HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PS #4 - 09.29.2010 | Detroit Red Wings @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
09-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
From Zips twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezipay

X-rays show Pavel Valentenko's nose was broken on his first shift, but he is happy with the win
Thatta boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He just played on the third line tonight. He can play PP and average close to 17 minutes a game on a line with Avery and Feds.
Ideally but that isn't how Torts uses his 3rd line generally. Stepan would miss out on 10 minutes of ice time he could be getting in HFD if he stayed up just to play on the 3rd line is all I'm saying.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

The kid has balls, that's for sure.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
You might as well send Stepan down if you plan on playing him on the 3rd line. Christensen is the odd man out at center IMO move Drury to the wing and keep the improved Boyle.
Why 3rd line is fine for Stepan......same place that AA started

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Why 3rd line is fine for Stepan......same place that AA started
It's a valid point I'm not arguing that but I think he could replace EC in the top six if he struggles let Prospal center the top line move Drury to wing and throw Stepan on the 3rd.

Old
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
It's a valid point I'm not arguing that but I think he could replace EC in the top six if he struggles let Prospal center the top line move Drury to wing and throw Stepan on the 3rd.
I see what your saying but regardless of what i want i think torts will have EC on the top line, and if stepan makes it he will be the third until drury comes back.

No way do i see prospal getting much if any center ice time this year due to our surplus of forwards..as much as people dislike boyle, last year was his first full season in the NHL and the coaching staff is really high on him

We have 5 adequate centers, no need to put prospal there when his strength is on wing

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
I see what your saying but regardless of what i want i think torts will have EC on the top line, and if stepan makes it he will be the third until drury comes back.

No way do i see prospal getting much if any center ice time this year due to our surplus of forwards..as much as people dislike boyle, last year was his first full season in the NHL and the coaching staff is really high on him

We have 5 adequate centers, no need to put prospal there when his strength is on wing
That was a scenario for if EC got moved or whatever, Anisimov, Boyle, Drury, Stepan at C if EC goes we all know Drury isn't going to play on the top 2 lines so Prospal is the only option at that point.

I agree with you on Boyle and sadly I agree EC will probably be the 1c at least for awhile. Although I'd really like to see Anisimov on the top line for some time too.

Old
09-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Vitto79

i would cut White and Eminger tommorow and thats it ............i have no freaking clue about the other cuts. Everyone has done well.............if I had to say I think V-Tanks goes down and he is the first call up. 5-7 is McD, Gilroy, Sauer in that order

upfront ugh Stepan is doing well but rather see him playing full time minutes in Hartford instead of 3rd line when Drury will be in that spot soon enough

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
ThirdEye

Stepan better make the team. Christensen has been pretty good but hasn't outplayed Stepan, and I don't see him in the team's future plans. Either give him a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line or Hartford.

I know it's only preseason, but I'm really impressed by this team. Anisimov, Del Zotto and Gilroy look stronger and more confident. Frolov is a monster. He has legit first line talent. Valentenko looks like a keeper. Stepan looks awesome

Still not a fan of Rozsival. At least get him off the power play. I know the other options at this point are not ideal, but Rozsival is a disaster on the PP. Use MDZ, Gilroy, Girardi and Staal or maybe even give Valentenko a shot if he makes the team. But please, no Rozsival

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:16 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
wow really? imho hes played exactly the way i would want my 4th line center to play. big, strong, mean, and defensively responsible.
problem is that he doesn't do that on nearly a consistent enough basis.

He's playing that well now to make the team, once he makes the team, right back to playing like a 5'8" midget

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
problem is that he doesn't do that on nearly a consistent enough basis.

He's playing that well now to make the team, once he makes the team, right back to playing like a 5'8" midget
Spot on.

I'm one of the first ones to see the pessimistic side of things.. especially with the Rangers.. nothing ever goes according to plan.

For some, I'm annoying, but for some, I'm realistic.

No way Boyle keeps up that play for half a season let alone an entire season. Not impressed.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

D-step's goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8xC9jK5Sdc

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

so i need to ask again, I only saw the third period. Was Sauer playing that solid all game? His head was on a swivel and he picked up guys and was really strong on the boards. Really like what I saw.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
i would cut White and Eminger tommorow and thats it ............i have no freaking clue about the other cuts. Everyone has done well.............if I had to say I think V-Tanks goes down and he is the first call up. 5-7 is McD, Gilroy, Sauer in that order

upfront ugh Stepan is doing well but rather see him playing full time minutes in Hartford instead of 3rd line when Drury will be in that spot soon enough

Also can anyone confirm? I keep hearing people say Sauer has to clear waivers to go down. Is this true and why? He's only 23 years old. I like the idea of McD, Gilroy, and Sauer splitting games and if Rosival is stinking up the joint, he'll have 3 strong young guns looking to take his ice time.

Old
09-29-2010, 09:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I have no idea what the starting lineup is going to be opening night.

I guess thats a good thing for once.

There are just so many players vying for positions. Its not that the Rangers are ultra deep with skill, but that there are so many similar level players going for open spots.

Centers - Lets start up the middle.

Christensen
Stepan
Anisimov
Drury
Boyle
White

With Drury out it makes it a little easier but who goes when hes ready to return?

Christensen has got skill and has proved he can play with Gaborik. Not sure where he fits, maybe on the 3rd line to start?

Stepan has proved he can play at this level, and I firmly believe he adds a youthful confidence to a team that needs it. The kid can flat out play too. Top 2 lines for sure, and you gotta think giving him 3rd line minutes is a waste. Part of me feels like they may ride him out on the top line until Drury comes back and make the decision then. Kind of like an extended camp.

Anisimov can play any of the top 4 lines because hes so heady and defensively responsible. IMO hes got a spot on this team no matter what.

Drury is out but hes got a spot when he comes back so...

Is it Boyle or White? Boyle has completely outplayed White IMO, and they should dump White on the sheer fact that Kennedy, Dubinsky and Prospal can all play center as well. Theres plenty of depth now at center, though none of them are true 1A playmakers. Boyle is a big body, has had a good camp and even though I had written him off hes proved he deserves a shot down there. They need that big line IMO, that can be deployed at will to smack around the other teams defense. As long as he keeps that up i'd stick to the bruisers instead of redundant skill getting small minutes on the 4th line.

So here's what I would do. Stepan, Anisimov, Christensen and Boyle in that order to start the year. See how Stepan and Christensen do until Drury comes back. all 3 of the top centers can rotate in and out of each line if need be. Maybe a line clicks in if a combination or two doesnt. Reassess then.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

Also can anyone confirm? I keep hearing people say Sauer has to clear waivers to go down. Is this true and why? He's only 23 years old. I like the idea of McD, Gilroy, and Sauer splitting games and if Rosival is stinking up the joint, he'll have 3 strong young guns looking to take his ice time.
I think Sauer signed another contract , not his EL so he has to clear which is why i think he gets the 7th spot

Another main reason to dump White and Eminger is to save space on the cap. Obviously it plays the kids too but at the deadline i want a deal for a #1 C like Richards. Having space will be real important

10 million in Hartford between White ,Eminger, Redden,

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
so i need to ask again, I only saw the third period. Was Sauer playing that solid all game? His head was on a swivel and he picked up guys and was really strong on the boards. Really like what I saw.
Quote:

To answer your questions:

Yes, Sauer needs to clear waivers. I'm sure someone who is more familiar with it can clarify, but I imagine it's due to the fact that he's no longer on his ELC.

He was very solid tonight. A couple gaffs early on, but you can tell he's really starting to gain some confidence both positionally, and with the puck on his stick. He's also pretty protective of Hank, which is nice to see. He's one of those guys who has been kept out of the NHL by just about everything except for his overall game.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
To answer your questions:

Yes, Sauer needs to clear waivers. I'm sure someone who is more familiar with it can clarify, but I imagine it's due to the fact that he's no longer on his ELC.

He was very solid tonight. A couple gaffs early on, but you can tell he's really starting to gain some confidence both positionally, and with the puck on his stick. He's also pretty protective of Hank, which is nice to see. He's one of those guys who has been kept out of the NHL by just about everything except for his overall game.
Thanks. i found this chart

NHL Games Played
Age/Years from 1st NHL contract/NHL games played

18 5* 160
19 4* 160
20 3 160
21 3 80
22 3 70
23 3 60
24 2 60
25+ 1 1

I guess Sauer is technically in his 4th year and at age 23? That would make him not exempt I suppose. He definitely has not played more than 60 NHL games.

Old
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

great gm

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Anybody got Torts' interview?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
ThirdEye

NHL.com already going at it with their terrible puns: "Step-an up"

I bet Stepan will be giddy though when he visits the NHL website to find a picture of him on the front page

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 10:50 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
What a great game.

Frolov is a beast and gaborik continues to show Joe his "quick release"

Poor rozsival, he can't stay injury free even in pre-season

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Just got back from the game.

Everyone actually looked real good for the most part. If I had to guess, I say Fedotenko makes the team- his assist on Steps goal was really sweet and the rest of his preseason has been real good.

Todd White was invisible...my guess is he ends up waived. V-Tank and Stepan looked awesome. At this point i'm sold on Step making the team.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
ecemleafs

did todd white play in the 3rd period?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 0
Was White even in the line-up??

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:15 PM
gravey9

Wow. The Rangers are going to be forced to make at least one trade and waiver claim. I don't think they're comfortable with Sauer being the 7th defenseman. And they seem sold in McDonagh as 6. So, Sauer is going to be traded. And a veteran D will be claimed or traded for to be 6-7. There is also too many vets upfront. Stepan had a very strong game. But there just isn't room for him without losing at least one of Kennedy, Boyle, Fedetenko and Christiansen. White and Eminger, I would hope are foregone conclusions to be cut. Stepan shouldn't be sent down until the end of camp. Or possibly, after Drury comes back. I really like Kennedy's game.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote