HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Was the goal in?

View Poll Results: Was the goal in?
Yes just look at the video. 144 35.73%
No. Khabby kicked it out. 34 8.44%
Inconclusive 161 39.95%
It was kicked in. 27 6.70%
Games over now so it don't matter 29 7.20%
NHL has a conspiracy againt a canadian team winning 8 1.99%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 10:13 PM
HFXMooseHabs

vCash: 500
Well it doesn't matter now, the series is over but here's my two cents anyways.

I don't understand how anyone can say the puck didn't cross the line. Hockey Night in Canada showed it perfectly, zoomed in and highlighted, that puck was across the line.

As for if it was kicked in, Gelinas had to stop to avoid hitting the goalie. No kicking motion at all. It was a lucky bounce that it hit his skate.

NHL dropped the ball again.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:25 PM
incawg

wow...get over it and quit whining. That goal was no more "in" than Keane's goal was "in" against the Flames in game 7 of round 1. So one goes Calgary's way and one goes against them. That's how it goes. The better team won the stanley cup and Tampa deserves full credit.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:29 PM
littleHossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by =CH=

I don't understand how anyone can say the puck didn't cross the line. Hockey Night in Canada showed it perfectly, zoomed in and highlighted, that puck was across the line.

As for if it was kicked in, Gelinas had to stop to avoid hitting the goalie. No kicking motion at all. It was a lucky bounce that it hit his skate.

Again pictures can lie, your avatar is the picture, rotate that net in your head and you'll see the puck isn't over the red line. And hurray Tampa won!! No whining needed anymore

Old
06-07-2004, 10:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

So Sutter, Iginla and Gelinas are just trying to be the bigger men? Or was their concession that it was NOT a goal...a computer-generated scheme by the United States to once again bilk Canada of the cup?

Old
06-07-2004, 10:30 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Good god, how many times do the words, "possibilities for optical illusion" have to be said for people to understand just what the **** it is?

I moved for this to be locked before Game 7, I now second my own motion.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:41 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
So Sutter, Iginla and Gelinas are just trying to be the bigger men?
In my opinion, Yes, they were trying to be bigger men. If I were them I'd do the same. You don't need that sick feeling of knowing you should have won going into Game 7.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:47 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Good god, how many times do the words, "possibilities for optical illusion" have to be said for people to understand just what the **** it is?

I moved for this to be locked before Game 7, I now second my own motion.
A thread should be locked because I gave my opinion??? In MY opinion, the puck was in. If you think otherwise, fine.

BTW, I don't believe in this optical illusion nonsense. If I see another angle of it that proves I'm wrong, I will admit it, no problem at all.

And you guys who disagree with me sound like YOU'RE whining.

That's it for me. Obviously a sensitive issue.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
A thread should be locked because I gave my opinion??? In MY opinion, the puck was in. If you think otherwise, fine.

BTW, I don't believe in this optical illusion nonsense. If I see another angle of it that proves I'm wrong, I will admit it, no problem at all.

And you guys who disagree with me sound like YOU'RE whining.

That's it for me. Obviously a sensitive issue.
what you're failing to understand is that a goal CANNOT be awarded if it looks like it MIGHT be a goal. even in your avatar...i'll say this:

if the puck is flat on the ice...it's a goal.

if it's in the air...it's probably not a goal.

It could be a goal!

but it also could NOT be a goal! Do you see my reasoning? If there's reasonable doubt, you cannot award a goal under those circumstances, and overwhelmingly...there is more than reasonable doubt.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I don't care about "what if" scenarios, and neither does the NHL. That's not what this is about. This is about what did happen.

Since there was no goal called on the play, there must be 100% conclusive video evidence that the puck completely crossed the line for a goal to be awarded.

It is black and white. If there is no sufficient evidence, a goal cannot be awarded. And since on the only angle showing the puck has even the slightest possibility of optical illusion, it cannot be considered as sufficient evidence.

It is that simple.

Game 7 starts in half an hour.

I move for this thread to be closed as it is now irrelevant.
So what you are saying is that this camera angle cannot ever be used? Or just when in your opinion it cannot be used? When exactly does it become credible to use this camera angle, position, lense characteristics etc. My point is that that would be a judgement call. I doubt that the rules describe exactly how much evidence is sufficient for all cases.

Not black and white. Certainly not in this case.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
what you're failing to understand is that a goal CANNOT be awarded if it looks like it MIGHT be a goal. even in your avatar...i'll say this:

It could be a goal!

but it also could NOT be a goal! Do you see my reasoning? If there's reasonable doubt, you cannot award a goal under those circumstances, and overwhelmingly...there is more than reasonable doubt.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

It could be a goal!

This makes sense where reasonable doubt is left to the video judge's discretion, perhaps in consultation with the referee/s.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i left this thread open for the sake of the poll, but with the series over, only one thread to discuss the goal\no goal controversy is necessary(if that.)

Closed Thread