HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Clowe and/or Couture and/or Greiss for 2 top 4 defensemen

Old
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
luiginb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Calgary laughs at the first one. Second one, Couture is an interest, but not worth more than Regehr to us, so us adding is highly unlikely.
He is now, with your injuries. Clowe you don't really need, I'll give you that, he's basically Bourque.

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Show me a team that has two legitimate top four defensemen available in trade, at attractive ages, with attractive cap hits. Go ahead. I double dog dare you. You can't do it.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
luiginb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Show me a team that has two legitimate top four defensemen available in trade, at attractive ages, with attractive cap hits. Go ahead. I double dog dare you. You can't do it.
Come on, I already did. Give a young center with top line potential, and a 1st rounder to Calgary and they will move Regehr and White. They have enough defensemen, and a plethora of good defensive prospects.

However, with Souray available for 2.7, I'd sign him, and I think DW is also considering it.

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by luiginb View Post
Come on, I already did. Give a young center with top line potential, and a 1st rounder to Calgary and they will move Regehr and White. They have enough defensemen, and a plethora of good defensive prospects.

However, with Souray available for 2.7, I'd sign him, and I think DW is also considering it.

Quote:
He is now, with your injuries. Clowe you don't really need, I'll give you that, he's basically Bourque.
Jokinen is day to day. Backlund can fill in the second line center job just fine. Moss is playing center on the third line with has looked good. Conroy or Sutter has the fourth line job just fine.

Losing Regehr for a need that we DON'T have seems pointless to me, let alone trading White AND Regehr. Thats a HUGE blow to our defense. We may have lots of good prospective D, but NONE of them are even CLOSE to doing 20+ minutes a night.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:

In your mind, they might move Regehr and White, maybe. I think you'll find the Flames far less willing to part with both of them. Teams with aspirations don't shed vets and plug in youth.

It's easy enough to throw out two names off a team and simply opine that the club will not mind moving them, should I offer them something else they need. I think you'll find that Calgary is rather more attached than that to these players. One might be moved, but both at once? That places a ton of responsibility on youth.

Souray is not yet available on re-entry waivers. He has simply been waived once.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:26 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Souray is not yet available on re-entry waivers. He has simply been waived once.
He was just waived again, although the Sharks are low on the list for being ale to acquire them if they wanted him.

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Ludicrous Speed

lol. 2 top 4 defensemen. those are hard enough to come by as it is, no one gives two of them out for a 2nd/3rd liner, a good prospect, and a backup.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Afro Thunder*

Kuba for Clowe straight up.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
blankall

Sarich for Clowe.

If SJ wants another defenceman from Calgary, they could offer a very good offensive prospect or one of our very good defensive prospects.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
gabeliscious

beauch for clowe?

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Colin White and Bryce Salvador are both available for cheap. They can both play a top 4 role.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

We already got Lilja and the biggest prize of the free Agent market in Wallin completing our trio of excellence in Wallin, Huskins, and Lilja.

Seriously though just chillax and wait for the trade deadline or just next year.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
true. just sucks that the sharks havent played this right. they have a little over 1 million in cap space. if i were them. i would trade nitty, griess is fully capable of backing up niemi and cheaper. ideally i would dump wallin, and trade nitty and huskins and a pick for a top 4 dman. someone more mobile then wallin. and pick up souray at 2.7 million. by getting rid of wallin nitty and huskins we would have 7.3 in cap space. get souray at 2.7, leaving 4.6 for another defensemen, which i think we could aquire through nitty, huskins, and a 1st maybe. who knows. we might not even have to spend 4.6, we can leave some cap space for trade deadline. its doable. those are 3 players we could do without. if only wallin didnt have the ntc. but we could aquire 2 dmen that way w/o hurting our roster.
I think we could've been fine if he had NOT signed Nitty. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Niemi relieved of his RFA standing around the time we signed Nitty? I think we could've waited a couple more days and signed Niemi. SURE if we didn't get Niemi then maybe it could've backfired on us.

If we didn't resign Huskins we wouldn't have to trade his pathetic butt. I still don't see why DW signed a guy that hadn't played a second with our team (why we traded for him in the first place is an epic facepalm)

I would love Souray but I don't know if he can stay healthy. When a person has been injured as many times as Souray. (since 2000 he's averaged 50 games/year 19, 52, 34, 63, 39, 75, 81, 26, 81, 37) after suffering a several serious injuries being (Concussion, wrist/hand injuries, back, and shoulder). If he can put it together maybe we can get him at the deadline or in the off season. I'd prefer Regher because we need a defensive guy more than an offensive guy.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:20 PM
matt trick

Before moving Clowe or Couture or even McGinn, I'd first call around and see if any of the the following are available for a package including any of our prospects, 1st, 2nd or 3rd:

Columbus:
Hejda
Tyutin
Klesla
They have those three+ Commodore, Russel, Methot, Stralman, Clitsome, Moore, and Goloubef. They're going to move at least one in the next two years, and two is a fair bet, and we could use pretty much all of them but Commodore.

Toronto:
Beauchmein
Assuming Kaberle re-signs, he Phaneuf, Komisarek, Beauchmein, Schenn, Gunnarsson, Lebda is a lot of money locked up in defense. They'd prefer a top 6 forward, but I would be surprised if someone moved one for Beau.

Calgary:
White
Giordano
Impending UFAs on a team with cap problems. I think the Flames will attempt to sign them, but if they can't get it done (note saying the won't), picks, prospects, or an upgrade at forward is what they'd want, but I don't think they'll get the upgrade.

NYI:
Wisniewski
They are going to tank with the injuries to Streit and Okposo. I think they want him, and he is willing to stay, but I hardly call it a guarantee. For a re-building team, yet another 1st or quality prospect could make it worthwhile.

St. Louis
Brewer
Polak
Jackman

Brewer is the best fit for San Jose's needs, and most likely to be available, but I wouldn't move a quality roster asset for him- and there is a good chance that is what St. Louis would want.

Dallas:
Daley- Larsson may push him out and as a UFA he could want more than they want to spend. Again no guarantee but a possibility.

Philly:
Coburn
Carle
Mesarzos
Maybe we get lucky and they want to move one of the above for Greiss/Nittymaki/Niemi+, I doubt it, but there is a small chance.

Buffalo:
Sekera
Butler
Myers, Rivet, Leopold, Morrison, Montador, Sekera, Butler, Gragani, Weber is a lot of defensive depth, and captaincy and recent re-signings likely make the others less available than those two.

Colorado:
Liles
They were rumors he was available at the deadline, if true, he'd be a solid fit.

San Jose's forwards are its strength and its defense a clear weakness. However, that doesn't mean a team that is win now mode can use one to fix the other. If San Jose wants to improve the defense, it has to come through trades of picks and prospects- which while not an elite group has plenty of good players (Petrecki, Doherty, Wrenn, Greiss, Ferrerio, Wingels, Mashinter, Coyle, Stalock, Sateri, Daniels, ect.)

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:21 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Clowe is nothing like Bourque.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Calgary laughs at the first one. Second one, Couture is an interest, but not worth more than Regehr to us, so us adding is highly unlikely.
Concur.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:43 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
lol. 2 top 4 defensemen. those are hard enough to come by as it is, no one gives two of them out for a 2nd/3rd liner, a good prospect, and a backup.
Agreed.
Rosi + Girardi are available; SJ doesn't need to overpay, but a #1 for both is not unreasonable.

Old
09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
We don't need Girardi, Rosi, or Redden. Clowe + 3rd for Regehr I'd do. Or Couture for Regehr and a 3rd.

@ Rick Bobby, we'd waive Wallin/Huskins if we got our 2 top 4 Ds.
Don't make me channel my inner cousin Vinnie, and ask "Are You Sure..".

If you can't get a better fit, Rosi + Girardi for a 1 + Clowe (+/- whatever mutually may be needed for cap) is worthwhile.

Old
09-30-2010, 05:54 PM
skywarp75

Bieksa and a 2nd for nothing in return. Please just take him away.

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Laterade

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp75 View Post
Bieksa and a 2nd for nothing in return. Please just take him away.
Bieksa has the same trade value as a monkey with aids.

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
Bieksa has the same trade value as a monkey with aids.
HEY......Where can I see a monkey playing hockey? Youtube?

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
We don't need Girardi, Rosi, or Redden.
Gilroy & Eminger?

We got more

Neither are a top 4, but they're NHL defensemen, well more on the offensive side, they both kinda struggle on the defense.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The Sharks are not trading Clowe or Couture for the top four d-man. End of story. Their one true strength is their group of forwards and taking away from that to only partially address their mess on the blue line isn't at all smart. If they make the add, it will be someone's dump for a dump of their own...like Bieksa for Huskins plus whatever or Souray on re-entry.

If the Sharks wanted to move Clowe or Couture, they would've already done so this off-season. It's not happening.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Before moving Clowe or Couture or even McGinn, I'd first call around and see if any of the the following are available for a package including any of our prospects, 1st, 2nd or 3rd:

Columbus:
Hejda
Tyutin
Klesla
They have those three+ Commodore, Russel, Methot, Stralman, Clitsome, Moore, and Goloubef. They're going to move at least one in the next two years, and two is a fair bet, and we could use pretty much all of them but Commodore.
I'm not opposed to trading away any of those guys, but not for pieces that don't fill any needs such as Clowe or Greiss. Couture would be great to have, but I wouldn't trade him for Hejda, Klesla, or Tyutin if I was SJ. And as of right now, we need good defensemen before we need good forwards, our top 6 is already a logjam.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The Sharks are not trading Clowe or Couture for the top four d-man. End of story. Their one true strength is their group of forwards and taking away from that to only partially address their mess on the blue line isn't at all smart. If they make the add, it will be someone's dump for a dump of their own...like Bieksa for Huskins plus whatever or Souray on re-entry.

If the Sharks wanted to move Clowe or Couture, they would've already done so this off-season. It's not happening.
Then they aren't getting a top 4 d-man, likely.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote