HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

How would you like your Opening Day roster?

Old
09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
How would you like your Opening Day roster?

Things are clearing up after a few pre-season games. This is how I see it:

1st Weiss C, Booth F, Frolik F (Obviously)

2nd Reinprecht C, Higgins F, Stillman F (All three has looked solid so far)

3rd Matthias C, Olesz F, Dvorak F (Matthias has really made progress this off-season, love what I see from him. When it comes to the other guys, they speak the same language... which is good... No comment)

4th Reasoner C, Bitz F, Bernier F (Love Bitz's physical part, Reasoner has looked solid, and Bernier is gritty. Pretty good 4th line)

-

1st McCabe D, Kulikov D

2nd Allen D, Wideman D

3rd Garrison D, Weaver D

-

Scratches Paetsch, Santorelli

-

Starting Vokoun

Back-up Clemmensen

Last edited by billysbreakdown: 09-28-2010 at 05:21 PM.
billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Higgins - Matthias - Bernier
Stillman - Reinprecht - Grabner
Olesz - Reasoner - Dvorak

McCabe - Wideman
Allen - Kulikov
Garrison - Weaver/Paetsch

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Higgins - Matthias - Grabner
Stillman - Reinprecht - Bernier

McCabe - Kulikov
Allen - Wideman

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Reinprecht - Bernier

McCabe - Kulikov
Allen - Wideman
I like how we're almost on the same page here. In regards to you switching Grabner and Bernier, wouldn't you like to have Grabner playing the opposite side of Stillman to offset his lack of speed? Same thing applies to Higgins and Bernier...

Old
09-28-2010, 07:06 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
OK, this isn't really what I expect to see but this is what I would like to see at least for a few games to see how it works out.

Booth-Weiss-Bernier
Higgins-Matthias-Frolik
Stillman-Rhino-Grabner
Olesz-Reasoner-Dvorak

Bench: Peters and Bitz

McCabe-Kulikov
Allen-Wideman
Garrison-Weaver

Bench: Ellerby

Vokoun
Clemm

Now we have some more balanced lines IMO and can roll all 4 with each being a scoring threat. I like the idea of a big body on the 1st line to make room and go to the net, and as of right now the best candidate is Bernier. I think our first line with Frolik is too small and can be pushed around too easily. Is Bernier equal to big Buff from the Hawks last season? No, but at least he's the closest we have got this season unless we throw Bitz up there. If there is one year we should experiment a bit with different line combos and giving guys opportunities its this year.

Peters and Bitz as LW and RW physical elements on the bench to throw in whenever a winger is under-performing or things get physical.

Ellerby as the 7th d-man because he deserves it and brings a physical element. He could take turns with Weaver and Garrison.

Immediate call-ups would be Santo, McArdle and Dadonov.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:20 PM
CrossCheck

I am extremely surprised how physical Kulikov can play! What a hockey player! Fast, skilled and he looks strong for hitting that hard.

Good for you and just hope and doesn't leave to KHL...

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
I am extremely surprised how physical Kulikov can play! What a hockey player! Fast, skilled and he looks strong for hitting that hard.

Good for you and just hope and doesn't leave to KHL...
He is a beast and he isn't going anywhere. He will get top pairing minutes this year and will get the NHL money no problem when the time comes. From day one he said he wants to play in the NHL and stay in the US and bring his family over. The kid is here to stay and I'm sure the panthers brass couldn't be more excited. I know I am!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Erick

After watching the preseason, my thoughts have changed from about a week ago. I think Santorelli should make the team.

Line 1: Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Line 2: Higgins-Reinprecht-Stillman
Line 3: Santorelli-Matthias-Grabner
Line 4: Bernier-Reasoner-Dvorak

Line 1: Kulikov-Weaver
Line 2: McCabe-Garrison
Line 3: Allen-Wideman

PP Unit 1
Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Kulikov-Wideman

PP Unit 2
Higgins-Matthias-Bernier
McCabe-Stillman

PK Unit 1
Reasoner-Dvorak
Kulikov-Weaver

PK Unit 2
Weiss-Higgins
Allen-Garrison

Goaltending
1. Vokoun
2. Clemmensen

Shootouts
1. Grabner
2. Santorelli
3. Stillman

Healthy Scratches: Bitz, Olesz, Paetsch

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I like how we're almost on the same page here. In regards to you switching Grabner and Bernier, wouldn't you like to have Grabner playing the opposite side of Stillman to offset his lack of speed? Same thing applies to Higgins and Bernier...
Grabner would offset the speed on that line with Stillman there. However, because Grabner excels at generating his own chances in a lot of cases, it would free up Higgins and Matthias to get into open space. Bernier is a bit more of a mucker in my opinion so I would think that line would be more of a "grind line" wearing down opponents top lines as a better matchup. More a difference in personal opinion than anything else.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Holy Jokinen

Looking at the lines, i was wondering... we haven't played Garrison much in the preseason, right? Any reason for that? Or am i making stuff up?

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:16 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
After watching the preseason, my thoughts have changed from about a week ago. I think Santorelli should make the team.

Line 3: Santorelli-Matthias-Grabner

I thought Santorelli struggled at wing in Nashville. Maybe he might do better here because of a different system ran by DeBoer??

1st Line: Booth-Weiss-Frolik
2nd: Higgins-Matthias-Grabner
3rd: Stillman-Reinprecht-Bernier
4th: Olesz-Reasoner-Dvorak
(HS) Bitz, Paetsch
Kulikov-Wideman
McCabe-Allen
Garrison-Weaver

If we could somehow get rid of Reinprecht I would put Santorelli in his spot.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I thought Santorelli struggled at wing in Nashville. Maybe he might do better here because of a different system ran by DeBoer??

If we could somehow get rid of Reinprecht I would put Santorelli in his spot.
I think Santorelli is also better suited for center as well...not to mention he'd be a rare right-handed center which I'd like to see.

There may be a possibility of moving Reino due to some injuries that have occurred during preseason. Calgary is currently without both Stajan and Langkow indefinitely so maybe they'd want to trade for Reino who's a familiar face there. One thing I'd like though if Reino were traded is to find an extra forward that can play both wing & center on the bottom 2 lines, in case of injury and/or someone struggling (even if its someone to play in Rochester for the time being). I dont want to go from having depth at center to limited depth at center again.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
gizmo12688

Quote:
Mike Santorelli chances of making Panthers increase as Reinprect moved to LW...for how long?
-GR

Well. Fix those lineups.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
-GR

Well. Fix those lineups.
Sweet. That says a TON about what PDB thinks aboot Santorelli AND Reino.

Old
09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Reinprecht can play all 3 forward spots, he played the wing most of the time with the flames. putting santorelli at center and reino at wing makes the most sense.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
gizmo12688

There's still the issue of whose spot does Santorelli take. And don't say Olesz, because I doubt he's going to be riding the bench or hanging in AHL with the amount he's being paid.

Old
09-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
There's still the issue of whose spot does Santorelli take. And don't say Olesz, because I doubt he's going to be riding the bench or hanging in AHL with the amount he's being paid.
Hell, i don't know...

We'll carry the kid a few games, give him some starts. If he makes something happen, we'll make room for him. If not, he'll earn his way through Rochester.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:29 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Anyone else think that we might have some better goal scoring this season? Dont want to sound too optimistic, since I want a top two pick, but I feel like we have three pretty good scoring lines, and a legitimate checking line. Of course we arent going to be a top scoring team, but I think the balance might be better than it has been in recent years.

On defense, the way Guds has been playing, I think he might just make the team. If that were to happen, Id like to see pairings like so:

McCabe - Garrison/Weaver
Kulikov - Gudbranson
Allen - Wideman
Weaver/Garrison

Might as well have Guds and Kuli paired together from the get go, since that seems to be our top pairing of the future. Let these guys work the chemistry out, so in the next few years, they will know each other like the back of their hand.

I really dont want to have Weaver as our 7th Dman, because I think he is a very good defensive Dman. And Ellerby could throw a wrench into this mix if he keeps playing as physical as he has.

On offense, Im thinking:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Rhino - Santorelli - Stillman
Dvo - Reasoner - Bernier/Bitz/Olesz

I would like to see Rusty moved around a little on the lines. Have him on the Matty/Grabs line, and see if speed and skill can help his game out. Or have him on the 3rd line with playmakers. I think a line of him, Rhino, and Stillman could be good for him, but Santorelli playing this good really makes Olesz's spot a problem.

I like Erick's PP lines, but the only change I would make is have Higgins on the top line PP unit. He is the best we have at camping in front of the net, and Id rather see him out there with our top line players. We can move Frolik to the 2nd PP unit, since Booth is better suited to play with Higgins, since he shoots all the time.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:59 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
So going by the latest news, I am changing my lines:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Rhino - Santorelli - Stillman
Dvorak - Reasoner - Bernier/Bitz/Olesz

Kind of hard to sit Olesz, only because of his contract. Grabs might be the odd man out, since he can be sent to Rochester, but I think his speed could be of usage to us. Those are the lines I would go with, but from the news coming out, it seems PDBs lines so far are:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Rhino - Matthias - Bernier
_____ - Santorelli - Stillman

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Georgia Panther

According to GR, the lines were Rhino-Matthias-Grabner and Stillman-Santorelli-Olesz today.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...eating-up.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
According to GR, the lines were Rhino-Matthias-Grabner and Stillman-Santorelli-Olesz today.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...eating-up.html
That may also have something to do with Higgins nursing a minor injury too. If he was in the lineup, I'd be betting money that the line of Stillman-Santorelli-Olesz would become Higgins-Santorelli-Stillman.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:17 PM
gizmo12688

I'm back to thinking that there may definitely be a trade coming soon to make room for Santorelli.....I'm guessing Rhino will be traded.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Erick

Awesome. Santorelli's going to make the team.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Montsy14

With Santorelli looking to make the team now, I have no clue what DeBoer plans on doing. I don't really like Reinprecht on the wing and Olesz doesn't seem to fit in at all with this team. I have a feeling that Olesz might be a healthy scratch the first few games of the season in order to see whether or not Santorelli and Grabner can stick with the big club.

Old
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
ursavolta

I'm pretty sure stillman and reino are going to moved this year.. for prospects..

if you look whats on the ice we need a healthy dose of speed..smarts and grit..

i would def. take olesz out..buy him out or trade for a hotdog or some nachos..or some ketchup packets.. (if i'm lucky)..something.. even if he improves this season and starts putting up numbers.. we can use that as bait to move him.. he needs to be another team.. i DOUBT that hes going to put up any good numbers this year..but i hope he plays well so we can trade him..

but i feel like grabs might be sent down.. for a bit...i like his speed and i think hes going to replace devo in the long run..but if you look at our team.. we have alot of speed players that dont provide much aggression and contact....booth.weiss..devo..grabs..higgins..rein o..

If you remember our games last year we play by stickchecking the CRAP out of the team.. i mean look at the bruins.. their lineup.. nice balance of hittters... and speed players..if you remember the Montreal game.. you saw how we played their game.. and their forecheck was really awesome..strong- aggressive....they made us make so many botchy passes..and intimidated us..we end up dumping the puck on the boards and chase it for scoring chances.. and it reminded me of how we played last year..

so with bitz..benier..mcardel and (hopefully) santos.. we can start being a more contact/aggressive team..make our scorers score and make our grinders GRIND..

i really would like to see benier step it up.. i think he's a perfect player for a 4th/3rd third spot.. just because as of late hes been hitting throwing his body around and his type of goals are the dirty rebounds, smack the stick against the goalies pad till the light and horn blare up....which we need.. last - last season we almost had enough points to crack a spot in the playoffs because of the point shots and dirty goals we made...but i get him being on the weiss line.. he provides them that grit..and intimidation..

i like pb1300 forward line up.. and i like his defense.. but i think guds going back to the juniors.. his conditioning worries me and he does not look too smooth on the ice....i love his tenacity and his frame.. going to be a freakin tank when he earns some more time..

ehh maybe he can change my mind .. kuli started to really pick up after he got more mins..

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote