HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Staal update (10/13: Back on skates)

Old
09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He didn't just play "okay" for the Pens, but for his national team in not only the Olympics, but the WC at the end of the season as well. All his injuries certainly didn't help.
I might be misunderstanding here but wasn't he generally considered to be a standout on a pretty lousy and underachieving Russian Olympic team? Also, I thought he had a really good WC, didn't he?

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
It's too bad that he and the team's medical staff could blow it so badly.

I'm guessing we don't see him until November or December.
It's not something that is necessarily the staff's fault. They are freak things that happen. It might even be on Staal's end. Who knows.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
It's not something that is necessarily the staff's fault. They are freak things that happen. It might even be on Staal's end. Who knows.
So what are you trying to say?

That he's a dirty dirtball?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:13 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I might be misunderstanding here but wasn't he generally considered to be a standout on a pretty lousy and underachieving Russian Olympic team? Also, I thought he had a really good WC, didn't he?
He just played "okay" at the Olympics, and I watched every game because I was rooting for him and Sarge. The WC I know he was one of their better players, but again, he was just "okay".

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

There's potential...

A foot is a disgustingly dirty part of the body to begin with. It's not hard to imagine that an open wound would get infected there.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
There's potential...

A foot is a disgustingly dirty part of the body to begin with. It's not hard to imagine that an open wound would get infected there.
I could only imagine if he got cut in the back of the ear...

Old
09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Alcohol + antibiotics = bad

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
HA!

Never thought of that.

Absolutely not out of the question. Pretty likely, actually.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Malkin played pretty well at the Olympics, and tore it up at the WC's. I don't know what you're talking about, lol.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Yes since alcohol counteracts antibiotics. lol

Something I wish I would've known my freshman year when I had a throat infection that made my neck swell out even with my jaw but my roommates were still partying and I was joining them...

Oh that was an interesting trip to the hospital after that weekend...

SterlingBennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Malkin played pretty well at the Olympics, and tore it up at the WC's. I don't know what you're talking about, lol.
Yeah, he's capable of being a great winger, too. Whether or not it makes the team better having him there is debatable.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 03:52 PM
gialloneri
Hypno-Brooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

Staal clearly needs the Tennessee Football Shower Discipline Lecture. Call Derek Dooley, stat!

gialloneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Pencil in Staal for December 1 and we'll be happy if it's earlier. I'm not getting a good vibe from his vague answers, and the fact that TSN said he had 5 procedures in all actually might indicate the infection was of a more severe variety (i.e. wasn't responding well to meds or was getting reinfected anytime there was moisture down there etc). If Staal would stop toe-banging his girlfriend in the jacuzzi maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

My conclusion: definitely Congolese parasites. I say we trade him before it spreads. Plus the commenter on TSN said Staal was a "draft day blunder" so it must be true.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:07 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
You're wrong. Please don't look at stats. I'm not saying you are, but it irritates me when it's used as the bulk of an argument.

I remember every single one of those Olympic games and the only game where he played well was against an over matched Czchec team. That was it, that was all. Even against Belarus I barely noticed him.

The WC Russia had practically their entire NHL roster because of the Olympic debacle and ran over everyone...until the end where again he was nowhere to be noticed.

Old
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Would you two take it outside, or I'm going to have to call your mothers into the office. This is about Jordan Staal's Congolese Parasite infection.

Old
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Pencil in Staal for December 1 and we'll be happy if it's earlier. I'm not getting a good vibe from his vague answers, and the fact that TSN said he had 5 procedures in all actually might indicate the infection was of a more severe variety (i.e. wasn't responding well to meds or was getting reinfected anytime there was moisture down there etc). If Staal would stop toe-banging his girlfriend in the jacuzzi maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

My conclusion: definitely Congolese parasites. I say we trade him before it spreads. Plus the commenter on TSN said Staal was a "draft day blunder" so it must be true.
I've heard he has Ebola, AIDS, Dengue Fever AND African Trypanosomiasis. E5.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post

Common now. Everyone knows you can't spread Ebola and AIDS by toe-banging half of Thunder Bay's finest. Dengue fever can be spread but only via cunnilingus. The African thing I'm not sure. He could have that too but Chagas is more likely. This is some scary sh^T!

Old
09-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I heard that is worse than all this.
He's facing a lawsuit.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
I heard that is worse than all this.
He's facing a lawsuit.
Well as long as he didn't **** anybody with credibility, he should be fine. Just ask Ben Roethlisberger.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
This quote really made me a bit mad...

Really Staal? No upper body work at all? I mean I realize you can't get on your skates or do any leg lifting, but you couldn't at least work on your upper body...?

The rest of his quotes can be found here. This is different than the original link.
That could be doctor's orders, though. Infections are a bit different than a broken bone, or torn muscle. Exercise can decrease the body's immunity, making it more difficult to recover from an infection, or even allow the infection to spread. That would be a worse result than having Staal take longer to recover his conditioning.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, he's capable of being a great winger, too. Whether or not it makes the team better having him there is debatable.
Watching the televised pre-season games, I've seen one reason why moving Malkin to wing might actually be a good thing after all - it sends him deeper into the offensive zone on the forecheck, where he has the ability to steal the puck off of opposing players and immediately create a scoring chance.

As a center, Malkin's responsibilities keep him further back on defense, and while he can sometimes steal the puck there, he seems to cause a lot more turnovers when he's able to go deeper into the offensive zone while on defense.

It's also worth noting that he seems to have been given free reign to go anywhere on the ice he wants to when his team has the puck, so the arguments that he is restrained on offense on the right wing are a bit misplaced.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Actually, sad as it is to think, because I wanted Therrien fired 6 months before he was fired, he actually got what to do with Malkin.

The day Therrien was fired, Malkin was a 22 minute a night workhorse who played on all lines and in all situations, including the PK and the last minute of games.

Therrien actually had a plan for him, much as I mocked Therrien when he'd talk about his "plans". And, you saw it working.

Take out the 16 game run from the Stanley Cup playoffs two years ago. Outside of that, Malkin's PPG has been down from the day Bylsma took over, his minutes have been down, his takeaways have been down, a player Russia once regarded as their best PK forward outside of Datsyuk became a player who didn't even see PK minutes at the last Olympics and isn't someone the Pens even consider playing on the PK or the last minute of a game.

To be blunt, he's regressed. Maybe he'll get more points this year. Maybe he'll be better. I think he will on both counts because he's a proud athlete pissed at himself for a bad year last year. BUT, it won't be because of Dan Bylsma's coaching. It will be in spite of it.
I'm not gonna lay Malkin's '09-'10 season on Bylsma. Malkin had not only played more high-level hockey than any player in the league over the last two years coming into that season, he also had a shoulder injury at the start of the year and was saddled with horrendous wingers from beginning to end.

Too many major variables to call it a regression based on Bylsma's coaching, I think.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post

I'm with this line of thinking. I'd rather him get fully healthy, than for him to force his way back in November with the risk of re-injury. We all know what time of year you have to start playing good hockey.

Also, if they want to keep him at wing DB can let Commie C the 2nd line. I'm up for seeing how everything looks in the regular season and then thinking of alternatives from there.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
mashsoccer37

I've been saying it from Day 1 that we shoulda drafted Toews or Backstrom....

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashsoccer37 View Post
I've been saying it from Day 1 that we shoulda drafted Toews or Backstrom....

Or Kessel. I mean, the guy ****ing conquers cancer and Staal can't get over a little cut.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote