HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers waive Souray and Gerber

Old
09-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
To repeat for those who missed it: Souray will be assigned to an ahl team other than okc, and they will not attempt reentry waivers at any time in the future. He will be traded when a suitable offer is made.
I'd like to believe you, but you state no sources.

I wonder if an AHL team with bad attendence would pick him up on a loan (like Nylander's situation). People would come out to see an NHL caliber player with a big shot. Win-win if this actually happens.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Wait a second. If he's assigned to the AHL (doesn't matter where), how can the Oilers still look for a place to trade him?

What team is going to trade for his contract just to risk losing him on re-entry waivers on the way back up?

If they assign him, he's got to come back if someone's going to trade for him, assuming they're acquiring him for their NHL team.

If they're still thinking about trading him, sending him down wouldn't make much sense.
Maybe they would assign him to the AHL, trade his contract to another team, that team then recalls him and the Oilers would claim him and finalize the trade.

...somehow I dont think it works that way though.

Old
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I'd like to believe you, but you state no sources.

I wonder if an AHL team with bad attendence would pick him up on a loan (like Nylander's situation). People would come out to see an NHL caliber player with a big shot. Win-win if this actually happens.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=335798

It think this covers a source

Quote:
TSNRyanRishaug Ryan Rishaug
I believe souray will need to be assigned to ahl for cap hit to come off, but they may be able to assign, but tell him not to report.
This also covers it.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=335798

It think this covers a source

This also covers it.
They all sound like they are speculating. So I guess the bottom line is no-one knows whats going to happen. **** it would be nice to have this over and done with, just to get some closure and get on with the season.

Old
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Herman72
Season's Warnings

No surprises here.

Who picks up Souray once he's on recallable waivers?

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski44 View Post
No surprises here.

Who picks up Souray once he's on recallable waivers?
Burke.

Then he trades on of his D for a forward.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Herman72
Season's Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Burke.

Then he trades on of his D for a forward.
Truculence abounds!

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
They all sound like they are speculating. So I guess the bottom line is no-one knows whats going to happen. **** it would be nice to have this over and done with, just to get some closure and get on with the season.
True, but he has been waive and will be, probably, be sent to the AHL.

He's off the roster and the cap hit is gone, that's the important part right now.

Old
09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
Souray will not be assigned to OKC per @NHLbyMatty.

http://twitter.com/#!/NHLbyMatty/status/26025644543

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:44 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life View Post
Souray will not be assigned to OKC per @NHLbyMatty.

http://twitter.com/#!/NHLbyMatty/status/26025644543
when souray clears waivers tomorrow, Oil won't asign him to OK City. Not right away. Still want to trade him. Nothing even on stove now.

From that I take it he won't be assigned anywhere, but are going through the formalities so he can be assigned somewhere when they want to.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
Assign him to a Single A SPHL team.

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:27 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

The Oilers will only assign him "somewhere" after they have extinguished all possibilities of dealing him away (preferably before the season starts). When the regular season starts they need to be down to a 23 man roster and as long as he's not assigned to an AHL club (or anywhere else other than on the Oilers) he's taking up a valuable roster spot. Once he's assigned or loaned out or whatever else they decide to do with him... that valuable roster spot is opened up for another body.

He could conceivably stay put on the 23 man Oilers roster well into the season as the Oilers may wait for early season dman injuries around the league to ignite some interest in him.

I don't think anyone really knows the ultimate conclusion to this situation (not even Oilers management) because it's an evolving and ongoing process.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Oilerdiehard

Just to help back up Supermassive claims here a little bit.

Tambellini was just on with Tencer. When asked if they can not work out a trade what will he do? Tambellini said he will play and have to be assigned to a minor league team.

Obviously the way he worded that is important I think "a minor league team". Pretty sure that is an exact quote but if anyone else heard it and heard something different. Feel free to correct me. But he never mentioned OKC as a possible destination. Yet he did mention OKC with regards to the other players like Gerber.

Edit - Tencer put the podcast up of the interview now. I listened to it again. I guess he just says "to the minors" rather than to a minor league team. He did not want to discuss specifically the possibility of loaning him to another minor league team.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 09-30-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Oi'll say!

I know that every Oiler fan in here likes to think that this is all on Souray's head, but the fact is that it's yet another dark chapter in the Oilers mangement vs players(and ufa's) saga. Anyone who really thinks that one party is 100% to blame here and the other is as pure as the driven snow is living in a fantasy land.

No matter what you believe, this isn't doing anything to help get us off the bottom of the "UFA's Preferred Destinations" list.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Chris314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Just to help back up Supermassive claims here a little bit.

Tambellini was just on with Tencer. When asked if they can not work out a trade what will he do? Tambellini said he will play and have to be assigned to a minor league team.

Obviously the way he worded that is important I think "a minor league team". He never mentioned OKC as a possible destination. Yet he did mention OKC with regards to the other players like Gerber.
It also sounded like he will try to make a trade until next wednesday, if still nothing, he will be assigned to the minors. ie they won't be wasting a roster spot on him waiting for someone to get injured early in the season.

Chris314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
First to say Souray will go to The Odessa Jackelopes!!!

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I know that every Oiler fan in here likes to think that this is all on Souray's head, but the fact is that it's yet another dark chapter in the Oilers mangement vs players(and ufa's) saga. Anyone who really thinks that one party is 100% to blame here and the other is as pure as the driven snow is living in a fantasy land.

No matter what you believe, this isn't doing anything to help get us off the bottom of the "UFA's Preferred Destinations" list.
So, out of curiosity, what would you have done differently if you were Oiler management?

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
DareDoiler

vCash: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

Why do people always have to bring this up? You are correct, sir. Any bad publicicty dimishes the reputation of an organization, but things are what they are.

I would rather they do what they are doing, and show the other X amount of players already within the oilers organization, that they will not put up with this garbage, than tip toe around it to avoid any negative perceptions from other players who, odds are, would never play with us anyways.

Again, send a message to actual oilers (we will not put up with this) and maybe hurt your chances with the select few players you want to trade for or whatever in the future
OR
Send a different message to current oilers (we will put up with this, babysit you, give you top minutes to help your chances with a trade, etc) and maybe, MAYBE, bandage some of the damage Souray did the moment he opened his mouth.

And while I havent spoken with NHL players to know why they dont want to come here, i'll assume you havent either. Having said that, I would bet my life savings (it isnt much) that the list is as follows:

1) Weather/Geography (cmon, look at the NHL cities, Edmonton would be near the bottom of my list too)
2) Standings (if you can get past the weather of certain nhl cities, id still choose, detroit, chicago, nj, etc)
3) Reputation (way below 1 and 2 i would guess)

DareDoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:27 PM
AK Dandyman

Tambo was just on 630 Ched saying he won't make Souray sit out.

I am guessing the plan from now to the start of the season is:
- see if someone would claim him off waiver
- try to trade him (this is 2nd option because we will have to take some unwanted players from other teams and their salaries back
- loan him to another AHL team or Europe (is that possible?)
- try to trade him again
- Re-entry waiver

I think Tambo is taking the high road and won't let Souray sit out, which i can appreciate. At the same time, Tambo is firm enough of not going to let him wear an Oilers NHL or AHL jersey again, which i really believe is the right thing to do as i don't want Souray interrupts our our youth development direction.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

tamby may just place him on re-entry waivers and not have to foot the whole bill. they have the cap space to stomach next year also.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Tambo was just on 630 Ched saying he won't make Souray sit out.

I am guessing the plan from now to the start of the season is:
- see if someone would claim him off waiver
- try to trade him (this is 2nd option because we will have to take some unwanted players from other teams and their salaries back
- loan him to another AHL team or Europe (is that possible?)
- try to trade him again
- Re-entry waiver

I think Tambo is taking the high road and won't let Souray sit out, which i can appreciate. At the same time, Tambo is firm enough of not going to let him wear an Oilers NHL or AHL jersey again, which i really believe is the right thing to do as i don't want Souray interrupts our our youth development direction.
See Huet

Edit: They should loan him to Davos, so we can watch him in the Spengler Cup, lol

Old
09-30-2010, 09:43 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
tamby may just place him on re-entry waivers and not have to foot the whole bill. they have the cap space to stomach next year also.
I don't think the math is this simple.

A few commentators have said that he might be attractive to teams except that he has two years left not one. So rather that commit yourself to pay half his salary for two years, an argument can be made that it might be better to eat his whole salary this year, keep trying to trade him as you can throughout the year, and failing that, try the waiver route next summer and/or next fall.

The worst case scenario to Katz is that he ends up not being able to waive him next year either. In that case, not recalling him this year costs him 2.25 million. I think that's not a bad risk.

Last edited by hillbillypriest: 09-30-2010 at 09:54 PM.
hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:53 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyen View Post
I thought we signed Gerber to a 2-way deal? Why would the oilers put him on waivers?
User since 2003...geez how many times does this need to be explained.

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:53 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
See Huet
I've got a dumb question vis a vis Huet and Nylander scenarios.

If for some (very hypothetical) reason an NHL team wanted to have Nylander and was willing to pay his full shot, do the capitals have to pay half of Nylander's salary (and cap hit) for the rest of his contract, or is it still possible for a team to pick him up without the capitals being stuck for half?

I think essentially what I'm asking is whether the 1/2 salary lunch on return to the NHL relates specifically to players assigned to an AHL team or applies in any case even if the loaned-to team is not in the AHL.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
dnicks17

Rishaug has said on twitter that Minny is not interested in Gerber.
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug

Also, if Souray clears waivers tomorrow, does that not mean he would have to go through re-entry waivers to be called back up? Does that not make a trade completely out of the question? No team will trade for Souray then lose him on re-entry.

Seems like that's what https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty is saying.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote