his former productive self. I've moved on, I suggest the rest of you do the same.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:18 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'd have to think about it, but for 1-2 years, I'd maybe consider it for a 4th line Center as he still is putting up respectable numbers. I think it depends on who makes the team out of camp or gets sent to San Antonio.

I really would not be surprised if he was brought back here though to increase fan interest as most casual fans know who he is. He also calls South Florida home during the off-season.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:22 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Again, 36, 6 playoff games, he's going to waste the last part of his career here? He has enough money, he probably wants to win.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Juggernaut27

He would have led the cats in points, tied for second in helpers and second in goals. Jets had a pretty screwy year as well and any game I watched Jokinen was one of the bright spots. And Still wears an 'A' for them.

I guess we can't say without training camp but I'd be shocked if he wasn't 2C, or 3C if Bark/bjugstad are just flying out of the gate.

I love the idea of Bark/Jugs/Trotchek/Shore down the middle but I can't see having a couple years of a reliable, veteran leader who has ties to the organization and is the same nationality of our top-prospect being anything but good.

Even if we have to overpay a bit. As long as its just a year or two I'd be a fan.

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Nope.

06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
FrolikFan67

for 1-2yrs at an affordable price? i wouldnt mind it. i wouldnt mind having a vet on the 3rd line. barkov-bjugstad-pirri-shore as our 4 centers would be a lot of youth down the middle. bergenheim will probably be on the 3rd so those 2 finns would be together. Bergenheim-Jokinen-Boyes as a 3rd line wouldnt be bad at all. its worth considering if short term.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Why? Spend the money on a winger or Jovo's replacement.

Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Big Bjugs
Amat victoria curam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
No way I even consider bringing back that bozo. Especially since he has become a shell of his former productive self. I've moved on, I suggest the rest of you do the same.
This.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:45 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
He could have been useful over the past couple years, but at this point I don't see the sense in bringing him back.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Juggernaut27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFame View Post
This.
Yeah. Leading our entire team in offense sounds awful. I see your well argued points and concede to them.

At least say you don't like his hair or something.

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Big Bjugs
Amat victoria curam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut27 View Post
Yeah. Leading our entire team in offense sounds awful. I see your well argued points and concede to them.

At least say you don't like his hair or something.
I would gladly take the 91pt Jokinen 8 years ago(and his hair cut). But I'm inclined to see how Barkov and Bjugstad do in that spot. I'd prefer a scoring winger.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote