HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-season #4| 5Up & 5Down (Vs. Hawks)

Old
09-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Ugene Malkin
Pens Bohemian Rhaps

vCash: 500
Pre-season #4| 5Up & 5Down (Vs. Hawks)

5Up

1. Johnson stood on his head tonight.
2. Letestu solidified a spot Oct. 7th.IMO
3. Geno was everywhere.
4. Kunitz was being, well Kunitz.
5. Jeffery gets a well deserved up tonight, I noticed him on many occasions.

On the bubble for me is Engelland even though he was a +2.

The only major minus for me was the Engelland turn over to Kane, the team had great transition and puck POISE. Ya, I went there.

You'd have too nitpick for 5.

Game Stats

I'll do my minuses after I watch the game again.

Have at it.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 09-29-2010 at 02:35 AM.
Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Kinguin

Despres and Engelland solid efforts, I thought.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:49 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

they just showed engelland's giveaway to kane in the first period on the tape delay -- and it was hideous. normally i don't like to judge a guy's entire game on one play, but this was just inexcusably bad. he literally handed it to the worst guy possible while he was alone in front of his own net. it wasn't like kane made a nice play to pick his pocket... engelland looked right up at him and put it right on his tape.

kudos to johnson for reacting quicker than kane, but yikes.

if the pens are just looking for someone stable to play with goligoski, that didn't help his chances.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:54 AM
High Flying Birds

And people want Engelland as the 7th dman? That scares the crap out of me. He had more than a few defensive lapses when he was called up last season during that horrible stretch where all the other dmen were hurt. Nothing against him but he's a career AHL'er from what I've seen.

High Flying Birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

5 Up
1. Despres: What's not to like? He continues to get the puck to the net. He is awesome in transition. He even threw his weight around with a few nice hits in this game. I think he's closer to NHL ready than most if us thought.

2. Malkin looks like the beast of old.

3. Michalek: I just love this guy's game. He is looking like a steal, even with the 4 million/per price tag.

4. Nick Johnson and Dustin Jeffrey were very good.

5. Brent Johnson was very solid.

Honorable mentions:

Talbot played a solid all around game.

Mark Letestu continues to impress.

Tangradi continues to cause problems around the other teams net.

Paul Martin: I really haven't seen any offense from the guy yet, but you can see the good stick that Bylsma talked about. He also made some smart defensive plays in the D-Zone and neutral zone and made some nice passes up to the forwards in transition. That seems to be more his game than offense anyway.

Kunitz looks healthy and is playing very well.

Only Down I can think of is Engelland's turnover.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 03:48 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

+ Letestu - Every time he was on the ice he was noticeable. Back checking, forechecking, giving the defensemen pressure in their zone. He was in all three zones and noticeable in all three. If he has not shown he is ready for this team I do not know what it will take for him to. He will be with the big club this season at the start. I would call it an almost sure bet. He was IMO flat out the most noticeable forward on the ice tonight. And the sustained pressure he created got him a goal.

+ B. Johnson - Quite literally stealing the puck off of Kane's stick gets him a "+" for the game. He played strong, was what we know from him last year. A very good 2nd goalie. Not really much more to say.

+ Despres - His IQ is very high, his wrister is good. He just needs to fill out his size more so he can give and take body more. But you can see all the raw elements there, he is going to be very good. But we will not see him as a full time Pen for 1-2 more seasons, but he impressed this game, and all through the preseason so far. He is going to be very good.

+ Martin - The guy is quite and solid. You do not even notice him a lot on the ice. But in terms of what his play brings I like that. He is always finding the smart pass, always in position, and is a extremely good skater. He also had 2 assists tonight, so I am very excited for him being part of this team this season.

= Tangradi - He did not show up on the score sheet. But was noticeable at a few times during the game. His size is noticeable, the opposing players basically had to put him down to get the puck away from him without a tough fight. Which is good, its what we expect from a guy with his size. And him standing in front of the net on Geno's goal was exactly what we need from him. He is only an equal and not a positive though because he seems to have problems finding open ice to get a shot on the rush and played a bit to much out of position.

These are problems that are nothing that coaching can not fix, all the intangibles are there, he just needs to get smart in his positioning outside of what he does standing in front of the goal and screening or being the big guy to push past a pinch.

= Malkin - Had a goal with Tangradi screening for him. But I can still see that he is getting acclimated to two guys whom possibly will both be his line mates come Oct. 7 and readjusting himself to the position he played at during the cup run. I am sure it will be fine when the growing pains pass, and once we have Staal centering him instead of Comrie this will be one good forward line. Assuming Tangradi makes the team Tangradi - Staal - Malkin is going to be a very solid line.

- You really have to get into very drastic specifics to pull out any minus out of the game as a whole. A lot of players had dumb or bad plays, or had big mental gaffes. But this is still a prospect filled preseason game, so they should just be overlooked for the most part. Its the preseason, lets focus on the positives.

Other notable positives...

*Sterling had a lot of good looks, he just couldnt capitalize on his chances.
*Talbot and Kunitz look flat out determined to come out guns blazing. I like it.
*Michalek had a very quite but solid game.
*Jeffrey had a strong game, nice but ultimately lucky redirect goal.
*N. Johnson being in good position and also getting a lucky goal off of Seabrook.

Also... Poor Seabrook tonight, two goals off of him in back to back shifts... He will be raiding the mini bar in the hotel tonight.

Last edited by EdwardBlake: 09-29-2010 at 03:59 AM.
EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:11 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
And people want Engelland as the 7th dman? That scares the crap out of me. He had more than a few defensive lapses when he was called up last season during that horrible stretch where all the other dmen were hurt. Nothing against him but he's a career AHL'er from what I've seen.
I have to agree. The love Engelland gets is based on his big hits and feistiness on a blueline that has been real low on that for a long time Orpik excluded. But it doesn't make him an NHL defender.

That said, I have no issues with him coming up in the event Brooks get injured and Bortuzzo isn't yet ready to dish out the punishment with the big boys. In that role - to maintain some measure of physical edge for a brif period - he is decent injury cover. But he is no more than that.

Right now the choice - if it is one and I' not convinced it is - is really between Lovejoy and Despres.
Lovejoy had only cosmetic blights on his game in this one despite getting more ice time than anyone else. I don't think there's anything stopping him from becoming Eaton 2.0. He is bigger and faster and makes the safe play virtually every time. Not quite the awareness of Eaton yet, but that only comes with experience playing at this level.
Despres obviously has tools an order of magnitude better, but while I must admit I was impressed with almost everything he did in this one, I don't see it happening and won't even consider it until I see him play with a potential 'third pairing' partner.
When he has been out there, it has been consistently been with guys like Letang and now Michalek. Never Gogo, Lovejoy or Engelland, and that says to me that Bylsma isn't really giving him serious consideration. Instead he is being put in a position to succeed individually to give some insights into what he can bring to the lineup down the line.
Lovejoy on the other hand is played with anybody and in all situations, and started out with Gogo tonight before ending with Martin (like he did against Columbus away). Unless this pattern changes and Despres rocks in more of an audition role in the last two games, I absolutely think that spot has Lovejoy's name on it unless for Shero adding a vet.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:38 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Paul Martin: I really haven't seen any offense from the guy yet, but you can see the good stick that Bylsma talked about. He also made some smart defensive plays in the D-Zone and neutral zone and made some nice passes up to the forwards in transition. That seems to be more his game than offense anyway.
I dunno... I saw him jump into the play a handful of times last night and throw a puck on net through some traffic. He's not Gonchar out there, but he has done enough for me offensively.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Despres looked awesome last night, but with that said, he found himself out of position, a lot I believe, in his own zone. He seemed like he just kept following the play even when it led him out of position. He might be able to do that in junior, but eventually that's going to bite him in the ass in the NHL.

Dude's got talent, but he needs to work more on his defensive zone work a bit.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
JTG

Tangradi-Malkin-Comrie line is going to stick, I think.

Dustin Jeffrey has impressed me in every single game he has played in. He's much faster, the puck seems to follow him, and he has some good offensive skill. I think the 3C is between him and Letestu, but I would also like to see Jeffrey get some time in the top 6 on the wing. Every time he was on the ice, I seemed to get the "Ohhh, who was that?" feeling. Every single time I did that, it was Jeffrey. He will have full-time place on this team come next season [/Jeffrey Blow-j]

Goligoski looks to have got faster. He had a play in the 1st period where he wheeled all the way into the the offensive zone and then held up. That is EXACTLY how we should be setting our powerplay up. Who ever breaks the zone carries it in deep.

Geno plays so much better with a big guy on his line.

Martin and Michalek will help this transition game more than anyone realizes, I think. Time after time, they take the puck off the opposition and it's going the other way, right on the tape of our man.

I soooo wish Despres connected with that hip check he tried throwing in the 2nd period. Pens board would have exploded.

Paul Martin just let Beach sit behind him on Beach's goal. Not a smart play by him.

Engelland's pass to Kane's stick might have costed him his spot on this team. What a complete mental fart.

I still stand by the thought that Michalek will be way more offensive here. He has a really good shoot, a fantastic outlet pass, and a pretty high hockey IQ.

Camera's built into the boards are pretty cool

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

plus
1. Geno
2. Mitch
3. Letestu
4. Tangradi
5. Rupp

minus
1. Engelland (sorry, this guy is not NHL calibre; we've been duped by retard media stories.)
2. None others off the top of my head

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
SomeDude

I thought the ice looked really terrible last night. Puck was bouncing all over the place and everyone was falling down.

Also, aside from that horrible giveaway to Kane, I thought Engelland had a solid game. I'm not saying he's an NHL regular, but to say a guy sucks due to one brain fart is laughable. I assume these are the same people that called for Scuderi's head when he deflected a couple pucks in his own net during his first year.

Another down, although Consol is an amazing building, don't even try to go anywhere during intermission. It's a total traffic jam around any kind of bathroom or concession stand. I was just trying to walk around a bit and see more of the building, but it was pointless. They should have made the concourse area wider.

SomeDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:39 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
I thought the ice looked really terrible last night. Puck was bouncing all over the place and everyone was falling down.
Yeah... I've noticed that, as well. Both games I've watched at the new barn seemed to have crappy ice. The players (specifically Crosby) have made a point to comment on how bad it is, too. Hopefully it gets better. Soon. It would really blow to have this shiny new arena only to have arguably the most important element in the entire venue be extremely sub-par.

Quote:
Also, aside from that horrible giveaway to Kane, I thought Engelland had a solid game. I'm not saying he's an NHL regular, but to say a guy sucks due to one brain fart is laughable. I assume these are the same people that called for Scuderi's head when he deflected a couple pucks in his own net during his first year.
I don't know if I'd say I think he "sucks" -- he seems good enough to maybe play on the bottom pairing of a few NHL clubs around the league and he's obviously a good AHL defenseman. I just don't think he has any business on an NHL roster that expects to compete. Even in a limited capacity as a seventh. And it isn't at all based on last night's egregious turnover. I've been pretty unimpressed with his entire body of work dating back to last season.

I get that he's a physical player and this blueline lacks that element outside of Orpik. But his shortcomings are just too glaring. I'd be pretty concerned having to rely on the guy even as a bottom pairing player for more than a small handful of games if injuries start to crop up. Especially playing next to Goligoski... who has problems of his own to smooth out.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 02:20 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post

I don't know if I'd say I think he "sucks" -- he seems good enough to maybe play on the bottom pairing of a few NHL clubs around the league and he's obviously a good AHL defenseman. I just don't think he has any business on an NHL roster that expects to compete. Even in a limited capacity as a seventh. And it isn't at all based on last night's egregious turnover. I've been pretty unimpressed with his entire body of work dating back to last season.

I get that he's a physical player and this blueline lacks that element outside of Orpik. But his shortcomings are just too glaring. I'd be pretty concerned having to rely on the guy even as a bottom pairing player for more than a small handful of games if injuries start to crop up. Especially playing next to Goligoski... who has problems of his own to smooth out.
I agree with that, as I said I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as a regular, but as an injury fill-in for a couple of games he's not that bad. I just think some of the comments on him were getting a bit ridiculous.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Maybe that was Sterling's problem earlier in camp? I don't understand what is actually wrong with it. Is it too soft still? Could be a function of the humidity / weather this time of year in Pittsburgh? You'd think the ice (while it's never going to be what they have up in Edmonton for example) would be pretty decent in a new arena. Maybe they're still working kinks out of the refrigeration system or something.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:47 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Maybe that was Sterling's problem earlier in camp? I don't understand what is actually wrong with it. Is it too soft still? Could be a function of the humidity / weather this time of year in Pittsburgh? You'd think the ice (while it's never going to be what they have up in Edmonton for example) would be pretty decent in a new arena. Maybe they're still working kinks out of the refrigeration system or something.
I don't know what the problem was, at first I thought someone forgot to freeze the pucks the way they were bouncing, but the way guys were going down so much it was clear that it was the ice. At least the team is aware of it as the ice crew was out there a lot more then usual and working on both zones entirely. I know that Consol hosted the Roger Waters concert the night before, so that might have played a bit of a role. Whatever the problem, I hope they correct it fast. It really hampered the gameplay and made it quite a frustrating game to watch.

Also, if I was a Hawks fan I'd be a bit nervous about the goaltending situation. Obviously, both goalies that played don't figure to play many or any games, but they looked like they were fighting the puck pretty bad. If Turco goes down or sucks like he did the last couple years in Dallas, they could find themselves in a pickle.

Old
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

WhyTF don't they schedule concerts at the Igloo the night before games? I hope they don't pull this **** during the regular season. If that's all it is, then whoever handles the scheduling should be clubbed with a nerf bat until they recite the mantra "I will avoid scheduling concerts the night before Penguins Home Games at all costs, master! Please may I have another!"

Old
09-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Get used to it. Before and after. Teams will book the new arenas to maximize revenues.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
JTG

I just hope the ice doesn't suffer every single time there is an event in Consol during hockey season. The ice still doesn't look right. The puck looks like a superball

Old
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
AgentM

Last night was my first game at CEC and I’m loving the building and the team. I can’t wait till my first regular season game against Montreal in 10 days!!! Here are some of my observations on the night:

FORWARDS:
Malkin – Looked like the Geno of two seasons ago, was very happy to see this.

Comrie – Slow but smart. He made heads up plays at both ends, especially clearing pucks in front of our net.

Tangradi – Meh. Goes to the net, which is great. But lost most of his puck battles on the boards and didn’t create anything offensively.

Letestu – Where did this offensive skill come from? Has to be on the team this year.

Sterling – Love the kid’s speed and hustle, but he’s probably too darned small. I’m about his size so I know how that is in sports, I feel for him cause he definitely has skill.

DEFENSEMEN:
Gogo – Looked better than most of last year. Made a few good plays in our end.

Martin – Very confident with the puck and skates well with it.
Despres – Can skate well, big body, willing to hit. Didn’t blow me away in any way but didn’t look out of place at all either.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Power Play – Our players move around now! And this opened them up for shots!!! What a concept!
Penalty Kill – I think every skater participated in our one PK haha

CONSOL:
Seats - I went from Section D10, Row H at Mellon to Section 205, Row K at Consol. I’m a bit further from center ice and I’m a lot higher up than I used to be, but the seats are now looking down on the ice which is great because I get a better view of the other end now.

Lights and Sounds – Not as over the top as I feared, but it sounded like they mic’d up the ice so that you could hear the skating and stick on the puck which was weird. By the 3rd period I either got used to it or they turned it off, I’m not sure which.

Bathrooms – You definitely get through them faster and the water in the sinks is actually warm now!

Concessions – Expensive, but tasty. I had Pulled Pork Nachos from the Smokehouse and a Stella Artois from the Brewhouse which are both located conveniently right behind my seats

Exits – There is a dual stairwell behind Section 208 or 209 that leads you straight outside on the Mellon Arena side of the building and it only took 3 or 4 minutes to get from our seats to outside of the building.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Letestu, Tangradi, and Jeffrey really are making a statement this preseason. The guys look incredible and all deserve a spot on the roster. Jeffrey is young enough to spend another year in WBS, but Letestu and Tangradi are starting to be too good to send back.

Letestu as a 3rd line center would not bother me at all. He should at least be the 4th line center w/ time to play in the top 9 based on faceoff positioning. I see a true gem in Letestu. He's really, really looking good out there.

Bortuzzo is a guy this roster could really utilize as a 6th dman. He is feisty and aggressive on the ice and I really think that 6th spot should go to a rugged warrior like him. He might not be ready, but i don't think it'd be too far off. That being said - I wouldn't mind Lovejoy being out there either but I really hope he pushes people around more often.

My theory - If we are tough to play w/ guys like Cooke, Asham, Talbot, Kunitz, etc... then we need to be tough to play against in the defensive zone too. It should be an overall team identity.

edit: AgentM - Stella @ Console instead of RC COLA?!?!?! How dare you! What would it run you for some nachos and a brew?

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:18 PM

+ Malkin looks really strong. Not just his playing but he looks physically strong. I also think his skating looks cleaner. He's stopping and starting better than ever and that a huge part of a wingers game.

+ He had a tough game but I really like Engelland. You can see the sense is there even though the ability is rough. I think he could end up cleaning up his skating like Scuds and be a very effective player. He seems like one of those players with a good commit level so I think he'll put in the work to get better.

+ I really like Comrie's hockey sense. He always seems open in the slot and that just the type of player Sid and Malkin need.

+ Letestu needs to be on this team. A RH face off man and great all around sense. He kind of reminds me of Stu Barnes.

+ I keep waiting for Desres to have a bad shift to see how he bounces back from it but its just not happening. I still think he needs to come up slowly. (squints at Jags)

- Not much in this game so I'll go with the Pens fans. Leaving early... way to quiet... whats going on over there?

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 08:51 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
edit: AgentM - Stella @ Console instead of RC COLA?!?!?! How dare you! What would it run you for some nachos and a brew?
Haha sorry Cole!! If I remember right the nachos were $8 and the beers start at $7 (for a domestic bottle) and go up $.50 for drafts and a bit more for others. The Stella's were bottles they poured in a cup and were $7 each. The Brewhouse is a full bar and has liquor too. There were a lot of people hanging out by the end of the second period.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
+ Letestu needs to be on this team. A RH face off man and great all around sense. He kind of reminds me of Stu Barnes.
That's pretty much a perfect comparison for Letestu's upside.

Good call, #66.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:07 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
That's pretty much a perfect comparison for Letestu's upside.

Good call, #66.
Yeahhh. There it is. Real good comparison there.