HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with stick specs...

Old
09-30-2010, 07:05 AM

vCash: 500
Help with stick specs...

Just looking for some help with patterns. I'm really picky with my patterns and I haven't really felt a comfort level with anything I've been using lately. I'm pretty close with a Zetterberg pattern or a PM9 but they have a 3/8" curve. I had surgery on my arm in the winter and it still not felling right so I was thinking of going to a half in curve for more zip on my shots. This is what I'm looking for...

5 or 5.5 lie : 1/2 curve : long or mid blade length : mid heal curve (very important for me as I hate mid and heals)

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:46 AM
trtaylor

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums.../patterns.html

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Islander102

I'm thinking the Bauer Malkin sounds about right for you.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
I'm thinking the Bauer Malkin sounds about right for you.
The Malkin is the PM9, he says he's used it in the past but wants something with a bit more of a curve, the Malkin is quite flat. Personally I like Bauer's P88 (Kane), it's IMO very similar to the Malkin but with more curve. However, it is more of a mid curve than a mid heel, so that might cause trouble.

Note that a bigger curve won't really give you more zip in your shots, a bigger curve is more about getting increased control when stickhandling and getting the puck more easily into the shooting pocket when shooting. If you want more lift on your shots, you should go with a blade that has a more open face (the PM9 and P88 are both quite closed, the P91A would be a more open option), but personally I hate sticks with open faces, I tend to shoot higher than I'd like as is.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the posts guys. I'm not sure what to do??? My shot is still hard, heavy and I can put it where I want but I love getting in close on a goalie and roofing it. Thats something that I've been having trouble with since I started playing again after surgery. Maybe I need to build my arm, wrist and hand strength up again.

I'm going to give that P91A a try. The Tavares pattern looks like something I would like too. Any spec news on that?

Old
09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you want more power or just to raise the shots? I don't really think more curve will necessarily put more power on the shots, but for instance if you tried a Drury curve, the higher lie and loft would force you to cup the puck more and load the stick for more power.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM

I'm looking to skate right up to the goalie, back him up and put it right under the crossbar.

I'm 6'3" and using a 5 or 5.5 lie. I also use a longer stick.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I see, definitely try the Drury then, it's awesome for that.

Old
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
ponder

If you really want to roof it, what you want is an open face, so yeah, the P91A (or any similar curve in another line) would probably be a good choice. Always best to try before you buy though, ask guys on your team with different curves if you can borrow their sticks for warmups, as sometimes new curves just don't feel right.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:10 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm not sure what to do??? My shot is still hard, heavy and I can put it where I want but I love getting in close on a goalie and roofing it. Thats something that I've been having trouble with since I started playing again after surgery. Maybe I need to build my arm, wrist and hand strength up again.

I'm going to give that P91A a try. The Tavares pattern looks like something I would like too. Any spec news on that?
The Tavares/Recchi is actually pretty good for keeping it down. It's a 1/2, neutral curve with a rocker that feels around 5~ish lie. Like a few other people have said, Drury/P91A is a good bet.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm looking to skate right up to the goalie, back him up and put it right under the crossbar.

I'm 6'3" and using a 5 or 5.5 lie. I also use a longer stick.
Practice. You should be able to do it with any stick... I don't understand why people think that the curve they use is some kind of crutch for their skills. Pick a curve, get comfortable with it and stick with it for a long time. You will learn to do ANY and EVERY thing with it and it will not matter if it's a flat curve, big curve, heel curve, toe curve... just pick something you're comfortable with and start practicing with it. Walking in on a goalie, backing him up and putting a puck right under the crossbar is always going to be 99% skill, no matter what stick you're using.

I hate these threads that ask for this kind of advice... the stick does not do the work for you. Only YOU can back the goalie up and put the puck under the crossbar and the way you do it is by learning to shoot better. I'm not saying you can't shoot one right under the crossbar now. But looking for a new curve to help your consistency is the wrong approach. Practice will help your consistency. If it's not improving your consistency that you're looking for, than I don't know what you want... there is no magic curve that sends pucks to the crossbar every time it lets a shot go.

Honestly, curve is 100% preference. There are curves that lend themselves to certain styles or are "better suited" for a player who has a tendency for one shot more than others (and yet some players who rely heavily on their slapshot will still choose a big hook when conventional wisdom suggests something flatter, because it's all about YOU and the mechanics of your shot), but EVERY single shot can be directed to EVERY desired part of the net with EVERY blade on the market. Just find a curve your comfortable with, stick with it, and practice with it until you can put your wrister, slapper and backhand where ever you want, whenever you want.

My advice has always been, because you can practice shooting until you can place every shot you take wherever you want it with any blade, regardless of curve, to choose the one you're most comfortable stick handling with. Even the flattest curve you can learn to go roof with at will, so pick the curve that you feel you have the most control over the puck with.

Last edited by SERE 24: 09-30-2010 at 01:16 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:16 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Obviously, I can put almost any curve bar down because of practice. BUT every curve naturally has a tendency. Malkin makes passing super easy, Drury is designed for optimal wristers because it has a longer blade, Heatley is for move making because it's short, you get the idea. I actually think shooting is often the thing least affected by a curve, but that's just me.

Old
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a Forsberg on its way for games where I'm just passing the puck all the time on defense and love the Drury for sniping. Rarely miss my target with that curve when I focus.

Old
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have a Forsberg on its way for games where I'm just passing the puck all the time on defense and love the Drury for sniping. Rarely miss my target with that curve when I focus.
I've also found that I prefer the Forsberg for deflections. A flatter blade will allow versatility on forehand and backhand deflections! I love the Drury, but it's harder to control redirections than anything else but Lidstrom types.