HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carman and Shattenkirk to Lake Erie

Old
09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
Carman and Shattenkirk to Lake Erie

http://twitter.com/adater

So it's look like it's down to Holos and Cohen for that 7th d-man spot.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
http://twitter.com/adater

So it's look like it's down to Holos and Cohen for that 7th d-man spot.
Umm, where does it say that?

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaward View Post
Here it does
http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538990

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
On Dater's first twitter post. If for some reason you can't see it, I saw this from Dater in my Twitter feed as well so OP is legit.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Top 6 minutes in the AHL is much better than bottom 3 minutes in the NHL. I see huge season from both players!

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
jaisen73

Kinda bummed. I'm going to Frozen Fury and I was hoping to see Shattenkirk since it's been 3 years since his draft, he was a 1st rounder, etc.

Still, it'll be good to see Holos or Cohen, as I imagine one or both will be in the line up.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Dater's been saying 90% chance Holos gets the job, as Dater thinks Holos is more well rounded and experienced than Cohen. Can't say I disagree, but it'd be nice to have Cohen on the squad for that big shot from the point, plus we could use a bit more size on the blueline too

Old
09-29-2010, 12:03 PM
chewey
dmitri

Cohen is gonna jump up a few spots in rankings now.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

I think I remember seeing in my twitter feed Dater saying it's possibly Wilson gets sent back to AHL and then there'd be a #6 and #7 D spots open (which we now know would go to Holos and Cohen). Since they haven't been televising the games, I've had no way of really watching much of anything, let alone keeping an eye on Wilson. So anyone who's gotten to see a game or two this year (presumably in person)... Has Wilson really been that off?

EDIT: My bad, went back to look and Dater said:

Quote:
I think Holos might even make Ryan Wilson either expendable or a healthy scratch this year. Wilson not playing much so far this camp
But if he's not going to play much, assuming he isn't traded (because in Dater's mind he could become "expendable"), why not send him to the AHL so maybe he can get a lot of playing time to tune himself back up to being the Wilson we saw last year (pre-injuries)? He's still on a 2 way deal, isn't he?

Last edited by Jimmy Carter: 09-29-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Seaward*

Wilson didnt play last night and frankly, I cant rememeber hearing his name much at all.

I would rather have Holos or Cohen over Wilson.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJimmyCarterC View Post
On Dater's first twitter post. If for some reason you can't see it, I saw this from Dater in my Twitter feed as well so OP is legit.
Weird, it only showed his posts from last night when I clicked the link. Then I signed into my twitter and it showed there.

Sorry about that.

Old
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
hughdreamz

Well there will be injuries and other issues, so probably during some point this season we will see Shattenkirk

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
I think I remember seeing in my twitter feed Dater saying it's possibly Wilson gets sent back to AHL and then there'd be a #6 and #7 D spots open (which we now know would go to Holos and Cohen). Since they haven't been televising the games, I've had no way of really watching much of anything, let alone keeping an eye on Wilson. So anyone who's gotten to see a game or two this year (presumably in person)... Has Wilson really been that off?

EDIT: My bad, went back to look and Dater said:

But if he's not going to play much, assuming he isn't traded (because in Dater's mind he could become "expendable"), why not send him to the AHL so maybe he can get a lot of playing time to tune himself back up to being the Wilson we saw last year (pre-injuries)? He's still on a 2 way deal, isn't he?
The bigger issue over a 2 way deal is waiver eligibility, and Wilson is not yet eligible. I think there could be a strong chance he starts in LE too.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Wilson didnt play last night and frankly, I cant rememeber hearing his name much at all.

I would rather have Holos or Cohen over Wilson.
But have you seen Wilson play any of the pre-season games. I mean, it seems like he's fallen out of the good graces of Sacco, but I've only really heard Dater say anything about him not playing well so just looking for second "eye-witness" to confirm Dater's claims before I am ready to write Wilson off for the start of the season

But with the situation we're in now, if Wilson isn't playing great shut down D, I agree with you that I'd rather have one or both of Holos and Cohen up there. Even if Wilson is hitting well, we need the positional D more right now than someone throwing out giant hits. Besides, Footer and Hannan do both positional D and hitting, and I think Quincey could step up and throw some nice hits too... Remember him putting Stamkos into his own bench last year? Pure gold hahaha

Old
09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Freaky Styley

is Cohen right handed? I think the best shot he has at sticking with the team is if he uses his size and get's a shot in Mueller's spot on the PP.. i hope they keep him up for a little bit, I really want to see him play

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
NWAvsFan

Well done Avs. They resisted the pressure to push their top prospect to play in the bigs even though he had a fairly nice preseason. This is the best thing for him and for the team. I wish I could see Holos play some. I like what I am hearing about him now that the comparison is to our other prospects and other teams preseason lineups. Cohen is not surprising to me. He may still be sent down but I stated before that I thought the distance between his game and Shatty's was less than the majority thought.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Well there will be injuries and other issues, so probably during some point this season we will see Shattenkirk
Probably. If any one of Liles, Cumiskey, or Holos/Cohen go down he's no doubt the 1st call up. If it's Quincey, then I guess it depends on how big a part of the blue line's offense he's been that would determine Shatty getting the nod. If it's Foote, Hannan, or Wilson, I'd rather have a more defensive guy step up (with the potential of Wilson starting in the AHL, he could be the call up for Foote or Hannan). Then again, this is all based on performance so far. Who knows, by November/December Shatty might be finding his defensive stride, which would put him in position to be the first call up no matter who goes down on the blueline

Old
09-29-2010, 12:59 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdreamz View Post
Yup. When Liles or Cumiskey go down, Captain Kirk will be the first call up.

This is pretty much what I predicted. It isn't because he is less talented, but he has more to learn at a professional level than Holos. I am surprised with how well Cohen is doing. I haven't got to see much of him, but had heard he was a defensive liability.........guess not.

Future looks brights.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Well done Avs. They resisted the pressure to push their top prospect to play in the bigs even though he had a fairly nice preseason. This is the best thing for him and for the team. I wish I could see Holos play some. I like what I am hearing about him now that the comparison is to our other prospects and other teams preseason lineups. Cohen is not surprising to me. He may still be sent down but I stated before that I thought the distance between his game and Shatty's was less than the majority thought.
Me too. Only time I saw him play was at the Olympics. He was a tank there though, I got really excited when I found out he was an Avs' prospect

Unless he's regressed since then, and it sounds like he really hasn't, I think he'll be able to hold his own. Competition will be slightly less fierce then the top Olympic teams and I think he handled USA (I think that's who I saw play him) pretty well.

Old
09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Any word on how Carman looked in the preseason? He was an exciting player his first couple years at Minnesota, but then his game seemed to stall/regress. I'm glad that he stuck as long as he did, he's a pretty defensively responsible kid. I'm also impressed that Olver is still around.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Probably. If any one of Liles, Cumiskey, or Holos/Cohen go down he's no doubt the 1st call up. If it's Quincey, then I guess it depends on how big a part of the blue line's offense he's been that would determine Shatty getting the nod. If it's Foote, Hannan, or Wilson, I'd rather have a more defensive guy step up (with the potential of Wilson starting in the AHL, he could be the call up for Foote or Hannan). Then again, this is all based on performance so far. Who knows, by November/December Shatty might be finding his defensive stride, which would put him in position to be the first call up no matter who goes down on the blueline
Let's not forget Gaunce as well for the first call up. If he has a good start with LEM he could be a better replacement for Foote/Hannan/Quincey type player.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Seaward*

Is it fair to say, Shattenkirk = Bust?

Old
09-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Is it fair to say, Shattenkirk = Bust?
Please tell me youre joking? There are a lot of players in the draft year that still dont have a roster spot. lol way to early.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Let's not forget Gaunce as well for the first call up. If he has a good start with LEM he could be a better replacement for Foote/Hannan/Quincey type player.
True, I forgot about him. If he does well he could even beat out Wilson for a call up if Wilson gets sent down and doesn't improve much. I think Quincey would be the only toss up since he is more of a two way guy than leaning far to PMD or shut down D. I think if Quincey goes down it'll depend on how much offense they lose from losing him. If he's been playing more shut down style and not contributing too much on offense I think it goes to Gaunce. If it's reversed, I think it goes to Shattenkirk. If Quincey's been doing both about equally, then I have no clue lol. Then again, I could be completely wrong about everything hahaha

Old
09-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Please tell me youre joking? There are a lot of players in the draft year that still dont have a roster spot. lol way to early.
Well, to be clear. I am.

And I never stated that as my opinion just a question with a really easy answer.

That answer would be: No, he is not a bust. He is flat.