HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meh - Habs Lose 5-3

Old
10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

vCash: 500
Based on everything I've heard/read about Auld, he was brought in more as a mentor/role model than a quality backup goaltender. I know it's not what the fans want to hear but I doubt he was brought in because he was the best backup goaltender in terms of quality, he was more brought in to mentor Carey. I don't have much of a problem with that as I think with the right mindset Carey can definitely be one of the elite goalies in the league soon. We just have to hope and pray that Carey can stay healthy and we can get away with only playing Auld against weaker teams.

In terms of tonight:

Loved: Pouliot, Eller
Liked: Weber, White, Pyatt, AKost, Lapierre
meh: Gomez, Gionta, Subban, Spacek (I expect them to step it up come regular season)
wtf: O'Byrne

Last edited by That Habs Fan: 10-01-2010 at 10:40 AM.
That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
It's not even comparable. The Blues played yesterday with their opening day lineup. The Hawks did not have Bolland, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith or Seabrook in their lineup.

Halak played just as bad as our chosen one when his team was half filled with AHL guys. Look at the Florida game, more nhl guys in the lineup = better performance.

There's nothing to come on about. The poster's point is useless. So Halak and an nhl lineup blues beat the Chicago's farms team 4-1...what does that prove?

Price wasn't the only goalie that had crap games against lesser lineups in the pre-season, Lundqvist, Luongo, Backstrom and even Halak had terrible games earlier in the preseason and it's natural considering that teams are half filled with ahl and junior players who make mistakes.

I don't think it's a relavant point to bring up Halak in that Chicago game when the blues had their roster set and Chicago had all their pluggers playing.

It's not about defending, it's about actually looking at the facts. That poster tried to stir up crap when there was nothing to stir up. Insinuating that it's a bad trade, but Price played just as good against Florida, who's lineup was much close to their actual nhl roster than Chicago's was(No Sharp, Bolland, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook

And don't tell me you wouldn't have played down the performance if Price did that same feat agaisnt the Hawks had we had an nhl lineup and they had an ahl one? Considering you refer to him as the "chosen one" and always have negative connotations when you do speak of him, I'm pretty sure you would. Heck even I would. That Hawks team was not the Stanley cup champions one. No Hossa, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Keith Seabrook, Bolland, let's not forget that they also traded, Ladd, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Eager and Sopel. 12 of the 20 players that played in last years cup finals did not play yesterday. Every player that played in blues final season game(aside from Kariya) was there. Get real.
Was this long reply really warranted? I clearly said that other goalies did worse against AHL teams. LMAO, when do I speak negatively about Price? And he was the chosen one. He was picked by the organization to be the starter. Please don't talk to me with "if's". "If's" are for losers and apologists.

Price hasn't looked that good this preseason... facing AHL teams.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Based on everything I've heard/read about Auld, he was brought in more as a mentor/role model than a quality backup goaltender. I know it's not what the fans want to hear but I doubt he was brought in because he was the best backup goaltender in terms of quality, he was more brought in to mentor Carey. I don't have much of a problem with that as I think with the right mindset Carey can definitely be one of the elite goalies in the league soon. We just have to hope and pray that Carey can stay healthy and we can get away with only playing Auld against weaker teams.

In terms of tonight:

meh: Gomez, Gionta, Subban, Spacek (I expect them to step it up come regular season)
Why not get both ? Habs and Price need it.

Ellis would had been the ideal solution
Desjardins or even Sanford would had been fine.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

I hate the thought of the Habs going into the season while playing at the level they showed last night. In a home game in which many of the regulars were dressed they were thoroughly outplayed. There was no offense from their top two lines. Their turnovers were appalling, as was their confusion in their own end. The Sabres plucked them like turkeys.

As for the notion that Auld was brought in primarily to mentor Price, I doubt it. Auld was not the first goaltender Gauthier had in mind and he obviously would have preferred Ellis. Although the circumstances are far different, it's almost like saying the Bruins should keep Thomas to mentor Rask.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 10-01-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Was this long reply really warranted? I clearly said that other goalies did worse against AHL teams. LMAO, when do I speak negatively about Price? And he was the chosen one. He was picked by the organization to be the starter. Please don't talk to me with "if's". "If's" are for losers and apologists.

Price hasn't looked that good this preseason... facing AHL teams
No he hasn't looked good against Ahl teams, but like you neither have other goalies including Halak, Luongo, Lundqvist, Backstom. But these goalies were playing with half ahl rosters, not all goals are goalie mistakes.

So Halak played well with an entire nhl lineup vs an entire ahl one? What's the point of the poster? What does that have to do with the trade?

So Price played bad against like ahl teams? Like halak, and those other goalies did. But played extremely well once he had a better team...

hmm maybe goalies aren't actually the ones that win games? Shocking.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

How exactly would Desjardins be a mentor for Price?

Agreed on Sanford, not so much on Ellis, Ellis still has aspirations of being number 1. Price needs an older guy who is okay with being number 2 to give him the mental confidence to be the best number 1 he can be.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
The Right Price

Nah, we shouln't panic. We didn't dress Pleks or Cammy so this game is therefore a useless measure stick. Some positives though, like Eller. Man this guy has it all, what a prospect!!

Subban needs to pass more!! Period.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I hate the thought of the Habs going into the season while playing at the level they showed last night. In a home game in which many of the regulars were dressed they were thoroughly outplayed. There was no offense from their top two lines. Their turnovers were appalling, as was their confusion in their own end. The Sabres plucked them like turkeys.
how can anyone judge a game where we're missing markov, hamrlik, gorges and gill?

take the top 4 D off of any team and see how they do. Even with some decent forwards, you can't do much without quality defensemen moving the puck properly and winning battles in the defensive zone.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
No he hasn't looked good against Ahl teams, but like you neither have other goalies including Halak, Luongo, Lundqvist, Backstom. But these goalies were playing with half ahl rosters, not all goals are goalie mistakes.

So Halak played well with an entire nhl lineup vs an entire ahl one? What's the point of the poster? What does that have to do with the trade?

So Price played bad against like ahl teams? Like halak, and those other goalies did. But played extremely well once he had a better team...

hmm maybe goalies aren't actually the ones that win games? Shocking.
I guess I'll take the bait, as I always do...

That "AHL team" outshot the "NHL Blues" 14-5 in the 1st period of last night's game, and Halak did what he usually does in those circumstances: shut the door. We should all know by now how that sets the tone for the rest of a game, and that getting in shooters' heads early in games seems to be one of Halak's greatest assets, regardless of their "calibre".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:11 AM
TomPlex

**** this ****** board. Price arguments in a PGT for a game that he didn't even play in. I wonder if Buddah has room in his suitcase...

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:12 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:

As for the notion that Auld was brought in primarily to mentor Price, I doubt it. Auld was not the first goaltender Gauthier had in mind and he obviously would have preferred Ellis. Although the circumstances are far different, it's almost like saying the Bruins should keep Thomas to mentor Rask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
how can anyone judge a game where we're missing markov, hamrlik, gorges and gill?

take the top 4 D off of any team and see how they do. Even with some decent forwards, you can't do much without quality defensemen moving the puck properly and winning battles in the defensive zone.

Exactly, and no Plekanec and Cammalleri makes a HUGE difference. We had almost half our payroll that wasen't playing last night (27 million +) in just 7 players (Pleks, Cammy, Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, Gill, Price).

I would really take this result with a grain of salt...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post

The forwards--the best forwards--looked awful. Only AKost looked halway decent. The scoring came from unlikely sources that the Habs wouldn't be able to count on. And, as I forgot to add, our great hope, Subban, played very poorly.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
**** this ****** board. Price arguments in a PGT for a game that he didn't even play in. I wonder if Buddah has room in his suitcase...
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.....

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Why not get both ? Habs and Price need it.

Ellis would had been the ideal solution
Desjardins or even Sanford would had been fine.
Huh? Desjardins wasn't even a starter in the AHL.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:28 AM
number 11

Quote:
The forwards--the best forwards--looked awful. Only AKost looked halway decent. The scoring came from unlikely sources that the Habs wouldn't be able to count on. And, as I forgot to add, our great hope, Subban, played very poorly.
subban is going to have bad games, he's a rookie.

back to my original point, wait until we have a full team to judge our performance.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
bjshab

Subban was playing pretty great in the first and early second, but that's all that I saw of the game.

bjshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:03 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
In terms of tonight:

Not only based on yesterday performance, if O'byrne doesn't measure 6'5", then he's not even good enough in AHL. Sometimes, size is really exagerated in NHL.

I'm praying that Tinordi is not O'byrne 2.0.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

That "AHL team" outshot the "NHL Blues" 14-5 in the 1st period of last night's game, and Halak did what he usually does in those circumstances: shut the door. We should all know by now how that sets the tone for the rest of a game, and that getting in shooters' heads early in games seems to be one of Halak's greatest assets, regardless of their "calibre".
And regardless...what does that have to do with the trade? Because that was the whole point of why the other poster brought up the Hawks game saying "Halak let in 1 goal against the Stanley Cup champs" the same champs who didn't have Hossa, Bolland, Sharp, Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook and didn't have Ladd, Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel, Versteeg because they were traded?

What's the argument? did not Price play well against Florida? Why is this something bad against our team? because Price struggles in a couple of pre-season games? Halak did in his as well, so did Lundqvist, Luongo, Backstrom....what's teh poster insinuating? The blues had their entire nhl lineup that they finished the season with.

Would you give Price the same credit had Montreal had their full line up and the Hawks were missing the same players?

Did you watch the blues game last night? How many shots were scoring chances? How many were high percentage plays? We saw a lesser Toronto team outshoot many teams on most nights, that doesn't mean they were always the better team and the goalies had to stand on their heads.

It's a non-issue, but was brought up as though it was one.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjshab View Post
Subban was playing pretty great in the first and early second, but that's all that I saw of the game.
Made a few mistakes and a costly penalty but that's what rookies do

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

The difference is the quality of shots. With bad D is that other teams can just skate around your D and make paces from board to board which are hard to stop or they could have the time to set up and release quality shots. With good defence ( like we saw the habs play in last years playoffs ) teams keep the shots to the outside and when teams can't get into good shooting lanes they just dump the puck on net for an easy save by the goalie.

I play goalie not profesionally but already I can see the difference between a good and bad D. When I play with a bad D teams can get quality scoring opportunities on me very easily and take less shots but score more but when I play with a good D teams can take alot of shots on me but they're ussually very easy to save.

Think of an oddman rush 2 on 1 or even 3 on 1 a good defenceman can cut off the passing lanes as well shorten the shooting lanes with something as simple as good positioning and all the goalie has to do is square himself off with the puck carrier. A bad defenceman equals nice pass and impossible save or a goalie needs to cheat towards the other player coming in and opens up some of the net to shoot at.

I don't want to discredit Halak because he's great but I'm just saying the quality of theteam and especially the defence in front of a goalie makes a HUGE difference.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
I keep liking Eller more and more each and every day. The guy can't bust.

I mean, he's got sick skills, and he's willing to take hits and get into those dirty areas all the time... At least 3 times tonight he created something after a whistle in Buffalo's crease.

I like him. And playing him at C is definitely getting a more interesting option.

I also don't get the hate for Halpern. The guy is a great, gritty veteran who'll help a lot on the forecheck.

White is a gamer.

Subban was drunk.

Kostitsyn played not so bad, had chances. Once again, he's inconsistant, but as long as he gives his team something like tonight night in and night out, I'll be fine with him.

Pouliot had a good first half... Less spectacular 2nd half.

Gionta was drunk.

Refs were crap.

Buffalo = USA's National diving team.
Derek Roy didn't earn the nickname Derek the Diver in Jr for nothing

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Loved McGuire making a big deal every time Eller made a mistake then saying he should be in the AHL to start the season.
Does McGuire have something that is the opposite of "monster"

You know how McGuire always says "he's gets it" about some players? McGuire doesn't "get it".

Old
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that big of deal. Sabres were stacked, we weren't. Time to cut some more and have the whole team ready for the Isles and crush them. That will be good for the confidence.

Pouliot was showing some great signs tonight. Really encouraging. And I like Alex Henry....I guess I'm the only one.
Nope. There are two of us who think Henry is doing fine.

If you want a guy with size who can hold off some of these bigger players, Henry works just fine. Just don't expect him to win any fights. He isn't as slow as a lot of folks are making out either

Old
10-01-2010, 01:03 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I didnt get to watch the whole game but form what I saw I wasnt very impressed...
the PP was awful... but that isnt shocking with who was in th elineup...
and Gomez... i could punch him in the throat ffs
lazy bum out there last night

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

Price hasn't looked that good this preseason... facing AHL teams.
Phew! Glad to hear you are 100% behind our chosen one . . . errr guy.