HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames Log Jam on Defense

Old
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
*OvechKiN*

vCash: 500
Flames Log Jam on Defense

The secret is out, TJ Brodie is NHL ready and Matt Pelech was NHL ready a year ago.

Flames Defense:

1) Giordano
2) Bouwmeester
3) Regehr
4) White
5) Sarich
6) Pelech
7) Brodie (AHL)
8) Pardy (AHL???)
9) Staios
10) Kronwall (AHL)

Unfortunately for Brodie, he can be sent down to the AHL and not be lost from waivers. He will most likely be in the AHL for a year and be the No1 defensemen on our farm team. Staffan Kronwall will most likely be stashed in the AHL as well to save his 500K cap hit and be called up if injuries happen. Adam Pardy's situation is up in the air.

Pelech is really a younger and thicker Cory Sarich with improved mobility and offense (albeit, he will never be a 30 pt defensemen). He will not get sent down because there is no way he passes through waivers, so he will stick.

Steve Staios is too expensive to be a No 7-8 defensemen. IMO, he is the odd man out, but he is also the guy with the LEAST value of them all.

Ideally, the Flames basically would need to get rid of 2-3 defensemen, but getting rid of Staios would make us happy alone.. Ideally this year, the Flames D should look like:

Giordano - Sarich
Bouwmeester - Pelech
Regehr - White
Pardy

With Brodie, Negrin, Erixon all developing for another year to make a push next year (I think Pardy is UFA and walks and White is traded).
Brodie will be ready for the NHL for sure next year.

Would the Islanders have use for a veteran leader like Staios on the defense to help bring some leadership and work ethic to the kids? He is not cheap, but he is expiring!
We can add in a bit of value in Moss or/and Pardy if the Isle want. Futures are good enough.....like a 3rd 2011 and 3rd 2012 for Staios + Moss + Pardy.

How do they fix the log jam?

*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista: 7 HR

vCash: 233
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I will give a 2nd for Moss + Pardy

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
isles say no

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 04:43 PM
TOML

Jokinen. Tanguay.

Trading for Staios was also a big headscratcher.

I think Sutter saw who Edmonton just picked up and he also wants a lottery pick.

I dunno if Iginla is willing to go through a rebuild at this point in his career, however.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

We'll take Bouwmeester off of your hands

I wish.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Isles aren't going to give up picks for Staois

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Mr Sakich

Cogliano for Pardy?

He probably starts the year as your #1 centre if Jokinen isn't ready to go.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Do not want Staios.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Cogliano for Pardy?

He probably starts the year as your #1 centre if Jokinen isn't ready to go.
Would love to do that trade.

"He probably starts the year as your #1 centre if Jokinen isn't ready to go."

No he wouldn't Backlund or Stajan would

LightningBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoIginla View Post

I thought Stajan was injured indefinitely too.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Treliving The Dream

Quote:

Stajan is out indefinitely.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer View Post
We'll take Bouwmeester off of your hands

I wish.
i wouldnt want him.. his salary/contract not fit for the ducks, especially with our rookies coming

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅||̲̅̅●̲̅̅|

vCash: 300
The flames are stock on defense

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Crimson Devil*

This is a case of quantity and not quality.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Ementy

yeah, thats not really a log jam, you named 4 AHL players and 6 NHL Dman, seems good to me...1 of those AHL players as the 7th Dman, doesn't seem like an issue at all.

Ementy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
yeah, thats not really a log jam, you named 4 AHL players and 6 NHL Dman, seems good to me...1 of those AHL players as the 7th Dman, doesn't seem like an issue at all.
I understand that you consider Kronwall an AHLer, Staois over the hill and possibly Pardy an AHLer. However Plelech and Brodie which are strong prospects coming up the pipe. Next year Calgary looks to have a few other young defensemen coming up the ranks in Negrin, Erixson, Seabrook, Leach and Deilert. When you have 8 defenseman on one way contracts and a couple of rookies who have earned the right to play you have a log jam.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:21 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:

Stajan is hurt and Backlund would have to fight pretty hard with Cogs

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
I really wish my fellow Flames fans would calm down.... as our rival Nuck fans learned last preseason, fantastic in the preseason does not always equal fantastic in the regular season....

With all the injuries we have, the Flames can afford cap wise to keep everybody up. Brodie will get his nine games in, and if he falters, he'll be sent down. If he continues to excel, then we can worry about having a "log jam". Even then, its nice to have depth in case of injuries.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 06:57 PM
KipperFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I really wish my fellow Flames fans would calm down.... as our rival Nuck fans learned last preseason, fantastic in the preseason does not always equal fantastic in the regular season....

With all the injuries we have, the Flames can afford cap wise to keep everybody up. Brodie will get his nine games in, and if he falters, he'll be sent down. If he continues to excel, then we can worry about having a "log jam". Even then, its nice to have depth in case of injuries.
For now, but once Stajan or Langkow, or both are back, we're over the cap regardless. We're not going to carry 10 NHL d-men (Brodie, Pelech, Pardy, Staios, Sarich, Kronwall, Regehr, Bouwmeester, Giordano, White).

Pelech would have to clear waivers if he were to be assigned to the AHL - that won't happen. He won't get sent to the AHL simply because he won't clear waivers, and the Flames won't lose him for nothing.

Brodie is showing he's ready, and will more than likely be on the team.

Then 8 one-way contracts, the only player realistically who may get waived/sent to the minors is Kronwall.

Staios could possibly get placed on waivers, but it's unlikely.

A trade or two will happen, it's just the reality of the situation. Both because of the # d-men we have, and the salary cap situation we're in.

KipperFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFlash View Post
For now, but once Stajan or Langkow, or both are back, we're over the cap regardless. We're not going to carry 10 NHL d-men (Brodie, Pelech, Pardy, Staios, Sarich, Kronwall, Regehr, Bouwmeester, Giordano, White).

Pelech would have to clear waivers if he were to be assigned to the AHL - that won't happen. He won't get sent to the AHL simply because he won't clear waivers, and the Flames won't lose him for nothing.

Brodie is showing he's ready, and will more than likely be on the team.

Then 8 one-way contracts, the only player realistically who may get waived/sent to the minors is Kronwall.

Staios could possibly get placed on waivers, but it's unlikely.

A trade or two will happen, it's just the reality of the situation. Both because of the # d-men we have, and the salary cap situation we're in.
You completely missed my point... I said we don't have a problem for a while. There is a significant chance that Brodie may not continue with this hot streak and will be sent down before nine games is up. Kronwall will be sent down or sent to Europe.

Either one of Pelech or Pardy will be waived, and I'm not sold that either of them would be picked up. Its possible, but its far from guaranteed. Its not like they have much trade value either.

As it stands at this point and time, there is no problem. Until our injured players come back, we are perfectly fine. Stajan is out indefinitely, Langkow isn't even cleared for contact yet. Cap space is not an issue. If Sutter thinks the team will be better with Brodie on the team, he will be on the team. Simple. He will find a way to make it work.

Old
09-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Cephalusc

I see the defense core as Bouwmeester, White, Regehr and Giordano. That is one of the better top 4's in the league. I'd like to see the remaining 2 spots go to Sarich and Pelech. Brodie will probably be assigned to the AHL, since it would be bad asset management to waive Pelech, and Sarich is still a solid defenseman. Kronwall is definatly going to the AHL (no question at all). Hopefully Staios is traded, or assigned to the Heat... same with Pardy. No one will pick up either.

The first injury, Brodie will get called up. Sarich and Pelech are both injury prone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Jokinen. Tanguay.

Trading for Staios was also a big headscratcher.

I think Sutter saw who Edmonton just picked up and he also wants a lottery pick.

I dunno if Iginla is willing to go through a rebuild at this point in his career, however.
How did you manage to take a thread about the Flames defense, and turn it into Iginla not wanting to rebuild? You started by mentioning two forwards, then went to a trade, then went to Sutter wanting a lottery pick, and then a random comment about Iginla. No mention of anything remotely on topic. I know you are trying to troll, but it was just a terrible attempt. It didn't even make sense.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
This is a case of quantity and not quality.
Oh ya, Giordano, Bouwmeester, White, Regehr, Sarich, no quality there at all. Or a guy like Pelech being the 6th d. Wow, people need to learn about other teams before making such stupid comments.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
Oh ya, Giordano, Bouwmeester, White, Regehr, Sarich, no quality there at all. Or a guy like Pelech being the 6th d. Wow, people need to learn about other teams before making such stupid comments.
In my more than slightly biased opinion, Bouwmeester and Regehr are top pairing guys. White, Giordano and Sarich are top four. Throw in Staios, Pelech, Pardy and Brodie all seeming to be capable bottom pairing guys (except maybe Staois.... what a step back over the summer. ) we are more than set on defense.

Some people will disagree on Sarich being top four, but I love having this guy on the team. He eats up nearly 16 minutes a night, which may not seem like much, but is top four in my mind.

Even if you disagree with Sarich, we still have two top pairing guys, two second pairing and a crap ton of third pairing guys. Our defense is solid. Its just popular opinion on HF to laugh at the Flames.

Old
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
JurassicTunga

Staios for a 7th round pick

JurassicTunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Really? I'd say top-5 in the league (in terms of points) is pretty good.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote