HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild at Blue Jackets 9/28 7PM EDT "Need to learn how to win" Edition

Old
09-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Happy Pony

vCash: 500
Ended up not seeing any of this one.

Any place to see highlights?

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:02 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Jackets stole that game. Filatov has some sick hands. Awesome ****.
Filatov was the star of the game for me. Fun to watch skate.

Like the way they bounced back from 2 down.

Defense still questionable... looked a little flat-footed (gassed?) much of the first two periods. Maybe because they aren't used to playing with each other.

Commodore gets the second star:
After being denied on a shot from between the circles, defenseman Mike Commodore admitted he dislodged the Wild net in overtime to avoid a 3-on-1 rush the other direction

Last edited by JACKETfan: 09-29-2010 at 06:13 AM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

I was at the game last night, and while I don't have time to read through this thread, here are a few random comments...

Kubalik looks good. Great hockey sense in that he knows both how to get open, how to find the man open, and he's not afraid to stand in front of the net. He is a little slow on his feet (especially noticeable compared to Vermette and Juice) but he makes up for it with his anticipation. He'll probably get sent down but it makes you wonder about a 4th line with Calvert and Kubalik...

I was impressed with Commie. He looked strong out there and wasn't afraid to join the rush. He made a couple bad passes but I thought he was our most noticeable defensemen. I think I'm now finally officially off the Souray for Commodore bandwagon. (How about for Clark and Klesla, though? )

Klesla...not so much. Looked slow and tentative. Unsure what to do when he had the puck.

Moore had a good first period and seemed to pair well with Commiee, but then kind of disappeared.

Filatov had a great game. That was a wicked power play - we played with 4 low and only Stralman back on the point. Filatov was also going in the corners without hesitation. Future looks bright...

Moreau had some good shifts but Clark looks slow, unfortunately. I'd really like Clark to do well but he needs to find his game.

Both goalies looked really solid and kept us in the game during a brutal 2nd period by the CBJ.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I would sent Kubalik to Springfield. Yes, he is good but:
1. it is only pre-season games and for example when he shootet hatt-rick, he played with Vermette and Huselius and played against not such good players (except Goligoski)
2. he would play PP and SH plus a important parts of game in Springfield here probably not
3. if he will play good more games in SF, than take him here (see Mayorov, he played very good last pre-season games and than he had problems a part of season in Syracuse)
It is more important for us to have from Tomáš more complete player.
I agree. If he can become the player he's looked to be in this preseason, he's just the kind of player I'd love to see skating on the third line. Some experience at Springfield should set him up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Defense still questionable... looked a little flat-footed (gassed?) much of the first two periods. Maybe because they aren't used to playing with each other.
Just plain slow I think.

Old
09-29-2010, 07:38 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The view from 118:

Filatov - his goal in the last seconds of the second period really energized him. Before that, I was disappointed in his play. After, he was electric. Shootout goal was crisp and efficient.

Commie - looked good, like he belonged in the up-tempo system.

Moore, Holden, Goloubef - all three looked like NHL defensemen. Not ready, yet, but I think they might be able to help this season.

Juice - played his game and played it well. Yeah, wish he'd shoot more, but he still is a big contributor. His shootout goal was pretty, BUT, it caught pipe and was fractions away from missing!

Vermette - a smidge off, all night. He had a pretty pass from the corner that was not converted out front and he botched a similar beauty from Juice.

Moreau - yes
Clark - no

Sestito & Blunden - can't fight, don't contribute, won't stick.

Kubalik - has a chance to be good. I'd like to see more from him.

Wilson - might be the fourth-line center we need. He didn't look out of place centering Nikki and Kolarik on the second line. Last night, he looked better than Murray.

All in all, not a bad performance. Without Nash, Voracek, Brassard, and Umberger, I didn't think they'd have enough offense to come back from 2 down. Didn't give them much chance in the shootout, either, without those guys and with a minor leaguer in net vs. NHL skaters and a strong goalie. Fooled me! LeNeveu played very well and will be very solid in Springfield. After watching McCheesy get lit up, last week, it was a relief to see a competent performance in net from our goalie depth. No problem, at all, with Garon - he's a fine backup and a more than adequate fill-in for Mason.

I'm really looking forward to these next two games. Arniel is planning to go with the eventual line up and I'm anxious to see them come together. Still quite a way to go to be a legitimate contender, but I remain encouraged by what I've seen, so far.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Roadman
Moving On

In keeping with the thread theme...

... thought they demonstrated they are "learning to win".

Not all the way there yet, but making progress.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I agree. If he can become the player he's looked to be in this preseason, he's just the kind of player I'd love to see skating on the third line. Some experience at Springfield should set him up nicely.
If he keeps up his play, there's a big part of me that wants to see him take his act to the big stage sooner rather than later. There's something to be said for maintaining momentum. Can always send him down when/if he shows signs of really not being ready. But, there's always the chance he shows he belongs.

Still, I go back and forth on whether or not to be conservative with young players. Probably because each player is different, and we/I don't know them well enough to say who can handle what (psychologically, and so forth).

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Good stuff from Tom Reed at PuckRakers:

Stralman, who added two assists, supplied the R-rated sound byte of the night:

"I didn’t think he'd hit it from that angle. He’s one of those snipers. He can hit it from (expletive) everywhere.”

It's the kind of shot almost nobody else on the roster can bury. It's the kind of momentum-altering play that Filatov can deliver. We haven't seen a one-timer that wicked in Nationwide since Sergei Fedorov beat J.S. Giguere on opening night in 2007.

“He can hit those one timers pretty good," coach Scott Arniel said."I was complaining to (assistant) Bob (Boughner) that he was drifting deeper and deeper into the corner. He had the perfect angle and it was a heck of a shot and a good fake by Anton (Stralman) too. It’s a great shot.”

Filatov said they had practiced similar power-play shots Tuesday morning.

"If I had been higher in the slot it would have been easier to put in," Filatov said. "Still, it was a pretty good pass and I made a pretty good shot."

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
If he keeps up his play, there's a big part of me that wants to see him take his act to the big stage sooner rather than later. There's something to be said for maintaining momentum. Can always send him down when/if he shows signs of really not being ready. But, there's always the chance he shows he belongs.

Still, I go back and forth on whether or not to be conservative with young players. Probably because each player is different, and we/I don't know them well enough to say who can handle what (psychologically, and so forth).
Yep on everything.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I was there too.

Filatov looked very good. Had some trouble carrying the puck in the neutral zone, but had good passes and a sick shot.

Kubalik looked good. Probably needs some experience down in the AHL but he certainly deserves a chance.

Commodore was good defensively.

Moore, in my opinion, did not look good. He is especially weak in his own zone and only carried the puck in through the neutral zone a few times. He needs to get better defensively as he relies almost solely on his stick to strip the puck and was beaten more than he stopped the play. Goloubef was slightly better as was Holden. All 3 looked serviceable but not stellar.

Stralman looked great. Nice passing, was pretty big in his own end, and had 2 assists.

Kolarik looked alright, but he will obviously be sent down sooner or later.

Moreau played hard. Clark did too until the 3rd when he looked like he was out of energy.

Murray needs to win more faceoffs if he wants to be the 4th line center.

Blunden and Sestito did what they were told, although were commonly out of position after missing big hits. Blunden gave Zidlicky a charlie horse.

Garon and Leneveu looked good. Garon will eventually get injured if he has to constantly play like he did. Too many desperation saves where he almost gets bowled over or stretches as far as he can.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:02 AM
blahblah

Nice comeback. Perfect example of why we need a competitive Filatov. He can carry the team like Nash can.

Now, what I am hoping to see is people like Wilson or a Kubalik beat out a Murray or Clark and maybe force Howson to shake up the roster a bit with releasing a guy like Clark. Nothing like a sacrificial goat to shake things up a bit and keep people on their toes and looking behind them... :p

But if they don't force the decision, then it's obviously pointless.

Thank goodness the season is about to start.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

the kids on defense just need to get some seasoning down in SF...i liked what i saw from holden, cody, and moore...but as mentioned above, they just aren't ready for the NHL yet...however, i still wish we could find a way to get burns from minny...that guy is just a brute...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Just my opinion...
- Filatov has made the team
- Moore has not yet
- Kubalik may not make the team, but he adds something to the squad we definitely need.
- Clark, Boll, Blunden and Murray are the guys most in danger of not sticking on the roster

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Dutchman1350

Kubalik will be one of the 1st call ups during the season...He is a trash man in front of the net, we desperately need.

Filatov - While the goal was simply amazing. The most impressive thing for me was in the 3rd period the Wild had a 3 on 2 rush, and Filatov back-checked, and created a turnover.

Commie - Tons of ice time, and active. Nice to see him back. He even tried to fight, but Koivu (I think) wanted no part.

Dutchman1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Just my opinion...
- Filatov has made the team
- Moore has not yet
- Kubalik may not make the team, but he adds something to the squad we definitely need.
- Clark, Boll, Blunden and Murray are the guys most in danger of not sticking on the roster
I second.... I've been a Murray fan and wish the TV viewing was better. I'd like to see what many are seeing in Wilson..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
aRussian

Ok game last night, didn't look that great for most of the time because we had more "big bodies" than "skill guys".

Impressions that stood out:

Kubalik- Looked alright for stretches, didn't dazzle or anything but he goes to the net.

Filatov- I was like "!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when I saw him check a guy off the puck and also when he came back on a wild rush and got in front of the puck carrier to slow him and allow our defender to get back in the play. Sweet shot too

Wilson- Just wasn't doing it for me tonight, lost the puck a lot in the zone

Kolarik- Had only brief moments of looking like an NHLer. Otherwise pretty unspectacular with puckhandling and getting the puck back.

Moreau- I wasn't impressed by picking him up, but if he puts that kind of effort into his game then I'll quickly change my mind. Certainly better than Clark. Had an excellent shift where he kept having the puck hit his stick when the Wild were trying to make pass plays.

Murray- Looks like he is certainly trying to earn that spot in the lineup. Was pretty good this game (with 4th liner expectations anyway). Looked quicker than last year

Clark- Please dump him. He was almost invisible except for the part where he couldn't handle passes or do much so it was like having a black hole on the ice. And not the Hejda black hole either.

Sestitio- Had very few moments. Not NHL material though imo.

Guite- Effort is there, he looked like the best player on the 4th line. Pretty good defensively, I'd say he would be on a shortlist of callups if he doesn't make the roster

Blunden- I don't know if he'll survive the system change

Klesla- He can make little plays pretty well although I'm still doubtful about him carrying the puck up the ice

Goloubef- I'd put him above Moore on the callup list to be honest.

Holden- Decent, aside from checking he isn't really all that great at anything. He's ok with everything else but not great.

Stralman- Well, I was happy to see that setup to Nikki and he looked calmer when the other team was pressing him against the blue line. (didn't make a knee-jerk play just to attempt to keep the puck in) Better control although I wasn't paying much attention to whether or not he was taking the puck up the ice.

Moore- Honestly, he made some alright plays but he makes a lot of tiny errors that don't seem to end up in the back of the net. He lost the puck in our zone several times when he was starting up the ice and was directed towards the boards. Also lost the puck behind the net when checked several times. I think another year of seasoning will do...

Commie- I'll be honest, I may be out of it or something but he was the defender that I noticed the most when we had a D carrying it up the ice Overall pretty good. Great composure but you would expect that out of an NHLer.

Garon: Kept us in the game when the D had big holes
LeNeveu: Didn't have to stop some of the Garon shots but pretty decent. Almost had a pretty bad screwup but he stopped the puck. Directed shots to the corner as you would expect a goalie too so I'd say he's pretty good for the falcons

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:47 AM
wahsnairb

i love going to all these games and then coming home to read what some of you see because i swear we watch different hockey games

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
WALLY

Different people watch different things... I use to keep my eyes glued to the puck, but I'm learning to watch more areas of the ice to see what people are doing when not actively involved in a play.

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
i love going to all these games and then coming home to read what some of you see because i swear we watch different hockey games
We love reading what you have to say but you haven't said anything!

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
5StringBuzz

So if you have a guy like Clark, who was brought in for his leadership, but he's not able to play at a level that justifies his presence in the locker room, how does he assert any leadership, especially if the other players realize their chances would be better with someone else (whoever that is) that's toiling away in Springfield?

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote