HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Street Hockey: Canadian Institution Under Attack

Old
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Slippy

vCash: 500
Street Hockey: Canadian Institution Under Attack

I grew up playing hockey. In the winter it was on the ice and once the snow melted, we took to the streets.

Each spring we would battle for the Stanley Cup daily on my neighbourhood streets. As long as there was someone to play net and someone to shot on them, we reenacted our favourite moments.

Now because of the ill-humour of a small minority of people, what used to be a enjoyable pass-time, is a battle for where kids can and cannot play.

No one want children playing on busy streets where cars frequently pass. But too often lately I am here tales of kids being treated like criminals for getting outside and engaging in real life interactions and physical activity in quiet, rural neighbourhoods.

We need to get some common sense and let kids be kids.

Link

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
BlackDog13

This is what's happening all over North America, not necessarily regarding street hockey. Kids are being forced from the time honored pursuits of street sports (hockey, stick ball, skateboarding, roller skating, etc) by individuals, usually childless who feel their large mortgage gives them right over the street as well.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:18 PM
IggyFan12

I've had the cops called on me several times for playing street hockey. They usually didnt say very much and one guy even started talking to us about hockey. You could tell they were annoyed they were called out in the first place.

IggyFan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Nine times out of ten it's easy to tell who the grumpy neighbour is. That's when you start calling the cops on him when he starts up his leafblower.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Big Phil

I can only assume I am not the only one in the world here who grew up playing street hockey. Now we did it on my street which was a crescent. In other words the only people passing by with cars would be people that lived there. It was safe to play there as it should be in 2010.

A stand up comedian from Canada hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the joke about how street hockey isn't "safe" anymore and a neighbour wanted him to sign a petition. He told her to buy a globe and find out what country she was living in.

He also said the only kids who never got hurt playing street hockey were the rocket scientists who mastered the art of saying: "car".

I mean honestly, if kids are prohibited from playing sports they'll be just as happy spending time on the internet all day

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Some people really need to get a life.

Its ridiculous calling the cops on kids playing outside. It sends a great message... "hey kids, instead of being active and developing social skills with peers, lets coop you up inside where you can get your playtime in front of a TV and Xbox/PS3." No wonder obesity is an ever increasing problem.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Canadiens1958

School Yards

In the fifties and sixties inner city kids would play ball hockey in the paved school yards. Some of the bigger schools would have 3-4 games going on at the same time.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:42 PM
TheStranger

I work with the Bylaw enforcement of the City of Ottawa, and there is no bylaw against hockey in the street unless it is holding up traffic. People complain all the time about it, but they're told to deal with it. Police won't even show up for it.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
edog37

we just commandeered the local basketball court & played there....no one ever bothered us & we could play for as long as we liked....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Rumours of its demise are premature. There are kids all over my neighbourhood playing street hockey and I've never heard of any problems and even if there have been, they're still at it. Even when I lived right downtown in Ottawa, just north of the Byward Market, there were kids that played street hockey there. Most kids are pretty considerate and move out of the way quickly, and most neighbours are considerate and drive slowly and give them time to move. You'll always get a few idiots which spawn these media stories about police being called. It's just as common to see grown adults playing street hockey with their young children.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:03 PM
BlackDog13

Where I grew up in New York City (and just about every other neighborhood) there was always a street game of some sort going on be it hockey, touch football, stick ball, etc. The adults spent many hours on their respective stoops and porches watching and cheering us on. Unfortunately, this sense of neighborhood has pretty much fallen by the wayside but I'm happy to say it is flourishing on my street. My house has become "hockey central" for the neighborhood players and I sometimes throw on the skates with the kids.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:02 AM
cupcrazyman
Pierre Shampoo

back in the day he would go home for lunch from school, eat for 10 mins,play road hockey for 20+ mins & then head back to school before the bell rang.great memories.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:34 AM
DJ Man

Street hockey hones your goaltending skills.

With no blue lines (or lines of any color, come to think of it) and no linesmen, there is no concept such as "offside," and you have to endure an opposing forward camped out just outside of your net on a permanent basis.

You have no defensemen because your teammates are doing the same thing at the other end, trying to score goals.

I actually preferred to have two attackers installed there: they'd often get in each other's way when the puck chanced to get knocked my way, so I had a better chance at the point-blank save.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 11:33 AM
JFA87-66-99

My neighbor called the cops on us for playing hockey in a church parking lot. So when I saw him about a week later & we were playing again in the same parking lot I fired a slap shot right of his chest & challenged him to a fight. needles to say he's never bothered us again.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 326
The cops been called out before for my friends and I playing hockey...they picked up some spare sticks and started playing with us for a good 20 minutes.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
My neighbor called the cops on us for playing hockey in a church parking lot. So when I saw him about a week later & we were playing again in the same parking lot I fired a slap shot right of his chest & challenged him to a fight. needles to say he's never bothered us again.
I wish I could be as cool as you.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchey View Post
As far as I'm concerned he let his neighbour off easily.......

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
As far as I'm concerned he let his neighbour off easily.......
well yeah, because it was an obvious fabrication.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Most grown men wouldn't fight a 12 year old.

Me and my buddies used to play street hockey every night of the week in the early 90's, the lane we played on was next to a police station so alot of the cops used to park there own cars on the street where we played. They were typically pretty cool, just asked us to make sure we moved our nets whenever a car came by. Later on when I got older we used to play in a large parking lot late at night, say from 12:00 until maybe 2 in the morning. We had a cop car drive right through our game one day and they asked if they could join. Good times.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 07:48 AM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

When I was growing up it was nothing to go out around at any time and see the kids in my neighbourhood playing street hockey. That doesn't exist as much anymore. It's to bad but with the advance of video games and the internet kids are staying in more often now.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 08:51 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
the street I grew up on was in a hilly area so by the time we were 10-12 the driveways were no longer big enough to host even 3 on 3 neighborhood games. We ended up hijacking a local tennis court that was about 3 blocks over and never in use. Nothing beats using the pole to screen defenders when waiting for a teammate to get open.

sadly they don't even allow that on the tennis courts where I live now, although thankfully some of the cul de sac residents are fine with the kids games being held on them as long as the cars don't take any damage.

Last edited by DaveG: 10-03-2010 at 09:36 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Dgill

vCash: 50
Played in four different locations, had the cops called on us each time. They would always show up and ask us if we knew what happened. Obviously we never had any clue what was going on, but it always complaints from people driving by and we weren't moving fast enough. That's because the cars were treating the stretch of road like the Indy 500.

They would then ask us who was winning, our favourite team, and how long we were playing. Even got them in playing with us a couple times.

In the end they would tell us to keep doing what we were doing, having fun, staying out of trouble, and being physically active.

On another note, here is another article:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1204138.html

Quote:
There was a warm wind blowing down Olivia Lane in Prospect on Monday night, but the cul-de-sac was barren.

The neighbourhood kids have been sent to the penalty box.

An RCMP cruiser showed up at Cathyann Zinck’s door Sunday morning to let her know that a neighbour had complained about children playing ball hockey in the street. Police can move kids off the road under the section of the provincial Motor Vehicle Act that deals with pedestrians failing to yield.

"We just want the kids to be out there playing, exercising, and having a good time," Zinck said. "There’s a sense of community."
And a good cartoon related to the recent article.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:34 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
This is my battle even though i'm an adult.I still have my net and my orange balls and I live in Montreal and I like to make slapshot , unfortunately there isnt any wall close to my house so I just put it in the street and stickhandle and slapshot losing multiple balls in one of the neibor backyard , I swear someday I,m gonna accidently kill someone with those slapshot but he will die for a good cause , sometimes theres people annoying me but that wont stop me from playing , they can go **** themselve pretty much , I'm putting hockey flavor on my street all summer.Im awesome.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:39 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Rumours of its demise are premature. There are kids all over my neighbourhood playing street hockey and I've never heard of any problems and even if there have been, they're still at it. Even when I lived right downtown in Ottawa, just north of the Byward Market, there were kids that played street hockey there. Most kids are pretty considerate and move out of the way quickly, and most neighbours are considerate and drive slowly and give them time to move. You'll always get a few idiots which spawn these media stories about police being called. It's just as common to see grown adults playing street hockey with their young children.
In kanata/nepean there are probleams they claim its a bylaw who knows but there have been alot of cases where kids can not play street hockey.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchey View Post
It will never happen lol. My neighbor was a real jerk tho. This wasn't the first time we had problems but the calling the cops on me & my friends was over the top. My neighbor and me are in our 20's. And yes we still play street hockey when we get a chance even though were adults now.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote