HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

TSN Mock Draft: Predators Draft Schremp

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2004, 08:38 PM
WuRtZLeSs

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
TSN Mock Draft: Predators Draft Schremp

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=7065

TSN's mock draft has the Predators taking Robbie Schremp - I would be ecstatic if the Predators nabbed him. Some have said Schremp is among the top three most talented in the draft. But, on the other hand - it's said that Schremp has a bit of an attitude problem (which is the only reason he'd fall to begin with).

Personally - I would easily pass on Chipchura for Schremp.

What do you think the likelihood of the Predators nabbing Schremp would be?

Old
06-08-2004, 08:45 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=7065

TSN's mock draft has the Predators taking Robbie Schremp - I would be ecstatic if the Predators nabbed him. Some have said Schremp is among the top three most talented in the draft. But, on the other hand - it's said that Schremp has a bit of an attitude problem (which is the only reason he'd fall to begin with).

Personally - I would easily pass on Chipchura for Schremp.

What do you think the likelihood of the Predators nabbing Schremp would be?
I'd like us to take a reach pick. We haven't really gambled a whole lot on our first rounders. When you take safe picks like Upshall, Hartnell, Suter, you can oftentimes miss out on the best players (Havlat, Hossa, Frolov). We are stable enough in our prospect core that we can afford to take this gamble. We have only one weakness (center) and every problem doesn't have to be solved by the draft. Trades and free agency could do wonders for us.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i would be thrilled if we picked up robbie, and we seem to have an affinity for those american boys(koalska, suter, hall, hutchinson, etc)

Old
06-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I seriously doubt he falls to you guys....

NMK, you a big Modest Mouse fan?

Old
06-08-2004, 09:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow
I seriously doubt he falls to you guys....

NMK, you a big Modest Mouse fan?

if he doesn't, i think chipchura or wolski will...and i'd be happy with any of the three

and yup...one of my all-time favorite bands.

" i was in heaven, i was in hell, believed in neither but feared them as well"

Old
06-09-2004, 12:22 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
if he doesn't, i think chipchura or wolski will...and i'd be happy with any of the three

and yup...one of my all-time favorite bands.

" i was in heaven, i was in hell, believed in neither but feared them as well"
IMO I think Chipchura fits Nashville's needs the best, but thats just my opinion

Old
06-09-2004, 01:23 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Why would Chipchura fill Nashville's needs best?

If the Predators drafted Schremp I think it could be legitimately argued he'd be the Predator's most talented offensive center. That, in my opinion, shows the weakness of the Predators - legitimate offensive skill down the center. The Predators have enough muckers and grinders who can occasionally chip in offensively .. they don't have enough pure offensive talent, and that's exactly what Schremp would provide.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:35 AM
hillbilly

Quote:

If the Predators drafted Schremp I think it could be legitimately argued he'd be the Predator's most talented offensive center. That, in my opinion, shows the weakness of the Predators - legitimate offensive skill down the center. The Predators have enough muckers and grinders who can occasionally chip in offensively .. they don't have enough pure offensive talent, and that's exactly what Schremp would provide.
The Preds would continue to lack any center with size. Schremp all be it rumors might have attitude problems which I don't think the preds want. The Preds will have a talented center next year in Gamache(atleast I think he'll be in Nashville), allthough significantly(sp) less skilled then Schremp probably

Old
06-09-2004, 01:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Johansson, Legwand, even Johnson and Arkhipov...if you haven't noticed, it's not lack of SKILL at the center position. Legwand is the definition of offensive skill, but...actually, hold on just a moment...i JUST finished a post about this, over on the Oil board...

Old
06-09-2004, 01:40 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1481390&postcount=20

yeah, that. read that.

Old
06-09-2004, 02:07 AM
WuRtZLeSs

( Schremp: 5'11" || Chipchura: 6'2" )

Arkhipov: 6'3"
Legwand: 6'2"
Zholtok: 6'2"
Johnson: 5'11"

The Predators certainly have the size, however not the grit. Chipchura would provide the grit, Schremp would not. But Schremp, if he is indeed 5'11" - may easily top out at 6'0" or 6'1".

Whichever player ends up getting drafted (Chipchura more likely then Schremp, I'll admit), if the Pred's do draft a center - chances are that paves the way for Johnson's exodus. In the meantime, Johnson is a decent stop gap until a center can be brought up.

NMK - you're absolutely right, the system is the only reason the Preds centers don't have the numbers to back up their level of talent. I've argued that as well in the past, and I should've explained myself above a little better. That is certainly the reason for the Predator's center numbers. And, perhaps Schremp wouldn't fit here because he would be too vocal about being forced to play nothing but defense.. but nonetheless he would a legitimate second line center - and if pans out, could possibly be neck and neck with Legwand for number one center bragging rights.

Chipchura would certainly bring that grit and would no doubt fit into Trotz's system. Chipchura is the safe pick, but I just don't think you can pass on Schremp if he's available there. The upside is just so much higher. Moot point however, as it's highly unlikely he'll be available at 15th.

I can see the logic in drafting someone like Chipchura to fill the need of a gritty centerman who will play perfectly in Trotz's system .. but I just can't convince myself that he would be worth passing over Schremp for.

Sadly, I probably could've said all I've said above in about 3 sentences, but I came off as a blubbering back-tracking fool and ultimately, it would be a shame to waste the typing .. so I'll post it as is anyway.

Old
06-09-2004, 03:51 AM
D.Legwand

I would love to see Robbie go to the Preds. I am a Wild fan at hart but a big David Legwand fan, so I like my Preds also. I think it would be a great pick if he is there. At the combine he measured 6' or 6'1'' and 200lbs. A soft 200 at that, which could be a good thing since he is playing with this much skill and not in that good of shape. As far as the attitude problems go, who knows, all we ever hear is the other side of the story. People aren't going to take the time to talk to him. He did talk about it at the combine. Plus he is 18 after all. I want Robbie to go to the Wild, but that isn't going to happen. I can see the Rangers at 6 or the Kings at 11 taking him. We can all dream though right?

Old
06-09-2004, 08:05 AM
dulzhok

I will put money down that the Preds won't pick Schremp even if he's available.

Old
06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I will put money down that the Preds won't pick Schremp even if he's available.

If Schremp falls to us, it will be because teams think he is a major, major liability. It would certainly uncharacteristic of the Preds to nab him.

Old
06-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
If Schremp falls to us, it will be because teams think he is a major, major liability. It would certainly uncharacteristic of the Preds to nab him.
Very true, but wasn't last year the first yera for our new director of drafting or what not? Might he not take a chance at Schremp? I think the temptation is always there, and with Legwand looking to be a 45 - 55 pt two second line center.......there is a need for a first line center. I would be pleased with Chipchura as well, but it would be hard to pass up a guy as talented as Robbie with our pick......regardless of supposed attitude issues.

06-09-2004, 01:20 PM
hillbilly

the sad thing is we might not get either

Old
06-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
the sad thing is we might not get either
I disagree. Montoya is a VERY good pick, Smid is an excellent defensemen (although none of us really want to see another dman drafted.......I think he will still be a standout player), Radulov is one of the most skilled players in the draft.....Heck even Wolski (sp) would be a nice pick up.

I think one of those four will be available at our selection IF Chipchura and Schremp are already taken prior to the 15th pick.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I disagree. Montoya is a VERY good pick, Smid is an excellent defensemen (although none of us really want to see another dman drafted.......I think he will still be a standout player), Radulov is one of the most skilled players in the draft.....Heck even Wolski (sp) would be a nice pick up.

I think one of those four will be available at our selection IF Chipchura and Schremp are already taken prior to the 15th pick.
our depth at D is pretty solid, I wouldn't so much mind a goalie I don't guess, but we do have pretty good depth in the system IMO. Center has got to be our weakest position.

Closed Thread