HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Meh - Habs Lose 5-3

Old
09-30-2010, 10:54 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Also, let's not forget his "Pressured-at-the-blueline-stumble-on-one-leg-and-take-an-awkward-30-seconds-to-fall-while-the-opposing-player-has-already-stolen-the-puck-and-flies-up-the-ice-with-it-shorthanded" move.
you guys forgot the head fakes going into the corner move. You know, the ones that never fooled anybody.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:13 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
you guys forgot the head fakes going into the corner move. You know, the ones that never fooled anybody.
I swear he got all his moves from the Mighty Ducks movies.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:14 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

What if Coach Bombay didn't blow a .08?

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

We really need a third D on the right right side of the D. We're fine with Gorges and PK. But O'Byrne and Webber can't cut it and Spacek can't play there. Do whatever you must Gauthier, bring in Bieksa or whatever.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Not that big of deal. Sabres were stacked, we weren't. Time to cut some more and have the whole team ready for the Isles and crush them. That will be good for the confidence.

Pouliot was showing some great signs tonight. Really encouraging. And I like Alex Henry....I guess I'm the only one.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 403
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I really can't wait for the next game

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
"Cover your eye marc-andre, COVER YOUR EYE!"

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Stradale

You guys know what's funny? That this page only has 4 pages.

Now, let's imagine if it was Price that was in net and let in 5 goals WITH Halak 4-1 wins against the Stanley Cup winner!

That would have been a sure headline tomorrow in every newspaper and this PGT would probably have 30 pages long.

Auld had a good start in the game but there was a couple of very weak goals he let in later in the game but still, nobody is talking about that here. On l'antichambre they were bashing almost every single players in the line up but not much about Auld. I can't imagine if it was Price that was between the pipes tonight with the same results.. Price would be all over the news, boards, newspaper tomorrow.

Thank god Price wasn't the goalie tonight.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Crystal Met

akost was his usual self... flashes of brilliance then tripping over his stick..he's still a physical force and will be good for 25 goals imo.

pouliot had lots of chances.. so thats positive, once he'll score he will go on a streak like last year ( or so i hope).

Weber made some good play,he was def better then obyrn and picard.. So its between him and Henry for the last spot ( or maybe both?)

As for the Forwards is there even a spot ? White should see plenty of Nhl games this year no doubt. Maxwell improved from last year too.

buuuuuuuuut the biggest positive of the night was seeing Lapierre fight..caught me off guard!

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:38 AM
RC51

Price costs the Habs another game
If Price were any good he would have started instead of Auld so it's all Price's fault again oh yes? HALAK just keeps on winning..

I just thought I would just beat the french press to the Headlines

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 04:46 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post

Now, let's imagine if it was Price that was in net and let in 5 goals WITH Halak 4-1 wins against the Stanley Cup winner!

That would have been a sure headline tomorrow in every newspaper and this PGT would probably have 30 pages long.

Auld had a good start in the game but there was a couple of very weak goals he let in later in the game but still, nobody is talking about that here. On l'antichambre they were bashing almost every single players in the line up but not much about Auld. I can't imagine if it was Price that was between the pipes tonight with the same results.. Price would be all over the news, boards, newspaper tomorrow.

He was dominating and nominated 1st star, allowing one goal on 31 shots...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post

Not to be too harsh, but I believe everybody expects that from Auld. As a matter of fact, the expectation level is at its lowest right now. We're still in "Why him" mode....

Old
10-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that big of deal. Sabres were stacked, we weren't. Time to cut some more and have the whole team ready for the Isles and crush them. That will be good for the confidence.

Pouliot was showing some great signs tonight. Really encouraging. And I like Alex Henry....I guess I'm the only one.
Where do you see encouraging signs from Pouliot? He keeps trying to beat defenders with dipsy doodle moves that don't work.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:

Me too, Me too.

He is very aggressive in his own end... He made some good plays... clearing out of Roy from the front of the net (although it might have been Gerbe); most importantly he tries to make his play early on the rush (not collapsing and making himself a screen).

He is a quality vet.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I agree with your assessment. If they stay healthy, i think they could even beat out Boston for first. Their kids looked great tonight. Unfortunately it was tough game to really analyze either team. Especially when our supposed NHL d-men didn't play very well. A lot of our success in the first couple of weeks of the season will rely on how well Gorges and Price play. I'm not really worried about our offence at this point.
With Savard's brains all scrambled, I'd question if Boston is even a lock for the playoffs. He's the guy that runs their PP and could get a few goals out of powder puff Horton.

Buffalo is small and quick up front, I'm not sure if their defense will hold up plus I doubt Miller will have another moster year like last year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Where do you see encouraging signs from Pouliot? He keeps trying to beat defenders with dipsy doodle moves that don't work.
He used his feet way more. He had quality chances. Was more present and you saw that chemistry from the first time that line was there. Still things to improve....this is Pouliot we're talking about, not sure why he suddenly has to be a top 3 player....The guy is a work in progress. Was acquired that way, and still is.

Old
10-01-2010, 08:12 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Dude, the Blues had their nhl lineup, the Hawks were missing their top 6 and their top 2 d-men. Why bring it up? What does it prove?
This is dumb....30 shots are 30 shots. Other goalies (including the chosen one) played much worse this preseason against teams who didn't dress their full roster.

Now, it's just one game, so it's no big deal...but c'mon

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
"Cover your eye marc-andre, COVER YOUR EYE!"
It's the goalllllllllllllllieeeeeeeeeeee

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! !!!!!!

I'm sure MAB likes to re-act the whole movie at times.

You know MAB has likely tried to act out this whole scene by himself in the room.

"Marc Andre Bergeron, St-Louis-de-France, Quebec! DUCKS FLY TOGETHERR!!!"

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
parachutist

I was really impressed with Kostitsyn. He was often on the puck and seems quick like he was 3 years ago. I'm hoping they pair him with Gomez and Gionta. And put Eller with Plekanec and Cammalleri.

Although he took 2 lame penalties, I am more and more impressed by Ben Maxwell. Last year, he'd never even touch the puck. This year, he seems like he got used to the NHL speed and he's making some good plays. I think he'll be an NHLer sooner than later.

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
This is dumb....30 shots are 30 shots. Other goalies (including the chosen one) played much worse this preseason against teams who didn't dress their full roster.

Now, it's just one game, so it's no big deal...but c'mon
It's not even comparable. The Blues played yesterday with their opening day lineup. The Hawks did not have Bolland, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith or Seabrook in their lineup.

Halak played just as bad as our chosen one when his team was half filled with AHL guys. Look at the Florida game, more nhl guys in the lineup = better performance.

There's nothing to come on about. The poster's point is useless. So Halak and an nhl lineup blues beat the Chicago's farms team 4-1...what does that prove?

Price wasn't the only goalie that had crap games against lesser lineups in the pre-season, Lundqvist, Luongo, Backstrom and even Halak had terrible games earlier in the preseason and it's natural considering that teams are half filled with ahl and junior players who make mistakes.

I don't think it's a relavant point to bring up Halak in that Chicago game when the blues had their roster set and Chicago had all their pluggers playing.

It's not about defending, it's about actually looking at the facts. That poster tried to stir up crap when there was nothing to stir up. Insinuating that it's a bad trade, but Price played just as good against Florida, who's lineup was much close to their actual nhl roster than Chicago's was(No Sharp, Bolland, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook

And don't tell me you wouldn't have played down the performance if Price did that same feat agaisnt the Hawks had we had an nhl lineup and they had an ahl one? Considering you refer to him as the "chosen one" and always have negative connotations when you do speak of him, I'm pretty sure you would. Heck even I would. That Hawks team was not the Stanley cup champions one. No Hossa, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Keith Seabrook, Bolland, let's not forget that they also traded, Ladd, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Eager and Sopel. 12 of the 20 players that played in last years cup finals did not play yesterday. Every player that played in blues final season game(aside from Kariya) was there. Get real.

Last edited by Andy: 10-01-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 08:59 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Me too, Me too.

He is very aggressive in his own end... He made some good plays... clearing out of Roy from the front of the net (although it might have been Gerbe); most importantly he tries to make his play early on the rush (not collapsing and making himself a screen).

He is a quality vet.
Count me in on the Henry bandwagon. I thought he did what very few Habs did last night, and that was keep it simple. Played a solid game and knew his role.

A lot of guys were simply trying to do too much last night, which shows the importance of Martin's system and sticking to it.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
I was really impressed with Kostitsyn. He was often on the puck and seems quick like he was 3 years ago. I'm hoping they pair him with Gomez and Gionta. And put Eller with Plekanec and Cammalleri.

Although he took 2 lame penalties, I am more and more impressed by Ben Maxwell. Last year, he'd never even touch the puck. This year, he seems like he got used to the NHL speed and he's making some good plays. I think he'll be an NHLer sooner than later.
Yeah I noticed it too. I mean its just Pre-Season but AK46 looks leaps better than Benny and imo thats a problem for Benny since AK has played like **** last 2 years.

Ak was pressuring the puck, playing smart, making nice dekes and moves, he looked really slick and comfortable. I think he has some Chemistry with Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
It's not even comparable. The Blues played yesterday with their opening day lineup. The Hawks did not have Bolland, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith or Seabrook in their lineup.

Halak played just as bad as our chosen one when his team was half filled with AHL guys. Look at the Florida game, more nhl guys in the lineup = better performance.

There's nothing to come on about. The poster's point is useless. So Halak and an nhl lineup blues beat the Chicago's farms team 4-1...what does that prove?

Price wasn't the only goalie that had crap games against lesser lineups in the pre-season, Lundqvist, Luongo, Backstrom and even Halak had terrible games earlier in the preseason and it's natural considering that teams are half filled with ahl and junior players who make mistakes.

I don't think it's a relavant point to bring up Halak in that Chicago game when the blues had their roster set and Chicago had all their pluggers playing.

It's not about defending, it's about actually looking at the facts. That poster tried to stir up crap when there was nothing to stir up. Insinuating that it's a bad trade, but Price played just as good against Florida, who's lineup was much close to their actual nhl roster than Chicago's was(No Sharp, Bolland, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook).
Halak is too good for the AHL

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Loved McGuire making a big deal every time Eller made a mistake then saying he should be in the AHL to start the season.
In all honesty, he was talking pretty big about him during the beginning of the game. It wasn't until the third period he changed his mind and started talking about that Eller maybe isn't ready.

And I can see his point. Eller has terrific attributes no dubt; size, smartness and skating. But he just seems some miliseconds to slow in his head. And considering what a prospect he is, it might be incredibly stupid to rush him. So for his development it might be benifitial to atleast start off in the AHL dominating and playing big minutes.

You all seemed to buy that idea with Subban last year so why not with Eller?

Swe_hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Not to be too harsh, but I believe everybody expects that from Auld. As a matter of fact, the expectation level is at its lowest right now. We're still in "Why him" mode....
Watching him play so far is not very encouraging,if Price starts to struggle we could be in for a very long season.I know it's just pre season but I'm not a huge fan,glad he was only signed for 1 year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
TroyM

I thought Pouliot showed a lot of good things today. Specifically that he may be able to fit in on a third line role if required. I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but I can't be the only one who noticed him throwing all his weight into at least 4-5 big hits on the forecheck. He was slamming the defensemen at every opportunity for the first half of the game at least. He also had some quality scoring chances, but yeah, I wish he buried one...

Not saying I think he's the best player. He's still raw as hell. But I liked his game a lot tonight, it gave me a confidence boost, and hopefully him one too. I just hope he keeps that hitting in his game because he is a big man and he can throw some nice checks.

Not too much else to be impressed about tonight though. Eller had a great first couple of shifts that made me think we gotta play him as a center. But he trailed off a bit, but I'm not worried. White looked good again. Pyatt was Pyatt, solid and enjoyable to watch.

Kostitsyn had a good third period but I felt a pretty terrible sequence of shifts earlier in the game, falling all over the place and making bad plays. Subban honestly was really disappointing to me today, but he's going to be awesome. Just tried to do everything, too much offensively. I feel like if I'm on the PP with Gomez I want to give him the puck. Gomez is the best at entering the zone with the puck and getting things going, and Subban was failing at that all night. He's gotta use his teammates more effectively and not try to rush so much as exciting as it looks and must be to do, heh.

Other than that a whole lot of average. Henry was the only defenseman that actually I would say was good, and the rest of the players were average to 'meh'. Kudos to Lapierre though for the fight, he looked good, strong, ready to drop'em more and knock some heads perhaps.

Anyway, preseason, not concerned. Hoping for a real good show with our full line up on Saturday though!

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote