HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What would be YOUR draft Strategy for the Oil?

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
What would be YOUR draft Strategy for the Oil?

Stole this from the Bruin board, but it's June so what the heck.

Here are the questions?

1. Would you trade up? If so, how far, and what would you offer?

2. If the Oilers stay at 14, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Tukonen, Barker, Thelen, Ladd, Schwarz, Schremp, Radulov, Picard, Stafford, Smid).

3. Would you try to trade the Philly pick to move up from say #25? If so, what would you offer?

4. If the Oilers pick at 25, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Wolski, Montoya, Chipchura, Meszaros, Korpikoski, Lisin, Bolland, Green, Valabik, Dubnyk, O'Neill).

5. Who do you like for their third round pick?

6. What is your definition of bpa?

Old
06-06-2004, 01:54 PM
MrMackey

To me, its the highest odds of becoming an impact player. An impact player would be a player that is among the best in the league at his particular role, whether it be offensive leader, team captain, defensive forwaard, offensive defenseman, goaltender.

Depth on a team in a particular role, coaching style of the drafting team and the expected development time of a player decrease the odds of becoming an impact player.

I don't know enough about the players that will be available then. David Booth maybe. Petr Pohl... ??

4. If the Oilers pick at 25, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Wolski, Montoya, Chipchura, Meszaros, Korpikoski, Lisin, Bolland, Green, Valabik, Dubnyk, O'Neill).

Blake Wheeler

3. Would you try to trade the Philly pick to move up from say #25? If so, what would you offer?

I'd maybe try to move up a few spots (say 18-22) just to offer up Chimera, Isbister or Rita and solve some problems on the wing.

2. If the Oilers stay at 14, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Tukonen, Barker, Thelen, Ladd, Schwarz, Schremp, Radulov, Picard, Stafford, Smid).

Chipchura, because he's the BPA left IMO. Although I'd love to see Montoya go in the top 14 and see one of Picard, Stafford, Radulov, or Schremp squeek through).

Only if someone would take Smith and the 14th to get in to the top 8. Otherwise no, because I like most of what we've got right now and feel it would be a step back to trade some of our top players. I only throw Smith out there because he is so close to UFA and coming off such a great season which will bode well for him in arbitration. With the way he plays, I feel the probability of him repeating or exceeding this past season without injury is slim.

Old
06-06-2004, 02:03 PM
elphy101

Yes, I would try for the 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th pick. I would offer up the 14th and some combo of Isbister or Rita or Chimera or Salmo. Basically, one or even two of the Oilers good young players.

I think the Oilers need to draft Schremp.

Gotta be Al Montoya unfortunately. I'd probably try and trade down. Mike Green would be of interest too, maybe Wolski.

Ideally I would offer up again one of the Oilers good young players in Rita, Salmo, Chimera or Isbister to move in the late teens.

Draft Bolland.

Sindel would be of interest imo.

No idea

I think you make a list before the draft. You pick the person at the top of the list when it's your turn. Don't take position into account unless it's goaltender.

Old
06-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Yes, I would look to deal up, but only a couple spots. I would only look to deal up if it looked like Radulov, Schremp, Picard and Stafford would all be gone before our pick. I would offer one of our depth forwards/prospects to get the deal done. I wouldn't move our other first or even our second.

Quote:
Montoya, if the Oil's staff is really high on him. If not, Chipchura. It would be a very disappointing day for me if that scenario were to unfold.
Quote:
Again, I would offer another depth forward/prospect to move a couple more spots, but only if KP really liked a guy he knew wouldn't make it to #25.
Quote:
Well, that very much depends on our first pick. If we took Montoya, I'd be looking at a forward like Kaspar, Sindel or Wheeler at #25. If we took Chipchura at #14, I might look a little more closely at Fransson or even Schneider.
Quote:
Looking back at past Oiler drafts, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000041.html, I'd say that are most likely to see our first defenseman called with our second or third round pick. I'd guess a good puck-moving defenseman like a Yandle, Anderson, Lewis, etc. IMO, our current crop of excellent two-way defenseman prospects allows us to make a riskier pick on a offensive defenseman.
Quote:
I would say that my definition of bpa is a little more cautious than Mr. Mackey's or the Oilers for that matter.

Mine would probably be a mix between top-end potential and likeliness of reaching the NHL.

Old
06-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Seachd

Trade up? Yeah, as much as needed to get the player they want.

For the first round: Montoya/Wolski/Green - whoever they like better.

Philly's pick? Hmm... I like Fransson. There'll probably be a lot of good options here.

3rd rounder? I've been reading up on R.J. Anderson, and I wouldn't be against taking him then. Yandle didn't opt in, I believe.

Old
06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725

Unless it's into the Top 6, no I wouldn't. I just see one guy who'll slip to us at 14 who would be worth our while. Theres a good 6 or 7 really close guys that I'd love to have. (Unless they knew Schremp was going to go at 12 or 13 and they could get him at 11th or around there.)

Either Mike Green or Wojtek Wolski.

Maybe if someone like Bolland or Green was still around at around the 20th pick.

Shneider or (edit) Fransson

No clue.

The playeer the org. sees as the most talented one left.

Last edited by Sethis: 06-06-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old
06-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
3rd rounder? I've been reading up on R.J. Anderson, and I wouldn't be against taking him then. Yandle didn't opt in, I believe.
Yeah, you're right....

I just noticed that on McKeen's....

Old
06-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Sure I would be looking at anything from #3-#11 - we have so many poker chips (players, prospects, picks) and this draft is seen as weak so teams will be more likely to deal

Quote:
2. If the Oilers stay at 14, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Tukonen, Barker, Thelen, Ladd, Schwarz, Schremp, Radulov, Picard, Stafford, Smid)?
I would auction Montoya to the highest bidder because a number of teams want him

Quote:
Sure - the usual suspects like Chimera or a 3rd round pick - not much more though

Quote:
Fransson

Old
06-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Blue Bullet

Only if you could move into the 3-5 spot and get one of Barker, Tukonen or Olesz.

Well other than Smid (who I have ranked 15th) those guys are all in my top 13. It would have to be either Montoya who I rank 12th or Meszaros who I have at 14th. Still not sold on taking a goalie with our 1st pick though. However I think Montoya will go before the Oilers pick. Therefore I choose Meszaros.

I don't think I would move up. The draft has a good top 40 guys but there is not a huge difference between guys ranked from 20 to 40.

Either Fransson or Nokelainen

David Shantz if he's still there because I think he will turn out better than Dubnyk or Viktor Alexandrov who is very underrated or Oscar Hedman. I think these 3 guys are all good enough to go in the 1st round.

For me best player available is based on skill level and the likeliness of the player being able to reach it. Like Kaspar has more skill than Chipchura in my opinion but Chipchura has a better chance of being a good pro player so he gets ranked higher.

Old
06-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Stole this from the Bruin board, but it's June so what the heck.

Here are the questions?

1) I would trade up if we could get one of Schremp or radulov sure but other than those 2 I wouldn't be willing to part with a core player to move up than the 3-5 spots we would need to move up to to get one of them. Probably something like is Rita and the 14th to get the 9-10 or so.

2) i would draft montoya if he were there. He would the best player availabe and he is long enough away from playing in the nhl that teh goalie depth would actually help us. Otherwise i really like the sound of AJ thelan.

3) i see enough other good players in spots10-14 that i would offer Isbister a 2nd and the 25th for a 10-13 pick. My goal would be to end up with 2 of Schremp, radulov stafford or picard.

4) If we didn't draft a goalie at 14 then dubnyk. I really think you may have montoya underrated if you think he will be there at 25 though.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Nic

1. Would you trade up? If so, how far, and what would you offer? I probably would not trade up, since this isn't the greatest draft year. I would consider Isbister or Smith plus our 14th pick for a top 5 pick, but thats about it.

2. If the Oilers stay at 14, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Tukonen, Barker, Thelen, Ladd, Schwarz, Schremp, Radulov, Picard, Stafford, Smid). Montoya will definately be drafted before our pick, but if he falls to 14, I would take him. In reality I would love to draft Meszaros, Wolski or Dubnyk, in that order.

3. Would you try to trade the Philly pick to move up from say #25? If so, what would you offer? No.

4. If the Oilers pick at 25, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take? (Wolski, Montoya, Chipchura, Meszaros, Korpikoski, Lisin, Bolland, Green, Valabik, Dubnyk, O'Neill). One of Nokelainen, Sindel or Voloshenko, listed in order of preference

5. Who do you like for their third round pick? I have no idea

6. What is your definition of bpa?[/QUOTE] The player with the highest potential. It is not overly important if the player isn't ready for the NHL yet.....

Old
06-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
This is MY opinion and no one elses so don't read to much into this, the team is still holed up at Kevin lowe's place until Friday so my replies should not be taken as a report from the Oilers. (I'm talkin' to you LT )

Because I want a non-Russian scorer, I would try to trade up only if I got the sense that Schremp, Picard, Ladd or Olesz won't slip down to me at 14.

At that point, the hope for the scoring forward is gone so I either explore trading down and adding another pick or I roll the dice and take a chance on someone like Korpikoski, Zajac or Bolland.

My trade bait on draft day is Isbister or Rita but I'm not sure if I bother trying to move up much.

Travis Zajac.

Julien Sprunger!!! (lol, that's an inside joke between me and McCarthy.) I honestly do like him, saw him at the Viking Cup in Camrose and he was named one of the tournament All-Stars... but he's Swiss so I won't hold my breath on the Oilers taking him

Long term contribution to the team. I think. Haven't putmuch thought into this answer so i might come back to it later.

Old
06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
speeds

I would definitely try. As for what I would offer, who knows, depends what the other team is after. Anyone who isn't a core guy is always available, IMO, if the value is right.

Personally, I'd take Meszaros, and might consider any of Chipchura, Korpikoski, Bolland, Lisin, and perhaps Zajac if I feel an overwhelming need to take a forward. Depending on my scouting report on Montoya I consider him as well at this point (even though I'd said I wouldn't want to earlier this year, LOL)

same story as before at 14

Zajac, Alexandrov, Lyamin, Pineault

I'll go a bit further:

2nd round - a couple guys I like are Krejci, Meidl and Sawada, but it's so dependant on availability that it's tough to begin to guess

3rd round - Sersen, Statsny, Aiello, Psurny,Scurko, Balan

Combination of upside and % chance of making it. I personally lean more towards the upside end than the safe end, but that's because I'd rather have 5 busts and 1 star than 3 busts and 3 3rd liners, as a very rough example

Old
06-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
I´m trying to describe as good as i can with my limited english

I´d trade up if there´s a chance to trade up. I´d like to see the Oilers move up to pick 6-9, although i know that the asking price from other teams might be high. I´d offer Rita to get a pick at about 6-9.

Chipchura would be my choice, cause he´s a solid pick and i think that he is able to show more than he did this season. He´s a guy who´s willing to to everything to reach his own and the teams aim.

It would be superb to get a 2nd pick in the Top 20, but i would not offer more than Rita + Pickswitch to move up (maybe a lesser known prospect - something like Joukov...i´m not oo happy with him playing in Russia).

Blake Wheeler or Travis Zajac.
Both are reaches, but both look like diamonds in the rough.

I do like Nick Johnson a lot and i´d love to get the Oilers a hand on him.
In the later rounds i´d like to see the Oilers take a flyer on Christoph Ullmann and Markus Kink (both german boys) - hopefully they´re able to get Ullmann. This guy is going to do whatever he is able to do and is asked to do to get the maximum effort - like Dennis Seidenberg.
I do see them a lot and i prayed for the Oilers to pick Seidenberg.....hopefully they free up a pick for Ullmann (maybe Guy is able to drop some of the scouts a line to have a look at that boy).

The player that has the best chance to be an impact player at the NHL-Level, but i wouldn´t concentrate on potential alone.
My version of bpa would be the willingness to reach his maximum potential + maximum potential - so i´m going the more safe route here. I wouldn´t go out and just pick 3rd liners, but if a guy has potential 100 and a will of 50, then i´d choose the guy with potential 90 and will 100 instead of him, cause the chance of getting a good player is higher (IMO).

Old
06-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Slats432

I don't know what would be out there. It is too tough to speculate what Washington or Pittsburgh ore anyone else for that matter could want for their pick. I would have to agree that if I thought all of Picard, Ladd, Radulov, Schremp and Olesz are gone, it would be worth it to make a move with the likely suspects like Rita and Isbister.

Wojtech Wolski would be my selection.

Can you say Devan Dubnyk?

Bruce Graham

Don't want to guess who is going to drop but some names I like are Haskins, Comeau, and Painchaud.(I don't think he will drop to 74 but if Andy Rogers is there, I would be delighted.)

My definition of BPA is the best player available based on team structure and organizational need. Last year the Oilers drafted size over skill because of team structure and organizational need. All things considered equal a player of 6'0 and over would be the selection. I agree with them in that respect. If you have 9 NHL ready defensemen and no one to put the biscuit in the basket, a sniper over defenseman unless the defenseman is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Case in point for this year. The Oilers do not have an organizational need for another strong blueliner prospect but if Thelen or Barker by some cosmic design fall to 14th then you have to take the blueliner.

Best player available with tiebreakers being the organizational need.

Old
06-07-2004, 05:29 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

If its in the top 5 and we're not overpaying, then I'd do it. If not, I'd rather stay put unless we're unloading some spare parts to move up one or two spots.

Wolski, cause it seems like there are some decent d-men in the 2nd-3rd round, and a couple of decent goaltenders with the Philly pick/2nd round.

There are actually some decent players in the lower 1st round region. Unless we can package it with our own pick to move into the top 5, I'd stay put.

Sindel, Zajac, Salmonsson, Schneider

Jordan Smith
Karel Hromas
Jeff Schultz
Sergei Shirokov
Kyle Wharton

The player who has the best chance of becoming an impact player for the team. Not just have an NHL career on the 4th line, but to actually have some sort of value to the team.

Old
06-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Lowetide

There was a time when I would have suggested the 14th plus Jason Smith to move up into the top 10, but now I believe someone pretty darn good will be available at 14. I wouldn't try to move up this year.

Korpikoski. I would have picked Chipchura and been happy about it, but this guy really stepped forward late. It's a risk that it might be a flase step forward, but no guts no glory.

If someone like St. Louis wanted to trade down in order to improve their (terrible) forward depth, I'd offer up any of Isbister, Rita or Chimera.

David Shantz

I meant second round. I like Blake Wheeler, Nokelainen, Soderberg if he falls.
Third round? Ellis if there's no goalie taken yet, Lammers, Tesliuk.

The player with the greatest skill/speed package. Size is important, but you have to be able to play the game.

Old
06-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
This is MY opinion and no one elses so don't read to much into this, the team is still holed up at Kevin lowe's place until Friday so my replies should not be taken as a report from the Oilers. (I'm talkin' to you LT )
WHat? WHAT?

btw, if you take every second letter of Guy's post, then REVERSE it, THEN unscramble the numbers, it says Oilers take Korpikoski and Dubnyk in the first round.

Nice try, Guy, but we're on to you.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:46 PM
TheChase

As the draft plays out, Klowe should have a pretty good idea if one Radulov, Picard ,Stafford or Thelen is going to be around at 14th. I would trade up only a couple of spots to get one of the above using our surplus of LWs . I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s just what Klowe does.

Montoya, Wolski, Korpikoski look like the probable candidates left.
I would also choose Wolski or Korpikoski

If a team wanted to trade down, I would offer up Isbister

Sindel, Nokelainen Salmonsson Fransson are the probable candidates left here
I would select Nokelainen .

5. Who do you like for their third pick?

Blake Comeau

Problem with always going with Bpa is if it’s a goalie and Klowe may have selected Montoya as a prospect already.
where do you play him so as to ensure his development.
Nevertheless, my BPA is most well rounded player left, but should bring something to the table that sets him above other remaining players; i.e skillset, size

Old
06-07-2004, 11:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
IMO Schwarz is the only goalie worth picking with our 14th overall. If he isn't the goalie left, then I say we wait for Philly's pick or even into the second round.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:

I meant second round. I like...
What the heck kind of a cop out is this!?! Must have gotten a geriatric migraine or something there, eh LT? First thing to go is the mind I'm told...

Old
06-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
What the heck kind of a cop out is this!?! Must have gotten a geriatric migraine or something there, eh LT? First thing to go is the mind I'm told...

Actually, sadly, it's NOT the first thing to go (that otta put some fear in you young man!)

Old
06-08-2004, 08:19 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Actually, sadly, it's NOT the first thing to go (that otta put some fear in you young man!)
:lol :lol
Use it or lose it.

- edit -
My strategy would be to let someone who knows what they are doing (a lot better than me) make these choices.
You are all a lot better than me, so keep up the good work.

Last edited by IceDragoon: 06-08-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old
06-08-2004, 10:26 AM
igor*

I can't imagine that anyone here is more clueless about undrafted prospects than me ... but that's not going to stop me from responding.

Depends on the asking price of course, but probably not. If I actually new something about prospects, and REALLY liked the guy at the 7th-or-so spot ... and could get him by trading my 14th and 25th ... then ya.

More likely just leverage 2nd or 3rd round picks to move up or down a shade to grab a player that better fits the profile I'm after.

2. If the Oilers stay at 14, and assuming that the following are gone, who would you take?
I'd have the players listed by true estimation of quality. Listed in the order of how good of a player they are likely to become in their prime (is that BPA?) ... then I'd lean towards scoring forwards that can skate if at all possible. And the bigger the better.

I have no idea on 3. through 5.

How good of a player they are likely to become in their prime I think.

I don't know if that is necessarily the right guy to pick though. Something that oilswell has really shown us, quantitatively, is that the NHL scouts ... on the whole and average ... have done a tremendous job of picking the right players over the years. And that, surprisingly, most teams have pretty similar overall success realtive to their picking positions. And clusters of success and failure seem to happen for all teams. And they have historically picked the right mix of players by position (i.e. a goalie, defenseman or forward drafted at the Xth overall spot play the same number of NHL games, on average).

The question is ... over the course of the next 12 years or so (at which point he's a UFA under the current CBA) ... which player will add the most to the success of your team? Or even over the next 9 or so years, because by then the Oilers will probably be looking to trade them if they are good, and becoming expensive.

I just think that the development path for forwards, especially scoring forwards, is a lot quicker. And they reach their prime at a younger age. So your development costs are a bit lower and your return is greater with a forward than the other positions. The Dman or Goalie may very well go on to have more impact on their team's results over the course of their career ... but odds are that they'll be playing a larger chunk of the prime of their career at an older age and for a different team.

So the cost/reward ratio for a forward would usually seem to be a lot better to me. And, esp with the higher picks, I'd lean that direction.

And as much as I like the underdog, the small guys ... there is simply no denying that bigger forwards tend to have better defensive numbers than a smaller guy with similar offense, at the NHL level at least.

* And I think we all agree that preventing goals (either by backchecking or just by keeping the puck in the other team's end), well that's exactly as important as creating them.

* And I think we all agree the the current arbitration system rewards tangible offensive results for forwards much more than defensive numbers.

So I may as well take the bigger player if I have two forwards rated closely overall.

It is probably just coincidence ... but that vaguely resembles what the Oilers have done in recent years, no?

Last edited by igor*: 06-08-2004 at 10:50 AM. Reason: clarity
Closed Thread