HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken easton s19 one piece, any way to salvage?

Old
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Concussed

vCash: 500
Broken easton s19 one piece, any way to salvage?

I picked up an easton s19 from the Blues equipment sale last weekend. I guess I didn't check it out thorough enough, and the blade had a crack in it at the heel already. Decided to play with it anyway and of course it broke the first time I had any stress on it.

I'm wondering if there is any way to convert it to a two piece, and if it would be decent at all or should I just throw it in the garbage? Would I cut off the blade and put a tapered blade in somehow or buy a regular blade and put it in the handle end?

Any ideas?

Concussed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Islander102

Is the stick broken at the blade? If so, then you can cut it at the taper (generally right below where it says S19) and put in a tapered blade. I wouldnt recommend flipping it and using a standard.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
pass the bisk

SRS repairs

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Concussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Is the stick broken at the blade? If so, then you can cut it at the taper (generally right below where it says S19) and put in a tapered blade. I wouldnt recommend flipping it and using a standard.
Yeah, It's broken at the heel of the blade.

Old
10-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackesNBlack View Post
Yeah, It's broken at the heel of the blade.
So you should be alright. Cut it about a half inch to 1/3 of an inch below the S19 logo and put in a tapered blade.

Old
10-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Concussed

Well, I must have forgot that the shaft is actually an elliptical shape towards the blade. None of the tapered blades would work either, without cutting at least a 1/3 of the stick down and then it would be far too short to be useful. Looks like this is my new self defense weapon if I ever need one.

Thanks anyhow for trying to help.

Old
10-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Well, I must have forgot that the shaft is actually an elliptical shape towards the blade. None of the tapered blades would work either, without cutting at least a 1/3 of the stick down and then it would be far too short to be useful. Looks like this is my new self defense weapon if I ever need one.

Well, if you can't use a tapered blade anyway, flip it around and throw a regular blade in the handle. Better then using it as firewood or a doorstop. Especially if you play any non-league games, like if you go to pick-up or just play with your friends sometimes. If the game doesn't count for anything, it'd be fine to use

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I just cut the blade off of a Synergy SE (cracked) and the opening at the bottom is too big for a tapered blade (already fell out), but also looks slightly too small for a standard blade. I haven't tried to put one in yet, just my guess from the eye test.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I just cut the blade off of a Synergy SE (cracked) and the opening at the bottom is too big for a tapered blade (already fell out), but also looks slightly too small for a standard blade. I haven't tried to put one in yet, just my guess from the eye test.
Actually, upon further review, I might be able to shove it in if the shaft expands enough when heated up.

Old
10-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Islander102

Quote:

I could have sworn that I saw several people put tapered blades in the elliptical portion of the S17/S19. I will try and see if it works this week, I think there is a broken S17 lying around here at the rink, and let you know if you can do anything. Sorry about that if I ****ed up

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, upon further review, I might be able to shove it in if the shaft expands enough when heated up.
Yeah the ST's have a standard sized shaft running pretty low down. One of the few high end composites that you can fit a standard into without flipping it.

Old
10-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
I could have sworn that I saw several people put tapered blades in the elliptical portion of the S17/S19. I will try and see if it works this week, I think there is a broken S17 lying around here at the rink, and let you know if you can do anything. Sorry about that if I ****ed up

Yeah the ST's have a standard sized shaft running pretty low down. One of the few high end composites that you can fit a standard into without flipping it.
It fit and played alright. Slap shots seemed less powerful. The blade is a cheaper composite I found randomly a while back in a curve I used to like but not so much anymore. Knowing one will fit, I'll put a higher end one in the Sakic/Naslund pattern and use it as a back-up.

Old
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
ponder

Just curious, but anyone know the deal on chopping off the blade on a Bauer one95 and sticking in a new one? Does it work fine, or do you have to flip it around and put the blade in the wrong end?

Mostly just curious, I have a one95 and the blade is not broken, but has a good sized skate gouge and may break one day.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Islander102

I just found one and put in a tapered blade. Works fine. Word of advice is to not use a Bauer blade. They have smaller hosels for whatever reason. Use any other brand, and it will work like new if you cut at the fuse point.