HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames Log Jam on Defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
  #51
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Start a thread... 'value of Boumweester'

I think you will be surprised.
won't be surprised at all... people focus more on his 3 goals than the fact he stepped his game up defensively... and contrary to popular HF belief Bouwmeester was brought in for his defensive ability

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
  #52
*OvechKiN*
Registered User
 
*OvechKiN*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Jay Bouwmeester will increase his offensive production this year without question.
He was told to play defensive last year and he did it. Shortly after Phaneuf was traded, you could tell that he was given the green light to rush the puck again.
This offseason, we've also heard that he will be more offensive, as will the whole team.

I don't think there is any question at all about Bouwmeester's defensive play, skating or puck moving as they were all top notch last year. This year he will bring his offense back up to a minimum of 35 pts while playing top notch defense again.

*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
  #53
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Start a thread... 'value of Boumweester'

I think you will be surprised.
Yes because HFBoards can find the value of Jay Boumweester.

He is so underrated now, it's disgusting.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:02 PM
  #54
FrankM73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Quick question to the Flames fans on here.

What's your assessment of Regehr? is he worth his 4.020 mil for the next 3 years?

and if not, what would your team need back in a trade? caps space? young players? picks? is there a particular forward position lacking?

Thanks ahead of time!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
  #55
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the problem being you are looking at overall Ice-time... which really isn't an accurate way to judge whether a player player top 4 minutes... I think you have to look more at ES and PK time to judge the top 4... because some guys just aren't suited for the PP... and that is the case with Sarich... if you look at his ES and PK time in comparision to other guys and he looks much more like a top 4 defenseman
I wasn't talking about Sarich per say with respect to icetimes (tough to make a call considering the Flames have a couple of guys that eat-up a ton of icetime & that has to figure in the icetimes of other players).

Just wondering, who are these other comparable players?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:05 PM
  #56
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Yes because HFBoards can find the value of Jay Boumweester.

He is so underrated now, it's disgusting.
I really don't see him as being "under-rated" at all, if anything I think he's been exposed for what he really was all along and that, is as a good but not great Dman. He was vastly over-rated by many for some reason when he was in Florida, I've always seen him as a guy who was a very good generalist who has above average skating ability, not the all world elite type, #1 guy. IMCO he's always been a Tonto who needed a Lone Ranger

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:13 PM
  #57
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Yes because HFBoards can find the value of Jay Boumweester.

He is so underrated now, it's disgusting.
Just to me or HF boards in general?

I watched him play well over 40 games last season and no way on earth is he worth 7 million dollars over the next three seasons. At an actual cap hit of 7 million, it's not even close. That is a brutal contract, plain and simple. How could anyone argue otherwise?

I will watch him again at least another 40 games this upcoming season. If he proves me wrong, I will come back a state that his play proves deserving of his pay.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
  #58
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Quick question to the Flames fans on here.

What's your assessment of Regehr? is he worth his 4.020 mil for the next 3 years?

and if not, what would your team need back in a trade? caps space? young players? picks? is there a particular forward position lacking?

Thanks ahead of time!
Regehr brings considerably more to the table than any other defenceman currently signign for that amount. He is a solid #2/3 guy.

No way he gets traded unless for a valuable young prospect or part of a package for a first line forward.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:41 PM
  #59
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I wasn't talking about Sarich per say with respect to icetimes (tough to make a call considering the Flames have a couple of guys that eat-up a ton of icetime & that has to figure in the icetimes of other players).

Just wondering, who are these other comparable players?
I meant in comparision to other #4 defenseman because thats what Sarich is

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
  #60
CorsiCounter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Just to me or HF boards in general?

I watched him play well over 40 games last season and no way on earth is he worth 7 million dollars over the next three seasons. At an actual cap hit of 7 million, it's not even close. That is a brutal contract, plain and simple. How could anyone argue otherwise?

I will watch him again at least another 40 games this upcoming season. If he proves me wrong, I will come back a state that his play proves deserving of his pay.
His play will never likely justify that salary. The Flames had to pay him that much due to that whole free agency thing. If not the Flames, someone else would have.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:49 PM
  #61
Cephalusc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Quick question to the Flames fans on here.

What's your assessment of Regehr? is he worth his 4.020 mil for the next 3 years?

and if not, what would your team need back in a trade? caps space? young players? picks? is there a particular forward position lacking?

Thanks ahead of time!
It's hard to answer that question for any player, it's not possible to see three years out. I can tell you though that he is worth it this season.

I don't think Sutter will make him available right now. We'd need a good defenseman back, since no one can step into his role as of now. White or Sarich probably are available though.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:52 PM
  #62
Canuckle
West Coast Express
 
Canuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,986
vCash: 500
I don't see any log jam. Now Vancouver on the other hand...

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:08 PM
  #63
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I meant in comparision to other #4 defenseman
Just took a quick look at all of the teams in the Western Conference and the #4 guy (in terms of ES & PK) time was - with a few exceptions - 18 to 19 minutes of icetime per game.

Again, it seems to me 16 minutes of ES & PK icetime a bit low - but I did say the Flames situation is a bit different.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:20 PM
  #64
Rob Zepp
Registered User
 
Rob Zepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,991
vCash: 500
Sutter would put a few of the "insanity pending" watchers on hold if he was to deftly exchange some of these excess D-players into forwards with a nose for the net. If he was able to do that, people might be able to say "Darryl Sutter" and "GM" in the same sentence again without holding their nose and/or laughing.

From a strange sense of not wanting to watch the trainwreck, I hope DS pulls this one out and makes a move the defies all of his recent moves (e.g. helps).

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
  #65
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Just took a quick look at all of the teams in the Western Conference and the #4 guy (in terms of ES & PK) time was - with a few exceptions - 18 to 19 minutes of icetime per game.

Again, it seems to me 16 minutes of ES & PK icetime a bit low - but I did say the Flames situation is a bit different.
any team with a horse like Bouwmeester or Phaneuf is alot different in terms of ice-time... in fact in both 08/09 and 09/10 the Flames only had 2 guys in each season avg more than 20 minutes at ES & PK

so I highly doubt 20+ minutes at just ES & PK is as common as you make it out to be

edit just saw you put 18-19, my bad... but Sarich was in that range in 08/09... his icetime this past season was limited due to on going foot problems

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:02 AM
  #66
fischy13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
TJ Brodie is getting seriously overhyped by Flames fans. NHL ready? I highly doubt it, his 2 goals (the one last night went through the mesh so IMO it doesn't count), both on the PP and no helpers... he doesn't hit and doesn't have the ability to play the PK... and then comes his size... the kid is 170lbs soaking wet, against the Getzlaf's of the west he is going to be thrown around... sure he has been impressive so far... but not impressive enough to move a 1 way contract to make room for him... give him a year in the AHL aand see how he does playing a quicker and more physical professional game.

As for what the Flames will do, I am in the minority in thinking they won't do much of anything... with Langkow likely to start on LTIR and maybe even stajan too (depending on the severity of the seperation) we aren't in cap trouble anymore... and with it being forward dropping like flies I see Sutter keeping 8 defensemen on the roster with Brodie and maybe Kronwall (if he doesn't go back to Sweden) going to Abbotsford
I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what will happen. Sutter stated the other night in the 2nd intermission of the Yotes game, that he intends on carrying 8 d-men. With Kronwall waived yesterday, and like you say, Brodie has 2 goals and is 170 lbs, there is no way you throw a 1 way contract away to keep him up when he can come and go with no risk. The d-men will be:

J-Bo and Gio
Reggie and White
Sarich and Staios
ex
Pelech and Pardy

Once guys start comming back from injury, I wouldn't be suprised to see Staios moved if there are any takers, likely not, then Pardy will be shopped.

fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
  #67
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
They're in a bit of a mess right now. The Staios trade was mind-boggling to me - partly because of his salary, partly because he's not that great any more and partly because defense is the Flames biggest asset by far in the minors.

Now they're stuck with an NHL-ready Pelech and a possibly NHL-ready Brodie, but nowhere to really play them.

Something has to give. I have a feeling they'll let White walk at the end of the year and re-sign Giordano, but that doesn't help them this season.

They need to get rid of Sarich and/or Staios. I'd like to see them keep Sarich as he's looked better and better since coming back from his injury, but I'm not sure they can afford to keep him.

EDIT: For the record I think Brodie will be better off in the AHL for this year. He needs ice team - which he won't get if he sticks in the NHL. Next year the Flames will have Brodie and likely Erixon to worry about. Possibly Negrin as well. They really need to make some deals and trade decent D prospects for some forwards.

madmike77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:25 AM
  #68
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
How so? Hes getting paid like a super star. Do you actually think Bouwmeester is anywhere near being a star player?

I wonder what teams would be willing to part with to acquire him in a trade. I actually wonder if he would clear waivers. Who has the cap space for that contract? It's an honest question.
It's a poor value contract, but the problem is he's still the top defenceman on the team and he plays a ton of minutes. The Flames can't replace him, therefore he won't be dealt.

madmike77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
  #69
The Big Jankowski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Why not move White now for an asset up-front?

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
  #70
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster3 View Post
Why not move White now for an asset up-front?
I wouldn't object to that. It all depends on what they could get back. I think Sarich is perfectly capable of a top-4 role, so I'd be willing to move one of the top-4.

It's tough to make trades at this time of year because of the cap. The Flames may be better to wait a bit and see how things play out - both with their own team and others.

madmike77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
  #71
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster3 View Post
Why not move White now for an asset up-front?
Flames need an improvement in their offense over last season to qualify for the post-season. Dealing White wouldn't help them in that regard (over say, dealing a more defensive minded defenseman) IMHO.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
  #72
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
I don't see any log jam. Now Vancouver on the other hand...
Yeah Vancouver really needs to make room to get Nycholat, Rome, O'Brien, and Alberts the ice time they deserve

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
  #73
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
I don't see any log jam. Now Vancouver on the other hand...
Its the type of log jam that takes a plunger to fix...the Flames have some kids who impressed in camp, that doesn't make them NHL'ers at this point.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
  #74
GaryTheGreatRoberts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
I hate Stajan soo much why did we sign a third line center for soo much now we got another useless player with a big salary that we'll never get rid of


Last edited by Majik1987: 10-02-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: filter circumvention
GaryTheGreatRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
  #75
CorsiCounter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3000gt View Post
I hate Stajan soo much why did we sign a third line center for soo much now we got another useless player with a big salary that we'll never get rid of
Maybe you could try to form your own opinions of the players rather then just repeat what the idiotic Leafs fans were saying about Stajan?

I'd say given Stajan's performance last year he has the potential to be a great second line center. Especially at that salary and likely being paired with Hagman and Bourque.


Last edited by Majik1987: 10-02-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: qe
CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.