HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal update (10/13: Back on skates)

Old
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

vCash: 500
Staal update (10/13: Back on skates)

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...fb-pghpenguins

Quote:
Among the highlights were Staal saying he "isn't sure when he be back in action ... there have been a lot of ups and downs in the recovery."

Staal has not been able to work out or get on the ice since having the procedure to clear an infection in his foot, but on a positive note, he is "not feeling any pain at all."
Not much, but still. Good to see he's not in any discomfort any more and he'll begin work outs soon.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
JTG

Him not playing disappoints me way less than him having a wasted offseason where he could be taking those next steps in being a way better player.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Dupree13

It's concerning, no doubt.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He didn't go all Pat Burns and say "I ain't dead yet!"?

I am a little worried we won't see the real Jordan Staal this year, though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Are the Pens still looking to pair him with Malkin when he comes back?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

I think they're gonna put him on the 4th to punish him for his sub-par hygiene, which lead to his infection in the first place.

Wash your hands, Staal.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

According to Adrian Dater's twitter account (he is an Avs' beat writer), he has a source that says it could be 10 weeks for Staal. Take it for what it's worth.

Soooooo, is it safe to move Geno back to center now? Seriously.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
According to Adrian Dater's twitter account (he is an Avs' beat writer), he has a source that says it could be 10 weeks for Staal. Take it for what it's worth.

Is he looking that bad on wing? 'Not so seriously.' Here we go again?

nwpensfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

Quote:

Soooooo, can we go a thread without you voicing your displeasure for Malkin at wing? Seriously.

We get it. You think it's a dumb idea and it's doomed to fail.

Back on topic: Staal is going to be fine but it'll take time. I hope they don't rush him back into the lineup, because the team will be alright without him for the first month and much stronger when he gets back.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

This quote really made me a bit mad...

Quote:
On if he’s been working out his upper body:
Actually, I’ve just been kicking up my foot. It’s been a lot of relaxing and not doing a whole lot, which is really frustrating.
Really Staal? No upper body work at all? I mean I realize you can't get on your skates or do any leg lifting, but you couldn't at least work on your upper body...?

The rest of his quotes can be found here. This is different than the original link.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
This quote really made me a bit mad...

Really Staal? No upper body work at all? I mean I realize you can't get on your skates or do any leg lifting, but you couldn't at least work on your upper body...?

The rest of his quotes can be found here. This is different than the original link.
What an unbelievable response to that!! Wonder if that was actual question? Can't be too frustrating can it??

nwpensfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Jer Flip

That's too bad. I was hoping he'd return within a couple of weeks into the season. :<

Jer Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:

To facilitate a move for Kovalchuk, I'm guessing.

Last edited by Warm Cookies: 09-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
To facilitate a move for Kovalchuk, I'm guessing.
Dude... we can totally fit him under the cap!

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Alas, No. 17 isn't coming. He's with our bitter rivals, no less.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Rectify
I HAVE A JOB!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=335796

Rectify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
KIRK

Quote:

I'd still trade him for a better second line center and a #6 defenseman, but your idea might work.

Jokes aside, I really do question if this coaching staff has any clue what to do with Malkin . . . from using him on the left point on the PP to the question of where he plays until Staal returns to the failure to get him steady shifts and appropriate minutes during games, how Bylsma handles Malkin is one thing that, God help me, makes me miss Michel Therrien (not saying I want him back, mind you, just using the comparison to make a point of how Bylsma coaches Malkin . . . ).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'd still trade him for a better second line center and a #6 defenseman, but your idea might work.

Jokes aside, I really do question if this coaching staff has any clue what to do with Malkin . . . from using him on the left point on the PP to the question of where he plays until Staal returns to the failure to get him steady shifts and appropriate minutes during games, how Bylsma handles Malkin is one thing that, God help me, makes me miss Michel Therrien (not saying I want him back, mind you, just using the comparison to make a point of how Bylsma coaches Malkin . . . ).
Dude... Therrien would convert Malkin into our 6th defenseman.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
cdenn15

Should have dealt him before this injury.

cdenn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Kinguin

Well, after Staal actually can return to the ice, but before coming back to the NHL, I imagine he would be assigned to WBS, wouldn't he?

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Dude... Therrien would convert Malkin into our 6th defenseman.
Actually, sad as it is to think, because I wanted Therrien fired 6 months before he was fired, he actually got what to do with Malkin.

The day Therrien was fired, Malkin was a 22 minute a night workhorse who played on all lines and in all situations, including the PK and the last minute of games.

Therrien actually had a plan for him, much as I mocked Therrien when he'd talk about his "plans". And, you saw it working.

Take out the 16 game run from the Stanley Cup playoffs two years ago. Outside of that, Malkin's PPG has been down from the day Bylsma took over, his minutes have been down, his takeaways have been down, a player Russia once regarded as their best PK forward outside of Datsyuk became a player who didn't even see PK minutes at the last Olympics and isn't someone the Pens even consider playing on the PK or the last minute of a game.

To be blunt, he's regressed. Maybe he'll get more points this year. Maybe he'll be better. I think he will on both counts because he's a proud athlete pissed at himself for a bad year last year. BUT, it won't be because of Dan Bylsma's coaching. It will be in spite of it.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:59 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
I wish I could disagree vehemently with this. Especially since I think Therrien is a goof. But I can't. I know it's only the preseason but the looks they are giving him on the powerplay concern me. I'd almost rather he just have his own unit rather than play over on the left side. I can live, begrudgingly, with the decision to move him to wing but that just doesn't make much sense to me. Hopefully it doesn't carry over to the regular season.

Anyway, as far as Staal is concerned... I can't help but think that this is going to be a complete throwaway season for him. I'm holding out hope that he comes back in late October better than ever... but that seems kind of unlikely.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, sad as it is to think, because I wanted Therrien fired 6 months before he was fired, he actually got what to do with Malkin.

The day Therrien was fired, Malkin was a 22 minute a night workhorse who played on all lines and in all situations, including the PK and the last minute of games.

Therrien actually had a plan for him, much as I mocked Therrien when he'd talk about his "plans". And, you saw it working.

Take out the 16 game run from the Stanley Cup playoffs two years ago. Outside of that, Malkin's PPG has been down from the day Bylsma took over, his minutes have been down, his takeaways have been down, a player Russia once regarded as their best PK forward outside of Datsyuk became a player who didn't even see PK minutes at the last Olympics and isn't someone the Pens even consider playing on the PK or the last minute of a game.

To be blunt, he's regressed. Maybe he'll get more points this year. Maybe he'll be better. I think he will on both counts because he's a proud athlete pissed at himself for a bad year last year. BUT, it won't be because of Dan Bylsma's coaching. It will be in spite of it.
Thats a good post and is clearly true. Malkin just isn't the same player he was before DB took over. It really pains me to say it but last year he wasn't even close to being the pure center he was when coming over from Russia. Thos give aways, over carrying of the puck and lazy plays simply is not him. Not sure what happened but I'm OK with him playing wing mostly because he regressed as a center. Thats not good.

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:38 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats a good post and is clearly true. Malkin just isn't the same player he was before DB took over. It really pains me to say it but last year he wasn't even close to being the pure center he was when coming over from Russia. Thos give aways, over carrying of the puck and lazy plays simply is not him. Not sure what happened but I'm OK with him playing wing mostly because he regressed as a center. Thats not good.
I don't agree with this at all. Malkin's emergence came when Sid got injured in '08 and even a buffoon like Therrien understood that with Sid out for months, Geno would have to assume the role of the workhorse. He then put him with his two best offensive players (Malone and a still competent Sykora) and had to ride that line all the way through until Sid came back. In other words, handling Geno the proper way was simply by default because quite frankly, he didn't have anyone else to carry the load.

By the time the Final came around in '09, Therrien had been gone almost 4 months already and you can argue that when it counted the, Geno has played his best hockey under Dan Bylsma.

It was only his rookie year so I'm sure fatigue played a factor, but Geno vanished towards the end of his first year and was invisible in the playoffs under Therrien. He also vanished for pretty much the last two series of the '08 run (I know he was sick, but still...) In other words, he's had his problems under both coaches.

I love him more than any other player on the team, but the kid can be inconsistent and flaky and I find there's no rhyme or reason to it. He didn't just play "okay" for the Pens, but for his national team in not only the Olympics, but the WC at the end of the season as well. All his injuries certainly didn't help.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 02:44 PM
AK

It's too bad that he and the team's medical staff could blow it so badly.

I'm guessing we don't see him until November or December.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote