Notices

Abbotsford Heat 2010-2011 Season Thread

Old
01-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
You gotta think he'll be able to crack the lineup next year.
I don't think he will... I think Erixon instantly draws in ahead of him... and unless Erixon is ready to play top 4 then I don't see there being room for Brodie unless the Flames are going to risk an all rookie bottom pairing

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
T.J. Brodie was announced as the Heats lone representative for the AHL All Star game today. I personally was expecting Irving to be named, but good for Brodie.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Bouma has been impressive, he looks to be a good 3rd line player for the Flames in the future and could possibly crack the line up next season.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Just a heads up... Marlies @ Heat is on CBC right now.

Scoreless after the 1st.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I don't think he will... I think Erixon instantly draws in ahead of him... and unless Erixon is ready to play top 4 then I don't see there being room for Brodie unless the Flames are going to risk an all rookie bottom pairing
They could do a pretty even amount of ice time between the 2nd and 3rd pairing, each pairing with a rookie on it. If both guys are ready to go I don't think we should hold one guy back because we don't want too many rookies.

Anyways, was looking at the Abby stats... they must be last in the league in goals because their top points getter has 20 points Don't see anybody who might be ready to make the team next year in a scoring role. Cunning and Mayer have a chance for 4th line/pressbox duty though.

WhereIsIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
They could do a pretty even amount of ice time between the 2nd and 3rd pairing, each pairing with a rookie on it. If both guys are ready to go I don't think we should hold one guy back because we don't want too many rookies.

Anyways, was looking at the Abby stats... they must be last in the league in goals because their top points getter has 20 points Don't see anybody who might be ready to make the team next year in a scoring role. Cunning and Mayer have a chance for 4th line/pressbox duty though.
Meyer has a better chance than Cunning (who I don't think will be back next year)... I do think if we make some moves that Nemisz will have a shot at the 3rd line next year

Old
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Heat @ Moose on CBC right now.

Old
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM
RayLeeCharles

Whats the general consensus about Playfair around these parts?

Last edited by RayLeeCharles: 01-29-2011 at 07:22 AM.
RayLeeCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Whats the general consensus about Playfair around these parts?
I can't speak for anyone else, but Playfair IMO is an NHL coach... he is very technical and would be ideal for a team without alot of offensive talent... he has the lowest scoring AHL team and has them right in the thick of the playoff race even though he has already seen about a dozen bodies play on his blueline due to injuries

Old
01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but Playfair IMO is an NHL coach... he is very technical and would be ideal for a team without alot of offensive talent... he has the lowest scoring AHL team and has them right in the thick of the playoff race even though he has already seen about a dozen bodies play on his blueline due to injuries
this. he has definately evolved since his term as flames head coach.. i think he'd make a good nhl coach

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 01:40 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Heat won their game yesterday 5-4 in a SO over the Texas Stars.

Goals by Brodie, Pelech, Patterson and Bouma.

Irving gets the W.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:32 AM
flames123

Watched Ryan Howse tonight. I can tell you that his defensive game has definitely come a long way. He was one of the go to guys on the PK and he did a great job. Good positionally in the shooting lanes and also athletic on goal mouth scrambles (definitely saved at least one goal). He was nothing special in the offensive zone which was disappointing but he did a great job defensively. Very impressed.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Watched Ryan Howse tonight. I can tell you that his defensive game has definitely come a long way. He was one of the go to guys on the PK and he did a great job. Good positionally in the shooting lanes and also athletic on goal mouth scrambles (definitely saved at least one goal). He was nothing special in the offensive zone which was disappointing but he did a great job defensively. Very impressed.
Uh, I think your in the wrong thread bud. This is about the Heat. Howse is still playing with the Chiliwack Bruins as far as I know.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Uh, I think your in the wrong thread bud. This is about the Heat. Howse is still playing with the Chiliwack Bruins as far as I know.
he just posted in the wrong thread... he's from Kelowna and Howse and his Bruins played there last night... no big deal

Old
02-03-2011, 10:44 AM
FLAMES666

Speaking of Howse though the guy is a -21, looks to me he needs to do a lot of work defensively.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Speaking of Howse though the guy is a -21, looks to me he needs to do a lot of work defensively.
you are judging defensive play on +/-?

by that logic Giordano is our worst defensive player

Old
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
you are judging defensive play on +/-?

by that logic Giordano is our worst defensive player
No but when it gets that low its usually a bad sign of defensive play. Its a team worse to.

Old
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
No but when it gets that low its usually a bad sign of defensive play. Its a team worse to.
watch the team befor eyou judge him on +/-... just because he is on the ice doesn't mean he is responsible for the GA.... +/- is the most flawed stat around

Chilliwack is a bad team... a bad team that happens to have the #3 PP in the WHL... that is a big reason for Howse's +/-... and no one is claiming he is great defensively... just getting better

Old
02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
watch the team befor eyou judge him on +/-... just because he is on the ice doesn't mean he is responsible for the GA.... +/- is the most flawed stat around

Chilliwack is a bad team... a bad team that happens to have the #3 PP in the WHL... that is a big reason for Howse's +/-... and no one is claiming he is great defensively... just getting better
I agree it is a pretty flawed stat, you can get bad luck and when your one of the worst teams you are most likely going to be a minus player. But when your last on the team and in the - 20's there is obviously room for improvement. I know I shouldn't judge but I think Howse has a lot of work to do before he makes the NHL, still seems to one dimensional. A year or two in Abbotsford will teach him a lot.

Old
02-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I agree it is a pretty flawed stat, you can get bad luck and when your one of the worst teams you are most likely going to be a minus player. But when your last on the team and in the - 20's there is obviously room for improvement. I know I shouldn't judge but I think Howse has a lot of work to do before he makes the NHL, still seems to one dimensional. A year or two in Abbotsford will teach him a lot.
I wouldn't suggest any different... I think its good for almost every player to see a year in the AHL, or play at least play a couple year of a very high level in Europe (preferably the top league in Finland or Sweden)

Old
02-05-2011, 05:15 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Heat with a 4-3 SO win over the Chicago Wolves last night.

Goals from Rheault and Meyer (2).

Irving with the W.

Old
02-05-2011, 05:32 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Obviously the wrong thread. I wanted the one below this.

Old
02-05-2011, 05:37 PM
flames123

Quote:

Howse is on the ice for a lot of key defensive draws, at the end of games (empty netters) and plays on the PK. He is on Chilliwacks #1 PK unit. He has made leaps and bounds defensively. He anticipates the play well and get in the shooting lanes and has an active stick in the lanes, taking away passes. Like I said he was athletic diving around to chip the puck out or into the corner out of the slot. I don't think he will be a defensive player by any stretch in the NHL but his coach has enstilled a work ethic in his own zone that many players lack. Even if he isn't the best defensively, he will work hard to improve and work hard to keep the puck out of his own net.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:28 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Heat just finished up a crazy 4 games in 5 nights, winning all 4. Irving playing lights out with 1 goal against in his last 3 games, making 83 saves.
Putting Kotalik down there looks to be helping, still hasn't scored (6 assists in 7 games) but he's taking a ton of shots. I think his second game he fired 10

I would really like our prospects to get some playoff action this year......

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
Heat just finished up a crazy 4 games in 5 nights, winning all 4. Irving playing lights out with 1 goal against in his last 3 games, making 83 saves.
Putting Kotalik down there looks to be helping, still hasn't scored (6 assists in 7 games) but he's taking a ton of shots. I think his second game he fired 10

I would really like our prospects to get some playoff action this year......
the win streak has put them into a tie for 2nd in the division with Hamilton

looking at various stats 2 things stand out to me... the best point per game of anyone that has played more than a handful of games is 0.52, which equates to a 42 point season... and the fact Matt Pelech has 133 PIM in 39 games, #2 is JD Watt with 72 and he is no longer with the team...

so I have to ask, is Pelech playing an enforcer role too?