HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dallas to clean house

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Dallas to clean house

At least, if you listen to some of the media hounds lately. It sure sounds like the vultures are circling in Dallas right now, as no doubt owner Hicks and GM Armstrong cannot be pleased with the season they just had, especially considering their terrible performance against the Colorado Avalanche in the playoffs.

On HNIC's Hotstove, all of the hockey gurus.. oh, and Al Strachan.. agreed that Dallas will be trying to move Guerin, could refuse to qualify Arnott, and go with the youngsters. In particular, Florida was mentioned as it's believed Mike Keenan will be able to coerce owner Cohen into spending some dough to improve the grit on the Cats forwards.

Michael Russo in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel reported:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spector's Trade Rumours
FT. LAUDERDALE SUN-SENTINEL: Michael Russo reports there are bets being made as to which players new Florida Panthers GM Mike Keenan will trade. The most popular names include Kristian Huselius, Matt Cullen (who wasn't going to be requalified anyway under the previous management), Niklas Hagman, Stephen Weiss and Mikael Samuelsson. Keenan says he'll start calling his fellow GMs next week to determine which players may be available before the draft weekend and the July first UFA deadline. There's speculation he's interested in Dallas Stars forward Bill Guerin, but even if the Stars were to pick up a portion of his salary, Guerin might still be too expensive for the Panthers.
It seems to me that when there is smoke, there is fire. We've heard Guerin in the past was a favorite to be moved, but his contract has always been a sticking point. Still, I imagine that the Panthers and maybe even one or two other teams out there would still be interested in him if the Stars were willing to eat some cash.

But how about Arnott? This is something that hasn't come up much on this board it seems, but is it possible that the Stars simply do not qualify Arnott? (I believe he has to be qualified at around $4 million dollars)

But back to Guerin for a minute. Less than a week ago it was reported that Bill Guerin's agent submitted a list of teams to Stars management and alloted them a 45-day window to trade him. Perhaps Guerin himself wants out as well?

Guerin makes $9 million per season for 3 more seasons ($27 million in all).

What else could happen in Dallas? There are talks that Hull wants to come back, and even whispers of perhaps them getting both Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk via free agency as well. You have to imagine all this hingest on Guerin potentially leaving.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of Miettinen, Ott, Daley, and Kapanen next season for the Stars, either way.

Old
06-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
At least, if you listen to some of the media hounds lately. It sure sounds like the vultures are circling in Dallas right now, as no doubt owner Hicks and GM Armstrong cannot be pleased with the season they just had, especially considering their terrible performance against the Colorado Avalanche in the playoffs.

On HNIC's Hotstove, all of the hockey gurus.. oh, and Al Strachan.. agreed that Dallas will be trying to move Guerin, could refuse to qualify Arnott, and go with the youngsters. In particular, Florida was mentioned as it's believed Mike Keenan will be able to coerce owner Cohen into spending some dough to improve the grit on the Cats forwards.

Michael Russo in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel reported:

It seems to me that when there is smoke, there is fire. We've heard Guerin in the past was a favorite to be moved, but his contract has always been a sticking point. Still, I imagine that the Panthers and maybe even one or two other teams out there would still be interested in him if the Stars were willing to eat some cash.

But how about Arnott? This is something that hasn't come up much on this board it seems, but is it possible that the Stars simply do not qualify Arnott? (I believe he has to be qualified at around $4 million dollars)

But back to Guerin for a minute. Less than a week ago it was reported that Bill Guerin's agent submitted a list of teams to Stars management and alloted them a 45-day window to trade him. Perhaps Guerin himself wants out as well?

Guerin makes $9 million per season for 3 more seasons ($27 million in all).

What else could happen in Dallas? There are talks that Hull wants to come back, and even whispers of perhaps them getting both Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk via free agency as well. You have to imagine all this hingest on Guerin potentially leaving.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of Miettinen, Ott, Daley, and Kapanen next season for the Stars, either way.
The only way dumping Bill Guerin or even not qualifying Jason Arnott (which I seriously, seriously doubt) has any sense is when the Stars sign cheaper players against one year contracts. So dumping both without signing Hull/Nieuwendyk/Roberts or whoever, makes no sense what so ever. The team would still be loaded with veterans, but to the degree that contending is nearly impossible, yet they won't be horrible either. What kind of direction is that?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Jancevski, Miettinen, Ott, Lessard, Daley, Tjarnqvist and Kapanen stepping in next season, as least as long as their roles are minimal. Cause as long as this team has Mike Modano, Jere Lehtinen and Sergei Zubov, this team will do whatever it takes to contend. The potentially dumping of both Guerin/Arnott is to prepare the team to be in better shape when the CBA comes around, but the rumours of Hull and now Nieuwendyk prove my point of the Stars still trying to contend.

I do like to add that these "cleaning house" rumours have been around for about 2 full years now, I am not worried untill I actually see Guerin putting a different jersey over his head.

Old
06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Guerin is required to submit this list per his contract. The 45-day window was placed in his contract orginally as well. They wanted to avoid giving him a no-trade clause because they got burnt on it under Gainey (Pierre Turgeon).

As far as Arnott, I (a Dallas fan) would not mind if he stayed. He's not that old or that supremely expesnive, and he's pretty good. Still, he's not a huge concern for me. Don't care too much if he stays or goes.

As far as "what else could happen in Dallas"? The answer is not much. They have very little that can be moved for anything of value.

I can guarantee that neither Teppo nor Scott Young will be returning, however. However, I wouldn't call not re-signing these folks "cleaning house". I'd call it pretty much good riddance. $10 million of wasted salary right there.

Old
06-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Foolish signing's for Dallas over the years.

Old
06-08-2004, 06:27 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
After Modano's laughable year, they need a rebuild, not complete, just some young talent.

We are fairly weak on Veterans, and with Zhitnik departing possibly, our defense has no veteran, unless we re-sign Patrick, who's depth anyway. Maybe Klemm or Numminen could be of some use, but their potential UFA's.

I would love lehtinen over here, but im not sure of his contract status.

Old
06-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
I would love lehtinen over here, but im not sure of his contract status.
Lehtinen signed the first offer Armstrong laid on the table, that, while Lehtinen could've easily demanded twice that, maybe even maybe Modano type money. He's signed for the next 4 years making between 2.8 and 4.5 over those years if I am not mistaken. Jere is going nowhere, nor do you have the goods we'd want for him.

Old
06-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Hammerwise

Lehtinen is signed to a sweet cheap deal and won't be going anywhere.

Interesting rumor has Guerin and a mid round/middling prospect pick going to Philly for Amonte. Amonte makes 2-3 million less than Guerin but both have 3 yrs left on the deal.
I would've thought they are close to equal in all aspects (Guerin may produce a bit more, but his injury history balances that), except for that 2-3 million a year. Hitchcock loves Zubov so there might be something there.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Other Dave

If the rumors are true, I'm sure Ottawa would want a side order of Dallas, but only at Washington Capitals fire-sale prices.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
If the rumors are true, I'm sure Ottawa would want a side order of Dallas, but only at Washington Capitals fire-sale prices.
The only movable players are Bill Guerin and Jason Arnott. The rest either has a NTC, or mean far too much for our franchise.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:18 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise
Interesting rumor has Guerin and a mid round/middling prospect pick going to Philly for Amonte. Amonte makes 2-3 million less than Guerin but both have 3 yrs left on the deal.
I would've thought they are close to equal in all aspects (Guerin may produce a bit more, but his injury history balances that), except for that 2-3 million a year. Hitchcock loves Zubov so there might be something there.
I fail to see what Ken Hitchcock liking Sergei Zubov has to do with anything.

Closed Thread