HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers waive Souray and Gerber

Old
09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I've got a dumb question vis a vis Huet and Nylander scenarios.

If for some (very hypothetical) reason an NHL team wanted to have Nylander and was willing to pay his full shot, do the capitals have to pay half of Nylander's salary (and cap hit) for the rest of his contract, or is it still possible for a team to pick him up without the capitals being stuck for half?

I think essentially what I'm asking is whether the 1/2 salary lunch on return to the NHL relates specifically to players assigned to an AHL team or applies in any case even if the loaned-to team is not in the AHL.
Do you mean via trade, like they want the player or via loan for the minor league team?

In the case of straight trade, I believe the traded player would be put on re-entry waivers by the team that traded for him.

In the case of a loan to a minor league, the team who gets him only has pay a small AHL salary.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Rishaug has said on twitter that Minny is not interested in Gerber.
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug

Also, if Souray clears waivers tomorrow, does that not mean he would have to go through re-entry waivers to be called back up? Does that not make a trade completely out of the question? No team will trade for Souray then lose him on re-entry.

Seems like that's what https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty is saying.
I still worry about Washington, apparently Varlamov is nicked up, i think.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I still worry about Washington, apparently Varlamov is nicked up, i think.
Yeah, didn't know that. Supposedly he's just resting a minor injury, but you never know.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:21 PM
blue_n_copper

Quote:
Rishaug has said on twitter that Minny is not interested in Gerber.
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug

Also, if Souray clears waivers tomorrow, does that not mean he would have to go through re-entry waivers to be called back up? Does that not make a trade completely out of the question? No team will trade for Souray then lose him on re-entry.

Seems like that's what https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty is saying.
No. If he gets sent to the AHL then he has to clear re-entry waivers to re-enter the league. He is not going to be sent down tomorrow he is only going to clear waivers which is a preliminary step before he can be sent down.

blue_n_copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_n_copper View Post
No. If he gets sent to the AHL then he has to clear re-entry waivers to re-enter the league. He is not going to be sent down tomorrow he is only going to clear waivers which is a preliminary step before he can be sent down.
That's exactly what he said.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Do you mean via trade, like they want the player or via loan for the minor league team?

In the case of straight trade, I believe the traded player would be put on re-entry waivers by the team that traded for him.

In the case of a loan to a minor league, the team who gets him only has pay a small AHL salary.
So bottom line: once a player is assigned to any team (AHL or other), he must pass through recall waivers? If he doesn't, the team that originally assigned him has to pay half the players salary for the rest of his contract, right?

Anyway, thanks again..

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I know that every Oiler fan in here likes to think that this is all on Souray's head, but the fact is that it's yet another dark chapter in the Oilers mangement vs players(and ufa's) saga. Anyone who really thinks that one party is 100% to blame here and the other is as pure as the driven snow is living in a fantasy land.

No matter what you believe, this isn't doing anything to help get us off the bottom of the "UFA's Preferred Destinations" list.
Don't care. It has to be done because once a player goes public with comments/accusations like that, the team has to draw a line. Also, winning will bring every UFA there is. While it may be painful, the team had to stand up to this.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_n_copper View Post
I would assume if he is traded then he no longer has to clear re entry. I assume that rule only applies for the teams that put him on waivers

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
So bottom line: once a player is assigned to any team (AHL or other), he must pass through recall waivers? If he doesn't, the team that originally assigned him has to pay half the players salary for the rest of his contract, right?

Anyway, thanks again..
If Souray were to be assigned to a European team he would not have to clear re-entry waivers to come back into the NHL. If he is assigned to a minor league north american team he would have to clear re-entry waivers before coming back into the NHL.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:23 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
If Souray were to be assigned to a European team he would not have to clear re-entry waivers to come back into the NHL. If he is assigned to a minor league north american team he would have to clear re-entry waivers before coming back into the NHL.
Wasn't there some thing about if Jagr came back, he'd have to go through waivers or was that just misinformation back in the day?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

How about this concept Oiler fans. Tambellini assigns Souray to the minors and then loans him to another organization in the AHL since he can't get any of the other GM's to tender a decent offer for the return of Souray.

So meanwhile Souray like Nylander plays for another organization but we eat the salary. This keeps his "poisonous" character and reputation from affecting our young and old prospects alike. In the meantime Souray plays in the AHL shows he's healthy and productive at a professional level. Which in turn increases his trade value and creates more reasonable trade offers for Tambellini.

If noone bites all year and Souray remains in the minors. He gets recalled in the offseason and avoids waivers then is traded with only one year left on his contract. Making him an affordable low risk, high reward, rental player with a solid year (if he avoids injury) of AHL hockey to bump his value and prove to other teams that he is ready to make a contribution.

Last edited by Grod: 09-30-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Can we send him to Stockton? I mean... that's so much closer to his kids and he's getting his money. Maybe he won't be such a poisonous *****. Plus, I wouldn't be too pissed if he was detrimental on Bryan Pitton's development.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Loweball

Not sure if this has been asked but what would happen if he played somewhere and got hurt? Would the salary come off the cap if it was a long term injury?

Hmmm...anybody remember Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 10:51 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Wasn't there some thing about if Jagr came back, he'd have to go through waivers or was that just misinformation back in the day?
A player returning from Europe will have to clear waivers, but will not have to clear re-entry waivers.

Old
09-30-2010, 10:54 PM
the word*

Demote him to wherever for the entire season. Loan him to a Euro team. Maybe he has value next year when hes on the last year of his contract.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:01 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
A player returning from Europe will have to clear waivers, but will not have to clear re-entry waivers.
Hmmm... upon further reading I'm getting mixed signals on the case of a player entering the NHL from Europe.

One thing is for sure, a player coming from Europe will have to clear some type of waivers before being allowed to join an NHL team.

After reading a bit more about this I'm guessing (and completely guessing here) that if a player has a NHL contract and is entering the NHL from Europe they will have to clear re-entry waivers. If a player doesn't have an NHL contract and is entering the NHL from Europe they will have to clear waivers.

So yeah, I have no idea what actually happens. If someone has the time and motivation to actually sit down and decipher what the rules are they're more than welcome to come in here and correct me. I've read at least 3 different ways of interpreting the waivers rules.

Ignore me, continue on with the conversation.

Old
09-30-2010, 11:14 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Can we send him to Stockton? I mean... that's so much closer to his kids and he's getting his money. Maybe he won't be such a poisonous *****. Plus, I wouldn't be too pissed if he was detrimental on Bryan Pitton's development.
I think demotions to the ECHL are banned in the CBA, but I am not sure how that works.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
No. You cant send nhl players to the echl.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck View Post
User since 2003...geez how many times does this need to be explained.
user since 2004...I thought 2-way also meant you could bring player up and down without risk of losing them to re-entry waivers

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Cerebral

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Souray is demoted to the minors and then dealt to another team, he would still need to pass through recall waivers with the team that deals for him right? If that's the case, Souray heading to the minors would mean his season is essentially over in the NHL - hopefully he's not headed to Oklahoma!

10-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
user since 2004...I thought 2-way also meant you could bring player up and down without risk of losing them to re-entry waivers
It's a loophole easily exploited in the EA franchise.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Souray is demoted to the minors and then dealt to another team, he would still need to pass through recall waivers with the team that deals for him right? If that's the case, Souray heading to the minors would mean his season is essentially over in the NHL - hopefully he's not headed to Oklahoma!
Read my post earlier. There are alternatives. He could be loaned to another franchise' affiliate. Let him grow and re-prove himself at a professional level without tampering with our developing assets. He builds his value in the minors then is dealt on draft day next spring. Or we wait until window where we can re enter him while he is exempt from waivers. Trade him as a rental and get a decent usable return. Sounds simple. We eat the same amount that we would've with re-entry and acquire an asset in the process.

Old
10-01-2010, 12:17 AM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
No matter what you believe, this isn't doing anything to help get us off the bottom of the "UFA's Preferred Destinations" list.
Keep in mind that the Caps and the Rangers have just done exactly the same thing, except with players who didn't mouth off about management, and whose only fault was that they weren't as valuable as the contracts those teams signed them to. No one thinks that NY or Washington is going to drop to the bottom of the UFA destination list because they're being mean to Nylander and Redden.

In other words, the "controversy" aspect of these things is totally trumped by location (NY) and star power (Washington). If it was that big a deal, then the Caps would have become a pariah because they ditched a guy right after signing him, when he never even did or said anything negative about them. But they're not pariahs, because most players apparently care a heck of a lot more about winning hockey games than they do about soap opera dramas.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:17 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Yeah, I thought the same after I read Matheson's twitter.

But, since Souray is just being sent through waivers, and not being sent down to the minors, he won't have to be put through re-entry waivers to be put back on an NHL roster.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Yeah, I thought the same after I read Matheson's twitter.

But, since Souray is just being sent through waivers, and not being sent down to the minors, he won't have to be put through re-entry waivers to be put back on an NHL roster.
Yeah I corrected him immediately after he posted that and he thanked "Oilers fans" later. He doesn't have to clear re-entry until he is assigned. But as I mentioned having him lent to another franchise to rebuild his stock for a season and then re-entered during an exemption window next spring/summer(can't remember the exact date) Then traded as a more valuable asset on a one year/rental contract with a year behind him to prove he's recovered from both the injury and production plague.